PDA

View Full Version : Who needs Dominos.....when you can do this.

QLD
05-22-2003, 05:12 PM
This is a pretty sweet video. I can't imagine the patience it took to put it together!

http://home.attbi.com/~bernhard36/honda-ad.html

derek
05-22-2003, 10:47 PM
that is cool, but since it is actually a car commercial, i wonder how "real" it really is.

stillakid
05-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
This is a pretty sweet video. I can't imagine the patience it took to put it together!

http://home.attbi.com/~bernhard36/honda-ad.html

Very cool! However, the page claims that no CG was used. If that is the case, then how in samhill did those tires roll uphill and stay there?:confused:

And furthermore, I'm not saying that it is impossible, but that camera move was extraordinarily precise. Almost too good to be true. It's hard enough to get a move like that right when your dealing with actors or inanimate objects, but when combined with a Rube Goldberg effect of that length, the timing would have to be dead-balls-on accurate at every step of the way. Some kind of motion-control rig might be able to pull it off, particularly if the designers of the "layout" had done it a hundred times previously and had a very good and consistent idea of when each event would occur. It's great, don't get me wrong, but I have a hard time believing that it is all a realtime event.

QLD
05-22-2003, 10:48 PM
I read something about it when I came across it, that said it took them 650 tries or so to get it right. Supposedly the engineers worked on it. Take it for what you will.

stillakid
05-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Anybody know how to copy a Flashfile? I tried rightclicking but it doesn't give the same options that other video files do.

James Boba Fettfield
05-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Um, on that page maybe you guys missed this article. (http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/13/nhonda13.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/04/13/ixhome.html)

At one point three tyres, amazingly, roll uphill. They do so because inside they have been weighted with bolts and screws which have been positioned with fingertip care so that the slightest kiss of kinetic energy pushes them over, onward and, yes, upward.

I took that from the cited article off the page.

stillakid
05-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Um, on that page maybe you guys missed this article. (http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/13/nhonda13.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/04/13/ixhome.html)

I took that from the cited article off the page.

Yes, I did read that afterwards. Maybe so. I'd really like to see the "making of" video that had to have been shot for this. With the time and energy spent, they must have known there would be questions and a lot of interested people.

JediTricks
05-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Anybody know how to copy a Flashfile? I tried rightclicking but it doesn't give the same options that other video files do. I saved it by going to my Temporary Internet Files (aka the browser's cache), copying the completed .swf file, and then pasting it into my c-drive. To read it, I simply type the location into the URL bar or probably use the "open file" button but I'm too thick-headed to try that.

Stilla, the weighting of the tires is definitely the likely way they did that, I've seen that sort of thing before, the amount of roll is brief but usually fast-acting as long as the surface has the proper angle to it.

Kidhuman
05-23-2003, 06:08 AM
That was a cool video. Must of taken months to set up.

scruffziller
05-23-2003, 09:32 AM
That is one of the best pieces of cinema I have ever seen, forget the movies I am going to buy an Accord.

keith koth
05-23-2003, 04:13 PM
I watched it and thought the same thing about the tires. I suppose that the tires could have been weighted, but when that middle tire hits the third tire it begins to roll backwards down the wooden beam, then suddenly (like magic) the tire reverses direction and begins it's journey back up the wooden plank. Can proper weighting cause that? I'm no physics expert, but I did take a physics 101 course, and that middle tire defies everything I learned in that class. :crazed:

Could someone with an extensive physics background explain how that middle tire changed directions and began moving back uphill?

James Boba Fettfield
05-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I'd really like to see the "making of" video that had to have been shot for this.

If, on the other hand, you live in the UK, you can get a free copy of the full advert on DVD, including a music video of the track that plays at the end, an illustrated guide to the parts used and a four minute making-of documentary. Oh, did I mention it was for free? I've got mine...

Call the Honda UK Contact Centre on 0845 200 8000 to get your copy. It'll take about two business days for you to receive the DVD in the post.

Let's make Pendo order us copies and send them stateside.

Kidhuman
05-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Good idea. Or upload it and email it to us.

JediTricks
05-24-2003, 01:14 AM
keith, I don't have an extensive physics background, but it seems like the center of gravity for the tire was still higher up when it rolled back, the tire rolled back from rebounding off the top tire momentarily but then continued rolling forwards towards its center of gravity. If the tire's new center of gravity is heavy enough and it's balanced just slightly close of the opposite of that, a tap will cause it to roll forward off that balance and pull the tire uphill towards this heavy center of gravity.

Try cutting an empty plastic water or soda bottle in half - one with a large diameter - and taping a row of coins or stones at one point inside (you can go all the way across from the top to the bottom). Then roll it, you'll see that it tries to find the center of gravity; if the weights inside are heavy enough, it'll even do this on an upwards slant.

stillakid
05-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
keith, I don't have an extensive physics background, but it seems like the center of gravity for the tire was still higher up when it rolled back, the tire rolled back from rebounding off the top tire momentarily but then continued rolling forwards towards its center of gravity. If the tire's new center of gravity is heavy enough and it's balanced just slightly close of the opposite of that, a tap will cause it to roll forward off that balance and pull the tire uphill towards this heavy center of gravity.

Try cutting an empty plastic water or soda bottle in half - one with a large diameter - and taping a row of coins or stones at one point inside (you can go all the way across from the top to the bottom). Then roll it, you'll see that it tries to find the center of gravity; if the weights inside are heavy enough, it'll even do this on an upwards slant.

What keeps them from moving when you set them down?

Kidhuman
05-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Good question.

Exhaust Port
05-24-2003, 11:24 PM
You can balance the tire with it's counterweight exactly above the center of gravity. All it would take is a slight nudge to start it rolling, in this case up hill. There could very well be a wedge or something that helped prop up the wheels as they waited to be hit but that wouldn't be necessary.

JediTricks
05-27-2003, 02:25 PM
For the little plastic bottle experiment - balance.

For the tire itself - balance and traction, those tires aren't going to slide away, they're made to grab a surface.

UKWildcat
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I just saw this commercial for the first time the other night. Very impressive. For those of you who have not seen it yet, here is a link.

Honda Commercial (http://www.creativeclub.co.uk/prelogin/mg.aspx?m=tv&r=208543&ref=)

No CGI or trick photography. Over 600 takes, 6 million dollars and 3 three months to complete it.

Snopes link (http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp)

Amazing... Simply amazing.

Slicker
02-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I saw this long ago and it's all entirely possible (and obviously is true). If you do something enough times you'll eventually get it right.