PDA

View Full Version : MACE WINDU's stories - anyone know how he got the purple lightsaber?

Tycho
05-27-2003, 03:42 PM
I dug out Star Wars Tales # 13 again. It was an all Mace Windu issue.

I liked the story of how he got the purple lightsaber from his mission to Hurrikane and the stone peoples he met there.

The story of the warlord he took down, who first mistook him for a bounty hunter, was equally awesome.

I also like how he showed a more human side as he returned that child to Sollust, which the bounty hunter sought to extract straight out of the Jedi nursery. It gave depth to Mace to know that his real parents still sought contact with him - and probably at a time in their lives when they were very near to their deaths and just wanted one meeting with their son. They must've watched him make the news throughout their lives as a 'recognizeable relative' that must've been their boy rose up through the Jedi ranks to ascend to the High Council leadership itself. I'm sure the name Mace Windu is inter-galactically well-known by the time of the Battle for Naboo. But we see how committed and entrusting of Jedi traditions Mace really is, as he deletes the message from his parents, preferring never to reply than open that can of worms, even as he returns the young Sollustan padawan back to his natural parents.

In the time nearer the Clone Wars, the story of how he puts an arrogant Anakin in his place (yup, Anakin wants to be tested and Mace Windu FAILS him!) was a very cool read.

Meanwhile, his Clone Wars story by Jon Ostrander and Jan Duursema ranks as probably the best Clone Wars piece to date, as the famed Weequay Jedi Master turns to the Dark Side, and conspires with Ventress to kill off the Jedi who trusted him most.

Mace Windu got really interesting since his involvement in those stories, and I can't wait for his novel, SHATTERPOINT, to come into stores near me.

In any case, these stories that developed Mace Windu made him far more interesting than anything George Lucas has done. I could sense Sam Jackson trying to pour out as much into the character as he could, with as little as Lucas gave him.

I know Mace is not a 'main character,' but he almost borderlines on it, and his role in Episode 3 will be sure to be significant, too. Phantom Menace just had too many other more key characters to develop, and the Jedi Master was left to the writers' and fans' imaginations. Finally, they've done a really good job with it.

I hope Sam Jackson is as pleased as I am.