PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sales - do you? don't you?

Dar Basra
05-22-2003, 03:18 PM
E-Bay is probably the closest I've come to hitting a garage sale in looking for figures. Do any of you, with any regularity, go to real garage sales with an eye towards getting anything? I imagine that when kids go off to college, or earlier, a lot of parents clear out the old toys. Though no carded collection would probably be abandoned my the kid, loose ones might be available.

Kidhuman
05-22-2003, 04:35 PM
I have gone to some and not found anything really. I have heard of people finding good stuff at yard sales cheap though.

El Chuxter
05-22-2003, 04:38 PM
I used to find really good stuff, but for the past couple of years, everyone seems to have become convinced that every single little piece of junk is worth tons of money. The last thing I found at a garage sale was a loose vintage Zuckuss (now known as 4-LOM) with his weapon for a quarter, and that was about two years ago.

JabbaGlob
05-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Earlier this month I found a vintage incomplete Luke Poncho for 25 cents. Not bad...I've seen him on Ebay for @ $20.

If you have a free Saturday, hit those garage sales. You'll never know what you'll find.

TheDarthVader
05-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Garage sales: full of baby clothes and books. I don't waste my time with them. One saturday, a friend and I decided to go to about 5 different garage sales. It took time and gas money, and after 2 1/2 hours, we had not found anything. I can not endorse going to garage sales.

stillakid
05-22-2003, 10:39 PM
Sometime around 1987 and the few years hence, I and my mother hit a bunch of garage sales in the countryside and literally found boxes of Star Wars stuff for mere dollars a piece. That's where my Sandcrawler and a host of other figures and things came from. But I fear those days are long gone with Ebay in every home and "collector" fever invading every psyche. Now every home body with some old toy thinks it must be worth a billion $. I think that you can still find some stuff at garage sales, but those finds are few and far between.

bobafrett
05-22-2003, 11:16 PM
I hope to run into some mother who doesn't realize the value of her kids SW collection after he has moved out, and puts it up for dirt cheap. I did get two Burger King glasses that I needed to complete my set for a quarter each.

I have a freind who has literally given me items in his collection including a Darth Vader figure case, loose figures, a Jabba, and many other loose collectibles. He didn't even charge me a penny. With friends like that, you don't need garage sales!

JediTricks
05-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks to stuff like ebay, everybody thinks everything is a collectible, so I haven't found many bargains at yard sales/garage sales in the past 15 years. In the vintage era, the late '70s to late '80s, there used to be some great toys for really good prices at yard sales, but no longer. Anything priced at a less-than-ridiculous rate is usually severely damaged in some way. With this in mind, I no longer check out yard sales for SW or anything else.

plasticfetish
05-22-2003, 11:30 PM
I've been a pretty regular thrift shop ... ummm ... shopper for a long time now. I'll find good things on rare occasion. Found a bag of vintage Ewoks a while back and that was nice.

Garage sales tend to be worthless in my area. I don't go out looking as often as I should and yeah with eBay and everyone seeing the "collectibles" shows on cable ... most people seem to knows what's worth what. (At least they think they do.) I think the days of finding some poor sap's Star Wars collection being sold off by his clueless parents are long gone ... most of that stuff's been sold and resold. But, you never know ... between the thrift stores, estate sales, garage sales, rummage sales, swap meets and good old word of mouth things can still be found.

mm74md
05-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Flea Markets are a good way to find even newer stuff. I actually got some POTJ figures at a Baltimore area Flea Market for just a few $$$ each.

tgr3328
05-23-2003, 09:22 AM
A coworker told me about a garage sale that had a bunch of carded figure. The woman was going to sell them in the garage sale, but instead decided to sell them in an on-line auction. I wonder which one? :confused:

Mandalorian Candidat
05-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Another vote to nix the garage sales hunt. I've only been to one that had SW toys and they wanted something like $50 for a jacked-up vintage Falcon w/o landing gear, ramp, remote, hidden floor panel, main removable panel, and cockpit lid.

Like most of you I'm skeptical that people are as oblivious as Martin Prince's mom and would put their SW stuff out on the lawn for a dime a piece.

Rogue II
05-23-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't go to garage sales. When I lived in Colorado Springs, I used to go to the Flea Market every week or so. It is pretty much just one big garage sale. I managed to get a couple vintage figures pretty cheap, not to mention Ree-yees and the Death Star trooper for $5 each.

The best buy I made was a box 500 of sports cards for $10. I found rookie cards of Eric Moulds, Keyshawn Johnson, and Marvin Harrison among others. There was easily over $100 worth of cards in there.

InsaneJediGirl
05-23-2003, 09:22 PM
I used to hit yard sales with no luck..so thrift stores seem to be the way to go.I'm helping out my collecting and a charity at the same time.I found a few loose POTF2 figs awhile back..they were pretty useful for customizing.

karinations
05-27-2003, 07:11 PM
The days to score at garage sales ended around the time Full House was cancelled.
These days every old lady on the planet is hip to Star Wars having some sort of value so forget it.
Thanks to all those damn tv night time news human interest stories "IS the junk in your attic really treasure?! To some Star Wars fan it is,and they are paying BIG BUCKS to get it!"
Or some stupid similar voiceover promo that began popping up in the late 1990's.
Followed by "Milk,is it a silent killer? Find out what you and your children need to know to protect yourselves"'
You know that voice over jerk that runs on news promos in any city.
Yeah we're all like...we all know what im saying...

Anyway,
You can still find He-Man and maybe score some G.I.JOe stuff im sure,but EVERYBODY knows Star Wars is collectable.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-01-2003, 01:02 AM
I always tell myself that I need to start checking out garage sales, it seems that at least around here, that every other house is having a sale one time or another.

However, it is then that I usually think to myself and say, "That is silly, what kind of people actually think that someone is going to buy their garage?" :D

bernard mazur
10-02-2003, 04:57 PM
E-Bay is probably the closest I've come to hitting a garage sale in looking for figures. Do any of you, with any regularity, go to real garage sales with an eye towards getting anything? I imagine that when kids go off to college, or earlier, a lot of parents clear out the old toys. Though no carded collection would probably be abandoned my the kid, loose ones might be available.

Any garage sale/flea market I've been to are really slim pickin's. If you gor for parts--great--be prepared to clean, clean, and clean again as the figs are usally trash. Back around, oh, say, 1988-1991, it was a pretty good way to find good loose toys, but those days are long gone. My advice is this, if it looks bad, offer a nickel per fig, since the seller probably has no idea what it is they're selling and they don't care. Only WE know how truly valuable they are (heh-heh). ;)

Jaff
10-02-2003, 05:01 PM
I've been to a few but generally don't find much, so I don't go out of my way for them.

Dr Zoltar
10-02-2003, 05:45 PM
My wife and I visit them whenever we have a weekend free. We've gotten a used lawn mower, electric hedge trimmers, a rototiller, and some decent furniture cheap. The rototiller was a Craftsman and almost brand new for 1/4 of the cost. We got a 1920's all wood sewing desk for $20. And an old silver chandelier for $25.

But you do have to search to find the good stuff. 90% of the garage sales we visit have baby clothes which are useless to us.