PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Race 4

Mandalorian Candidat
05-28-2003, 11:04 AM
I just found out last week that CBS is airing another edition of The Amazing Race starting this Thursday night. I never watched the first edition of the show because I thought it was just another lame reality TV show. NBC had a really horrible one called Lost that came out around the same time so I thought they were carbon copies of each other.

I was really wrong.

I think the format of the show is really interesting, although as the season progresses each episode sort of ends up as a copy of earlier ones since each has the same format. Toward the end it gets really competitive and usually the team members really get on each other's nerves. That typically makes for some good watchin'.

If you haven't seen the show I recommend trying it out. The format is 12 2-man teams are given directions to fly, drive, run, bike, etc. to different locations around the world. They usually have 2 or 3 different tasks to do in each episode like selling snails in a market or bungee jumping off of some cliff. The last team to get to the final checkpoint in an episode gets eliminated. The winning team at the very end gets $1M.

They always end up going to some really cool locations and seeing interesting stuff that I think wouldn't ever end up on any show except for the National Geographic channel.

OC47150
06-04-2003, 09:15 AM
AR is a great show. I've watched all of them. Each time, there's a standout team that's unforgettable. The first series it was two bald frat brothers/best friends, series 2 it was two NYC geeks, and last time it was a brother team.

On series 1, they visited the site used for the slave quarters in Ep. 1. The Insider did a feature on it.

The first team to lose AR4 is from my area. I'd like to have seen them go further. They were cute and fun.

Lost had potential. It was originally supposed to be a five-episode series but got abbreviated to three because of 9-11. Bravo or the Travel Channel ran all five episodes and it was better.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2003, 10:28 AM
I was really excited to watch this new season of AR but was slightly disappointed. I know that there is a lot of footage that doesn't make it on TV and that what the producers do show can influence the appearance of the contestants to the audience. That being said my impression is that practically all of them were friggin' whiners. Especially the model team and the NFL wives team.

Whine, whine, whine. It sort of bugged me.

The older married couple who were booted off at least had a good attitude. They seemed to have fun and and took their elimination well.

That being said I'm still looking forward to the rest of the series.

OC47150
06-04-2003, 11:31 AM
The models or the NFL wives will be the next to go. If it weren't for the fast forward, the NFL wives would've been gone.

Hellboy
06-06-2003, 10:45 PM
IMO this is the best reality television has to offer. I know a lot of people say that reality t.v. is trash but how many shows other than National Geographic show that much of the world and it's many cultures. I love to see how the people react under that much pressure (remember Flo) and always find myself rooting for the team that plays the most aggressive game.

I like the father son team so far this season but I missed the 2nd episode so I don't know who got kicked off last night (hopefully the models). Can anyone fill me in?

Mandalorian Candidat
06-07-2003, 01:19 AM
The losing team was the engaged couple. I can't remember their names but she has a really filthy mouth and they were one of the teams to finish first on show #1.

The NFL wives really bug me. So do the "married" guys. Talk about being a couple of jerks. What was up with them getting right in front of the door at the bus station and not letting go of the handle?

Last night's show was sort of ho hum, IMO. I was busy putting together my new Slave 1 so I didn't pay 100% attention. They stayed in Italy, mainly in Venice. They had to travel by train to Venice, find some plaza, go by gondola to another place, wait for hours outside some weird building, then match a picture to someone in a bizarre mask, then run to a boat. The two air traffic controllers took the fast forward and beat everyone by hours.

I hope it picks up next show with the departure of those whiny NFL wives.

OC47150
06-08-2003, 11:39 AM
As much as I like them, the air traffic controllers won't last too much longer because of health problems (knees). They needed the fast forward just to rest those knees.

I wish they'd quit referring to the one couple as 'virgins' every time. So they're waiting. Big deal.