PDA

View Full Version : AT-AT Review (merged)

JediTricks
05-19-2003, 04:06 PM
I was able to get the AT-AT with some help this weekend so I put up a review of the set here on SSG: http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=16&show_article=225

This is my favorite large set now and definitely at the top of my overall list. For the money, I couldn't have expected better, and like Jango's Slave I, I plan on revamping the interior environment - there's enough headroom in the main hold for a 2nd level right now. The AT-AT has already earned a top spot in my Lego collection.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the review and the pics!

bobafrett
05-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Love the review, love the pictures, now I just need to get one of my own to build and to love.

Battle Droid
05-19-2003, 06:04 PM
SWEET!:eek:

I've gotta wait until Sept. to get me one.:(

Capitan_Moroni
05-19-2003, 07:11 PM
does the helmet come off of the AT-AT driver? I thought I saw some yellow from the back side pics.

aceguide
05-20-2003, 10:47 AM
This looks like an incredible set. Is it comparable to the Republic Gunship in scale?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Looks like a neat, but very expensive set. Perhaps one day when they get clearanced...

LusiferSam
05-20-2003, 04:25 PM
I can't wait to get this one. The review is great and only has me drooling more. I'm glad to hear Lego subdivided this the way they have others. What are the final dimensions?
One suggestion I'd have for a set this big is presort the pieces. Lager sets I've cut the build in half by doing this.

JediTricks
05-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
does the helmet come off of the AT-AT driver? I thought I saw some yellow from the back side pics. Yes, absolutely, but underneath is a faceless yellow head. Of course, you could swap any head for this driver's head if you wanted to give it more character. The helmet itself has some cool paint touches, it includes the handles that spawn from the brow, 2 Imperial logos, and even the 2-colored vocorder pins at the mouthpiece.

Originally posted by aceguide
Is it comparable to the Republic Gunship in scale? Scale is a tough issue in general for Lego stuff because the mini-figures don't compare to scale. More specifically, the Rep Gunship has been a tough set for me to decide on scale anyway since Lucasfilm claims it can hold 30 troops within. Taking all that into account, I believe the AT-AT should be approximately twice as large to be really in scale. Setting aside the issue of scale, the Lego Gunship and AT-AT are roughly the same length, width, and height not counting legs or wings. Oh, and the AT-AT weighs slightly more than the Gunship as well. ;)

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Looks like a neat, but very expensive set. Perhaps one day when they get clearanced... I know what you mean, if I hadn't had help getting this one, I would have had to wait a while to get this myself.

However, compared to the Millennium Falcon and the Republic Gunship which were both in this set's price range, the AT-AT is relatively a bargain. Those 2 sets have around 300 less pieces each than the AT-AT, whose pieces are just under 10 cents each while most sets are around 13 cents per piece.

Originally posted by LusiferSam
I'm glad to hear Lego subdivided this the way they have others. What are the final dimensions?
One suggestion I'd have for a set this big is presort the pieces. Lager sets I've cut the build in half by doing this. By "subdivided", you mean in the instructions, right? Because the bags aren't numbered like previous sets, I thought that was important enough to mention in the review but thought it might get lost.

The final dimensions are about 16" tall (when I first measured it in the review, I forgot to straighten the legs :stupid: ) by 16" long by 5.5" wide. The undercarriage to which most of the vehicle is built onto uses those funny Technic box bricks, so if you had the desire & the $$$ you could easily double up the width and/or length from there and build using that as a template.

As for the issue of presorting, I had actually mentioned that in my first draft of the review, but our news system has a 9,000 character limit and that was one of the things that got cut. I myself have never been a pre-sorter (except with very large pieces which just get in the way of general sifting) but I can easily see why you'd want to here.

I'm really glad you guys liked the review, and hopefully everybody will be able to get their hands on this set soon.

LusiferSam
05-23-2003, 01:44 PM
By "subdivided" I did mean the numbered bags. For some reason it really irks me when Lego does that, but it's probability because I am a pre-sorter and it just gets in the way.

JediTricks
05-24-2003, 03:39 AM
The numbered bags are probably the best of both worlds, some folks won't wanna presort or sift through while those that do can simply open all the bags at once. Even still, I know what you mean, those numbered bags just aren't quite right.

BTW, nearly a week later, I thought of a shot I should have added to this review - a cross section - so I may end up doing that soon if I get the photo time.

bobafrett
05-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Are these expected to hit regular retail outlets anytime soon. I've been keeping my eyes open around TRU, Wal-Mart and Targets, because I can't afford to pay shipping.

As far as sorting, Lego does a pretty fine job of sorting the various pieces already. I just pour the contents of the bags into different piles, so I know where I should be looking as certain pieces are needed.

Battle Droid
05-25-2003, 02:47 AM
Is the AT-AT missing it's inner toes, or whatever those things are called?

JediTricks
05-27-2003, 06:00 PM
bobafrett, it should be hitting retailers in the next few weeks, its street date is July.

Battle Droid, it is indeed missing those "toes", but for good reason. If it had 'em, they would wack into each other when you moved the legs past each other.

jedi master sal
08-04-2003, 02:13 PM
The AT-AT was retailing for $99 at Target.

The AT-AT is slightly over 1000 pieces. I built all of the Mini's Saturday morning as well as the Hailfire droid throughout the day and ended Saturday with partially building the AT-AT. After an outing to my local Amusement Park with my local Star Wars Fan club, I completed the AT-AT. They are all proudly (if temporarily) displayed on my dining room table.

This is a fantastic set and worth getting.

I built it out of sequence, starting with the lower body then going to the top panels, then snow-speederbike (YES, it's a WHITE speederbike!) on Saturday. On Sunday, I completed the legs, then upper body, troop seats, then all of the side panels and finished with the head.

In case you didn't know the set comes with FOUR minifigs! 2 Snowtroopers, 1 AT-AT driver and 1 Luke in x-wing gear.

While this is not to scale with the minifigs, it certainly works for the MINI-snowspeeder.

The AT-AT is a good set for begining and intermediate builders.

Lego has really outdone themselves with this set.

I highly recommend this set.

bobafrett
08-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Yes, I picked this one up last week sometime. It was funny too, because I had stopped to have some brake work done on my car. I thought it was going to cost $400 to $500 for the brake job. The Midas guy quotes me $109. I had him go ahead and do the work, and while he was working on my car, I walked across the street to a Target store, and I found the AT-AT as well as the 4 new mini sets. Needless to say, since I had already budgeted extra cash for my brakes, I used it instead to buy the Lego sets. As soon as I got home I built the mini's saving the AT-AT for later that afternoon. I popped in the ESB and began to work on this one. I like it! The mini's are aso a welcome part of my collection now also.

JediTricks
08-04-2003, 10:41 PM
Glad people are starting to find these. I really like mine, I have it next to my Rep Gunship and Millennium Falcon.

Strangely, I usually build the minifigures dead last.

jedi master sal
08-05-2003, 01:43 PM
I popped in ESB and began to work on this one.

That's funny because i did the same thing when building the AT-AT.

I also put in AotC while building the Hailfire droid.

Are we nerds or what.....HA HA

yngadult
08-12-2003, 04:12 PM
I bought my ATAT on line at Brick Bros when they had their sale, thinking it would be unavailable at retail stores. Several days after mine arrived in the mail, I saw them at Target. I've been to half a dozen Targets in my county and they all have them.
I'm a little bummed by this because the trend with Target is to discount their toys every now and then, especially after Christmas. Generally, $100 toys are more likely to be discounted because not too many people can afford to buy that for a kid. Adult collectors are a different story of course. Since Target has a lot of them it seems, some may end up on Clearance. If this happens, I'll be mad I paid $99 for mine including shipping. One consolation is that it's still less than buying it at Target now because of the tax factor.

JediTricks
08-13-2003, 12:35 AM
If I see this at Target on clearance, I'm definitely buying it. I have this theory that the main base of the body being technic will make doubling the size somewhat easier, so buying 2 will make it bigger without being too complicated.