PDA

View Full Version : "Atlas Shrugged" the movie

derek
05-18-2003, 08:08 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/articles/news/?id=030517atlas1.htm

i was wondering if anyone would ever make a movie of one of my favorite books........but it did take almost 40 years to get the "X-Men" to the screen, so i can't wait to see what becomes of this project, which has the potential to become one of the most loved and hated films ever made..............now if they can only find a way to throw in some pop cultural references, fast cars, karate moves and bullet time gunfights, then it may appeal to the masses.........:crazed: (that's a joke, but i do cringe at what hollywood may do to the story)

there is already rumor of jodie foster, julia roberts or ashley judd playing the female lead.......i'd choose diane lane.:)

Darth Jax
05-19-2003, 10:20 PM
if you dig ayn rand then you should rent the b&w version of 'the fountainhead' with gary cooper as roark.

i'd be up for seeing atlas. it would be easy to make the movie appeal to the mass market. you can play up the adult aspect of the film, plenty of sex. or could go with flash - a high speed ride down the rails, jailbreak, etc. if this movie were to be made i'm sure hollywood would find a way to ruin it.

derek
05-20-2003, 05:49 PM
i've seen the 1940's version of The Fountainhead, and had kinda wished they would re-make it before making a film of Atlas Shrugged

if this movie were to be made i'm sure hollywood would find a way to ruin it.

true, but if the writer and director are true to the oveall theme of her book, i'd be happy, just to see these ideas on the big screen. i hope they would make three films, and stagger their releases as peter jackson did with the LOTR trilogy.

i wonder if the screenwriter will keep the film set in the 1950's or try to make a modern story out of it? and if this does ever see production, what do you what to bet antonio banderas plays francisco?:)

Darth Jax
05-20-2003, 09:11 PM
not a big fan of mrs. melanie griffith, but hollywood would definitely cast him as francisco.

trouble would be finding a writer in 'liberal' hollywood that understood the book enough to get it right. in college when assigned to read 'the fountainhead' for a class was disgusted that most of the class thought toohey was the heroic/epic figure of the book and that roark was the villian. afraid that hollywood would end up the same and dagny et al would be protrayed as the evil, money-loving elitist group and the political hangers-on would be glorified for all that is wrong with them.

derek
05-20-2003, 10:29 PM
a screen writer has already been hired, and apparently, he's a fan of the book, so that's one problem taken care of. now they have to find a director who would do the film justice, and a few top name actors, who, despite their politics, will portray the roles as rand wrote them.

the guy who bought the rights to the film, and the screenwriter both are apparent fans, so that's more than half the battle. in other words, the guy with the money and the guy with the pen have a lot of power in this.:)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/articles/news/?id=030517atlas2.htm

Darth Jax
05-21-2003, 08:27 PM
thanks for the link. sounds intriguing and that the story will be true to rand's philosophy. the idea of a trilogy makes sense as narrowing the story down to 2 hours means trimming away a lot of the story and supporting characters.

instead of antonio as francisco, i think colin farrell could pull it off (after seeing his turn in phone booth). i'd want angelina jolie to play dagny, but that's just a fanciful opinion.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by derek
a screen writer has already been hired, and apparently, he's a fan of the book, so that's one problem taken care of.

Watch out for that, derek. Being a fan of the material doesn't always equal good results. Remember Chabon (I don't know what they see in this guy) and his Spider-Man 2 draft. Must clean mind of terrible thoughts. Well, I hope your Atlas movie is good. Atlas/Alias. Derek, your likes always this similar?

derek
05-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Watch out for that, derek. Being a fan of the material doesn't always equal good results. Remember Chabon (I don't know what they see in this guy) and his Spider-Man 2 draft. Must clean mind of terrible thoughts. Well, I hope your Atlas movie is good. Atlas/Alias. Derek, your likes always this similar?

yea, but this guy has done some pretty good stuff. he wrote the screen play for the copolla dracula film, one of my favorite movies,as well as "contact", so i think this book is in good hands. :)

as for atlas/alias, if jennifer garner was older, i wouldn't mind seeing her play the lead.:) i know she's 30, but she looks/plays 20.;)

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Oh, ok so he's got a good track record with what he's doing. I did not know that. And I wouldn't mind seeing Garner do a lot of things either, but this Ayn Rand stuff, sounds like something I'd be interested in. I've clicked on your homepage link you have a few times and browsed the site, but I am still very ignorant of all the philosophies/beliefs.

derek
05-21-2003, 10:24 PM
I've clicked on your homepage link you have a few times and browsed the site, but I am still very ignorant of all the philosophies/beliefs.

i'd suggest you read "the fountainhead". it's in the fiction section of any major bookstore, and can be bought for about $5.00.:) as mentioned above, it was made into a film, over 50 years ago, and is pretty good, but they had to cut so much out to fit it into 2 hours. i rented it at my local blockbuster video.

this link, http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/essentials.html pretty much sums it up, but The Fountainhead puts it in a real world/dramatic setting.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Can do, I've got a Barnes & Noble out here close to Ohio State. I'll be out there this weekend buying peanut butter and jelly with bread, so I'll stop in there before hitting my food purchase.

EricRG
05-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Beware Ayn Rand! She is EVIL!;)

Hope it works out well, Derek. A good idea for a movie, but will likely suffer Hollywoodization.