PDA

View Full Version : What (other) era do you wish you'd been born in?

Porcelina
05-19-2003, 05:15 PM
i often think i was born in the wrong time period (and location).... as i'm sure most people do :)

so, i was wondering, if you had a choice, what era would you like to have been born in? personally, i'd choose either the 20s, cos i'd fit right in, style-wise, and it was jolly and full of booze and partying and music and fun.. or the victorian era, for the romance, so i could wear corsettes that make me bigger in all the right places and men would court me and try to woo me and i'd swoon... it would be great fun, doncha think?!

so..... hows bout you?

Vortex
05-19-2003, 05:42 PM
I'd say the 20's or 30's but then I'd want to skip over the 40's due to WWII and no have to deal with the depression era either.
I always did like art deco and big band music.

I guess if I could time travel, knowing what I know now I'd go back to 1300's or mid 1400. And try to be in France or Scotland for those times.

Knights, the beginning of the cathedrals, the dawning of the Renaissance era, and when things were shaping up in Europe and old ways falling to wayside. The age of discovery, mystery and legend.

keith koth
05-19-2003, 06:22 PM
I believe I should have been born in the pioneer days (i.e., Louis and Clark Expedition).

I would have liked to have been born in the ultra modern age of artificial intelligence, world peace, and interstellar travel.

TheDarthVader
05-19-2003, 06:38 PM
I like the time I was born in...I was born in 1980. I have no complaints and no regrets. I feel at home, here now. :)

Jargo
05-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Given that in my country there was no health services until the early part of the twentieth century and that Britain has been around thirty years behing the States in terms of procedures and techniques for dealing with illness and surgery and accidents. I would say I'm happier living now than at any time in the past. I wouldn't live in any period earlier than the sixties. I was born in 68 so I'm vintage anyway, I sometimes wish I'd been born in the fifties so I could have enjoyed the sixties. But all the past eras seem better in hindsight. In terms of facilities and material comforts we have now I think we live the richest life of anyone ever to roam the planet. Couldn't be better apart from all the lunatics with bombs.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-19-2003, 07:52 PM
I always said I am an anachonism. I should've been born in the late '60s... 1860s, that is. Just after the U.S. Civil War, on the Midwestern plains areas. No electricity, no cars, no telephones (but telegraphs would've been around in a while). Simplicity.

Yes, the diseases were more rampant, and the Internet connections were HORRIBLE :rolleyes: , but things were better, more simple, less hectic. Sigh... living by and by, I reckon. :happy:

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm pretty happy with the era I'm in right now. I can take a shower whenever I want and there's toilets. Something about being clean and sanitary that keeps me happy in this era.

bobafrett
05-20-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm glad to live in the time period I was born into. I've got to see a lot of advancements in technology, the birth of the internet, got to see the original Star Wars in 1977 at the ripe old age of 12, got to enjoy the music and style of the 1980's, was old enough to have a decent income when the newer waves of Star Wars toy's were released. Yep, I don't have any complaints, I have a car, a roof over my head, and a 12 year old son who loves me. I wouldn't change era's for the world.

QLD
05-20-2003, 12:55 AM
Hmm...perhaps the "Age of Aquarius!"

Tonysmo
05-20-2003, 01:51 AM
Im in agreeance with bobafrett.. but if I HAD to choose one.. gimmie the ol west.. 1860 ish..
NO RULES. What? You lookin at me? BANG! anyone else wanna throw a dirty glare my way?? Didnt think so.. Im pretty sure I could take out ol Jesse one on one... Im not a bad shot.

lets expand on this a bit... What ERA would you pick... if you knew what you know NOW....

Right before the goldrush? Maybe beat Rockerfeller to the oil?
be buddy buddy with Bill Gates in college? hmmmm....

what about 50 years in the future?

Jargo
05-20-2003, 05:01 AM
Actually LIMP, technically we're in the age of Aquarius now. I believe it was actually due to begin in 2000. Astrologically speaking of course. Spiritually it's anytime you want it to be.

Knowing what I know now I would go back to 1984 and replace myself. Live this life again and avoid some pretty nasty mistakes. Do some stuff I didn't have the courage to do back when. Bag some of the people I wanted to but didn't have the balls to ask. :)

scruffziller
05-20-2003, 08:47 AM
I should've been born in the 31st century.

Kidhuman
05-20-2003, 04:45 PM
I am kinda fond of the era I was born in as well. I couldn't imagine riding a horse everywhere. I like the technology as well. If I had to pick an era it would probably be the sixties. I would definitley be a hippy. I would of loved to see the original Woodstock as well. I could have seen so many great musicians play live as well.

Patient Zero
05-20-2003, 05:16 PM
The height of the most advanced civilization before the big bang in the prior universe, the current one and the next one.

EricRG
05-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Medieval times. I would have been a wizard fighting red dragons in dungeons and doing alchemy and hanging out with brave knights and rescuing maidens in distress and studying spellbooks and ridding the land of evil and collecting magical items and charting unexplored areas and frolicking with elves and slaying Medusae and minotaurs and consulting with other wizards and drinking mead and growing a long white flowing beard and learning how to speak to goblins and collecting gemstones and living in a castle and going on quests and...

jjreason
05-21-2003, 02:55 AM
I would have liked to have been born into a middle class family in Brooklyn post war. That way I could have grown up watching the greatest era of baseball ever played, with 3 of the best teams within cab ride distances. If I had been born in 1948 say (when my dad was, coincidentally) I would have been 13 when Fantastic Four #1 came out, 14 for the first appearance of Spider-Man, and firmly entrenched in the Marvel Mythos by September 1963 when Xmen dropped. Of course, I'd have collected every 12c Marvel, and kept them in pristine condition knowing full well they'd be worth a small fortune today.

If I'd chosen the same career, I would have been an NYPD officer during a pretty hectic time in NYC. Son of Sam and racial tension probably would have given me an ulcer.

If I was 29 in 1977, would I have given a rat's arse about Star Wars? Hard to say.

All in all, I wouldn't go back to any era or choose to "do it all over again" without the luxury of being able to get back to where I am right now. In the grand scheme of things, I think I've got it pretty good here and now.

RooJay
07-07-2003, 08:19 PM
I've often felt that I would've fit in quite nicely in either the medieval period, the american old west, or the 1930-40s. Not sure why, just seems like it'd be a good fit.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-08-2003, 04:20 AM
I'd love to be born in which ever time period we figure out how to travel faster than light so we can explore the universe, when we can break down and rebuild ourselves on a molecular level, sending these molecules through space faster than light to any location we choose and when we figure out how to make anti-grav "engines" so I can fly around on a speeder bike.

I would NEVER want to live in the past, I can do that through books, photos and history and that's enough for me! I'm all about the future and am very interested in seeing what human beings will accomplish.

However, I could go back and relive my childhood over and over again, that wouldn't be so bad. :)

Imperialist_14
07-08-2003, 09:29 AM
I think I would like to have been a teenager in the late 1950's early 1960's. :cool:

The birth of Rock N' Roll, the Civil Rights Movement, President Kennedy's New Frontier!!! :D

It just seemed like an exciting and golden time in American history. I remember my late father's stories about growing up in that Era and once I told him that I envied him for that.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2003, 11:40 AM
The future is always better in terms of medical capabilities so give it to me! Even at the turn of the last century the infant mortality rate was extremely high and if you made it through that you would probably be dead by the time you were 40 anyway. Hit 50 and you were the old man on the block. No thanks.

sith_killer_99
07-08-2003, 12:25 PM
I think I was born 1,000 years too early. I would like to have been born in 2974, yes, defintaly 2974!

Just think how great that would be! If we had all been born a tousand years after we were actually born, then we could have already watched all 6 Star Wars movies! Not only that, but every SW figure would be vintage! AND George Lucas would be dead, so we wouldn't have to worry about how he might butcher the OT to fit in with the PT, because we would only know the finished product, and maybe a few bootlegs of the "Original Theatrical Release".

Yes, I think it would be just keen to be born in 2974!

It was 2980-something, in the world that I grew up in. I wouldn't trade those days for nothing....

Exhaust Port
07-08-2003, 01:18 PM
We'll still be waiting for the OT on DVD.

RooJay
07-10-2003, 08:26 PM
It might also have been cool to have been alive a long time ago, but only if I could've also lived in a galaxy far, far away... ;)

(and surprisingly my Geek Test score was not very high at all... :confused: )

kool-aid killer
07-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Ive been reading the last of the mohicans by james fenimore cooper and i think it would be cool to have lived around that time. I would want to be a native american and my tribe would call me "Kills Kool-Aid." Or maybe in Detroit during the sixties. Motown suckas!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-10-2003, 09:44 PM
I kinda wish i was around in the 20's and 30's. I think the clothing and styles, very much overdone at times, but looked awesome. Plus, I want to walk around in a stovetop hat and an eyepiece (M onocle? those glass eye pieces that connect from like my ear or whatever) and not be giggled at. Plus, i would love to have danced the charleston. :D My friends and i would do that at OU after we had some beers in us. Memories....(sigh) :crazed:

RooJay
07-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Monocle, perhaps?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah, that's what i said, monocle. :D

That's what i said, booty trap!! :crazed:

thanks for the info, Roojay. I just wanna wear one of those and be like, "who is this GHASTLY man?!??" :)

RooJay
07-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Personally, I wish capes were still in style. They just seem so very striking to me. ;)

Kidhuman
07-10-2003, 10:28 PM
when we figure out how to make anti-grav "engines" so I can fly around on a speeder bike. :)

You know I would race ya to TRU................ :crazed:

That would be sweet, flying around on speeders.

Exhaust Port
07-11-2003, 12:30 AM
A friend of mine really wants to fly around in a Trouble Bubble. I don't get it, that was the lamest means of transportation in the GI Joe cartoon. Please don't let that be our future transportation. Give me a Segway! Oh wait, those things suck too.....