PDA

View Full Version : Down with Potter!!!

The Bald Ewok
11-18-2001, 07:06 PM
Hey anybody else a little disappointed that Harry Pothead took away TPM records? I know I feel really upset because star wars lost to another bad movie ie. titanic. Maybe its just a little pride on my part, but I kind of liked it knowing that star wars was the record setter. Leave it to a corporation to find something and overhype it to the kids. Down with POTTER!!!

LTBasker
11-18-2001, 07:30 PM
SW's fanbase is more teenager-adults and Harry Potter is more directed towards kids so if more kids bug their parents about going to see Harry Potter, that's gonna up the sales because of the parents and the kids so I wouldn't say Potter is more popular it's just got more appeal to kids and some teens/adults. I don't like Harry Potter and think it's highly over hyped and a movie came out WAY too soon, but you really gotta look at technicalities and such. Plus eh, putting the 3rd trailer on Harry Potter also upped the sales most likely for the people who went to see it for the trailer alone since alot of people have slower modems and might not want to download a 28 meg file on their computer which might also have limited harddrive space.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-18-2001, 08:42 PM
The theater I saw HP at didn't have the trailer before it. That's what I didn't like about it! But if you hate Harry Potter purely because it beat SW records, you're a bit short sighted in my opinion. That doesn't consider the film itself, only money paid to see it. Any new film that breaks records these days gets the beneft of higher ticket prices, so I don't care about gross receipts.

Just me and my $.02 worth... :)

Magnolia-Fan
11-18-2001, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by The Bald Ewok
I know I feel really upset because star wars lost to another bad movie

Have you even gone to see Harry Potter?

master jedi
11-18-2001, 10:54 PM
I'm not really disappointed that Harry Potter broke SWs records. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

JediTricks
11-18-2001, 11:52 PM
I never expected that little record of Ep 1's to stand, what with increasing ticket prices and movies getting bigger budgets. Plus, I hear Harry Potter is a really good movie, if a little long.

AmanaMatt
11-19-2001, 02:42 AM
great movie with some (not all, mind you) very cheesy cgi!

Rollo Tomassi
11-19-2001, 10:59 AM
I agree, there was some good CGI and some atrocious CGI. That centaur in the dark forest was awful. I had flashbacks to the RockScorpion in Mummy Returns...

The movie itself was excellent. Very faithful to the book. And IMO it deserves to break the record. They were playing EP1 from midnite on that first day and it was a shorter film. To my knowledge , Harry potter only played at normal times and since it's longer, it actually has less show times during the day. So it made as much money with only half the amount of shows. Well done.

Brave Sir Robin
11-19-2001, 11:19 AM
If you hate Harry Potter because it is not your style, because you prefer other fantasy like Tolkien or whatever, then that is fine. If you hate Harry Potter simply because it is pulling in more money than Episode 1....you are a moron. I'm sorry, but you are. You're just having sour grapes about it.

And Titanic was a brilliant movie.

browndroid
11-19-2001, 01:28 PM
no worrys here, if ep2 doont break it then lotr should........:D

Mandalorian Candidat
11-19-2001, 01:37 PM
I don't think it's just kids going to see HP. About every chick I know bought tix at least a week before it opened. Look at Titanic. About every female with $7 went to go see it, probably dragged along their boyfriend, and then went with their cat-club friends another few times.

Although we males of 18-50 are the prime targets for marketing people due to the fact that we make the bulk of money over the rest of the populace, it's the women that ultimately spend it and there are more of them than us. Throw in the kiddies and we're just outnumbered 2-1. When a flick like this comes out and appeals to this broad spectrum it's going to win out.

I don't really mind Harry Potter, and actually thought Titanic was decent, but really feel disappointed that the top flick isn't from the SW franchise. I hope this gets G.Lu. going to make a better movie.

El Chuxter
11-19-2001, 03:08 PM
Most people in the industry really don't care about records. You know what happened when ET broke SW's record? Lucas took out a humorous ad in a trade publication showing ET taking a crown off Artoo's head, with a congratulatory message. When the SE's came out and SW took back the title (from Jurassic Park, another Spielberg movie), Spielberg took out a similar ad showing Artoo stealing the crown back. When Titanic beat that record, Lucas took out an ad in the same magazine showing Star Wars characters on and around the Titanic as it sinks.

Bottom line: Lucas isn't losing sleep over it. I'd be surprised if he and his kids haven't already seen it, in fact.

Wolfwood319
11-19-2001, 03:40 PM
I think Harry Potter will stick around for awhile, it might even beat Titanic, if it stays in theatres long enough.

I saw it with my niece and nephew, and it was pretty good. My only complaint was the length, and the screaming kids.

I don't think LoTR or AOTC will beat this, mostly because as much as I'm looking forward to both, the only market that is really going to see either is the male teen to the 40-50 yr olds. I don't know of many children and middle-aged women looking forward to see Frodo and company.

They'll both probably do well, but not record breaking. I think Harry Potter has it for this year as #1 at the box office.

bigbarada
11-19-2001, 10:46 PM
I know a lot of guys in my unit who were planning to go see Harry Potter last weekend. All of them said it was a great movie.

Personally, I think the whole "my favorite movie made more money than your favorite movie" debate is a little juvenille. Let's save it for the playground, shall we?

BTW, my dad can beat up your dad!!!:p

Obi-Don
11-20-2001, 08:46 AM
To each his own.I will always be a Star Wars fan. But I do leave room for other things and stories in my life.I haven't seen it yet,but I plan to.

Rollo Tomassi
11-20-2001, 11:04 AM
Or "My Armed Forces can beat up your Armed Forces." eh bigb?

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Or "My Armed Forces can beat up your Armed Forces." eh bigb?

I think we pretty much just proved that one overseas.;)

master jedi
11-20-2001, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
what with increasing ticket prices

I don't think that would really matter because for older movies they factor in inflation(sp?).

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2001, 06:59 PM
Master Jedi, they don't use inflation-adjusted numbers for film records. If they did, Gone With the Wind would dominate any movie's totals. It's just raw, gross money. Think about it: how much were tickets in 1977 when SW set records? Even 1999 for TPM was less than now. In the not-so-distant future, when tickets will be $20 each, a crappy movie should at least make $50 million.

BTW, people are intitled to their opinions. But HPATSS is a great film!

Wolfwood319
11-20-2001, 07:30 PM
Except Mariah Carrey's Glitter.

That movie only made like 3.5 million the whole time it was in theatres, and it was the only new movie that opened the week it came out.

Sad Sad Sad....

Magnolia-Fan
11-20-2001, 10:24 PM
Mariah Carey had a movie?!?:eek:
Was it a good as Vanilla Ice's movie?:crazed:

Wolfwood319
11-20-2001, 10:34 PM
Vanilla Ice had a movie?!?

Are you talking about TMNT2 or did he actually star in a movie... nevermind, I don't think I want to know.

stillakid
11-20-2001, 11:03 PM
The only true test of a movie's popularity would be an accurate count of "numbers of tickets" sold, not dollars received. Since they don't do that then we'll never know.

As far as it's popularity goes, I saw an interview this week (can't remember who, unfortunately) in which it was suggested that the Harry Potter series might possibly turn out to be the Star Wars for this generation. It has all the elements in it that captured our imaginations in the 70's. With Lucas missing his target in this century, the kids are looking for a new mythology to get excited about beyond Pokemon. Harry Potter may just be it.

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319

Are you talking about TMNT2 or did he actually star in a movie... nevermind, I don't think I want to know.

It was called Cool As Ice. He only sang in the beginning of the movie but kept up his "yo! yo! homie!" image throughout the picture. ......Geez where's the "puke" smiley??:crazed:

Stillakid, I think you might be right about Harry Potter's affect on today's youth. And I'm willing to bet that Star Trek and Buck Rogers fans of the seventies rolled their eyes at our seeming obsession with Star Wars.

Magnolia-Fan
11-20-2001, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319

Yep.

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 11:31 PM
Now aren't you sorry you asked, Wolfwood?:p

Mandalorian Candidat
11-21-2001, 10:39 AM
That movie must have the corniest tag line...

"When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add ice."

Umm, excuse me but doesn't stone have to get exceedingly hot before it melts?

stillakid
11-21-2001, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

It was called Cool As Ice. He only sang in the beginning of the movie but kept up his "yo! yo! homie!" image throughout the picture. ......Geez where's the "puke" smiley??:crazed:

Stillakid, I think you might be right about Harry Potter's affect on today's youth. And I'm willing to bet that Star Trek and Buck Rogers fans of the seventies rolled their eyes at our seeming obsession with Star Wars.

I never really did get into Star Trek. The poor production design made it all seem way too cheesy. I do remember seeing Buck Rogers in the theater way back when. It was interesting but that certain special something was missing. I think that it was the dumb Beedie robot or whatever it's name was. It was too "geeky." The chick in it, wearing that skin tight black body suit, saved the show.

Of course when SW came out, we finally got some cool droids and very cool villian costumes to look at. Now, that whole "used" galaxy look has been copied by a ton of other films so the Star Wars look has nothing new to offer the new generation that they haven't already seen.

Potter has a magical "earthy" feel and somehow transmits that idea that it is all somehow possible, the way we felt about Luke back in the pre-Midichlorian days. (you like how I slid that in there ;) ) Cheers!

Wolfwood319
11-21-2001, 12:17 PM
I'd view Potter more as this centuries Tolkien. Although I'm sure kids will be obsessing with Potter for years to come. It could be the next star wars, you never know. Although they said Battlefield Earth was going to be the next star wars too....

Word t' yo' mother!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-22-2001, 09:36 AM
Every time I see a new image from E2 of Natalie Portman fighting in costume, I think of that outfit Erin Gray wore in the Buck Rogers TV show. Should Hawk make a cameo appearance in AOTC? ;)

Here's what I remember about "Cool As Ice." While riding his slick, ultra-cool motorcycle through some small town, it breaks down and needs fixing. He meets this girl who at first doesn't like him (plot surprise! :p ) but he grows fond of her and vice versa, turning out to be a nice guy. After fighting some creeps, or something. The end. Hooray.:zzz: We outta here...

master jedi
11-26-2001, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Now aren't you sorry you asked, Wolfwood?:p

I'm sorry for him.