PDA

View Full Version : I'm such a sucker.

sith_killer_99
05-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Well, I did it. I sent a figure to AFA. Today I recieved an e-mail stating that the figure arrived safely, and that it would be graded in accordance with it's tier.

Before you all go beating me up, please let me explain.

I'm not a big "error" collector, but there are a few out there that interest me. I was fortunate enough to find a unique paint error on a Stormtrooper Luke a while back. Being a fan of the Stormtroopers in general, I have always had a fondness for this figure. It is sort of an odd gem in my collection.

Over the last few months I have been spending money on taking care on my carded collection. I have bought a few (hundred) star cases, boxes, etc. and rented a climate controlled storage unit.

Now, I had been considering buying a few hard acryllic cases for some of the "Gems" in my collection. I stopped by the AFA website and noticed that they were having a special for the month of May (2 dollars off express service). So I decided, what the heck. I can send it in, have it checked out and sealed in a case, for just a few dollars more than the cost of a standard acryllic case.

I will post my thoughts on their overall service, speed, etc. when I get my figure back.

I know that grading isn't for everyone, or even most people. I have also heard all the talk about how AFA is destroying the hobby, etc. I am interested to see what others think, let's just keep it civil.;)

DarthChuckMc
05-20-2003, 11:08 PM
So when you get an AFA 70 grade Luke Stormtrooper with a paint error, which in reality makes it a DEFECTIVE/QUALITY CONTROL slip-up, will it really be worth the money you spent? You could have kept it in a starcase for eternity, and been just as happy without spending extra cash, for someone else to tell you something you paid $5, is now probably worth less (or worthless) because of their MASTER grading skills.
I'm not raggin' on you personally SK99. This isn't a personal attack by any means. I LOVE my carded collection just as much as the next fanatical collector, but I don't need someone else telling me how much it's resell value is or will be, because I handed them some cash to "professionally grade" my toy.
If we were talking about vintage cars, like a 68 'vette or mustang, I could see going to an outside source to give me a "real world" value....but these are toys....mass produced....some still available in retail stores, others in comic/collectable shops. Not to mention the 1,000s of other guys like you and I, hanging on to these things like they're sculpted and packaged by Picasso himself.
If it were a vintage 12 back vinyl cape Jawa or DT Vader, I could see sending it off to be graded, because 99.9% of those were opened and played with in 1978, but something available at Wal*mart in the last 5 years, even with a nifty paint flaw, seems ridiculous to me...but that's just one fat man's opinion :D

Tonysmo
05-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Kudos your taking a chance though - I hope you get a sparklin grade on it. I think every one of us should try it out at least once, even if it is a recent fig. Just to have solid opinons instead of assumptions.. I tried my hand at it once, and didnt have the best experience.. different company, different product, bit graded they were.. and not as I had hoped.

Good luck to you Sith - I hope they score it to your expectations.

dr_evazan22
05-20-2003, 11:41 PM
SK- Your only a sucker if you regret sending the fig in in the first place. We all have something that means a lot to us personally, whether it's SW or not, that would be trash to someone else, so I wouldn't look to us for affirmation (or condemnation). Other than that, I would only say what's been said in many other places: it's only (monetary) worth is what someone else is willing to pay for it, graded or not.

What else can you tell us about the fig? Do you have a scan or a photo you can share?

plasticfetish
05-21-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I know that grading isn't for everyone, or even most people. I have also heard all the talk about how AFA is destroying the hobby, etc. I am interested to see what others think, let's just keep it civil.
All of the back and forth on this issue of how "AFA is destroying the hobby" is honestly pretty silly to me. Having something "appraised" doesn't necessarily guarantee an increased value. It's simply another facet of the collecting hobby to me ... for you, it will satisfy your curiosity and it'll be kind of fun. Hey ... isn't "fun" supposed to be part of this hobby? Gosh, if it got any more stressful, what with the big moral and philosophical debates I think I might need another hobby to distract me from this hobby.

SO ... what I really want to know is, what's the "paint error" and what grade do you think the figure will get. It'll be interesting to see how your "intimate" opinion compares to the AFA opinion.

sith_killer_99
05-21-2003, 07:52 AM
SK- Your only a sucker if you regret sending the fig in in the first place.

I don't regret it. The way I see it, it would cost me almost as much to put this in an acrylic case. I priced cases at $11.00 plus shipping ($3-$4). This way I get an acrylic case and it's sealed for $20.00! I like the acrylic cases because there is no chance of the fig/card getting damaged, and it displays better than the Star case.

As for the whole production error/poor quality control thing. The way I see it, production errors are a part of collecting, from stamps to coins and SW seems to be no different. I'm not the kind of guy to spend big money (more than retail) on an error, but I like that I found something unique for my collection.

Edit: BTW, the Stormtrooper helmet is missing the black paint on the mouthpiece. I do not have any scans right now. I will post a pic when I get it back.;)

JediTricks
05-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
If it were a vintage 12 back vinyl cape Jawa or DT Vader, I could see sending it off to be graded, because 99.9% of those were opened and played with in 1978 You'd trust the mail with a 12-back vinyl Jawa?!? Not me, I'd rather fly there than risk somebody accidentally destroying or losing it on route to getting graded or coming back.

QLD
05-21-2003, 09:22 PM
With the package you received back in the mail a few years ago JT, I wouldn't mail a freakin' birthday card!

DarthChuckMc
05-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
You'd trust the mail with a 12-back vinyl Jawa?!? Not me, I'd rather fly there than risk somebody accidentally destroying or losing it on route to getting graded or coming back.

No way in Hades......Unless it was insured for around $4000, even then, I'd rather have the figure. I was just comparing the scarcity of the 12 back vinyl to a POTF2 figure, that (almost) everyone who collects carded figures, has at least one of.
The paint error makes it unique. I'm not disputing that by any means. I had a Saga "bloody hand" Bespin Luke, that's was missing the paint on the gun holster and leg strap, and a POTJ Sandtrooper missing his backpack.
They were neat to have, but I didn't want them because they were incomplete and had a bad paint job. I like my figures to have great paint jobs, as well as be on mint cards. It's kind of like buying a brand new car (albeit less expensive), and not having a dash board because they forgot to install it.
$20 isn't bad I suppose....but why pay more for a display case than you did for the action figure, graded or not? It seems like such a waste of money to me.
You can buy 40 Starcases for $1.25 each, and the figure will still be protected and dust free. Like JT and LIMP, I would be concerned about it being lost or destroyed in the mail.
The whole process is too risky for me. Not that it HAS happened, but what if they mix your figure up with someone elses that came in to be graded?
Say for instance....2 POTF Amanaman figures come in to be graded. One gets an AFA 90, the other gets an AFA 70. They accidently mix them up, and you get back the AFA 70 by mistake, knowing darn well yours was in better shape.
What action can you take? Will you ever see YOUR figure again, or are you eternaly stuck with an inferior carded figure, because they goofed?
Not that this scenario has anything to do with YOUR situation....I'm just saying...What if???

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Just wondering SK99 if you got your luke stormtrooper back and if you are happy with the grading and of course I'm curious as to how much they graded it for??

BTW, was this a POTF85 or POTF96 Luke stormtrooper?

sith_killer_99
06-28-2003, 08:50 PM
FRICK, my daughter just erased everything I wrote.

Just see my post under "AFA the inside scoop."

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 09:34 PM
FRICK, my daughter just erased everything I wrote.

Just see my post under "AFA the inside scoop."

hmmmmmmm, where is it located please, this "AFA the inside scoop?" I did a search and all it came up with was this particular thread LOL

Kidhuman
06-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Well I dont think you are a sucker. Everyone has that precious piece to their collection. This happens to be yours. If you want to spend money to have it graded so be it. I dont know if I ever would but that is my business. I am sure if I ever got a Vintage 21 Back Boba Fett I would want to have it graded. Plus it ensures that the piece you hold precious in your collection is sealed forever and will be free from any type of damage.

sith_killer_99
06-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Sorry, it was under reviews, here is the link:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19600