PDA

View Full Version : Cantina Deluxe....Cancelled or not?

stillakid
05-26-2003, 12:02 AM
So, is there an official word on the second round of Cantina Sets? Are these cancelled, as the rumor mill says or is it just that...a rumor? I know for a FACT that at least that preying mantis guy (Kit something) exists in the real world. How many were made? How many released to advance super lucky collectors? Who knows. But since at least that one made it this far, I don't understand why Hasbro wouldn't at least offer it as a Fan Club pre-order.

So, what's the word, if any? Thanks.

JangoFart
05-26-2003, 02:17 AM
The "official" word, as I recall, is that they are not set for a 2003 release. As for 2004, Hasbro says that they don't comment on 2004 releases. I think this set is dead in the water. As poorly as the first set sold, it's kinda amazing they decided on a second set in the first place. I haven't seen any numbers for the actual sales, but you STILL can't walk into a Wal-Mart without seeing 500 of those suckers.

I think that majorly sucks as I was excited about this wave. Hell, I was excited about the first wave and bought a couple of each. And to think I passed up on a set of these offa eBay for about 20 bucks each.....

J

Kidhuman
05-26-2003, 06:17 AM
They should of put the second wave out first. I think it would have sold alot better then Greedo and co. But hey, thats Hasbackwards for you.

Turbowars
05-26-2003, 10:05 AM
I heard from a little bird that the sets are all carded up and sitting in a warehouse waiting for a buyer since WM pulled out. This just doesn't make sense. Why would Hasbro just be sitting on them? They are just losing money as we read these posts. I would think they would offer the sets to the Fan Club like above or an online store like EE.

kool-aid killer
05-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Hasbro woudnt have had this problem if they had given the cantina sets new aliens. Nobody wants another Greedo. The green mantis guy was the only one that interested me of the six. I really feel that if they had included Dannik (the guy with the pipe) or some other new character the cantina sets would have sold. The only figure in the second wave that anybody is talking about is the mantis guy. You dont see any post about wanting wuher and dr. evazan.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-26-2003, 06:53 PM
I don't have Wuher and Dr. Evazan so I wanted them...!

stillakid
05-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
The "official" word, as I recall, is that they are not set for a 2003 release. As for 2004, Hasbro says that they don't comment on 2004 releases. I think this set is dead in the water. As poorly as the first set sold, it's kinda amazing they decided on a second set in the first place. I haven't seen any numbers for the actual sales, but you STILL can't walk into a Wal-Mart without seeing 500 of those suckers.

I think that majorly sucks as I was excited about this wave. Hell, I was excited about the first wave and bought a couple of each. And to think I passed up on a set of these offa eBay for about 20 bucks each.....

J

Apparently Hasbro dropped all of those into your local Walmart. In the whole time that they supposedly were in general release, I only saw 2 of the original sets on a peg...and that was near the end of the run. Clearly, around here anyway, they either didn't ever have very many or they did have a ton and they sold like hotcakes. Where this ridiculous notion that they didn't sell well came from I'll never know, but I'm certain that it didn't come from these parts.

But more to the point, we KNOW that they've already created these things, at least the molds, the packaging, and at least a few for release. What would be the harm in "direct sales" through the fanclub if no retailer is interested in touching them?

By the way, could a moderator please move this to "Dear Hasbro"? Thanks.

sith_killer_99
05-26-2003, 07:03 PM
We still have tons of these things hanging around warming pegs, as do many others from reading the Just Found Section. I am sorry to hear that you had such a hard time finding these stillakid. Especially considering how many of these are still hanging around out here. Unfortunatly, all the cards/bubbles are beat to ...!

Anyway, yes, we know these are out and about, Brian's has/had all of these up for sale not to long ago (presell). Though I'm not sure if they still have 'em.:sur:

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Today there are only 10 still there at 3 dollars along with all the force flippers.....

JangoFart
05-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Apparently Hasbro dropped all of those into your local Walmart. In the whole time that they supposedly were in general release, I only saw 2 of the original sets on a peg...and that was near the end of the run. Clearly, around here anyway, they either didn't ever have very many or they did have a ton and they sold like hotcakes. Where this ridiculous notion that they didn't sell well came from I'll never know, but I'm certain that it didn't come from these parts.

But more to the point, we KNOW that they've already created these things, at least the molds, the packaging, and at least a few for release. What would be the harm in "direct sales" through the fanclub if no retailer is interested in touching them?

By the way, could a moderator please move this to "Dear Hasbro"? Thanks.

The "ridiculous notion" did not come from me stumbling into one Wal-Mart here in nowhere Oklahoma. I travel from OK to MS twice per month. There are TONS of Wal-Marts along the way and EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM is littered with these suckers. They are, and have been, on clearance for about 4 bucks and they are STILL not moving.

I'm no economists, but that is not indicative of stellar sales to me. Hotcakes must be selling poorly around your parts....

J

stillakid
05-27-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by JangoFart
The "ridiculous notion" did not come from me stumbling into one Wal-Mart here in nowhere Oklahoma. I travel from OK to MS twice per month. There are TONS of Wal-Marts along the way and EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM is littered with these suckers. They are, and have been, on clearance for about 4 bucks and they are STILL not moving.

I'm no economists, but that is not indicative of stellar sales to me. Hotcakes must be selling poorly around your parts....

J

;) Walmart has some funny ideas of distribution, is what I was getting at. Apparently they are basing their decision on a faulty dumping of product in "nowhere Oklahoma." Maybe if they dumped an equal share into some heavily populated areas, like Southern California, then the stuff would move off the shelves. Just a thought. I'll never understand retailers as long as I live.

JangoFart
05-27-2003, 01:03 AM
Amen to that!

J

Jargo
05-27-2003, 06:09 AM
I thougfht the official word was that they wouldn't be released in the states but were only being made available 'overseas'? At least those they actually produced anyway. But as usual one person at hasbroken says one thing and then someone from the same compant contradicts them and then someone refutes all information and then someone else.......... :rolleyes:

stillakid
05-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Okay, let me ask this then: Are these things available from any third party scalpe...er, um, resellers like Brians Toys or Yestertoys?

JangoFart
05-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Okay, let me ask this then: Are these things available from any third party scalpe...er, um, resellers like Brians Toys or Yestertoys?

Yeah, Brian's Toys has them for "pre-order", but there is a disclaimer on the page which says, in essence, they don't know when and if they are actually coming out. Amok had them for "pre-order" too, at one point. Don't know if they still do.

The statement that they were being made, just not in the States is a new one to me. I'd actually prefer that than what I posted, but I just don't think it's right.

J

Jargo
05-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Well they were made or at least some of the order was but then when WM pulled out of the deal they ceased production by all accounts. Those that were made will be sold in countries like Australia, China and Europe. But odds are that the number of pieces made was small. And thus stores will be alloted a certain number only. But at the same time someone somewhere will keep a cargo container full and hold onto them until everyone is desperate to have these things and then up the price significantly like what happened with the Eopie. And also with the pit droid pack in sets. It always amazes me how suddenly nine months down the line these apparently 'found' shipments suddenly start to appear on the harder to find items.

Turbowars
05-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Just to back up Stillakid Old Fart, the WMs in our area and even out of it do not have any of these things. They sold out quick. If they shipped some over here they probably would sell.

JangoFart
05-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Well, maybe it's CA's problem, then. I've really never heard of anyone saying they can't find these suckers. First time for everything, though.

J

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2003, 09:55 PM
I thought the first wave was great! More accurate paint jobs/sculpts of all three, with a removable arm for Ponda!
They really need to do the second wave. The Wuher now sucks, I don't have the Cantina Showdown 3-pack w/ Evazan, and Kitik is too cool not to make. Just give them to Yestertoys!

droidekas2
05-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Hasbro has put the money into making the molds, etc. Why cant they release them anyway. Walmart cancelled the deal so why cant Hasbro still do something with them here. Walmart has the right in the contract to cancell something that went into production and then also have the right to say that these cant be released in the U.S. Sounds crappy as usual. Hasbro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a clue.

Also, why cant a deluxe set be made for the regular line for general release everywhere that contains the curved end of the bar. First off, find out what the most wanted cantina alien is (that has yet to be made!! not some repaint!!) and put it with a curved section of the cantina (which eveyone wants and needs to complete theirs) and I guarantee you that they would sell.
Its a no brainer.
Who sits at these meetings at Hasbro when they make these decisions?

bobafrett
05-28-2003, 09:36 AM
I reserved the second wave with some online retailer, just in case they get released eventually.

Jargo
05-30-2003, 05:27 PM
R2DTOYS is now saying that hasbroken has pushed back any release until December. Perhaps they found a stockist after all and will wait while they produce enough to go round 'everyone that wants one'. Another twist in the neverending tale of the elusive non appearing fabled cantina deluxe sets........ :rolleyes:

Well I shall leave my two pre-orders as they stand and wait and see what happens. Hopefully at least one the suppliers will get some preview sets in and I'll get mine before december or whenever the hell these things are going to show up.

kdp100
05-30-2003, 05:27 PM
I too have just received the latest newsletter from online retailer R2DToys, indicating that this 2nd set has been shelved again, this time until around December 2003.

Please don't shoot the messenger....

Seems odd that they're holding back on these sets, especially while they're reissuing old figures that we HAVE seen on shelves in the past...

Jargo
05-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Oh i don't think anyone would shoot you kdp 100. It's more likely that a bullet carefully aimed will strike down the reps at the next convention hasbroken shows up at. :evil:

kdp100
05-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Odd timing - we posted the same info simultaneously!

Anyway, I'd duck if I had warning!