PDA

View Full Version : Futurama Cancelled

Jek Porky 2002
05-17-2003, 04:24 PM
It is now official that there will not be a sixth season of Futurama!

I think it is a real shame, because it is a great show and Fox just wouldn't give it a chance.

So, will there be some big series finale or will the show just simply dissapear?

2-1B
05-17-2003, 04:38 PM
5 years is enough of "a chance." :D

James Boba Fettfield
05-17-2003, 04:46 PM
The people involved with the show have been laid off for awhile now, dude. All "new" episodes have just been older episodes that were never shown due to the show being preempted for the NFL (go Giants) games.

Jek Porky 2002
05-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
5 years is enough of "a chance." :D

It might well be, but there was a massive petition put out on the net, it was moved to Cartoon Network where it was a huge hit, and yet they still replaced it with repeats of The Simpsons and King Of The Hill, I don't really call that a fair chance!

bobafrett
05-18-2003, 01:11 PM
That just makes me mad. The one show I really liked, the one cartoon that makes me laugh and now they are pulling it from Cartoon NitWits?

Do they at least plan on releasing all 5 seasons on DVD? I've got the first season.

LTBasker
05-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Boba, don't frett. ;) They're not pulling it from Cartoon Network, right now it's officially canceled on Fox, I think it's still gonna be shown on Cartoon Network. :)

Jek Porky 2002
05-18-2003, 02:50 PM
I think they do plan to release all episodes onto DVD but I think it will work out as only four seasons.

Season 3 is out in the UK on 2nd June!!

bobafrett
05-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Boba, don't frett. ;) They're not pulling it from Cartoon Network, right now it's officially canceled on Fox, I think it's still gonna be shown on Cartoon Network. :)

*Phew* *breathes sigh of relief*

It's one of the few shows that my son and I agree on. We went to the grocery store a little late tonight, and when we got to the car he looks at the clock and says "Dad, is that the right time? We missed Futuroma".

JediTricks
05-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Caesar, I don't think "5 years is enough of a chance" is a fair statement in this case because for most of the time the show was in first-run, it was relegated to the worst timeslot on Fox's Sunday lineup, 7pm EST/PST. The show continued to be consistantly edgy, funny, silly, and great-looking all at the same time with very few hiccups, yet Fox left it in the "maybe kids will tune in" timeslot - a timeslot which doesn't even make sense considering how adult the material often is.

Anyway, the show was canned well before the season even started, this season's 16 eps were already completed by the time Fox dropped the axe so it was cheaper to air the remaining eps.

derek
05-20-2003, 10:20 PM
most of the time the show was in first-run, it was relegated to the worst timeslot on Fox's Sunday lineup,

i totally agree.:) during the entire football season, i hardly ever saw futurama, as most afternoon games ran over into it's time slot. it's a shame fox is running re-runs of the simpsons and king of the hill when they could put family guy or futurama in those spots! :cry:

mini-rock
05-22-2003, 02:22 AM
I never miss it on Cartoon Network. IMO Futurama and Family Guy have a better home there.

plasticfetish
05-22-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The show continued to be consistantly edgy, funny, silly, and great-looking all at the same time ...
I agree. I'd even say that the look of the show seemed to spur the Simpsons forward a little (quality wise.)

I'll also agree with mini-rock that it probably has a better home on the Cartoon Network.

James Boba Fettfield
06-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Sweet three toed sloth of the ice planet Hoth!

Anyone see Hermes say that on tonight's Futurama on FOX? Fox said it was a new episode, and I never saw it before.

It involved these space bees....I don't want to give away anymore in case you haven't seen it. But Hermes said Hoth, cool reference.

JediTricks
06-02-2003, 02:58 AM
Good ep, not entirely of the "ha ha" variety though. I did indeed notice that reference, as well as the more-obvious 2001 reference (which was made extra funny by sheer coincidence that 2001 was on TCM today). The art was especially nice in this ep too, as were the past-ep-references (Leela seems to know a lot about Fry's life in the thirty-first century ;)).

I believe the last 5 eps of the series are going to run starting with this one and following throughout the summer. Stupid Fox should NEVER have cancelled this show.

Beast
06-02-2003, 03:52 AM
If they should cancel anything, it should have been the Simpsons. Now there is a show that's become old and tiring. But no, far funnier and original shows like Futurama and Family Guy die a terrible death to postponments and rescheduling. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-02-2003, 04:46 AM
I was gonna suggest that, but felt it might not be too well received since the series still seems to have a number of loyalists. However, I will point out that while The Simpsons' ratings have slipped in the past few years, Family Guy has been cancelled for almost 2 years and people are still talking about it and asking for new eps. According to IMDB, there are over 100,000 signatures on a petition to bring it back.

bobafrett
06-02-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm a little upset, I was used to watching Futurama, and Family Guy on the Cartoon network on Sunday nights and they now just have it Monday through Thursday. One less night, plus I didn't see the episode of Futurama on Fox last night, so now I'm twice as upset.

JediTricks
06-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Last night's episode was really great, definitely on my top 10 list. Hermes-A taking a long time to think about whether or not to blast open the airlock was a great bit of what my friends keep telling me is "more of the show's dry humor" (but if it's dry humor, why did I wet my pants with laughter? ;)). I can't believe how much garbage Fox keeps yet they can't keep this gem around. And it still looks fantastic.

Jek Porky 2002
06-28-2003, 11:57 AM
That episode with the space bees was great, and it fits in with the smallest of refrences in the very first episode

When Professor Farnsworth hands the crew thier new carear chips from his old crew, he tips them out of an envelope marked 'contents of Space Wasp's stomach'!

This was not a 'funny' episode, but it was exelent and a great example of what I love about Futurama.

You've got comical episodes like The 'Anthology of Interest' episodes, 'Why Must I be a Crustacean In Love?' and 'Amazonian Women In The Mood', but then you have intreguing like the one that was on a few weeks back, or the one where you find ou that is was Nibbler that pushed Fry into the cryo-tube, and then there are the very touching episodes like, 'The Luck Of The Fryrish', and Jurassic Bark!

Sad to see it go!

plasticfetish
06-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Sad to see it go!
You know ... the show's on at 11pm (m-f) on the Cartoon Network here ... I'm enjoying that time slot and it being on that channel about a hundred times more. I watch it pretty much every night now, instead of wandering to it on Fox whenever I happen to remember it's on.

JediTricks
08-04-2003, 10:16 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Next week's episode is the last Futurama ever. :cry:

Futurama got nominated for an emmy 2 weeks ago for the surprisingly-touching "Jurassic Bark" from earlier this season which supposedly brought in a bunch of new viewers. Smart move Fox, cancelling an emmy-nominated show just as it's bringing in new viewers despite the horrendous timeslot you gave it. :mad:

Farewell, good friend Futurama. You were a brilliant, lovely, hilarious show who deserved better treatment than what you received from the fools running your network. :frus: You were arguably the best-made cartoon sitcom ever and I'll never forget you even if I grow so old that the Sunset Squad comes to take me away and throw me in the Near-Death Star.

Kidhuman
08-05-2003, 09:18 AM
At least it is on Cartoon Network. I lovd this show, but like JT said, the timeslot is all wrong.

Dr Zoltar
08-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Dang, I missed last Sunday's episode because of its crummy time slot. What was the episode about?

El Chuxter
08-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Bender became the newest cast member of "All My Circuits" as, well, himself, and was a bad influence on children. Hermes and the Professor started Fathers Against Rude Television (imagine the acronym and you'll get it :)), which Bender joined after he realized he'd influenced kids to steal his own stuff.

Fox cancel an Emmy-nominated show? Isn't that what their standard practice is? And yet they advertise crap like Oliver Beene to death before it ever even airs, so you're sick of it even before you realize it sucks!

(I love the way an ad for that show including the line "I just got my *** handed to me by a clown" aired during the Fox Box on Saturday morning. Way to go corrupting kids, Fox!)

JediTricks
08-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Because of the episode shifting, Fox played 3 Bender-themed eps in a row over the last 3 weeks, so I think the most recent ep that Chux described is more apt than it even intended.

Kidhuman, Futurama reruns are currently off Cartoon Network, but I believe they are bringing it back by the end of this year for more reruns - they've included it in their recent advertising along with some of their other Adult Swim shows (some of which aren't even on the air right now, but will be coming back in the Fall).

DewMan37
08-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Further proof that Fox is run by communists. :frus:

Jedi Clint
08-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Further proof that Fox is run by communists. :frus:

What? :crazed:

plasticfetish
08-09-2003, 04:42 AM
What? :crazed:
Shhh ... don't rile the inmates.

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Rupert Murdoch is an Auzzie, not a Commie. :D

Well, tonight was the last ep, and a bittersweet parting it was indeed. It was a fairly funny ep and romantic (as much as Futurama could ever be called that, anyway ;)) but just left me wanting more. Oh well, that's that.

El Chuxter
08-11-2003, 01:15 PM
All it needed was Crushinator and Santa to be a full-on robot reunion show.

Even if it wasn't a proper final ep, nice to see the series end with a little Fry/Leela resolution.

And, as the not-so-subtle jab at Fox said, "See you on another network!"

Kidhuman
08-11-2003, 08:55 PM
I was reading in TV guide that cartoon network might pick this series up. They were drawing 5 million people a night according to Nielson(sp?) ratings. That was Half of what Fox was drawing. It returns to CN on Nov. 2nd. It is also on TBS at 2pm.

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 11:29 PM
It is on Cartoon Network tonight, according to listings. 11:30 instead of 11 now. I would LOVE for CN to pick it another season though, that would kick Bender's discarded crotch plate. :D

BTW, Santa the robot was one of the names of robots on the big wheel of robots, he was a few names before Bender. I didn't see the Crushinator there though, but nearly EVERY other bot they've ever shown besides, including a few that didn't have hands.

AT-AT Man
08-12-2003, 04:10 PM
yeah it was on Cartoon Network last night.

RooJay
09-05-2003, 03:09 AM
If they should cancel anything, it should have been the Simpsons.

You dare speak such blasphemy in my presence?!!

JediTricks
09-05-2003, 04:39 AM
Here, let me:
THE SIMPSONS SHOULD HAVE BEEN CANCELLED YEARS AGO TO MAKE WAY FOR QUALITY PROGRAMMING LIKE FUTURAMA, WHICH IS SUPERIOR TO THE LAST FEW SEASONS OF THE SIMPSONS IN TERMS OF COMEDY, WRITING, ENTERTAINMENT VALUE, ANIMATION, AND VOICE DIRECTION.

The choice timeslot between the simpsons and whatever garbage is on at 9pm est/pst on Fox should have been given to Futurama rather than a lazy susan of inferior television that makes money mainly by suckling at the proverbial teat that is the wasted simpsons lead-off audience. The longer The Simpsons remains on the air, the worse it seems to be getting - the current group of producers and writers are leading this show into a long, pronounced, excruciating, agonizing deathrattle that eventually will cost the series its fan base, its last shred of dignity, and a few years of syndication interest until people forget how bad the last few seasons were and foolishly tune back into those reruns. You can see a prototype for this type of colapse of a long-running, primetime, animated sitcom by witnessing The Flintstones.

...jus' tellin' it like it is. :D

Dr Zoltar
09-05-2003, 12:17 PM
I second that. Simpsons should have been put to rest a few years ago. But then again, Fox is known for dumping good shows (any one remember The Visitor? How about Firefly?). I think Simpsons does so well because it's become a staple show and really doesn't have any competition. Futurama should have deserved better.

RooJay
09-05-2003, 12:43 PM
:eek: :mad: You... DARE?!!!

Fie. FIE TO YOU ALL!!! :mad: :zzz: :dead: ;) :p

JediTricks
09-07-2003, 10:43 PM
And a "foe fum" to you too, buddy! (it's funnier in either Terrence or Philip's voice) :D

Zoltar, Firefly has been bought by Universal and they're making it into a movie! I totally agree with you about how terrible Fox handles new series though, Firefly, Lone Gunmen, John Doe... endless list really, and then there's what they did to Family Guy.

RooJay
09-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Honestly though, as a big a fan as I am of the Simpsons (and pray nightly that new episodes air until the end of forever), I do find Futurama to be a much funnier and generally much more interesting show. I sincerely lament it's cancellation :cry: , and have always been thoroughly displeased with Fox's treatment and handling of the show. :mad:

JediTricks
09-09-2003, 02:10 AM
Lately, Fox has been handing out C&Ds to Futurama fan sites even though they've abandoned the show, I think that sucks eggs. If Fox were going to keep the show going and build an official online community around it, I could sorta kinda understand (though this is a mistake too, fan sites help you, not hurt you) but this isn't that.

bobafrett
11-03-2003, 11:46 PM
Well, I'm excited, I just saw a new episode on Comedy central of FUTURAMA. Well it wasn't "New" but after seeing I think the first two or three seasons over and over again, it was nice to see an episode I hadn't seen before. Keep in mind I missed it while it was on FOX, because I'm usually out on Sunday when Futurama is playing.

dr_evazan22
04-18-2004, 04:42 PM
I was in Costco last night and they are selling the entire season 1 of Futurama, King Of The Hill, Simpsons and Family Guy for $19.99 each, plus there is a coupon on back of package for $10 off of [1.] another season 1 pack, or [2.] a 2nd season pack. Pretty good deal.

I already have Simpsons and Family Guy, so I got Futurama. I had seen the same set in Best Buy for somewhere between $30 and $40.

JediTricks
04-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Pretty sweet deal, I gotta find someone who has a Costco card now!

BTW, Matt Groening will be hosting a week of his favorite Futurama eps on Cartoon Network starting Sunday, May 23rd.

RooJay
04-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Anyone else as disappointed as me that Fox isn't bringing back Futurama like they are Family Guy? Don't get me wrong - Family Guy is an awesome show, but I much prefer Futurama. I suppose it has more to do with how expensive Futurama must have been for them to produce (you'd think that would've been enough to convince them to try a little harder with the show in the first place!). It's strange to me - it seemed like Futurama had always got better ratings on Cartoon Network than Family Guy. Way back when they had initially dumped Futurama from Adult Swim and were only playing Family Guy I recall there being a big enough outcry from fans that they decided to bring it back even though they had only had the rights to show the first two seasons anyway and had already repeated each show about a billion times. I for one think Futurama has been one of the best shows ever to hit the small screen, and would love to see new episodes. You'd think that since X-Files ended and Fox seems to have lost it's hold on it's sunday night audience that it might be a great idea for Fox to use Family Guy and Futurama as bumpers for the Simpsons in order to shore up their ratings. Bummer! :dis:

Kidhuman
04-19-2004, 05:56 PM
They should bring back Futurama. It was awesome. If its good for one show, why not the other?

JediTricks
04-19-2004, 10:49 PM
I really miss Futurama, I think Fox totally dropped the ball there and nothing they could say would excuse it. Everything about that series was top-notch, and it just looked incredible too. I'm not surprised Fox didn't pick it back up though, Fox's basic attitude about Family Guy was based on the DVD sales and Futurama's just weren't as stellar. Still, I wish the production company would resume production on the show and sell it to SOMEBODY, even if it's direct DVD releases, just to get new Futurama coming.

JediTricks
05-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Starting tonight on Cartoon Network, all week Matt Groening will be hosting his favorite episodes of Futurama! Don't miss it!

James Boba Fettfield
05-24-2004, 05:55 AM
On the Simpsons last night they had a guy jump from a cliff after he yelled that they should have never cancelled Futurama.

Dr Zoltar
05-24-2004, 02:29 PM
The cliff jumping guy was great! And I liked the little jab at Rupert Murdoch as well.

JediTricks
05-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Stupid Cartoon Network idiots, they pushed back the Matt Groening thing till July because they basically forgot to do marketing for it and didn't think anybody was watching.

James Boba Fettfield
05-24-2004, 04:17 PM
I forgot about it, JT. I went on a binge watching of Futurama after purchasing the three volumes on DVD. I love Futurama, but I just couldn't take watching it again on CN after that week long viewing session.

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Speaking of those dvd's, I just placed a preorder for the fourth season set coming out in August.

My first time owning an entire television series on dvd, cut down in its prime. Why!!!

RooJay
06-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Makes ya want to take a flying leap off of Geezer Rock, don't it? ;)

James Boba Fettfield
04-17-2005, 08:16 PM
They gave Bender a cameo on The Simpsons tonight. How I miss him so very much.

darko666
04-17-2005, 09:29 PM
They gave Bender a cameo on The Simpsons tonight. How I miss him so very much.

yeah, i saw that. it was funny when Homer tosed him at of the hover car. but i agree, i miss him and Futurama. at least
[adult swim] repeats the episodes.

El Chuxter
01-04-2006, 03:05 PM
You'll never guess in a million years what I just read on Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060104/en_tv_eo/18076;_ylt=At83WURVRJ5EEz5QtHD_gnVxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDM TA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--):

Back to the "Futurama"?

What has Stewie Griffin wrought? How about a Bender rebirth.

Following the hugely successful resurrection of Family Guy, Fox execs are reportedly in talks to bring Futurama back from the dead.

The studio has begun talks to revive the Emmy-winning animated series and produce a limited number of new episodes, thanks to a resurgence in the show's popularity on DVD and in reruns, Variety reports.

Reps for 20th Century Fox have declined to comment on the news, but Variety says initial negotiations have begun.

If revived, it's unclear exactly which network would air the new episodes. While Fox housed the original series, the show found new life once reruns began showing on the Cartoon Network. Comedy Central subsequently snapped up the off-air rights and will exclusively air the repeats beginning in 2008.

Sweet! Now they just need to revive Get a Life, The Tick, Greg the Bunny, and (soon) Arrested Development, and all of Fox's previous and current stupidity will be forgiven. :)

JediTricks
01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Hopefully this pans out, the show was easily the best-looking cartoon of its type ever made, and one of the funniest to boot. There were talks of doing a direct-to-video movie, but I'd rather have more episodes, and then MORE episodes, and MORE episodes. :D

Arrested Development should be renewed as well, but there's no hope for most of the others. Hell, Fox even owes Married With Children fans (and its cast) an actual send-off.

Kidhuman
01-04-2006, 03:14 PM
I heard this on the radio a few days ago and forgot to post it. This is great news for us all.

bobafrett
01-04-2006, 11:44 PM
That's awesome, and I loved the whole crew on that show. I'm getting tired of the reruns on Cartoon network, So I will be delighted if this comes about!

UKWildcat
01-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Sounds like a plan! My dvds are worn out and I've been dying for a new episode for too long now.

lukesky27
01-11-2006, 09:32 PM
That would be like a dream come true. I was and continue to be a huge Futurama fan. I have all the DVD's and DVR the episodes each night on CN just to watch random ones when I feel like it. NEW Episodes would be perfect!!

Jek Porky 2002
01-12-2006, 07:37 AM
That is amazing news!!

However, would it be as good if they bought it back? After all it was shot down in it's prime, how long would it have gone before it started to get stale any way?

DarthQuack
01-12-2006, 12:37 PM
This is one of my favorite shows, that I started to watch when I bought the first season as a blind buy. Some great characters are on this show and hopefully they make the right decision to bring it back into a timeslot that will do it justice.

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Honestly, I think part of what made Futurama possible for future quality was that its sci-fi future setting could let them pretty much DO anything and get away with it, so if they started running the well dry they could simply dig another well, another future twist on a today concept that we haven't touched before no matter how outlandish. Futurama should really have run 7 to 9 seasons then stopped, the way the Simpsons should have.

UKWildcat
01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
I just found out that Futurama will be coming back in the form of 4 straight to DVD movies (http://www.davisdvd.com/news/animation.html). The first one is due out sometime in '07. Hopefully if the movies sell really well they will bring back the show. This might not be what everyone was wanting, but I'm still glad to hear that we will get to see some new stuff.

JediTricks
01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
4 movies would likely be 12 episodes-long, 1 shy of a "short" season, so it could be that like Family Guy this is Fox's way of getting them back to production without making the official decision about renewing a series.

Rocketboy
02-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Not sure why this was at the top of the Kevin Smith related site Newsaskew.com (http://newsaskew.com/), but:

On This Day In View Askew History: In 2002, the brilliant animated show FUTURAMA was prematurely cancelled by FOX.Has itt really been 4 years? Wow.

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Damn, hopefully its less than that to bring it back.

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 01:04 AM
The last episode aired in August of '03.

GotFuturama is reporting that the direct-to-dvd movies are pretty much a done deal and the TV return may not be dead (that's how it worked for Family Guy): http://www.gotfuturama.com/

Jargo
02-21-2006, 09:10 PM
very interesting. I like the straight to DVD idea. I can never be bothered to remember tv schedules and they always get messed around so DVD is much better from my POV.
I shall remain quietly optimistic but prepare for possible disappointment.

DarthQuack
11-08-2007, 09:14 PM
WE'RE BACK BABY!

Press release for the new DVD coming out later this month! I can't wait!!!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Futurama-Bender's-Big-Press-Release/8402 (http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Futurama-Bender%27s-Big-Press-Release/8402)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2007, 07:22 PM
This should be merged with the "Good News, Everyone: Futurama's Back!" thread.

I think I'll get this DVD rather than just wait for the episodes, since the extras seem pretty cool.