PDA

View Full Version : What is happening in the media world??

scruffziller
05-27-2003, 11:12 AM
It just seems like everything media wise is becoming second rate these days. Movies, TV, Video games, Music have been really letting me down to the point of depression because it just seems like there is nothing to enjoy. Anybody else feel this way?:cry:

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Nope, I've been pretty happy with what's being offered these days with movies and music. Television on the other hand, anymore I just watch reruns of shows I used to watch when they were new. Video games have been kind to me as well.

Rogue II
05-27-2003, 11:44 AM
I know what you mean. To defend against this, I tend to stay behind the times in video games and movies. Lately the only things I've watched on TV have been baseball, hockey, and a couple of older movies I haven't seen.

Video Games
Soon, I will buy GTA: Vice City for PS2. That will keep me busy for a while. There are several games that sound good that were shown at E3. One of which is a Simpsons version of Vice City, which sounds fun. Of course, there is Rogue Squadron 3 coming out too, so there are things to look forward to.

Movies
The only movies I'm really looking forward to seeing are the next installments in Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I'll catch the Matrix movies when they come out on DVD.

Star Wars Collecting/Toys in general
I'm especially bored with this. I still haven't seen any of the '03 figures in the stores yet. Maybe something will come in at Target now that they have cleared away all the peg warmers.
Note to self: order Sandtrooper set, Hoth Han, and Mynock Chewbacca

I saw some of the Transformers re-issues this weekend-Jazz, Bluestreak, and Thundercracker. I fought off the temptation to buy them. They seem a bit expensive. It will be difficult to resist if I see Prowl or Soundwave.

Music
Well, the only album I've bought in the past year or so is Wierd Al's new one. Its ok. I'm assuming that all the rock stations in my area will start over-playing the new Metallica tunes in the near future. I'm not going to rush out and buy the album just because it is Metallica. Come to think of it, I never bought Load or Reload, but I have S&M and Garage Days. Anyway, after I hear a few songs, I will probably buy it.

EricRG
05-27-2003, 11:50 AM
LOTS of good new music out there. Better than recent years, for sure. Sigur Ros, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, new Radiohead real soon, Lilys, Interpol, new Jane's Addiction in a month, the Music.

TV is always pretty horrible. Except the Simpsons. And the Powerpuff Girls. But yeah, perhaps it's even MORE horrible now than ever.

I don't play video games. Waste of time, IMO. (Actually, I purposefully stay away because I know I'd become addicted if I bought a system.)

Movies...meh.

stillakid
05-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
It just seems like everything media wise is becoming second rate these days. Movies, TV, Video games, Music have been really letting me down to the point of depression because it just seems like there is nothing to enjoy. Anybody else feel this way?:cry:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19532

JediTricks
05-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Games have been kinda dull for me over the last few years except for GTA:VC, but I think that's more about my personal tastes and the myriad of consoles and PC requirements than the quality of games.

TV has been ok for a while, but scheduling has never been worse IMO. The programming departments at the networks have been doing a terrible job IMO and cable is just all over the map. This upcoming off-season time looks worse than any I've seen in my lifetime. Luckily, there's a whole world out there that doesn't involve Fear Factor reruns.

Movies have been a general disappointment for the past 4 years. Very few films have looked worthy of even matinee prices for me, I cannot remember being less excited at what the movies had to offer than now.

New music has been not that interesting to me, everything seems overcommercialized and overproduced, and the lack of music videos has really hurt my interest. I literally can't remember the last new CD I bought except for a few movie soundtracks.

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 05:14 PM
On a bit of a tangent, one thing that especially is bothersome to me is the way the media companies let older material become unavailable in favor of newer, generally lower quality material. Take CDs, for example. Nearly the entire works of Joan Jett and George Harrison (f'rinstance) are not only out of print, but commanding ridiculous prices on eBay and Amazon. Should the high demand be a clue to the companies who own the rights? Well, yes, they should, but record companies are more interested right now in producing as many copies of Britney Spears and Matrix soundtracks than letting fans have older material. (In the two examples I gave, Joan Jett doesn't even have a greatest hits CD in print, and George Harrison's only available compilation is so old it doesn't include half of his hits.)

Is the internet to blame? Yes and no. One hope I had for the net early on is that copyright holders could make everything available for a nominal fee. Printing costs too high to justify keeping Richard Brautigan's In Watermelon Sugar in print? Put it online. It would cost pennies to store the data, and interested readers would probably be willing to pay $1 each to download it.

It seems the problem is record companies, publishing houses, movie studios, etc, are too used to getting the big bucks to make the same thing available for less, even if they're not willing to produce something in quantities necessary to justify production.

Or how about with TV? I used to be able to see nearly any old show in reruns at some point. And now, it's pretty much continuous reruns of Simpsons, Seinfeld, and Everyone Loves Raymond. Nothing against those shows (well, except Raymond, which I find boring), but it would be nice to see Andy Griffith, Gilligan's Isle, or even The Brady Bunch, too.

Arrgh, how everything is becoming homogenized in the past few years. Get the suits out of the media and put the media back on the right track!

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Hey Chux, TV Land airs all of those shows you mentioned every day, usually more than once, too.

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Yes, but we don't all have TV Land. :( I don't think it would hurt local affiliates to air Simpsons one less time a day. I think the LA Fox affiliate should rename itself the Simpsons channel.

Patient Zero
05-27-2003, 05:46 PM
God yes! The only show that I watched weekly on tv got canceled and I hate this quizi-reality programming assualt. Movies are constantly disappointing. Video games just don't seem to be as innovative as they use to be. 99.9% of all US music is bantha poodoo. Even fast food is getting lamer. Seriously! You remember that McDonald's sandwich that came a divided container? You know "the hot side stayed hot and the cold side cold". Now that was damn genius! Remember when clothing use to actually have something to do with fashion and not just mindless trends spawned from second rate rock stars?

All I can say is thank god for overseas internet shopping, DVDs, the Final Fantasy series, cookbooks and an artistic girlfriend who can sew.

mabudonicus
05-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Hey Jonna, the "Mc.BLT", that rocked!!!!! What a concept!!!
And I saw an episode of Knight Rider last night where KITT got "hurt" and lost his confidence, Michael had to help him get over his trauma... TV's allright, as long as you like re-runs, Trailer park boys and the Daily Show....
Movies almost all stink, the American Godzilla was when I fully realized the problem...
Music?? Meh. It's just the mainstream that totally stinks, the bands I like still seem to be doing "the right thing"