PDA

View Full Version : Happy 26th to the Spectacular Film that started it all!

stillakid
05-25-2003, 02:34 PM
So long ago, but the genuine undeniable quality of Star Wars Episode IV is evidenced by its staying power after all these years. Its timeless and universal tale remains just as fresh today as it was to audiences 26 years ago.

I was reminded of this date this morning while watching CBS Sunday Morning. Not just a casual mention, but they actually spent a couple of minutes running through the old films with just a brief mention of the new ones to show that it's still going. Complete with great old footgage of 1976 audiences standing in line.

I also realized that 26 years ago, I was the exact age as my own son is now. Man, does that make me feel old.

Exhaust Port
05-25-2003, 04:43 PM
26 years? Wow, that's really long ago. Put your self in your shoes as a youngster seeing ANH and having your parents talking about this great movie they loved from 26 years prior. Not too many movies from 1951 would have interested me. ANH has become a timeless classic.

Pendo
05-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Happy Birthday Star Wars :).

PENDO!

Fixer
05-25-2003, 08:28 PM
And Happy 20th Birthday to Return of the Jedi. Not a single mention anywhere. Poor Ewoks.

The Overlord Returns
05-26-2003, 12:16 PM
What????? No special super duper theatrical edition of ANH for this its illustrious 26th anniversary????? ;)

Exhaust Port
05-26-2003, 12:24 PM
No, they're saving that for the 27th. :)

Pendo
05-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Well the Archival Editions will be out for it's 29th Anniversary :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

bobafrett
05-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Ahh, I remember the first time I saw Star Wars..........wait, no I don't, that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Happy 26th Birthday to you, and Happy 38th birthday to me as of May 23rd. I liked having my birthday the same month that a Star Wars film came out! It meant that I was always going to be able to see it at least once as a present!

stillakid
05-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Maybe one of you guys knows, but did the Star Wars novelization come out the Christmas prior to the film's release? I remember getting it for Christmas, but I'm also pretty sure that it was the very first Star Wars thing I ever got.

Exhaust Port
05-26-2003, 10:12 PM
That brings up a good question Stillakid, what was the first thing SW that you got as a kid. I'll have to ask my parents for help on that one. I remember having a book, a couple figures and a small dicast ship pretty early on but I don't know what I got first.

stillakid
05-27-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
That brings up a good question Stillakid, what was the first thing SW that you got as a kid. I'll have to ask my parents for help on that one. I remember having a book, a couple figures and a small dicast ship pretty early on but I don't know what I got first.

I also remember that I didn't even know they had toys available with the movie for a while. So on my own, I made all the ships out of cardboard. I recall having an XWing, a TIE, and a pretty rough Falcon. I was beside myself once I saw that REAL toys were being made. Look where it's gotten me.:rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Complete with great old footgage of 1976 audiences standing in line. Wow, that must have been one lonnng line considering SW didn't come out until '77. ;)

Yes, the book - ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster - was released in '76 which is why so many people think the movie is based on the book, when in reality the book is based off of the screenplay but was released before the film to build excitement... IIRC of course.

The toys weren't available until a year after Star Wars was released, which certainly is different from today.

stillakid
05-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Wow, that must have been one lonnng line considering SW didn't come out until '77. ;)

Congratulations! You win the Easter Egg Error Hunt. :) Way to go! Stop by the office for your box of Rice a Roni.

Oh, and thanks for the clarification on the novelization. I can sleep now. whew.

mini-rock
05-28-2003, 01:00 AM
Ahh yes, happy birthday old girl. Lying on her death bed, breathing her last breath as she see's her younger sister ESB rolling in an electric wheelchair, and the youngest of the bunch ROTJ hobbling in with her walker, as they watch there older sister slipping away. It's not a sad time though b/c they know the maker (GL) will resurrect the poor girl, and breath new life into her soon so don't worry. No worries about being outdated or watching the superior prequels run circles around her, surpassing everything she ever accomplished b/c soon ANH will be brought up to speed. Look forward to seeing you in the AE's ANH.;) :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

2-1B
05-28-2003, 02:10 AM
Yes, the book - ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster - was released in '76 which is why so many people think the movie is based on the book, when in reality the book is based off of the screenplay but was released before the film to build excitement... IIRC of course.

That is exactly my recollection as well. :)

JediTricks
05-29-2003, 02:14 AM
Congratulations! You win the Easter Egg Error Hunt. :) Way to go! Stop by the office for your box of Rice a Roni. Rice-a-roni is a lie - it's half noodles!!!

Anyway, it's great that so many consider Star Wars a classic film up there with Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, the Godfather, and Citizen Kane, that the film nearly 30 years later is still recognized for being a truly wonderous film. Perhaps LOTR will make it to this point, but other than that I cannot think of one modern film that has held the impact and value that Star Wars continues to.

Beast
05-29-2003, 02:27 AM
Rice-a-roni is a lie - it's half noodles!!!
*Cough* Hence the Roni part. Rice and Macaroni. :D

But I'm sure that you already knew that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
05-29-2003, 03:12 AM
Yeah, but they're not rice noodles, nor are they even hollow noodles! See? See?!? It's all a big conspiracy to convince us that riding hundred-year-old cable cars is safe and fun!

Beast
05-29-2003, 03:22 AM
Yeah, but they're not rice noodles, nor are they even hollow noodles! See? See?!? It's all a big conspiracy to convince us that riding hundred-year-old cable cars is safe and fun!
That's true. Technically it should be called, Rice-a-getti if they wanna be more accurate with the name. Now Pasta-Roni or Noodle-Roni is completly nuts. Isn't macaroni already a pasta and a noodle. Hmm, it must be late and we've lost out minds, because we're having a fairly intelligent debate about frickin' Rice-A-Roni. :crazed: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Isn't macaroni already a pasta and a noodle.

That's like light being both a particle and a wave. How fast can a macaroni go?

Kidhuman
05-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Well JJB to answer your question, pasta is made with semolina and noodles with egg. That is the differernce between the two. SO they can not be the same.

Beast
05-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Yeah, but they are still calling it -A-Roni. So it's wrong no matter what. The whole Roni thing was what we were talking about. And you can get noodles with no egg as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
05-29-2003, 09:20 PM
I just read it, but I'm still not seeing how a birthday celebration turned into a rice discussion.

So, this normal for birthday parties with you guys?

stillakid
05-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I just read it, but I'm still not seeing how a birthday celebration turned into a rice discussion.

So, this normal for birthday parties with you guys?

Have you ever tried putting candles in a bowl of Rice a Roni? It's a mess.

bobafrett
05-30-2003, 12:27 AM
I've never had a bowl of Rice-A-Roni, let alone one with birthday candles.

It seems that the Star Wars birthday has passed with little fanfare in this thread, just like my own birthday did.

JediTricks
05-30-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Well JJB to answer your question, pasta is made with semolina and noodles with egg. That is the differernce between the two. SO they can not be the same. Actually, pasta can be made with eggs; semolina is a type of flour used in nearly all pasta due to its gritty, course texture with a high protein content; and noodles are usually a ribbon-like type of pasta.

Oh, and the most accurate name based on the current concept for the product would be "Rice-a-vermicelli", but nobody wants to eat a quickly-prepared dish named after worms.

Have you ever tried putting candles in a bowl of Rice a Roni? It's a mess. You have to use less liquid during preparation and then reduce its sauce down. For best results, use a thickening agent like cornstarch.

2-1B
05-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Or you could just light the noodles. :D

stillakid
05-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Or you could just light the noodles. :D

Hmm, preparing Rice a Roni on the grill...Roasted Rice a Roni might be good....once you pick the pieces off the charcoal that is.

Anyhow, one more shout out to what I think (my opinion) is the overall best Star Wars movie yet made...Episode IV. Much better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again.

Exhaust Port
05-31-2003, 12:24 PM
Anyone been to San Francisco? Is Rice-a-roni really a San Francisco treat? Is it really even a treat? On Halloween in SF do kids come to a door, yell TRICK OR TREAT and get a bowl of Rice-a-roni dumped in their bag? Blah! San Fran people are weird.

For those that don't remember the old commericals and jingle for Rice-a-roni it went:

"Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco treat." <ding><ding>

The <ding><ding> was the street car ringing it's bell as it crested the hill. It never made much sense.

bobafrett
06-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
For those that don't remember the old commericals and jingle for Rice-a-roni it went:

"Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco treat." <ding><ding>

The <ding><ding> was the street car ringing it's bell as it crested the hill. It never made much sense.

Only those in San Francisco truely understand the meaning of that one. I live in Illinois, so I don't have a clue to the whole trolley tie in.

stillakid
06-01-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
Only those in San Francisco truely understand the meaning of that one. I live in Illinois, so I don't have a clue to the whole trolley tie in.

I could be wrong here, but...

The cable cars were extensive throughout SF for a time because the hills are overly steep. At least they were for the horse and carriage days. (And they still are if you drive a stick shift ;) )

Anyhow, trolleys=San Francisco, just like lobster=Maine and rain=Seattle.

There is also a huge Asian contingent living in and around the San Francisco area. I can only imagine that something called "Rice a Roni" would have sprung out of Asian type meals.

JediTricks
06-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Actually, Rice-a-roni was created in 1958 by Vince DeDomenico, an Italian-American son of a pasta manufacturer. The DeDomenico family had enjoyed an Armenian rice/pasta/chicken broth dish (basically rice pilaf) that had come from a recipe from the family's Armenian neighbor. After tweaking the recipe to make it a packageable product Vince named it "Rice-a-roni" and started marketing it to local San Francisco grocery stores. This is why it's the San Francisco treat, and since the city is famous for its cable cars, this is why they were featured in the ads.