PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer? Amazon or Ebay?

scruffziller
05-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I have always had better luck at finding certain things on Amazon moreso than Ebay. In a way Ebay just seems like a hive of scum and villiany because it has a potential for big earnings so every lowlife flocks to it to hope to get $400 out of an old tea kettle. I feel more comfortable on Amazon and similar places.

Pendo
05-24-2003, 11:14 AM
It depends on what I'm looking for. If it's something that's easily purchasable from Amazon, I'd usually use that, but if it's an item that's no longer produced, or not available in the UK, I will use Ebay :).

PENDO!

scruffziller
05-24-2003, 11:48 AM
I have been able to get some movies no longer produced on Amazon from ordering from independent sellers.

Exhaust Port
05-24-2003, 12:46 PM
eBay has a better selection of items in the topics that I'm looking into. Amazon just doesn't have the depth when looking for a less previlant collectible. Over time, that'll probably change through.

EricRG
05-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I've never ordered anything from Amazon, but used eBay to both buy and sell about 50 times. I love eBay. You cannot beat the prices in general. You do have to be a little careful, though. But I've had 100% good experiences, myself.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Yeah, i gotta go with amazon. Don't get me wrong, I love the e-bay and have had a lot of luck with it, but there isn't a chance amazon can rip you off and whatnot. Plus, you don't have to badger folks about payment and whatnot. :D

Kidhuman
05-24-2003, 04:59 PM
If you I am looking for a lot of figures I will use Ebay first. Try to get a good deal on them. I have used Amazon to buy used books and such. It all depends on what you really need.

Darth Jax
05-24-2003, 07:20 PM
i equate every 'auction' site as being a step below the local flea market. at least at the flea market you can inspect the item yourself and don't get taken with shipping charges. death to all internet auction sites.

oh yeah, i don't frequent the flea market either.

bobafrett
05-25-2003, 01:09 AM
I have never checked out Amazon, so I can't give an honest answer as to which I feel is better. I do have a promotional coupon, $10 Amazon.com Certificate. It expires March of 2004, but I'll forget to use it, and then find it the week after it expires.

On eBay, I have had one bad experience. But overall, I have picked up some items that I never had the chance to purchase in my younger years.

Tonysmo
05-25-2003, 02:28 AM
In regards to Ebay.. You can almost use Ebay like the Jedi archives... If its not on Ebay, It doesnt exsist.. and thats pretty much a golden rule. Think of anything.. even mildly absurd.. and check Ebay.
I throughly enjoy Ebay, and while I have had some slight issues, ( not reading the fine print that the seller was planning on raping me with shipping charges.. ) it doesnt take away the fact that it is an amazing site... It certainly needs to be used wisely though.. as with pretty much anything that involves your AFF ( action figure fundage.. )

EricRG
05-25-2003, 02:59 AM
"If it's not on eBay, it doesn't exist." So true.

scruffziller
05-25-2003, 12:31 PM
I agree that Ebay will have a wider selection I just don't feel as safe, as with Amazon I feel more secure and you don't have to fight for an item. Even though I have had 100% success on Ebay.
But like a Flea Market I can see that. Like Wierd Al says "This World Wide Garage Sale."

Originally posted by Tonysmo
Think of anything.. even mildly absurd.. and check Ebay.

How many are serious though??

Ebay's slogan should be.................

IF WE DON'T HAVE IT, YOU DON'T NEED IT

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
but there isn't a chance amazon can rip you off and whatnot. Plus, you don't have to badger folks about payment and whatnot. :D

When you say that, do you mean regular folk independent buyers/sellers too.

Originally posted by scruffziller
I have always had better luck at finding certain things on Amazon moreso than Ebay.

I should clarify, I meant to say "aquired" rather than "finding".
I always encounter some serious snipers on Ebay. I usually go way down the list to the bottom for an item. But I usually have a hard time getting a good bid and seem to always get outbid. So I usually like the BUY NOW feature.

sith_killer_99
05-25-2003, 12:57 PM
I have used them both and hate/love them evenly.

Ebay is what it is.

Amazon gives me an erie feeling that they plan on taking over the world (wide web). Target, Toys R Us, it seems that just about everyone is hooked into Amazon.com.:crazed:

Oh and the saying should be "If you can't find it on Ebay, come back tomorrow.";) I have seen some pretty odd stuff come and go, and then surface again.:crazed:

On a side note, back in 1999, Yahoo.com had a good online auction going, I almost prefered it to Ebay. Of course, that was back in my rookie, internet, gotta have it now collecting days.:crazed: Boy am I glad those days are over.:D

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-25-2003, 09:35 PM
E bay is fine for me I can get all kinds of junk for alot cheaper than retail...

Tonysmo
05-26-2003, 02:47 AM
didnt Axel Rose say " all you need is a little patience "

Unless I really really really have to have it now... I can stand to wait for a good deal to come along on Ebay. I even got a Ki- Adi-mundi 12" off of Ebay cheaper than the fan club site..

Its funny to think back about those "rookie" days..
When I was first introduced to Ebay I had just started getting into collecting football memorabilia ( Houston Oiler stuff.. ) and I of course found a TON of it.. buy buy buy.. then as I expanded.. and started looking around, I found it odd, that people were selling..... INFORMATION. WHAT?! how can this be? selling information? hmmm... what do I know that might be worth something? Maybe I could come up with something that could supplement what I was spending for my football stuff. This of course was back before Kazaa, before Audio Galaxy.. and before Napster.. back when you either used the IRC, or better yet, the good ol newsgroups.. How many people knew about those newsgroups? THATS IT! Ill put together a nice CD on how to explore the different newsgroups and how to download and put together the different programs n such. Called it the Hackers Edge. It actually sold over 100 copies. Then of course Napster came out and ruined everything! It was fun while it lasted. The good ol days when things were somewhat free.. Yahoo auctions were free.. ( are they still? it's been years ) and Ebay had low low charges,.. Times have changed however, and now that Ebay has a fan base of a million plus they can charge out the arse. Then Paypal comes along.. man did we need that.. no more waiting on checks or money orders.. INSTANT cash... FREE... not anymore.. build up a customer base, start charging out the arse.. you gotta love it.

All in all its pretty freakin cool to see how things have changed. Some for the better. Some not.

Now all we need are mini pods next to our PCs.. instant goods. something the size of a mini postal scale. Maybe expandable depending on which model you choose.. You pay for your auction, and they "beam" it to your pod. Instant pay, instant mechandise.. Teleportation of goods.. only because they have tried it unsuccessfully on living.. but give it time. next 30 years? Its a thought.