PDA

View Full Version : All time favorite comic writers and artists

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 01:40 PM
No explanation needed for this, I hope. :)

My all-time favorite artists:
the late great Jack Kirby
Jim Lee
Todd McFarlane
Erik Larsen
Andrew (Transformers, GIJoe) Wildman
Mike (Flash, Fantastic Four) Wieringo
Geoff (Transformers) Senior
John Romita Jr
Mike Mignola
Sal (Spectacular Spider-Man) Buscema
John Byrne
Joe "Hey, look at me! I'm an editor now!" Quesada
Mark Perez
Frank Miller
Ron Lim
Jon (Superman) Bogdanove
Brett (Sleepwalker, Shadow of the Bat) Blevins
Norm (Batman) Breyfogle
the guy whose name I always forget who drew the early issues of Young Justice
the other guy whose name I forget who drew the early issues of Birds of Prey

My all-time favorite writers:
Stan Lee
Larry Hama
Chris Claremont
Simon Furman
Grant Morrison
John Byrne
Frank Miller
Peter David
Denny O'Neil
Chuck Dixon
Alan Grant
Josh Blaylock

The Overlord Returns
05-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Where the Hell are Neal Adams and Alan Moore!!!!????!!!???

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Oooh, good point. Those were definitely just oversights on my part. (Hey, I spent almost a decade completely out of comics; give me a little slack.) :rolleyes:

The Overlord Returns
05-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Good....much better ;)

(I was just kiddin with ya anyhow)

jjreason
05-27-2003, 02:22 PM
I won't bother starting another list, as you've mentioned many of my favourites, too El Chuxter. Im mainly a Marvel fan, so some of the names on your list I wouldn't include - not because they're not great, but because I haven't read/seen their work.

Neal Gaiman's writing on Sandman was wonderful, I would include him as a favourite writer, as well as Warren Ellis (who I first experienced on Excalibur oddly enough, but followed to Stormwatch then the Authority). I liked Garth Ennis' Preacher, but little else he's done. I usually enjoy stuff written by Kevin Smith (though it takes damn near forever to read his comics - wordy, wordy, wordy) and Jeph Loeb as well. Mark Waid rarely disappoints, and is handling FF quite well right now. Bruce Jones is blowing me away on Hulk right now.

The Overlord Returns
05-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Read Transmetropolitan, if you haven't already. It will most likely go down as Ellis' masterwork.

Tycho
05-27-2003, 03:29 PM
I first ONLY read Star Wars comics, and amongst the best
are:

ARTISTS:

#1 Jan Duursema! (x 20!) [her credits include Episode Two, as well as most Quinlan Vos stories, and Mace Windu's comic]

COLORS:

Dave Nestelle, who's worked with Dark Horse back to the Tales of the Jedi days.

WRITERS:

Jon Ostrander [who's credits include Quinlan Vos' stories]

Randy Stradley & Mike Richardson [Crimson Empire! - if they'd only finish Episode 3 (of Kir Kanos' tale)!]

Tom Veitch [who created Tales of the Jedi and gave life to Ulic Qel Droma!]

Kevin J. Anderson [Tales of the Jedi - like The Sith Wars and Redemption! some of Anderson's best work in all the SW he's done!]

Mike Stackpole [or didn't you know that the famous New Jedi Order and Rogue Squadron author wrote the Rogue Squadron comics as well?]

and there are more... I have to review the men and women behind Tales of the Jedi and Jedi vs. Sith to get the names of most of them. But I remember how great their work is for sure!

I am just getting started in collecting Smallville comics - my only other purchasing vice at the comic book shops.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2003, 12:38 AM
I never really kept track of many comic writers, but the artists (and one inker) stood out. They are:
John Byrne
Jack Kirby
Mike Zeck
Todd McFarlane
Walt Simonson (best comic signature)
John Romita Jr.
Neal Adams
Ken Steacy
Tim Truman
Art Adams

Writers
Louise Simonson
Stan Lee

Inker
Terry Austin

Disliked artists (sorry, gotta take the negative)
Steve Ditko (classic, but not my fave)
Mike Mignola
Cam Kennedy (blasphemy, I know)
Bill Sienkewich
Frank Miller ONLY when inked by Klaus Janson (too sketchy)

Keep in mind, my collecting ended about 10 years ago.

El Chuxter
05-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Disliked artists (sorry, gotta take the negative)
Cam Kennedy (blasphemy, I know)

How's that blasphemy? I can't stand his artwork either, if you can call it that. Combine it with the murky colors Dark Horse always paints over his stuff, and just about anything by him is practically impossible to look at.

I totally forgot both of the Simonsons also. Though I'm racking my brain to think of a better signature than Walt just so I can dispute you, I'm not coming up with anything. :p

The Overlord Returns
05-28-2003, 01:29 PM
Well Guess I should chime in.....

Writers:

Alan Moore
Garth Ennis
Warren Ellis
Grant Morrison
Mike Grell
Neil Gaiman
Frank Miller
And...the all time great....Will Eisner

Artists:

Brian Bolland
Neal Adams
Brian Hitch
Frank Quitely
Curt Swan
Jack Kirby
Dave McKean

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Artists, artists, artists....hm.....racking my brain.

Jim Lee. Of course. The man is the yardstick and the ruler.

Tom Grumman. He did that wicked "Wildebeest" story in New Titans where they all "died". Then he moved onto Superman, Superboy, and Robin.

Greg Capulo(?) who did Quasar all those years, then went over and replaced McFarlane on Spawn.

Ron Lim. This guy should be contractually obligated to do Silver Surfer until he dies. Awesome.

The guy who did the "smart Hulk" stories with the Pantheon, etc.

Bob Layton. His Iron Man is still my favorite.

Pat Lee is knockin' me dead on the new Transformers mag.

Marc Silvestri and Whilce Portacio. Former agents of the almighty X franchise. ( And Whilce kicked some serious booty on early Punisher too).

Mike Deodato, Jr.

Todd McFarlane. Personal attitude aside, this man can scribble himself some funny books.

There are soooooo many more, but I would need to plow through my 20,000+ issues to remember them.

El Chuxter
05-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
The guy who did the "smart Hulk" stories with the Pantheon, etc.

Dale Keown? The guy who was going to do Pitt, but fell into the "I'm at Image; I don't need to actually work anymore" trap that was so common about ten years back?

I like Pat Lee, but I've noticed his Transformers sometimes have a tendency to become dramatically redesigned between panels occasionally.

And I noticed you left off a certain Wild Man. Disciplinary action will be forthcoming. :mad:

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Hey, Wildman goes without saying. ;)

jjreason
05-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Dale Keown did quite a bit of Hulk during Peter David's writing tenure (another guy that can really write comics is Peter David by the way - seems he can make anything good). I believe Dale's first art on Hulk was 377, but I could be mistaken (not! :D ).

No one has mentioned Jim Starlin as a favourite. His "galactic" additions to the Marvel Universe should get him mentioned here.
Other Marvel Magnates would include Gene Colan (on Daredevil), Roy Thomas (who wrote X-Men after Stan was done with it) and John Buscema (filled in on FF for Jack the King and Spidey for John Romita Sr, and drew Silver Surfer #1, and I believe Iron Man #1 as well - quite a resume there).

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Samuel Hawbaker (?) He did Nomad for awhile, but he had deadline problems and got regulated to doing various covers for magazines. He was an excellent artist though.

SithDroid
08-21-2004, 10:15 PM
I don't have any favorite one writer that I follow, though I do like all of Neil Gaimans work. As far as artists my favorites are J. Scott Campbell, Michael Turner, and Joe Madiura. It seems like Michael Turner and Campbell are everywhere nowadays doing cover art for everyone, but I haven't seen anything from Madiura, which is a shame since I really liked Battle Chasers and I wish the series would have kept going. I got to meet Michael Turner about two years ago, he is pretty cool and he signed some of my Witchblade and Fathom comics I have.