PDA

View Full Version : lack of new toys/SARS connection?

tagmac
05-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Has anyone heard this rumor, or the possibility that it exists? I was talking to a dealer today, and he thinks a lot of the toys are being held up since they're coming from China. I could see US companies waiting a set amount of time to prevent SARS from being spread through merchandise. I know it's unlikely, but still possible. I think it's just more than a coincidence that many of the new figures are shipping so infrequently now (look at Kebco's back-ups recently), at the same time as the SARS epidemic has been going on. Any thoughts on this?

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-18-2003, 07:24 PM
From what I've heard the SARS epedemic is dwindiling, And all they do is hire people that aren't under quarenteen to deliver us the figures.....

And this has already been discussed in another thread....

mtriv73
05-20-2003, 07:00 PM
Contrary to what a certain episode of the Simpsons would lead us to believe, most viruses are actually very fragile things and it would be nearly impossible to use toys as a disease vector.

While the coronavirus that causes SARS can remain viable for a few days on surfaces, its primary mode of transmission is through inhalation. Since it probably takes toys at least a couple of weeks to go from production line to a warehouse to a ship to another warehouse and then to who knows where because new figures aren't showing up in stores, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Unless you licked a toy handled recently by a very infectious person (or go to Hong Kong and pick them up yourself) then your not in any significant danger.

Jerjerrod
05-21-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by mtriv73
Unless you licked a toy handled recently by a very infectious person (or go to Hong Kong and pick them up yourself) then your not in any significant danger.

...or inhale the plastic fumes by burning them in fire. :crazed: (Mmmm, plaaaaastic!:crazed: ) Get high first, then get infected! ;)

j/k