PDA

View Full Version : Anybody having trouble with their "3ish" year old DVD player.

scruffziller
05-28-2003, 01:02 PM
I bought my Toshiba 2 disc DVD player in May of 2000. I have been having problems with it freezing up on me. THe DVDs are clean and I also bought a DVD lens cleaner but that doesn't seem to help a whole lot. I have been hearing that people who bought their DVD players about the same time I did are having problems with them now.

mini-rock
05-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I bought my Toshiba 2 disc DVD player in May of 2000. I have been having problems with it freezing up on me. THe DVDs are clean and I also bought a DVD lens cleaner but that doesn't seem to help a whole lot. I have been hearing that people who bought their DVD players about the same time I did are having problems with them now.

Simple, your laser lens needs to be realligned. If you have the extended warrenty it should be covered. Also the lens cleaners usually do more harm than good by knocking the lens out of allignment with repeated use. Every brand has their quirks, and this is typical of Tosh. :)

BTW, which unit is it? SD-????

Jargo
05-28-2003, 02:12 PM
I rent mine. Top notch equipment and when it's screwed I just phone up the guy and he comes and takes it away and leaves behind a better more modern one. :D cool. I aint never buying any more electronic goods like TV's and DVD players again. Too much goes wrong too quickly with all this modern equipment. They don't make them to last more than a year. It's easier to rent new stuff and just exchange the old for new.

Beast
05-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Well, if it's three years old you may also need to upgrade. The older the DVD Player model is, the more problems your going to have with newer discs. It's because the firmware that's used in the reading of discs, goes out of date as newer advances in encoding DVD's are used. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
05-28-2003, 02:29 PM
What I want to do is get one of those 400 disc ones that we have been talking about.

Check it out.

http://www1.dealtime.com/xPF-Kenwood_DV_5900M

mini-rock
05-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Good choice scruffziller. I have mine on order from the company I used to work for. :)

JJB is right too regarding the firmware. Typically if the player has trouble reading the disc it won't load the disc in the first place though, at least from my experience.:)

I would still like to know what model# it is.:)

Exhaust Port
05-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Nice but pricey.

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2003, 05:56 PM
I've got a Toshiba SD-2107U. It acts up every once in awhile by making the picture go all slanty and green. I have to stop the DVD and start it back up, then chapter skip back to where I was. Then it works fine. It's happened 3 or 4 times in the past couple of months.

bobafrett
05-29-2003, 12:49 AM
I haven't had any problems with mine yet. It's a 5 disc DVD player, a Sony DVP-C660. I bought it at Montgomery Wards a few months before they announced that they were closing. I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warranty, because they would have only given me a store credit for the amount that the extended warranty would have cost me.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-29-2003, 01:02 AM
I have a cheap-o model called Apex that I bought in Nov 2000 for $80 at Circuit City. It's worked OK, but lately it has a tough time playing some DVDs. For some reason it won't play my Lilo and Stitch right off. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with this firmware that was mentioned.

It also won't play any CDs that I burn on my laptop. Maybe it's time to get a new one.

mini-rock
05-29-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I have a cheap-o model called Apex that I bought in Nov 2000 for $80 at Circuit City. It's worked OK, but lately it has a tough time playing some DVDs. For some reason it won't play my Lilo and Stitch right off. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with this firmware that was mentioned.

That would be a firmware issue. Try loading another DVD first (when you first turn on the player) then take it out and put in the L&S DVD to see if it loads.

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
It also won't play any CDs that I burn on my laptop. Maybe it's time to get a new one.

I don't think the older Apex models are able to play CD-R/CD-RW, but all the current models show that they do. Personally though I'd go with a different brand if you plan to get a new one.:)

scruffziller
05-29-2003, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't even mess with buying a DVD player below $100.
I understand that the progressive scan feature will eliminate alot of problems that we have been having than those with out.

Ok Mini Rock here is the model number. SD-2200U

Does that Kenwood MultiDisc unit have the ability for you to choose to watch whatever side of the disc you want without physically turning it over in the carosel?

jrosen
05-30-2003, 07:47 AM
I have one the Sony 200 disk players. It's great. One of the best investment's I ever had. The quality of the picture and sound isn't the best I've heard, but the convenience of not getting up and searching for the one DVD you want to play is great. I totally recommend getting a changer if all possible. You can't flip the disk and watch either side, but I haven't seen a movie in years that come on both sides of the disk. Now they just bundle 2 disks in a package or offer a wide screen and full screen version.

scruffziller
05-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by jrosen
I have one the Sony 200 disk players. It's great. One of the best investment's I ever had. The quality of the picture and sound isn't the best I've heard, but the convenience of not getting up and searching for the one DVD you want to play is great. I totally recommend getting a changer if all possible. You can't flip the disk and watch either side, but I haven't seen a movie in years that come on both sides of the disk. Now they just bundle 2 disks in a package or offer a wide screen and full screen version.

Well sometimes they have features like deleted scenes that are on the FULL SCREEN side instead of the WIDE.

jrosen
05-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Well sometimes they have features like deleted scenes that are on the FULL SCREEN side instead of the WIDE.

How often do you watch the deleted scenes vs. watching the movie. For those very few time that you would want to flip the disk, it isn't that annoying. But, if you watch as many flicks as I do, the ease of sitting on the couch, turning on the player, and scrolling though the DVD's is much much more enjoyable then walking over to the DVD rack, search for the movie, and put it into the player.

mini-rock
05-30-2003, 04:16 PM
The Kenwod also doesn't play both sides of a DVD. You have to manually flip it like all other players. The cool thing is that the Kenwood gives you the chance to take out or put in up to 3 discs without screwing up your stored collection. So when you first watch the DVD you can watch those deleted scenes on side B then when you are done put it in it's perminent slot. I used the Kenwood for about 6 months off & on before I bought one so IMO if you have a large HDTV it would be the one to get over the Sony. I like the Sony too, just on a smaller set.:)

seth_quinn
06-01-2003, 03:18 AM
imo electronics companies are like the auto and pharmaceutical industries, they're all a just high tech pimps selling you crap that is designed to fail so that they make more money on the come-back. 5/6 years ago I bought a fairly high end vcr, right before the end of the warranty period the retailer actually called trying to get me sign on for the extended. at that point the vcr had never failed to work flawlessly so I told them to beat it. the stupid thing started acting up what must have been days after the warranty ended.

Lilo and Stitch - that has got to be the greatest kids flick ever. I lmao.

my dvd player is a pioneer dv-340, it's probably low-end pioneer but it was a birthday present from the last company I worked for so I could care less. hey, it was free.

I've heard a lot of good and bad about those apex jobs and the like. personally I think, if you really enjoy your media, buy a quality brand name. my stereo stuff is all mid-range technics. the newest piece is my 5-disk which will be 12 years old this summer. I figure based on what I paid for it, it's down to about a 1/10 of $0.01 for each disk it's played and it's only started acting up now and then over the past year. I take the air duster to all of it on a semi-regular basis and other than the bit of disk grief and replacing a few stylus cartridges, none of it has ever given me any trouble.

jjreason
06-02-2003, 07:24 AM
I would concur with your point, SQ. We buy Sony pretty much 100% of the time, usually middle of the range. Never had any problems with my: surround receiver, CD changer, Hi Fi VCR, or Cassette Deck since purchase. Well worth the money, considering paying half as much would have likely led to 3 or 4 re-purchases in the meantime. My stereo pcs are now near 10 years old. Amazing.

seth_quinn
06-02-2003, 08:05 AM
now that's interesting, sony stuff from that era would be what I've said not to buy. I have a friend that went through a mountain sony home audio before switching to technics. all the personal audio and home video as been mint but he must have gone through 3 5-disks and 3 receivers that were all built on a monday or friday.

mini-rock
06-02-2003, 10:27 AM
IMO the older Sony products were built better. The newer Sony products we get alot of returns from them being DOA right out of the box, but thats the lower end Sony stuff. The "ES" line would be a better way to go IMO. Also I have to mention that I do have a Sony DVP-S3000 DVD player from '98 that still works flawless.:)

jrosen
06-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Sony is alright. It's midrange crap. But really everything within that price range is the same quality. I wish I could afford better. I had a Pioneer DVD player and after about 2 years the power supply died. They wanted $78 plus labor to fix it. Wasn't worth the money. The Sony DVD Changer is great. I am sure it will die sometime soon, but I bought it refurbished. It saves lots of money.

Originally posted by seth_quinn
now that's interesting, sony stuff from that era would be what I've said not to buy. I have a friend that went through a mountain sony home audio before switching to technics. all the personal audio and home video as been mint but he must have gone through 3 5-disks and 3 receivers that were all built on a monday or friday.

It's funny that your friend went with technics since technics is owned by Sony. It's their cheap brand. Kind of like Old Navy and The Gap.