PDA

View Full Version : Diorama Discussion: AOTC - Coruscant

Tycho
05-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Thought I'd like to tell anyone who's interested a little about my hobby, and discuss it with those who do things similar. Some interesting tidbits of what characters we still need made, as well as who needs a resculpt, are brought up in the discussion, scene by scene.

This thread is about E2 dioramas based on events that took place on Coruscant.

I've actually got quite a lot planned. Unfortunately, space does not permit me to build ANY of these until I buy a large enough house. There I intend to have a "black room" that has all things metallic, synthetic, and would include dioramas from Coruscant to the Death Star and scenes on Imperial Star Destroyers, as well as hopefully, one day, a Star Destroyer ship/playset (way offscale, but functional) that I'll build like my Blockade Runner (whcih may or may not also end up in this room). I figure it is a good room to wire up my A/V system in and use as a home theater, since stereo components are also usually black, and it will blend in with black couches and everything. Well, that's the dream.

Now the scenes from Attack of the Clones that are specific to Coruscant that will go in there:

1) Landing Platform Assasination.

2 Naboo Royal Guards
Padme Pilot figure
Captain Typho
R2D2

I'd like a Corde figure (dressed as the Senator of course) and a green / white R2 unit that would serve as Captain Typho's astromech. Hopefully Hasbro will make this droid soon, as it also serves as Wedge Antilles' droid's colors, too I believe.

I doubt that Hasbro will make the Senator's starship for the 3 3/4" figures, nor do I want that in my scene (though I'd buy the toy and re-write my plans for this scene if they did, as it was an awesome ship).

I think I'll use a hanging window box and add in a background shot of a Naboo fighter on the landing platform and maybe some smouldering wreckage.

I plan on keeping the scene tight because it's mainly to exhibit my Padme Pilot figure which I appreciate a lot, and get Captain Typho a scene where he's not underscored by the Jedi stars or aliens or something. A Corde figure is not such a longshot, though I don't know if we'll get her as soon as 2004, or if she'll be a figure we struggle with like it's been a struggle to get Jan Dadonna. I certainly would see there being some complaints if Corde was made before many of Padme's still-missing outfit changes, however, Corde does obviously fit into a scene where most of the other figures already exist, and she'd do well to compliment them.

Anyone else interested in recreating this particular scene before I discuss a Palpatine's Office diorama?

stillakid
05-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Thought I'd like to tell anyone who's interested a little about my hobby, and discuss it with those who do things similar.

This thread is about E2 dioramas based on events that took place on Coruscant.

I've actually got quite a lot planned. Unfortunately, space does not permit me to build ANY of these until I buy a large enough house. There I intend to have a "black room" that has all things metallic, synthetic, and would include dioramas from Coruscant to the Death Star and scenes on Imperial Star Destroyers, as well as hopefully, one day, a Star Destroyer ship/playset (way offscale, but functional) that I'll build like my Blockade Runner (whcih may or may not also end up in this room). I figure it is a good room to wire up my A/V system in and use as a home theater, since stereo components are also usually black, and it will blend in with black couches and everything. Well, that's the dream.

Now the scenes from Attack of the Clones that are specific to Coruscant that will go in there:

1) Landing Platform Assasination.

2 Naboo Royal Guards
Padme Pilot figure
Captain Typho
R2D2

I'd like a Corde figure (dressed as the Senator of course) and a green / white R2 unit that would serve as Captain Typho's astromech. Hopefully Hasbro will make this droid soon, as it also serves as Wedge Antilles' droid's colors, too I believe.

I doubt that Hasbro will make the Senator's starship for the 3 3/4" figures, nor do I want that in my scene (though I'd buy the toy and re-write my plans for this scene if they did, as it was an awesome ship).

I think I'll use a hanging window box and add in a background shot of a Naboo fighter on the landing platform and maybe some smouldering wreckage.

I plan on keeping the scene tight because it's mainly to exhibit my Padme Pilot figure which I appreciate a lot, and get Captain Typho a scene where he's not underscored by the Jedi stars or aliens or something. A Corde figure is not such a longshot, though I don't know if we'll get her as soon as 2004, or if she'll be a figure we struggle with like it's been a struggle to get Jan Dadonna. I certainly would see there being some complaints if Corde was made before many of Padme's still-missing outfit changes, however, Corde does obviously fit into a scene where most of the other figures already exist, and she'd do well to compliment them.

Anyone else interested in recreating this particular scene before I discuss a Palpatine's Office diorama?

I like the assassination attempt scene. If it was me (and it isn't ;) ) I'd probably buy a discounted starship from Episode I and "explode" it. Not with real stuff, just cut aways and other paint to A) disguise that it's the wrong ship and B) to have something there that I could rig small smokers into. Could be pretty cool. :cool:

Tycho
05-19-2003, 02:11 AM
That is a cool idea if you have the room. My taste is to keep this scene small - probably wide enough for 2 dead guards, Padme to kneel over Corde with Typho behind her (weapon drawn), and R2 beside them, plus maybe the other "destroyed" astromech slightly set off from them.

Maybe 1 foot in length, by 4 inches deep, and 4 1/2 inches high. A plastics company here that works with plexiglass can make me the wall-hanging case for this for probably $30 or less. The background with the Naboo fighter I can just select and print from my DVD.

I think the scene was well-done, too. However I don't think it appeals to me to take up the space, nor destroy as cool of toy as I think the Royal Starship is. Finally, unless I can get a starship for under $30, the case is the final expense I want going into this. I could always be wrong and Hasbro could decide to produce the Senator's Starship (though that's more of a remote possibility) and I might want to undo this scene and readjust it to include that awesome ship, plus add up to 3 Naboo Fighters to the scene as well - expanding it out to a kitchen-table size scene.

However, I prefer to only have moments as crucial as the Arena Battle or the Sarlaac Pit expand out to dimensions like that.

While I plan to buy a house to hold all my scenes in as many rooms as possible (5 bedrooms/offices, garage, dining room, living room, home theater room, and hallways, plus maybe even a country kitchen included), I still will not have the room to designate the space for too many scenes of this size throughout the whole house.

I want each room to be functional for things I also want: an exercise room with a weight machine center, an office, guest bedrooms, and a rec room with a pool table. However, things like the Sarlaac battle with 2 skiffs and either a custom or Hasbro Sailbarge, will take the centerplace of a room so it can be viewed from all angles (figuring that access to most sailbarge customs I've seen is from a removed wall on one side that allows you to actually see Jabba). So what can I do with the average room with THAT in the center - same thing with 2 'kitchen-table-sized' arena battles going in another? (back to back - before and after the Clones attack - or 'one with the beasts still alive')

I figure it will be just my luck if I can get a weight machine with a bench press / leg extension machine, and an exercise bicycle in there in one end (far or near end is still a question), and then put in the table-sized diorama to fill up the rest.

You have to be very careful with how you use space (and real estate) with this hobby.

I try to keep as many scenes as possible to stay very small, because the major battles get large-scale treatment.

Stillakid, I think when you visited, you saw my space-measuring test-set for the Battle of Geonosis which I think will measure 6 feet long, by 2.5 feet wide and 4 feet tall. With the Republic Gunships (hanging in flight) to consider for this one, I need to keep other scenes in check and not allow them to grow beyond control.

Tycho
05-19-2003, 02:31 AM
The above being said, the topic of this thread is scenes from Coruscant from Attack of the Clones.

Palpatine's Office is one I'm going to try to keep tightly in small proportions.

My main goal here is to display some particular very-scene specific figures I want made, including Chancellor Palpatine, Senator Amidala, and Bail Organa. Mas Ameddas is also a nice figure, and the scene allows a rare opportunity to show him off, as well as Sly Moore (if they make her).

The figures included are:

Yoda (E1 will do)
Mace Windu (sneak preview)
Ki Adi Mundi (E1)
Plo Koon (POTJ)
Chancellor Palpatine
2 Crimson Royal Guards (E2)
Mas Ameddas
Bail Organa (coming this fall!)
Orm Free Taa (Twi'lek Senator)
Shaaka (orange Twi'lek slave girl from Wattos Box Seats)

Aayla Secura (I figure her non-Jedi dress is to let her infiltrate, and perhaps she sometimes joins Ryloth's senator's entourage, while he has no idea she is a Jedi Knight)

Captain Typho (another chance to use his good figure)

JarJar Senator (really it should be another outfit, but I bought my 5 JarJar figures I'd be using before I realized the Gungan wears a different outfit until his Senate speech scene). So I think I'll just use the JarJars I already have, possibly swapping out one JarJar for another if a new figure is really cool, and if JarJar will don the same Senate outfit in Episode 3.

Some figures that I still hope to have made for this scene definitely include:

Senator Amidala - a singular cool key reason to make this scene in the first place - as well as to show Palpatine with the Jedi. (I did figure on one more scene to show off this Padme should they make her).

Sly Moore - she won the most-wanted Senate figure poll I did here on SSG when I offered up about 9 great (non-Separatist) choices. Boring by herself (and sure to be a peg-warmer like Mon Mothma), she's very cool and necessary to add to this scene.

Kit Fisto Resculpt
Luminara Resculpt
Bariss Resculpt

- all 3 of these Jedi belong in this scene, but I don't care for them to look like they're attacking something. The very Arena Battle-specific sculpts we got of these characters are very nice indeed, but still leave these characters lacking neutrally sculpted figures.
While Kit Fisto will supposedly have a Clone Wars figure, I would be pleasantly surprised if he were actually useful for a neutral scene. I read something about him swimming like the scene in Alien Resurrection being planned for the animated series, so I suspect a figure in the likes of Swimming JarJar to be done for Kit Fisto. We'll unfortunately end up needing a THIRD SCULPT of a non-speaking character! That in itself sucks, but what am I to do but support getting the sculpt of Kit that I need for my scene?

Palpatine's Office will stay as small as possible, but reasonably place all these figures in the scene, without crowding out an appreciator's view of any but my most common figures. The Chancellor's desk will likely be the only add-in I'll really pursue, and the backdrop might be part of the window, but I really need to capture the scene so that its from a side view so that Bail Organa or Padme's backs won't be turned to the viewer.

stillakid
05-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
That is a cool idea if you have the room. My taste is to keep this scene small - probably wide enough for 2 dead guards, Padme to kneel over Corde with Typho behind her (weapon drawn), and R2 beside them, plus maybe the other "destroyed" astromech slightly set off from them.

Maybe 1 foot in length, by 4 inches deep, and 4 1/2 inches high. A plastics company here that works with plexiglass can make me the wall-hanging case for this for probably $30 or less. The background with the Naboo fighter I can just select and print from my DVD.

I think the scene was well-done, too. However I don't think it appeals to me to take up the space, nor destroy as cool of toy as I think the Royal Starship is. Finally, unless I can get a starship for under $30, the case is the final expense I want going into this. I could always be wrong and Hasbro could decide to produce the Senator's Starship (though that's more of a remote possibility) and I might want to undo this scene and readjust it to include that awesome ship, plus add up to 3 Naboo Fighters to the scene as well - expanding it out to a kitchen-table size scene.

However, I prefer to only have moments as crucial as the Arena Battle or the Sarlaac Pit expand out to dimensions like that.

While I plan to buy a house to hold all my scenes in as many rooms as possible (5 bedrooms/offices, garage, dining room, living room, home theater room, and hallways, plus maybe even a country kitchen included), I still will not have the room to designate the space for too many scenes of this size throughout the whole house.

I want each room to be functional for things I also want: an exercise room with a weight machine center, an office, guest bedrooms, and a rec room with a pool table. However, things like the Sarlaac battle with 2 skiffs and either a custom or Hasbro Sailbarge, will take the centerplace of a room so it can be viewed from all angles (figuring that access to most sailbarge customs I've seen is from a removed wall on one side that allows you to actually see Jabba). So what can I do with the average room with THAT in the center - same thing with 2 'kitchen-table-sized' arena battles going in another? (back to back - before and after the Clones attack - or 'one with the beasts still alive')

I figure it will be just my luck if I can get a weight machine with a bench press / leg extension machine, and an exercise bicycle in there in one end (far or near end is still a question), and then put in the table-sized diorama to fill up the rest.

You have to be very careful with how you use space (and real estate) with this hobby.

I try to keep as many scenes as possible to stay very small, because the major battles get large-scale treatment.

Stillakid, I think when you visited, you saw my space-measuring test-set for the Battle of Geonosis which I think will measure 6 feet long, by 2.5 feet wide and 4 feet tall. With the Republic Gunships (hanging in flight) to consider for this one, I need to keep other scenes in check and not allow them to grow beyond control.

What you need is a separate "barn" like Sansweet has. Of course, So. Cal. isn't exactly the best place to look for that kind of property. ;)

Tycho
05-30-2003, 02:27 AM
PADME'S APARTMENT DIORAMA plus a response:

Well, I figure a 5-bedroom house where I utilize all the rooms in total, including the garage would work:

Bedroom 1: My room, and everything white, mostly Hoth & Bespin.

Bedroom 2: tan, also serving as a guest room, with all things Tatooine from the Classic Trilogy

Bedroom 3: tan-and-red, also housing my exercise machines and weights bench, with all things from the prequels to do with Tatooine and Geonosis, including a pod-race course that runs around the room, and 2 full-scale arena battles, and the Battle for Geonosis!

Bedroom 4: olive, also serving as a guest bedroom, and holding all things dark and swampy, like Dagobah, and a large scale Otah Gunga! Kamino might be designed to go with stuff I locate here.

The Living Room: green and large, housing 3 full-size Battle for Naboo scenes, and 1 large Battle of Endor display, inlcuding everything from a large scale Ewok village to the City of Theed!

The Home Theater Room: black and technologically sophisticated, everything to do with the Death Star, space battles, and Coruscant is here, including several renditions of the Galactic Senate, during Valorum's and Palpatine's reigns.

The Garage: 3-car, but housing only my SeaDoo on one side, its battery recharging without having to remove it, and then the rest being an extra lounge room with a pool table and everything Star Trek from Archer to Janeway that I've collected over the years.

The Dining Room - might be a good place for a blue room, if Kamino gets to be too much - from not only Episode 2's stuff, but the large Clone Wars battle I plan to do for the Expanded Universe story to come to life with my action figures.

The Kitchen - most country kitchens have space for extra things to look at. I won't overlook using mine.

Hall Ways - great places for small scene sections like the Trade Federation sets or the Duel of the Fates scenarios.

a 5th bedroom: the larger the house I can get, the better. This would be a good way to split the prequel scenes up so that Geonosis and Tatooine are not in the same room, and one is a proper "red room," the other my 2nd tan one. My personal gym might be better off in the 'red room,' so I can relive the Clone Wars while I work out, but also due to the arena playsets being best off taking up the centerplace in a room, so exercise equipment can be split between the front, back, and along mirrored walls. I'm not sure if the 2nd tan room would then work as a guest bedroom though, because I still want the electric-run pod racers I want to build to circle the entire room. Pillows kicked off the bed at night might ruin my fragile Canyon Dune Turn, so a reading room might be more appropriate.

I guess we'll see.

The next display I'm making for Coruscant will be Padme's apartment.

Figures included are almost all not yet made:

Obi-Wan with cloak
Anakin with straight-non-motion cloak
Padme Senator
JarJar Binks (correct version)
Captain Typho
Dorme
R2-D2 (might not have been in the scene, but I'd like to include him)

Somehow, out a window, or in a split-frame shadowbox, I'd like to add

Zam Wessel meeting with...

Jango Fett (using the rocket pack Boba came with to fit on the Arena Battle Fett, since he's not always 'action-posed' due to his good articulation).

I think it's a key scene, when Anakin and Padme and Obi-Wan are all reunited, and it subtley underlays the danger with the bounty hunters lurking outside.

I don't know if its a good idea to use the hunters, or to split that into a second, more boring scene. If I go that way, I'll add an assassin droid to put more into the picture. I doubt I'll buy an extra Zam Wessel speeder if she isn't actually driving it in that scene. But you never know. It could look cool - but it does require that 1) I increase the size and amount of shadowboxes I'm using, and 2) I increase the number of displays I'm using wall space for, just from Episode 2.

stillakid
05-31-2003, 12:34 AM
Have you been to the Madonna Inn up by San Luis Opisbo? Theme rooms. Maybe you could actually make money at this and open a "theme" B&B. Could be pretty cool!

Tycho
05-31-2003, 02:11 AM
Someday, if I had the capital. I'd be really concerned about the safety of my collection - from everything from theft, to that one stormtrooper falling over, or Han somehow winding up kissing Chewbacca in the carbon freezing room scene (because Leia fell over...)

Maintaining a diorama collection takes:

1) funds
2) security
3) patience

on top of the creative talents it necessitates, plus the time investment, and the luck finding your figures.

So no one thinks

Palpatine's Office

or

Padme's Apartment

are interesting dioramas to recreate?

Tycho
05-31-2003, 02:53 AM
I added an image of what NiubNiub created for a diorama of Palpatine's office:

Tycho
05-31-2003, 02:56 AM
Here's another shot from NiubNiubsUniverse.com showing NiubNiub's work on Palpatine's Office.

He, along with our own site's ACPin, have to be the best diorama craftsmen I've ever seen!

Isn't this the BEST thing you can possibly due with your action figures?

I hope my scene will be even 25% as great as this one:

Tycho
06-06-2003, 03:45 AM
So who's making the speeder chase?

I loved these sequences, and the speeders Hasbro made, so I got a bit carried away.

The plan is to make several topless / bottomless blocks of Coruscant's entertainment district in one large 6 foot display case.

I'm hoping to use the standard 4.5 foot tall cases you see in most comic book stores.

I want to incorporate almost 4-5 segments from the movie in this one big scene - that means multiple Anakins, Obi-Wans, and Zams.

First, the WINDOW CRASH SCENE will actually be separate, I think. Padme's apartment is at too much of a higher elevation on Coruscant to include it in this scene.

R2-D2 "flying" is perfect to just stand there.

Obi-Wan Coruscant is a too-often recurring figure that is perfect for this scene- as he was designed for it. Some heat-gunned plexi-glass on a false back wall of my scene, (in a shadow-box) should suffice to hold him, and look like a starburst of broken glass. The droid would be "just outside" the window.

Anakin's deluxe figure has a nice battle-charge look to it, like he's legitimately impassioned about protecting Padme.

Padme presents the biggest problem: will Hasbro make her in her night gown? The figure would go well with the Obi-Wan and R2D2 they already make (with kohouns), but this is a very difficult figure to imagine them marketing. Padme Night Attack? I'm not sure what to call her, but the figure is re-useable in the Naboo balcony scene, so long as her expression is considerably neutral.

Captain Typho has a new opportunity for use here. A good figure, it's nice to have chances to display good figures, along with piles of battledroids and other stuff diorama makers have to buy large quantities of.

Dorme - I think here, while she should also be in a nightgown, her day dress would work fine, as I will almost say we'll NEVER see a Dorme nightgown figure, though the chances of having Rose Byrne's regular figure from Padme's apartment or the transit shuttle scene is pretty good, if not as sure as the fact that they did well to make Sabe (though she was in battle dress). However, I want one good Dorme figure, and it really isn't practical to have her in her nightgown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW WE GET INTO THE ACTUAL CORUSCANT DIORAMA FOR THE SPEEDERCHASE

I want the display to read like a storyboard.

On the left, I want Zam positioned, taking her rifle shot at Obi-Wan, hanging from the droid, as Anakin maneuvers their car under him. I think a sticker, or background image of Zam's speeder will suffice here. The Jedi's standard figures will also do just fine, as will Anakin's car.

The best Zam for the rifle pose is the Sneak Preview, and it displays nicely here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we move across the city block to the right, we see the Jedi again. This time Deluxe Anakin is driving, with Obi-Wan alongside him. I wanted to show the two together on a mission, as Episode 2 separated them for a long period of the movie, and there is only the beginning and ending to express the two's partnership with my scenes.

Anakin's deluxe figure looks slightly too large for the speeder, but it helps to emphasize that he will become Darth Vader, thus the size makes him look like a formidable pursuer who's now hunting the hunter.

As for the bounty hunter, the Saga Zam fits best in her speeder.

This shot lets me kick off some of the battle damage to Anakin's speeder. Zam's is still going to look pretty mint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore to the right, we have Anakin Tatooine Attack on top of Zam's speeder, trying to slice into it. Obi-Wan gets a turn to drive the now fully damaged yellow speeder.

I had a choice, to show Anakin's determination, by having him hold onto the front instead, desperate to keep his grip, but I'd rather show his ferocity in combat, relating to the Vader foreshadowing, thus I'll have him on top of Zam's now fully damaged speeder. (a chance to show the cool crash damage to her vehicle.).

Overall, I could get one more Zam speeder, and have 3 of each, instead of one over the count with Anakin's (3 versus her 2), but I don't think it's worth the money until I see how the final display will look, and what kind of room I'll have.

The bottom right hand corner of the display will be the scene's inside the CLUB OUTLANDER

I have the standard Obi-Wan and Anakin for this scene, but once more, Zam's sneak preview figure holds her hand gun just right, so regardless of authenticity, I want her (pre-amputation) first figure in this scene.

Aliens for the bar I've saved up include:

1 Jabba's Dancer 3-pack
1 chick from Titan A-E
Jurassic Park Alan Grant
Jurassic Park young blonde dino-hunter
Ketwol
Tessek
2 Duro's (a flashback to the Cantina)
1 Bith (Figrin' Dan - who might've been there gambling)

I'm very wary of adding the two Republic uniformed figures they are making (AkMed Blah, and Lt. Faytooni) because the bar seemed to have a higher female to male ratio, as well as since it's Coruscant, a higher human to alien ratio. The new Twi'Lek chick they are making will do well for the scene, but I want the girls in thongs if just for authenticity, let alone the fact that I just like girls in thongs.:D I won't hold my breath, but we might get some risque dressed human ladies, who knows?

On the streets outside, Jango Fett will be prowling along a roof ledge. E2 offers the rare opportunity to use his long list of pretty good figures, so why not? He had to be there to take the kill shot anyway.

Djas Puhr
Greedo (from a discount sale)
Snake-Eyes from GI Joe
WWII German paratrooper from Xtreme Detail Ultimate Soldiers

help make up the rough street population. I'll add other new SW figures of aliens, like an Arconan or whatever else from the Cantina or Jabbas, etc. that seems to be appropriate, but I want to start to vary my scenes, so the same aliens are not in every display. Like Weequays and Jabba Skiff Guards - these aliens are "Rimmers" and not as likely to be over-represented in the Core Worlds, so I won't be using them.

I want to keep this display leaning towards

1) more humans
2) more women (in the actual club)

That presents its own challenges, so I'm always looking at other 3 3/4" action figure lines.

I think I turned down "Joe's" Baroness, but I might give her another look. I won't use something with a large, obviously Cobra symbol on her, but other Hasbro figures are fine in my book. But also, when I use a character like Scarlett as potential for a possible Mara Jade or Siri Taichi custom figure, I stay consistent and don't put that designated character's face all over my other scenes as a different character.

If Scarlett becomes my Siri Taichi, since Adi Gallia's apprentice was going undercover in smuggling / pirate rings, the figure of Scarlett, as is, with maybe a hidden lightsaber hilt, will work fine for the lady Jedi that Obi-Wan grew up with as a classmate. Siri might've been in the Outlander on her own mission.

Meanwhile, Coruscant will be one of my most ambitious Episode 2 displays - getting the backgrounds and buildings right, and reflecting the scale of the city, in a limited enclosure such as the display case I described.

Vintage mini-rigs I've collected will provide speeder traffic.

The colors will be dark.

Possibly added, or done in its own separate shadow-box to highlight Zam's shapeshifting feature, will be the shot where Zam is killed. I want to work on altering a RH Jango to have his jet engines turned on, while having the surprise posed Acklay Obi-Wan catching the one-arm-less and shapeshifted Zam Wessel - a neat feature of this figure that I think is totally unappreciated, seeing as how she sold on the toy racks. As a kid, I would have had a lot of fun using her in disguises with my action figures. Friend or not? Not! She's a bounty hunter! You get the idea...
Anakin will just use the standard HD figure.

Anyway, this is one of the scenes I greatly look forward to, since its got a lot of action and very unique construction challenges.

Who else is approaching the speederchase area of the movie, and what are you doing for it?

INDIANA
06-07-2003, 07:25 AM
Might I suggest the mother from the Grinch series as a head swap choice. I ran across one at an Amazing Savings for $2. The head size is right and she has bizarre hair that fits in great for that sceen.

Tycho
06-07-2003, 09:38 PM
What a coincidence!

I picked up 3 of those 2-packs (Grinch and chick) a while ago, when TRU blew them out. (I think it was TRU)

I got the girl to sort of play into a Winter custom I never completed (but still have the parts to).

I saved the Grinch figures to toy with doing the fur brown or grey and working them into Wookiees.

Chewbacca has a very signature bandolier strap, and while some Wookiee somewhere has an identical one you'd figure, most wear different styles of accessories, or none at all.

Anyway, I have 3 Grinchs, but none of them are Wookiees just yet. I was trying to flatten the nose on one of them, just a bit, to start shaping the head into more Wookiee-like features.

The Wookiees would go well with Senate scenes, alien population scenes, a Wookiee Jedi maybe, or as Lowbacca's custom.

But yes, if I had more female bodies, the Grinch's chick would work well. Good suggestion. I'll reconsider using her (or parts of her) in my Club Outlander display.

Are you making the Night Club Scene, too?

What's in your character-mix, set up plans?

Tycho
06-15-2003, 10:01 PM
The Jedi High Council Chambers is the next diorama I have collected to build.

This one is pretty straight forward:

Yoda w. chair
Mace from 3-pack
Even Piel from 3-pack
Oppo Rancissis from 3-pack
Ki Adi Mundi (E1)
Plo Koon (POTJ)
SaeSee Tiin (POTJ)
Adi Gallia
Coleman Trebor
Shaak-Ti
Eeth Koth (doing stretching exercises when he ought to pay attention)

and they just gotta make:

Depa Billaba, for the next cool human, female Jedi (and Mace Windu's former padawan!)

and the correct Obi-Wan Kenobi to stand addressing the Council, hair dry, Jedi robes on, with the blonde hair and beard from Episode 2.

I plan to use Anakin from the Secret Ceremony edition, his droid hand sort of covered by the forward folds of his robe. I like the more threatening pose he's holding himself in, versus a more relaxed pose that I do hope they issue him in later (by relaxed, I mean the sculpt of the Jedi robe). But in this way I'm saying "hey, here he stands right on the edge of the fall of the Old Republic - like if you blink, he'll be Darth Vader!"

What do you think about that idea? Do you try to accent the story with your dioramas?

Tycho
06-22-2003, 03:25 AM
As I continue talking to myself, I'll bring up two more tiny scenes I'd like to recreate.

Palpatine and Anakin

They don't yet make the right figure of Anakin from Episode 2 yet!

After:

Peasant
Hanger Duel
Tatooine Attack
Deluxe Jumping
Deluxe Slashing
Secret Ceremony (the nicest one)

they still don't have one where Anakin's cloak hangs on him exactly like Darth Vader's did. The same silohette shape I mean. Hayden wore it perfectly in the movie.

Anyway, I want an Anakin figure like that to be made to walk with Palpatine - himself a perfect figure of the Supreme Chancellor!

I saw a Palpatine on the racks at KB the other night when I was at the mall to see The Hulk, and he still impresses me on the card. He wasn't pegwarming. I think that was the only Palpatine they had there.

Padme packing up is another scene I want to make. The same straight-robed Anakin would be useful again here.

And though she's not high up there on my list of Padme's that I want, this one, the Mini-Mouse ears hairdo from the scene "Sometimes we must let go of our pride and do what is requested of us," is a figure I'd buy.

If they made the window repair droids, I think it would be taking it too far.

For me, I don't really want to design backgrounds for these scenes, so much as just display the figures together in a collectibles carrio case that hangs on the wall. Obviously, figures from the same scenes would display best here, and I've found from Episode One, that this is an effective way to display a lot of Padme's wardrobe changes.

And at least I can use the luggage props that Saga C-3PO and Anakin Peasant Disguise come with.

Anybody else want these Anakin and Padme figures made?

stillakid
06-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Yes! :) And the window washer droids.

Tycho
06-22-2003, 06:40 PM
The Freighter and Dexter's Diner

With the Freighter, it's hard to determine what to do.

I doubt Hasbro will make this ship. However, the servant droid with the 6 arms "Hey you! No Droids!" was interesting and could make a good figure.

Anakin Peasant Disguise needs a place in the collection.

Any R2 would suffice.

Amongst Padme's outfits, this one was more on the hideous side, and I could almost care less about the figure, aside from the fact that I need some characters to go with the other potentials.

Obviously the SERVANT DROID is the biggest single potential. Anakin Peasant Disguise can be posed with at least another version of Padme, and Queen Jamilla should they make a figure out of her.

Well, I have an Anakin and R2 saved for the scene, as well as some various aliens like Ponda Baba, a Duro, Ketwol, Tessek, and the 3 Skiff Guards, who I think might be hitching a ride on a Refugee Freighter for resettlement on some Outer Rim world. Separtists might sneak off Coruscant that way, too. I thought about adding Passel Argente when they come out with him.

In any case, maybe a boarding line would work, as putting in Captain Typho and Obi-Wan (unmade version with dry hair and Jedi robes on) watching them, as their mentors see their charges go off on their first independent journey, might do the scene poetic justice.

The background could be a picture of the freighter.

It's a tough call. All my figures could be reassigned, but the real question around it all is:

Do we want the 6-armed servant droid?

And for me: is 1 figure worth designating up to 13 more figures into a scene just to accompany it?

I could also add some great GI Joe's that are scraggly lookin' Cobra villains, too.

I don't know. This one might be fun to set up.

Dexter's Diner is another case.

I used the Cantina Deluxe sets to make one straight edged bar.

I think that's wise, as MANY people on our forums will be putting together a scene from Dexter's Diner.

The WA-7 Waitress Droid is getting a figure this year, and of course there is Dexter, one of the single best figures of 2002, and second to probably only Ephant Mon.

The right Obi-Wan Kenobi needs to be made for this scene, so here's another use for an Obi-Wan figure we don't have. This particular figure I've identified a lot of uses for, but Hasbro gave us the Acklay Battle version of all things, now. Probably to go with Arena Playset sales, but by now we are overdue for the correct Obi-Wan figure, while a Clone Wars EU one is headed out to us next :rolleyes: sigh.

In the diner I added Ponda Baba, Zutton, Djas Puhr, a WWII pilot, and Stormshadow as patrons. Most that can sit are on the barstools. (The real Mos Eisley Cantina did not have barstools! Dexter's did). Anyway, Djas is the only one walking around with his drink. I'll add WA-7 to serve him, while Obi-Wan is talking to Dex.

Now what about Old Sebulba and Arks Bumby Roose, plus I guess it's supposed to be Sebulba's son? (he's an EU character Anakin deals with later as a Jedi).

Arks Bumpy Roose would be cool as an E1 Pod Racer. He doesn't look different in E2, however there are cooler Pod Racers like Dud Bolt and Wan Sandage that they don't make yet. But if Arks is made next, it wouldn't surprise me due to his E2 scene.

Sebulba is in 2 scenes in AOTC - the taxi cab during the first part of the speeder chase, and in Dexter's Diner. He's a natural for a figure, however I think that a Dexter's Diner 3 pack would be the best way to do this: Sebulba, Arks, and Hermionne Bagwa (Dexter's human wife and waitress with the white lace garter). A screen scene assortment with these all-new characters would be great to go with WA-7, who without Dexter, would become a serious pegwarmer with nothing to relate to the droid still being on the market.

Anyway, not quite the classic cantina, but as comfortable as your local In-and-Out burger, Dexter's Diner would be one I think a few people will want to set up for their Dexter and WA-7 figures.

Right?

Tycho
07-06-2003, 02:37 AM
Scenes in the Jedi Temple might be something everybody has to do kinda the figures they made just recently.

Jedi student training seems obvious. Who else are you going to pose Ashla, Jempa, and Chian with, but Yoda? I'll be adding an Ob-Wan figure that I hop eto see made: dray hair, Jedi robes. Again this figure poved to be mightly useful. Too bad he doesn't exist.

The Jedi Library is the only possibly place you can use the Jocasta Nu figure that seems to be alomst confirmed. Shaak-Ti and yet another "dry" Obi-Wan in a cloak goes in this scene, plus perhaps I can add some more generci male Jedi if we get any that are not in extreme fighting stances.

The Analysis droids could be added to a "back portion part of the scene above," or I can buy even another Obi-Wan (that they haven't produced yet :rolleyes: )

Whether these become 2 or 3 scenes, depends all too much on how good that Obi-Wan figure they could make actually is.

Anybody else see the value in that Kenobi?

OC47150
07-16-2003, 04:50 PM
I'm working on an arena battle diorama. I'm keeping it small so it can fit on my coffee table.

The base is going to be a kitchen tile that resembles Geonosis. I scouted Home Depot and found a tile that resembles the arena floor. Might need to add a little brown paint to it, though. Trying to decide if I want to add fake rocks around the edges.

Last weekend, I dirtied up two battle droids and a Super Battle Droid. It gives me more of a worn look.