PDA

View Full Version : New expenses - I hate not being able to afford action figures for a few months!

Tycho
05-26-2003, 12:45 PM
I have to spend about $1,350 for all my financial licenses and real estate licenses (with health insurance classes) etc. right now.

Employment in government planning is on full hold because of my city's budget crisis. Meanwhile, as I'm studying, I'm not as active pursuing private consulting contracts in my other business.

But the commissions in my securities firm are so lucrative, that I'll make back my $1300 almost immediately.

But meanwhile, I'm passing chances to spend $100 bucks here and there on Star Wars.

I wanted to drop a Ben Franklin over at KebCo and come up with:

Jango Kamino Deluxe
Obi-Wan Kamino Deluxe x 3 or so...
the Super Battle Droid maker
a couple Spider Droids

and so forth.

Plus I guess the 12" Lando Skiff Guard is shipping now, and boy have I wanted a couple figures of him for a while now!

And I'm about 6 Aayla Securas behind!

Anyone else have to make sacrafices now and worry that you won't be able to find the figures that ARE actually available now, when you go looking for them later?

I mean my income will be that much better when I'm done with my professional licensing, but I might have to turn to Brian's Toys or e-Bay or worse. I hate doing that.

Kidhuman
05-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I have to spend about $1,350 for all my financial licenses and real estate licenses (with health insurance classes) etc. right now.

I hear ya man. I just got licensed for Life, annuities and health insurance. Ispent about 400 dollars between classes and two tests. The best thing was that the company gave a 400 dollar bonus when you start working with them. It took a wehile but I am finally working with them for the last three weeks. I went out on Sssaturday and looked but found nothing. I bought a MOC ESB imperial commander instead on Ebay. Commisions will be good to us. Good luck in your job and happy hunting. BTW if anyone lives in Va and needs insurance, just PM me and we can talk about it. :)

stillakid
05-26-2003, 08:09 PM
As a freelancer, I'm always in a state of "crisis." Either I'm working and saving for those "days off," or I have "days off" and shouldn't be spending money.

The way I figure it, I can buy what I want when it is cheapest regardless of how much liquid cash I have available for it. Even if I have to use credit, it will still be cheaper in the long run to pay a month of interest (if need be) than paying the secondary market mark-up.

Besides, I have this irrational fear that if I don't get things immediately, then I might never have the chance, save for paying some outrageous price to a scalper later on. Any interest due is worth the savings in angst that I might feel.

bobafrett
05-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Besides, I have this irrational fear that if I don't get things immediately, then I might never have the chance, save for paying some outrageous price to a scalper later on. Any interest due is worth the savings in angst that I might feel.

I hear that, I have a tendency to buy stuff at retail when it first comes out, because I don't know if I'll ever see it again, except on eBay.

At the moment, I am only partially employed, and I just went down a filed for unemployment. My CC are just about maxed out, and I am waiting to find out if my son will be returning for school next year or staying with his mother in Florida. In the mean time I continue to search for 25 hours or so of daytime employment. I'm juggling my bills, but I am getting them paid on time, just not as early as I used to.

I just hope the stuff I preordered on EE doesn't come in this next month, at least not until I get a little more room cleared so I don't go over my limit. This also puts a damper on future purchases for now.

mini-rock
05-26-2003, 10:30 PM
No, I don't have that problem. I consider myself pretty fortunate that I can buy whenever I feel, but since I retired last month I do watch my spending now.

Old Fossil
05-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Well. As a struggling writer whose wife is a full-time graduate student, I have to watch every penny. I pretty much limit myself to no more than $25-30 a month for Star Wars. Some months, I spend half that, or less, simply because if I can't find something I really want at retail, I don't spend the money.

Darkross
05-27-2003, 11:18 AM
I've got a budget of $20.00 per month right now...but hopefully soon that will go back up to $40.00 per month. I'm like Stillakid...in that last summer I bought 2 Tie Bombers and 2 Snowspeeders on credit in the US (after laying them away for 2 months). I really hate paying scalper prices especially on vehicles. So far I've been pretty fortunate to find most of the vehicles at retail or close to retail. Nice to see some of the POTF2 and POTJ figs starting to come down in price ...even at scalper stores. Just another 200 figures...and I'll be caught up. Sigh!

JangoFart
05-27-2003, 01:48 PM
The only crisis I'm facing is trying to FIND something to #%$%'ing buy!! (Although I did manage to pick up the 3 new Clone Wars deluxes on eBay.)

J

Val Da Car
05-27-2003, 02:35 PM
I am diorama/army building like Tycho (so the KBtoys closeout has actually been good to me). Super Battle droids, Red Clone Troopers & R2-D2's for $3 each is not bad at all. (Buy one @ $5.99 and the second is free).

Between selling my house, moving to a apartment and building a new house (all this week) I have had to curtail my spending. Especially due to storage limitations.

JangoFart
05-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Moving...... ugh!!

Fire, tornado, or other complete destruction is the only thing gettin' me out of my house! Moving has to be one of the worst things in life - right behind buying a house.

Best of luck to ya.

J

mini-rock
05-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
Moving...... ugh!!

Fire, tornado, or other complete destruction is the only thing gettin' me out of my house! Moving has to be one of the worst things in life - right behind buying a house.

Best of luck to ya.

J

No doubt. I'll second that, moving sucks BIGTIME!

droidekas2
05-27-2003, 03:17 PM
I guess I am lucky, I can buy whatever I want whenever I want. One of the perks of having a rich husband and no kids, I guess.

Tycho
05-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Have any rich, SINGLE, girlfriends you can introduce me to? :D

JediTricks
05-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Tycho, I'd feel for you, but the numbers you are talking about are cartoonish to me - you drop in a few days on SW what I couldn't spend in 6 months on the line if I tried; you buy dozens of a particular figure that most collectors think twice about buying one of. You're talking about not putting down $100 on SW right now, I can't even get Thrawn to pick me up a 2003 figure because my bank account doesn't have enough money in it to pay him back via paypal. I have no 2003 SW figs at all and now can't even afford to look for them anymore, so you'll have to forgive me if I come off a little cranky and offended, and don't sympathize with you being 6 Aayla Securas behind. I'm an entire 6 months behind on just 1 of the figures I want, that's not even 1 of every figure.

mini-rock
05-27-2003, 07:53 PM
WHAT?!! No 2003 figures? You mean 0? No ships or anything?

Back when I started collecting I limited my self to a "top 10 list" so I didn't go over board on spending that included ships figures (3 3/4 and 12") and misc. Once I completed the list I made a new one. Does or did anyone else do this? Right now my list is 12" Gamorrean Guard, Luke-Obi- and Sideous Unleashed, Yoda-Boba-and Han Unleashed, Yoda 12", Scouttrooper 12", and Leia on Speederbike 12". Luke w/ swinging arm I'll get as a gift, and the same with the Ewok 2-pack so that's why they aren't on my list. Anyone else do this? What is your top 10? Tycho, JT?

mini-rock
05-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Have any rich, SINGLE, girlfriends you can introduce me to? :D

Me too. I need a little "side pocket".:D
OUCH!! Just got punched in the arm by the wife.:eek:

Val Da Car
05-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Have there been any ships released for 2003. I am still buying the Jedi Starfighter for $4.97 and I will repaint it aqua and call it a clone wars Jedi Starfighter...

LusiferSam
05-29-2003, 10:08 PM
School took a big bite out of my bank account, so I feel for ya. But I found so little in the last 6 months it hasn't mattered.

derek
05-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
No, I don't have that problem. I consider myself pretty fortunate that I can buy whenever I feel, but since I retired last month I do watch my spending now.

just curious, but how did you retire? how old are you?:D

if you're under 60, any financial advice you can give us would be great.:)

WHAT?!! No 2003 figures? You mean 0? No ships or anything?

none for me either.

Tycho
05-30-2003, 08:42 PM
I had the opportunity to get the 12" Gamorrean Guard, as my KayBee just got a case of 4 of them in today.

I caved in and bought it! - and I don't regret it!

New toys make you feel so good when they're good - and this one's quality! (my review's on the last page of the long Gamorrean Guard thread in the 12" forums)

OK, now back to my budget (and possibly skipping a few lunches...)

sith_killer_99
05-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Maybe my second Tax return will help me afford some new stuff!:D ;)

How about it? Is anyone else planning on spending that bad boy? I just want to do my part to help the economy!:crazed:

Cheer up Tycho, just think how bad it could be...if Hasbro hadn't had that 6 month lull...:eek:

You could always do what I do, pass on those 12 inchers!;) Marmit makes a better product anyway.:evil:

We now return you to your regularly schedueled...um, whatever.:Pirate:

JEDIpartner
06-05-2003, 10:29 AM
These things are bound to happen when your leisure spending is out of control... ;)

bobafrett
06-05-2003, 01:37 PM
My leisure spending spun out of control. I have no credit left, and I have items on reserve at EE. I should be able to get the credit card problem settled in the next 2 weeks, but until then I have to hope that nothing comes ready to ship, otherwise they won't be able to make the transaction. I also have to get my son back to his mom in Florida for the summer, and that's not a cheap drive from Chicago. I have had to stay away from all Wal-Marts, Targets and other fine Star Wars retail establishments, and eBay.

JEDIpartner
06-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Hoooo-boy! I'm glad I keep all my spending in check. I'm just a figure collector (which is expensive enough). I don't need tens of a figure to be happy, thank God. That can be expensive. It's expensive enough to be an adult and have the mortgage, car payment, insurances and whatnot to account for each month. I just can't see spending scds of money and then coming up with nothing to take care of the "important" things. I know a few people who are that way with music, movies and the like. Like dad always used to say: "The bills get paid first and then fun can be had."

I think my dad was the template for Mike Brady. :rolleyes:

bobafrett
06-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh yes, the bills do come first in my place. The bad thing is, I spent quite a bit on my son over the past half year. This goes above my normal Star Wars spending. I mean, kids need clothes, food, and we have gone and seen a movie a week during the past month. My son goes back with his mom for the next 2 years, so I tried to get him stuff that his mom couldn't get for him. I know when there are items that I want, but can't realistically afford. I am very anal about getting my bills paid on time. I write them up on my dry erase calander, so that I know weeks in advance what bills are coming due. *Sigh* I'd love to win the lottery, but then I'd only end up with bigger money whoas, but I'd have cooler toys!

OC47150
06-05-2003, 04:22 PM
I have found, from buying/trading with fellow collectors on this board and others, if you ask them to hold something for you for a a week or two (until the next paycheck) they will graciously do that.

I have set a personal limit for my credit card. If I go over that amount, I set money aside for the bill. I might have to go without something to do that, but, hey, that happens. But if there's a clearance sale, a bargain is a bargain!

I have my spending in check. It's hard sometimes and I tend to splurge from time to time, but it's under control.

bobafrett
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
My leisure spending spun out of control. I have no credit left, and I have items on reserve at EE. I should be able to get the credit card problem settled in the next 2 weeks, but until then I have to hope that nothing comes ready to ship, otherwise they won't be able to make the transaction.

Well, I guess EE has shipped my June order out. From what I can determine, it is a case of Saga figures! At least I'll have one good thing to look forward to getting in the mail.

mm74md
06-09-2003, 04:17 PM
I just got laid off last week :cry: . Well, I was given my 60 day notice. I will have a toy shopping hiatus until I pick up a new job. Mortgage, van payment, baby food, electricity, etc, etc are so much more important and real :(

On a positive note, I'm all caught up with my collecting to date. Apart from the 12" Lando Skiff which hasn't been seen in my area ever!

Don't worry collectors, the economy will turn around someday. Maybe in January of 2005 when we get a new president (oops - no political talk - sorry - I am republican though so I'm allowed to bash GW & his tax cuts)

Tycho
06-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Target got the Deluxe SBD maker and the Spider Droids (which I needed 2 of) :rolleyes: so I think I better tighten my belt a notch.

I know I couldn't afford these....(never should have gone out to the store this morning...)

bobafrett
06-10-2003, 02:51 AM
Target got the Deluxe SBD maker and the Spider Droids (which I needed 2 of) :rolleyes: so I think I better tighten my belt a notch.

I know I couldn't afford these....(never should have gone out to the store this morning...)

I know how you feel Tycho, my son and I went out to see a movie tonight. I really couldn't afford it, but we went anyway. I'm not sure if he'll be going back with his mom to Florida for 1 month or 2 years. Anyway, I was trying to spend some time with him. The movie theatre was just down the street from a Meijer store. I was so tempted to drive the short distance to the store since it is open 24 hours. I kept thinking "They might have some new figures" but then that same thinking led me to drive the oppisite direction. I need to pay down my credit cards, before I go blowing more money on toys.

Tycho
06-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Exactly. You did the right thing.

I don't have any children, and I'm not married either.

You've got the unrealistic expectations of your son on your hands, as well as a natural obligation for him, but I imagine it's cool to be a dad, so that should be a reward in itself. Treat him well first. It sounds like you two had fun at the movies.

Me? I buy condoms first and believe probably everything I've heard Eminem record about women, second.

Maybe I'll find a girl, but maybe I should've stuck it out with someone I've dated and moved beyond from already.

I'll never become a father before I'm married. My only other option is that maybe one day I'll make some money in this world, and I can adopt and be like George Lucas, and be successful as a single father, while not increasing the population any further.

I have plenty of toys to share with a son, that's for sure.

But I work, and I'm interested and satisfied with what I do, so when I get the cash, what's 15 minutes or so wasted shopping on stuff that I liked as a kid, but a little bit of time each day to not have to be "such an adult" and live in the world that keeps me so busy making political decisions and sharing public responsibility, etc. Star Wars is one of the few really self-centered things I can still enjoy.

- after my responsibilities right now, unfortunately.

(but a couple spider droids and a SBDmaker just seemed to slip bye...now I gotta figure out a way to replace 33 bucks...)

Kidhuman
06-10-2003, 08:54 AM

(but a couple spider droids and a SBDmaker just seemed to slip bye...now I gotta figure out a way to replace 33 bucks...)

Sell a policy.:D

[DSS]Pedr0
06-10-2003, 09:15 AM
WeLL, I GUESS I AM VERY FORTUNATE THEN TO HAVE A JoB AND BE SINGLE. YOU GUYS COLLECT CRAP LOADS OF FIGS WHEREAS I oNLY GET THE MASTER REPLICAS AND LEGOs PLUS THE UNLEASHED FIGS. I TRY FOR 2 SABERS A MONTH WHEN THEY WERE RELEASED BUT NOW I NEED TO SLoW DoWN A BIT. MY CAR HAS NEEDED MAJOR REPAIRS IN THE PAST MONTH AND IT HAS BROKEN MY WALLET. SO NoW I MUST LAAAAG BEHIND ON ANY NEW STUFF. :cry:

Tycho
06-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Sell a policy.:D

Cute. I'm licensed to use the company's backging to do mortgage refinancing now.

I'm in life insurance school this week (1st class starts in 3 hours so I'm going to the gym to work out early here in a sec).

When I'm done with the class, there might be as long as a 1 month waiting period for the fiscal-and-bureaucratic-disaster you all know as "California" to process my eligibility to take the state test.

Meanwhile, I can do my securities licenses online, and test for the state online for that as well (I think...regarding the test part).

But mortgage commissions which I can already get, amount to thousands by themselves.

The whole idea is to be able to work a few hours a week and replace 2-3 times what hourly wages would have been. That's why I'm in the business.

It works for my friends, so I have them to help me (and they have all the interest in doing that since they get commission overrides from my sales). So I'll be able to tell you if I'm a success in about a month here. Hopefully some 12" Landos will a) be shipping and b) be locatable then.

Otherwise, I'm down:

6 Aaylas
3 Barriss
3 Deluxe Obi-Wan (Kaminos)
1 Deluxe Jango Fett (Kamino)
2 12" Lando
1 12" AT-ST driver
3 Yoda w. youngling
2 youngling 2-packs
1 Leia Unleashed

and I think that's it. Nothing else has been found anywhere else, right?

bobafrett
06-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Exactly. You did the right thing.

I don't have any children, and I'm not married either.

You've got the unrealistic expectations of your son on your hands, as well as a natural obligation for him, but I imagine it's cool to be a dad, so that should be a reward in itself. Treat him well first. It sounds like you two had fun at the movies.

Me? I buy condoms first and believe probably everything I've heard Eminem record about women, second.

Tycho, I should have taken on that advice. I was never married to my son's mom. She has custody of him since the day he was born. The hospital brought in these papers for me to sign giving her custody because we weren't married. Then shortly after my son turned 5, she dissapearred off to Florida (we broke up after my son's second birthday, but I got to see him pretty much anytime I wanted). I went into a massive depression, and had to seek counsoling, and was put on anti depressants which basically made me a zombie. After 2 years, I gave into the lawyers advice that I would be best to just wait until my son turned 18, then he would seek me out. Then in December of 2001, I got a call from my son's mom. She said that my son was going to have a bad Christmas, because the guy she married had left her for another woman. I told her I'd send my son some presents, but I wanted to see him, and she said "yes". My girlfriend at that time, reserved me a plane ticket, and hotel in Kissimmee Florida. After almost 6 years, and only seeing my son one time for about 30 minutes in that 6 years, I was off to Florida to see him for a whole week. Since then I had him the whole summer break of 2002, then he flew up at Christmas break, and he called his mom on New Years and told her he wanted to finish up the school year up here. She amazingly said "yes" to that. But as with any person, they are always free to change there mind, so like I said, I don't know if I'll have him until the end of June, or won't see him until next summer.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I have a very smart kid whom I love, and I'm single and I don't have anyone telling me I can't buy this toy or that collectible. Now I get to be a part of my son's life, which is better than any plastic figure. Until you have a child of your own, you don't know the thrill of hearing the word "Dad".

Okay, sorry, rambling has occured.

Val Da Car
06-10-2003, 11:02 PM
I applaud you because you actually do care for your son and when he is playing with the toys you got for him he will be happier about the time spent with you and the memories.

(not to get mushy)

I am married (10 yrs on the 12th) and no kids but I do have four nephews I do spoil with star wars and Transformers....

stad
06-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Yeah, Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and Transformers, 80's toys are the best! What, these aren't 80's toys?

bobafrett
06-11-2003, 12:40 AM
Well, the good news is, my son was talking to his mom tonight, and he was trying to talk her into letting him stay up here for school. I was so happy, his mom at first said "no", but by the time he hung up with her she told him, that "she would think about it". Having him up here with me is great, although I know his mom misses him, and if he goes to Florida for school, then I will miss him. Having my son with me cuts into my money too, plus I still am paying child support to his mother, haveing that extra money would sure benefit me.

Tycho
06-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Well, I admire you BobaFrett - for being a good Dad!

kool-aid killer
06-11-2003, 11:56 AM
I had to buy glasses yesterday (i usually wear contacts but due to "dirt" in my eye or something like that ive got to avoid them for about a month) and that set me back about $170 dollars because i havent worn glasses in over 4 years. So now the Fambaa i wanted is going to have to wait.

bobafrett
06-11-2003, 01:20 PM
I'm about 10,000 miles overdue for an oil change. I'm not kidding, but the place I take it to got me using Synthetic oil, and since I haven't taken my car there in so long, they are going to recommend that I have the oil changed where they add a cleaner, run it for a short while, then drain it and fill it again. That runs me over 100 bucks, but I've been so broke, I didn't have the money to get this done when the car reached 3,000 miles. It will most likely need an air filter change while I'm at it. I hate cars, but they get you from point A to point B a lot faster.

[DSS]Pedr0
06-11-2003, 01:24 PM
WHAT KIND OF CAR IS IT? AND ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS BUY A CASE OF OIL AND A FILTER AND DO IT YOURSELF. TAKE YOU LIKE 20 MIN TOPS. AIR FILTER WILL BE MORE BUT YOU WONT NEED TO RUN AND FLUSH AFTER THE INITIAL OIL CHANGE.

bobafrett
06-11-2003, 01:29 PM
2000 Plymouth Neon. I put over 71,000 miles on it already. Three trips to Orlando Florida and back, many trips to Wisiconsin, plus all the miles I drive to and from work. I haven't changed my own oil in quite sometime. The last time I think I did my own oil change I was driving a 1976 Ford Elite and there was a lot of space to work with. I don't like these smaller cars, but with what it costs to fill a tank of gas these days, you have to go with the smaller cars, until a semi flattens you.