PDA

View Full Version : Original Movie Posters

jrosen
05-29-2003, 04:37 PM
I am an avid movie poster collector and I was wondering how many of you collect the original posters. I noticed that there is no forum for print media collectors and I thought that many people here would be interested in that.

stillakid
05-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by jrosen
I am an avid movie poster collector and I was wondering how many of you collect the original posters. I noticed that there is no forum for print media collectors and I thought that many people here would be interested in that.

I've got a few. The A poster from ANH, a couple from ESB and ROTJ including "REVENGE." Plus a few others. The most recent was the IMAX AOTC.

Honestly, I can't remember exactly what I have. Not enough room to display them all and it's been a while since I've unrolled the tube.

Jayspawn
05-30-2003, 10:09 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. I collect Star Wars movie posters, I've got quite a collection so far. As we speak, I have an ESB rerelease poster from '83 coming to me in the mail. All of mine are full size 27x40. Here's what I have soo far...

'TPM' Teaser
'TPM' Regular
'AOTC' Teaser'
'AOTC' Regular
'ANH' style A
'ANH' Special Edition
'ESB' style A
'ESB' Special Edition
'ROTJ' Special Edition

I started collecting these years ago and recently have got back into them again.

jrosen
05-30-2003, 11:03 AM
I guess I should list what I have:

American Posters

Star Wars:

Teaser B
A
C
Rerelease 1979
Rerelease 1981
Rerelease 1982
Special Edition (DS)
10th Anniversary Alvin
10th Anniversary Drew
10th Anniversary Mylar
15th Anniversary Hilldinbrand
15th Anniversary "D"

Empire Strikes Back
Teaser
A
B
1981 Rerelease
1982 Rerelease
Special Edition (DS)
10th Anniversary Mylar A
10th Anniversary Mylar B
10th Anniversary Noble Art

Return of the Jedi
Revenge Teaser
A
B
1985 Rerelease
Special Edition (DS)
10th Anniversary A
10th Anniversary B

Phantom Menace
Teaser (DS)
B (DS)

Attack of the Clones
Teaser (DS)
B (DS)
Subway - Dooku
IMAX (DS)

Foreign Releases

Star Wars:
British Quad
French A
Italian A
Japan Teaser
Japan Oscar
Japan It's Back
Spanish Teaser
Russian
Turkey
Yugoslavia

Empire Strikes Back:
Polish
Spanish

Ewoks:
International A

Return of the Jedi:
British Quad B
Polish Vader
Polish Heros
French
German (unknown because I can't read German)
Japan A
Japan B

Trilogy
Austrailian Daybill
3-in-1 British Quad
Special Edition (DS)

Soundtrack
Original Star Wars "D"
Special Edition Trilogy
Phantom Menace

Video Release
1990 Trilogy
Return of the Jedi
German THX
Swiss Phantom
American Phantom

I think that's about it. I may be missing a few minor ones.

Jayspawn
05-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Thats quite a collection jrosen. Those mylars are very impressive posters. Congratulations on having them.

jrosen
05-30-2003, 09:02 PM
The one mylar I really want I can't afford. The original Star Wars mylar teaser. One day it will be mine....hopefully.

stillakid
05-31-2003, 12:12 AM
Wow, that's impressive!

I just bought a SW mylar not too long ago, but it had been kept rolled up, so their are cracks in several places along the edges. Not quite sure how to "repair" it.

jrosen
05-31-2003, 01:07 AM
You really can't. You can try to put some archival tape on the back to help straighten out the creases, or you can go to an art gallery and have it mounted. Mounting usually makes the poster less valuable.

Check out:

http://www.bcemylar.com/index.html

They offer mylar sleeves to store your posters in. I haven't bought anything from them yet, I am in the process of figuring out a better way to store my posters. They seem really good. They basically store movie posters the same way comic book collectors store comics. I will probably by a bunch of sleeves and backings within the next few months.

Exhaust Port
05-31-2003, 01:32 PM
That is an awesome collection you have jrosen! Do you have any pictures to share?

jrosen
05-31-2003, 02:25 PM
I have pictures of all the posters. But they are not of mine. Whenever I saw a picture of one I own, I copied it. Most of the posters are in tubes. If you want to see any picture let me know and I can post it.

Jayspawn
06-01-2003, 10:34 AM
How did you come across those mylar posters jrosen? Did you hunt them all down individually? Did you pay top dollar for them? (if you don't mind my asking) and which is your favorite?

Just curious, you have so many nice ones.

jrosen
06-01-2003, 11:31 AM
I got most of my posters on Ebay. Or through some movie poster dealers. I don't like to buy from Star Wars only collectors on Ebay. I have noticed more fake posters being sold by these collectors. I think it's because they bought it and researched it and found out that they were bootlegs.

The best time to buy Star Wars posters are right now. Hype is at a minimum and one-time collectors, the people that get a giddy and buy everything Star Wars, are at a low. My favorite mylar is the Gold ESB 10th Anniversary. It's the one with Vader's head. I'll see if I can attach a photo in a minute. The ESB 10th Anniversary Mylar's don't show up that often and the prices are usually between 150-200, depending on when it's auctioned and how it's presented. I have the 10th Anniversary Star Wars silver mylar framed and hanging on my wall. It's probably my least favorite, but I bought it first. I got it awhile ago for about 125, but there are a glutten of them on Ebay right now with no buyers. I have seem them for a $50 opening bid and a $70 buy-it-now. That's a really good price.

On the other posters, the foreign ones don't come up very often. I search foreign movie poster shops on-line. I know of some really nice ones in Germany and Poland. They can get really cool unique posters. It's kinda funny, how foreign posters come to market. Sometimes you won't see one for years, and then 2 or 3 will pop up at the same time. Like the Russian poster, I was looking for one for the last 7 years, and I couldn't find any dealers with connections to Russia. Then about a month ago 4 popped up on Ebay. The first one went really high, about 300. But the other ones stayed about $100 lower. It sometimes pays to wait, but with a rare poster, it's tough. If I was home when the auction closed, I probably would have bid it up higher since I never saw one for sale before.

Also, DON'T buy a poster for Episode 3 immediately when they become available. They'll go from anywhere between 100 and 200 dollars. If you can wait a year, they'll drop like a rock. Currently Episode 1 DS teasers and Episode 2 DS teasers are selling for roughly $25. When they first came out, I was stupid and bought an Episode 1 teaser for around $200. So many people wanted them, that $200 was a reasonable price. But many of them were in it for the money thinking that the posters were going to increase in value and now everybody that collects them has one and everyone that was it in for the money is trying desperately to get something for it.

If you want any suggestions or information on Ebayer's I don't trust, let me know. Otherwise, it's a fun hobby, but it can get very expensive. Also remember, a poster can be restored and linen-backed for $75 or less. This can make a poster that was in poor condition almost mint. Collectors do not look down on restoration like they would on an action figure. It's because poster's are not printed on archival or acid free paper and restoration is the only way to save and protect them. For this cost, you can find a poor quality poster and make it perfect and save lots of money.

Good Luck.

jrosen
06-01-2003, 11:38 AM
My favorite mylar is the Gold ESB 10th Anniversary. It's the one with Vader's head.

jrosen
06-01-2003, 11:40 AM
My favorite of any poster I own is a three way tie between the Star Wars Italian, Star Wars Russian, and Star Wars Polish Vader.

jrosen
06-01-2003, 11:41 AM
My favorite of any poster I own is a three way tie between the Star Wars Italian, Star Wars Russian, and Star Wars Polish Vader.

jrosen
06-01-2003, 11:42 AM
Here is the ROTJ Polish Vader.

Jayspawn
06-02-2003, 12:28 AM
That Russian Star Wars poster doen't look very Star Wars at all. I really like the Polish ROTJ Vader poster.

jrosen
06-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
That Russian Star Wars poster doen't look very Star Wars at all. I really like the Polish ROTJ Vader poster.

I know. That's why I like it. Some of the foreign posters were given creative license over the image. So they can be very different from the other movie posters. Check out the Polish Empire. Other then the actors names, you can't tell that it's for ESB.

Exhaust Port
06-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Those are absolutely bizarre. Thanks for sharing, I never knew the differences out there.