PDA

View Full Version : The Doctor is OUT. (The Incredible Hulk comic thread)

Eternal Padawan
05-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Picked up INCREDIBLE HULK 54 on account of jjreason's enthusiastic blurbing. Fantastic art. The story was spartan, but basically it was a slugfest between Bruce and a beautifully rendered Abomination, so what can you expect.

But now I'm confused. Because Betty is dead (or in a coma)? And General Ross is alive again? And it doesn't matter whether Bruce is big and green or not, he still has Hulk strength? But apparently it does matter to somebody because they want Hulk blood ( for what purpose isn't explained)? And some guy dies in a car explosion and another chick is shot (except it's not her) over a DVD (Been there.)? I feel like I haven't read this book in seven years ( oh wait, I haven't...)

I went back through my trusty comic log. I have every issue from... 183(OH C'MON... 183?!? What are the odds I was two issues shy of Wovie's 1st appearance?) up until 427. Give or take an issue. (211,218,224,226, 295, 334) 334? What happened there? Then I guess 432 and 436 had cool covers or something because I have those too. But durned if I can remember what happened towards the end ( other than Jim Wilson dying of AIDS. Powerful issue)

Anyway. Apparently they dropped "The" when they restarted the book. That's very popular at Marvel these days. Same thing happened with New Mutants last week.

So when did the 1st series stop? And what's up with Bruce these days? And will this book be headed in a different direction once the movie comes out?

Let's talk gamma radiated behemoths, shall we?

jjreason
05-30-2003, 02:00 AM
Okay, let's see what I can do for you here EP. BTW, wasn't "The doctor is out." just perfect???? My jaw dropped, THEN hulk bashes the Abomination so hard his head apparently comes apart, THEN he throws the carcas up to destroy a helicopter??? That was a super-Hulk smackdown deluxe, for sure.

Vol 1 ended with #474, finished off by Joe Casey (methinks) who took over for the last few issues after Peter David left.

John Byrne started Vol 2 as the writer, with art by Ron Garney. I read until I missed issue 8 (featuring Wolverine, of course) which was distributed poorly and didn't get to my city - let alone my store. 10 American dollars, and quite a few months, later I had my #8. Too bad I didn't ever try to catch up on reading this title.

#34 was the issue that got me started again. Great cover, Romita Jr art, and a fresh place to jump on got me going. Bruce is on the lam after a young boy dies (purportedly) resultant from a Hulk rampage. A secret agency needs Hulk blood to use for it's R and D - Im a little sketchy here on exactly what they want to use it for, but Bruce blood is no good.

For quite a few issues, the book reads like the fugitive with much Bruce and little to no Hulk action. He's got a laptop that keeps tipping him off as to where his pursuers are, but we don't get to see who's doing the tipping. It stays quite mysterious as to who's behind it or what they're after.

I need to re-read 49 to see exactly what happens that allows Brucie to be super strong, I think he gets shot by a "Hulk gun" developed by the company to take down big green so that they can pull the blood. We haven't seen much of Betty and Thunderbolt, so I don't know where they're at in terms of alive or dead. Doc Sampson shows up briefly, but doesn't serve a memorable purpose (at least not memorable to me), and neither does that lady cop ex-hostage negotiator, though it did at the time. She may have been the mother of the boy who was killed - or lost a boy the same age.... I've never been one of those guys that can read a book once, then 3 years later spout the story by page, as you guys seemingly can with TF. I rarely if ever read a book more than once, and so much of it is in one ear and out the other. The Romita issues made such a nice juxtaposition with his JSM Amazing issues, I'd read them one after the other just to see how different inks and colour can alter the appearance of one great artists breakdowns. Both books looked (and still look) fantastic. I love the current "washed out" look on Hulk.

Hulk has risen from the ashes to being one of the 3 or 4 books I read every month without fail. Batman, Amazing, Hulk, Astro City, FF and not too much else I will read as soon as I get them home. The rest go in piles to be read once the current story is complete.

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Picked up a few more back issues. My comic shop is cool because he just opened in the last six months to a year, and he just leaves his back issues out behind the new ones, so you go grab like a year's worth of funny books at cover price. I snagged 43 and 44 of the Hulk the other day, but 45-53 are waiting when I scrounge the cash. And his binned issues are pretty cheap, too. Compared to the old place I used to go, they would bag and board the previous month's issue and jack the price up a buck. Sometimes more if it was a hot comic like X-Men.

Still a bit confused about who or what this secret conspiracy is and exactly why they want the Hulk's blood. Is the head of the conspiracy going to be Banner's father? ( I don't know where THAT came from, I just thought I'd toss it out there...) is any explanation given to who's on the other end of the laptop? Apparently Bruce and "Mr. Blue" have the only two and they encrypted to each other.

Is there any connection between the end of 33 and the beginning of 34? Did the Hulk go on the rampage that killed the little boy between issues or what? And who's the sexy bimbo in Banner's dreams? I'm guessing the "door" is the one that the Hulk's "psyche" is trapped in. I guess I'll find out. But it's gonna cost me some cheddar...

jjreason
06-05-2003, 03:33 PM
EP - we found out the female agent was at the other end of the laptop in 54, I believe. Her motive? Unknown. I missed a lot of Hulk leading up to 34, so Im not sure if they were going on about the secret group before that or not. Im guessing not, as it was a pretty clean jumping on point.

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2003, 04:27 PM
S3 ( or S2, I get them confused) is Mr. Blue? Is this the same chick that got "shot" at the end of the latest issue? And is she also the chick in the underwear that killed the guy at the end of 49 to get the DVD?

YOU SUCK jj. :mad: Now I have to go find all of these and read them. :mad:

;)

jjreason
06-05-2003, 11:09 PM
It's a good suck, though, right? Come on....... :cry: :D

34 may be a little pricey, Im not sure if that one's kicking around anywhere or not. Good luck, the TPB of the first few should be around if you need a quick hook up.

Eternal Padawan
06-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Yeah. I went and found #34 at the comic shop. $24 they wanted for it! But I'm pretty sure 34-43 are collected in a TPB or two. Instead I picked up 45-49 and 51-53 today. So I'm gonna read 'em straight through and maybe get a handle on this intriguing story.

I wonder what effect the movie will have on the series. Movie Hulk fans will want a a jumping on point and will find this byzantine epic waiting for them.

jjreason
06-07-2003, 02:17 AM
Im thinking they're going to reinvent things again after 54. Time for new readers to jump on fresh from the movie, I can see Hulk being a little more accessible for the next few issues. I wonder, will a 25c issue be in the works? It worked for the other 2 movie titles, why not Hulk?

Eternal Padawan
06-07-2003, 08:42 AM
What's with Bruce Banner:chick magnet? First he has the hot chicka who HIT HIM with the car all over him in lingeree and she doesn't even know him, then he's got Nadia doffing her clothes at the drop of a hat AND serving him breakfast in nothing but an apron. Not to mention the bartender chick who spends more panels OUT of her shirt than in it and the Pratt insisting the regenerating mom to strip...this comic is just Bruce Jones' monthly bra and undies fetish disguised as the Incredible Hulk comic.

Eternal Padawan
06-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey, you called it with the 25 cent issue, jj. After a splendid run by Immonen, then a jaw-dropping run by Deodato, this issues art left me....feh. And the Secret Conspiracy/Mr Blue substory was really getting me excited and now we've got this Absorbing Man crap. With all these new characters.

DO something JJ! :mad: Make it like it was before! :cry:

jjreason
06-13-2003, 11:35 PM
I wasn't too hot on this either, EP. I'd like to be able to push the magic button, but Im gonna ride this out. Let's hope it's dealt with this month so we can get back to the mystery type stuff. I never did care for the Absorbing Man. Puppet Master - now there's a villain!

Eternal Padawan
06-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Does the Vault exist anymore? Every time we see one of the Hulk's old foes, he's in a different hi-tech confinement bunker in a different underground base. First Abomination, now Absorbing Man. That has to get expensive building all these bunkers for all these different villains.

Once again, I was unimpressed with Fernandez's artwork. They better get somebody else after this arc or I'm outta here.

jjreason
07-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Just read 56 last night, and the story was a little more interesting this issue. I think it'll finish all right, but I too need a new artist pretty soon. Deodato really wasn't a fair act to follow for anyone - those issues were incredible - but Romita Jr. was good on the first few issues Bruce Jones did, and there are many other artists out there who I'd prefer to Fernandez. No offence, it's just not my favourite. I think the colouring has changed a little too - it worked better before. I found out that I'm missing issue 45 from that last long run leading up to the Abomination Confrontation in 54, so Im on the lookout for that book right now, as well as 13, 15 and 25 from this volume. Probably going to have to resort to ebay as soon as I can find one seller moving all of these issues.

Eternal Padawan
07-16-2003, 09:04 PM
I'm thinking that Crusher Creel will permanently embody Dr. David Zahn's body after his body is destroyed in a battle royale with the Hulk. Zhan vaguely resembles the Absorbing Man from the film ( you know...a beard.) and his name is David ( like the guy in the film.) so I think this is some sort of attempt to squeeze the movie into regular continuity ( Sort of like the God Loves, Man Kills storyline over in X-Men where Reverand Stryker and Lady Deathstrike are all hanging out and stuff. Or how Bullseye is now sporting a scar on his forehead like Colin Farell over in Daredevil.)

And I don't really care. I'm just praying for this story arc to be over quickly. i'm actually kicking myself for buying the last few issues when I know they'll suck.

At least Deodato's art popped up on the latest issue of Amazing Spidey.

jjreason
07-17-2003, 11:11 PM
I read part 3 of hide in plain site. I like the story, it's picked up a little. The art still has me "meh" at best, but I like the Absorbing Man. I just never realized he was the "Criminal Genius" type until this story line (I'm pretty sure that's because he WASN'T that type until this story line).

I also just got a package in the mail with a few "historical" Hulk issues, the complete John Byrne run from 314 to 319. I'll read 'em up tonight and post a little review. They're supposed to be pretty good, according to the Hulk-focused Wizard issue of a month ago.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Hey, i browsed these posts and i ddin't see anythinga bout my question, so sorry if it has been answered.

Have either of you read, "Hulk:the End?" I've been meaningto get this, but i'm curious, is this the LAST of the last Hulk comics??? I read somewhere that Hulk was kinda killed off and then reborn (i see the annual i think it is with the Hulk on the cover, lifting up his title, grey cover background) but i'm curious to know what the dilly is.

any help would rule. thanks y'all! :D

jjreason
07-22-2003, 03:42 AM
I've never even heard of this JMG, but Im doing a little research as I type.....but there's nothing in Wizard. Is it a Trade Paperback (reprints of older issues?). Maybe give me a link to it and I can let you know more about what's going on in there. As far as I know, there have never been any plans to do away with Green Jeans - anything you've seen or read otherwise would be a "What IF?" type deal, and would be outside regular Marvel continuity from what I can tell.

The latest book I can see in my mind's eye with him hoisting the logo is vol. 2 #34, the first Bruce Jones issue in this latest run. That might be a trade paperback of his first few issues (with John Romita Jr. art - great comics there), and would be worth the read in my opinion. I'm curious though, so give me as much info as you can get.

jpak001
07-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Hey JMG, I saw "Hulk: The End" at Frank-n-Sons. I was already tapped out so I couldn't get it (plus he wanted $20 for it, seemed pretty steep)

They guy selling it told me it was set after the two issue "future imperfect" deluxe series, and basicaly was the ending story for the hulk.

There's a few on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2184125003&category=32757

Hope this helps bud!

jjreason
07-25-2003, 02:20 AM
Interesting..... Future Imperfect is about the Hulk facing off with himself in the future - an evil old Hulk called "the Maestro". It was written by Peter David, and is still kind of a "What If" deal, I wouldn't include it in main continuity yet. That being said, Im sure it's worth a read......

NEWS: On the Hulk front, famed penciller extraordinaire Mike Deodato Jr. will be taking over at #60 for a 5 issue run delving more into "the conspiracy"...... what more could we ask for?????? :cool:

jpak001
07-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Hey JJ, future imperfect was a really cool story. Great artwork too, I would reccomend it if you haven't read it. It's not your typical Hulk story, that's for sure!

jjreason
07-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Yeah, Im actually considering just buying the TPB of this, the original issues are tough to find, and I can only ever find #2. Maybe I'll browse ebay, but Im not going to pay too much. I'll get there eventually - I always do..... :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-31-2003, 03:00 AM
Alright, i went out to buy some Hulk comics this last weekend and now i'm seriously lost. I know there is the original Incredible Hulk series, but i found some trade paperbacks w/ the Hulk. LIke "Hulk: The Best Returns" i believe wast he name and the one where Abomination runs amok, but i noticed it said on the back of each one, "Collecting Incredible Hulk 38-44" or something like that. Now, yeah, i realize that this is a trade p-back that contains those issues, but i'm just curious as to when this all started. Aka: i assume that the Hulk was revamped and started again at an incredible Hulk #1 and now runs into the stuff i saw today. I'm just curious to see if that idea is right and i can get some older trade paperbacks that have the first oh, 30 issues and then i can get into the Beast returns and his quarrel w/ Abomination. Any help would rule! thanks y'all! :D

jjreason
07-31-2003, 03:21 AM
Okee dokee, let's see here.

Hulk appeared in 1962 with Hulk 1-6. Those issues could be found in a Marvel Masterpieces hardcover (to the tune of 30-40 bucks) or maybe an Essential Hulk softcover in black and white for a lot less.

His series was cancelled for no apparent reason at that point, and he drifted aimlessly through other Marvel titles (most notably the Avengers, where he was a team member for all of 1 issue) and the FF (where he slugged it out with the Thing on occasion).

Eventually, his staying power was realized, and he was awarded a monthly stint in Tales to Astonish, starting with issue 60 (after his set-up guest appearance in issue 59). These books he split with the Sub Mariner, until both got their own series in the early part of 1968 (Incredible Hulk continuing with the TTA numbering, actually started again with issue 102).

Next issue of note 180, 181, 182 - a long battle with the Wendigo monster in the Canadian wilderness...and the first Marvel appearances of Wolverine.

This volume continued up until 474.

They relaunched the book right away, Marvel "Hall of Fame" writer/artist John Byrne started off in "so so" fashion. The book kind of lulled (not counting the fan flipping tastic 8th issue, featuring a tussle with Wolvie) until issue 34 (the debut of current writer Bruce Jones). Jones has written the book since, and has been helped out by stellar art from John Romita Jr. and Mike Deodato. Lately, it's been a little odd, but things are looking up for issue 60.

So, what would I read? Try to find the essential Hulk book. Should be cheap, and should include a big chunk of historical stuff. Not like you don't get the jist already, but it's nice to know where you've been.

I'd also highly recommend the TPB that starts with issue 34, going that route would get you caught up to the current issues pretty quick (there may be 3 TPB's by now that encompass 34-54 which are really great).

Good luck, glad to see the movie sparked someone's interest......

Eternal Padawan
07-31-2003, 09:30 AM
I'd also highly recommend the TPB that starts with issue 34, going that route would get you caught up to the current issues pretty quick (there may be 3 TPB's by now that encompass 34-54 which are really great).

The First TPB 'Return of the Monster' encompasses 34-39.
Then the next TPB collects 40-44.
The newest one collects 50-54 ( the SWEET Abombination story)

So you'd have to rustle up 45-49 to get the whole story.

Skip the "hide in plain sight" Absorbing Man story in 55-59. It eats in the Art dept. and has nothing to do with the cool Conspiracy storyline that's been running through all the books since Bruce Jones started writing.

Older stories that you might like:

Joe Fixit. After the McFarlane Issues, (where they blow up an entire southwest town with a Gamma Bomb) the Hulk dissappears and the comic continuity jumped forward like a year. It turns out the Hulk is gray again, living in Las Vegas, and working for a mobster as his main enforcer: A big lug named Joe Fixit.

The Pantheon storyline. Bruce finally reconciles all his multiple personalities with some therapy. The result is a 10' tall Hulk with Banner's brillaint scientist mind, and a little of Fixit's attitude thrown in. The only catch is he's permanently stuck in Hulk mode ( so no nookie for Betty). He hooks up with a super group known as the Pantheon ( with names like Achilles, Paris, Hector, and Agamemnon) and they set out to solve the word's problems, like rousting third world dictators. Killer Dale Keown art.

jpak001
07-31-2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, aside from the current moody Bruce Jones storylines, I would have to say those Peter David/Dale Keown issues were my favorites. I really liked that "Speedfreak" villan (think that's what his name was). And like EP said, Keowns artwork was the shiz!!

The current storylines seem to be more on the suspense/thriller side, the "Return of the Monster" TPB is a great read!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Ok, first off, thanks for your help, everybody!! I wasn't sure which book was worth it and whatnot. I just hate it when comics have a dozen different spin offs. LIke the X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, blah blah blah blah. and spider-man?!?! Woah, stop right there, Marvel!! If i have to follow around another lame clone plot through 20572057205702 different books, i'm going to go postal!! :crazed: That's one of the reasons i stopped collecting comics for a while, too much crap that was started in one series and then kicked into another and yadda yadda. The only book i pick up now is Ultimate Spider-Man. :D

anyway, ok, so here is what i found on the "essential Hulk" books, these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-9237441-0280810

I might get those, but from reading various stuff on the net and whatnot, i think i can wait. It just shows a lot of stuff i'm already familiar with (Abombination, Thunderbolt Ross, etc). So, if i were to pick up the 3 TPB's (along with 44-49) and skip the Absorbing Man story, i'll be set to pick up issue 60 (coming out when?!!) and be good to go?

Again, thanks for everybody's help. I've been a fan of the Hulk since i was kid (hell, who wasn't?!!) and read the comics from time to time and ALWAYS watched the show. Granted, it didn't have much in it, but still, it's still awesome to watch. cheers!! :D

El Chuxter
08-01-2003, 10:54 AM
If you can find them, I enjoyed the early issues of the current series (the John Byrne issues). They had more of a "Hulk TV show" feel to them, which personally I preferred to the comic.

Also, Future Imperfect may be the best Hulk story ever, and it is considered canonical. I especially like a twist at the end I won't spoil. :p

As for getting me up to speed and clarifying a few points for myself:

1) What happened with Bruce's fatal/debilitating disease (I forget which one it was) and the "Devil Hulk" from the early issues of this run.

2) How did "Smart Hulk" cease to be, and does he still survive as a personality somewhere in Bruce's psyche?

3) Is Fixit still alive? (I'd like to think he's laying low in Bruce's subconsciousness and is going to come back with a vengeance at some point.)

3) Do I have my "Hulk scorecard" right?
Bruce Banner
Green Hulk
Savage Hulk (physically identical to Green Hulk, but a mindless engine of destruction. . . IIRC, his re-emergence was what had been prophesied to bring about Smart Hulk's downfall)
"Joe Fixit"
Smart Hulk
Devil Hulk (possibly brought about by Bruce's disease?)
Maestro (like Smart Hulk, but without Bruce's morals?)
a gazillion incompletely formed Hulk personas that lack the strength to surface in the physical realm

jpak001
08-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Wish I could help... But I stopped reading around the end of Keowns run, and just started up again with the new TPB's.

I'm in the dark on most of that stuff, didn't even know a Devile Hulk existed!

jjreason
08-02-2003, 01:07 AM
And Im not much help either. I stopped with the current series after missing issue 8... which I filled in some time ago. I should continue on from there and read 9-33, some of those questions may be answered. Im still missing 25 (an Abomination story, of course, so it'll cost me 15 bucks to fill in). Once I finish off the run, I'll read them all at once and let you know what I find out.

jjreason
08-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Finished Hulk 59, not too bad an ending to this storyline (which I though wasn't going anywhere). Still not a big fan of Crusher Creel being a friggin' Rhodes Scholar but that's neither here nor there. I liked the resolution and the little peekabo at the end. Twisty. On to bigger and better, next issue is Deodato back in the saddle - hang on.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-18-2003, 01:14 AM
Yo yo!! I finished the TPB of "Hulk: Return of the Monster" and was very impressed. I was about to post and be like, "Alright, what in the hell is going on here?!?!" but everything came out in the end and made sense!!! I hope to pick up the next TPB and some issues this week along w/ Ultimate spidey 44 if my damned shop ever gets more in. Thanks for the recommendations guys!! None of you owe me $$ for crappy suggestions........................yet hehehehehehehe :crazed:

jjreason
08-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Keep reading man, you HAVE to read #54 - my vote as the greatest comic of this young century so far. No rush, but I expect MAD props when you read it and have no choice but to crap your ripped up purple pants!

El Chuxter
08-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Keep reading man, you HAVE to read #54 - my vote as the greatest comic of this young century so far. No rush, but I expect MAD props when you read it and have no choice but to crap your ripped up purple pants!

Would you go so far as to say it tops Batman #617, or did that one just slip your mind? :p

jjreason
08-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Well there's the rub, huh. I loved Batman 617, but I still feel like Im "just visiting" Batman or something. For people who've been reading since 83 or whenever the fans whacked Jason Im sure it was a huge book. To me, the Hulk flipping out and mashing Abomination's face, saying "the Doctor is OUT" and then throwing him up to destroy a helicopter was more climactic - I literally was floored by those 3 pages.

So for me (and just for me, Im sure) Hulk wins, though it was pretty damned close. Im pretty much a 100% Marvel Geek, like you can't tell.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-19-2003, 09:43 PM
JJR- Don't give away plot and climatic parts on your posts!!! Guldarnit!! :crazed:

Going to pick up two TPB's tomorrow, "Boiling Point" and "Transfer of Power" which i was told cover issues 40-49.

Got Ult spidey 44 and browsed it, very very good so far. Aunt May has quite the temper!!! Seeing the X-Men was nice too...hehehhehe :D

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Y'know, I was gonna go back and pick up all the new Wolverine books and possibly start collecting it, but I just found out Leandro Fernandez is going to be sucking it up after Darick leaves, so now I think maybe I won't.

It's a neck and neck race to see which artist sucks more, Leandro or Humberto Ramos.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-27-2003, 12:58 AM
"I suppose this is what i'm supposed to say....HULK SMASH!!"

Was in Chicago this past weekend and picked up the 3 TPB filling in 40-54. I also spotted some of the older figures from the official Hulk line including Leader, Rampaging Hulk and Joe Fixit, but held off since i plan to pick up the better ones in the winter. Anyway, all these books truely rocked the casbah. I got hella giddy when he did that Hulk smash comment and i was like "Oh, i get it!" when he did the "The Doctor is OUT!" in 54. thanks for the recommendations, guys!! So, should i skip the 55-59 (I think eternal padawan said it sucked), but i'm not sure and i wanna be sure. If up to 59 sucks, is issue 60 out yet? if so, yeah, what issues are out now in the Hulk comics? :D

on a side note, i talked to a guy at the comic book shop i hit and he said "Hulk: End" is a truely huge pain in the rear to get. I hit ebay and got a copy for a decent price (less than 20) and should be getting it in the mail here shortly. I'll post a brief review when i read it. Thanks again! :P

jjreason
08-27-2003, 02:20 AM
Jeez, looking back at this thread I REALLY shouldn't have posted that. Sorry JMG, hope you still got a kick out of it :sheepish:. I haven't seen 60 yet, but I didn't hate the Absorbing Man run nearly as much as EP, and I kind of got used to the art by the end. Art is borderline meaningless to me anyway - unless it's amazingly good or terrible, and I thought neither this guy (nor Ramos - EP is a tough crowd for sure) was either one of those options. Look at one next time you're in the store and decide for yourself, but I don't think it will be a "necessary" arc like the issues since 34 were. Im betting 60 will be as well, so get ready.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-31-2003, 03:25 AM
*WARNING: THIS POST WILL CONTAIN A FEW TIDBITS ON THE HULK FEATURE FILM, SO IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET AND WANNA BE SURPRISED, PLEASE SKIP THIS POST. THANK YOU*

Was in columbus this weekend and picked up issues 55-59, aka: "Hide in Plain Sight" and i must say, i enjoyed the series very much. Granted, the art wasn't as good as the previous issues, but still, it was good to see them taking a slight break from the previous storyline. It was also nifty after seeing Absorbing man in the movie, to see him on the page as well. Yeah, i know that his identity was changed for the movie, but it was still really cool for me to see him doing his thing in the comic. That last scene where he absorbed, became? the graveyard and whatnot was good and how they beat him was also very clever.

Also, got my copy of "Hulk: end" and plan to read it before i go to bed in a bit, so expect a review whenever i roll my lazy can out of bed tomorrow/today. Cheers! :D

P.S.- no worries JJR, the issue was still stellar. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-01-2003, 01:06 AM
K, i am finished w/ "Hulk: End" and i must say, if you are a fan of the Hulk, get off your keister and pick up this book using ANY means necessary. Well, use your best judgement, but this book is downright magical. It is by far a superb use of creating the struggle between the conscious of Banner and the Hulk. I won't post any huge plot details, but the title says a good deal about it, but it's really kinda sad to see Banner and the Hulk in a world that is just eaten itself alive. GREAT read. That's it, i have spoken!! Now, get get this book!! hehehehehhe :crazed:

jjreason
09-19-2003, 01:46 AM
Finally bought and read #60 - ahhhhhhhhhh. Relief. Back into the old comfortable mold of recent Hulk books.... not a Hulk in sight!!!! :D Totally a set up issue, but I think this arc should finalize a few things we've been wondering about for the past 2 years. Interesting about the laptops not working, Im pretty keen on seeing who's behind this whole thing.

jjreason
03-22-2004, 05:45 PM
I just read the last 3 issues of Incredible Hulk, and figured dusting off this old thread would be a good way to celebrate. 66, 67 and 68 are the first 3 parts of this latest Bruce Jones arc named "Dead Like Me" which is dealing with more than a few of the revelations of the destruction of Home Base (well at least Home Base's Base, if not Home Base itself/themselves).

Im still very happy with Jones' writing - he's now responsible for more than half of this latest volume of Hulk comics. The art, now being done by Braithwaite (not sure of his first name) is working fine, and is in keeping with the mood set by John Romita Jr. and fully realized by Mike Deodato. The last part of this story will be a Hulk vs Hulk mixup between Dr. Banner and the newly appearing Hulk form of the Banner clone. The premise is that Doc Sampson, Betty, and Nadia Blonsky - all waiting for Bruce to come back once he's killed the clone - won't know which Banner returns from the fight as they don't know the Clone had the ability to transform.

I personally can't believe Marvel gave the go-ahead to a Hulk Clone storyline after the abysmal fan opinion of the Spider Clone Saga, but we're at that point nonetheless. I hope this squares itself away next issue; not that the story's bad or anything, but there's absolutely no need for a second Hulk to be running around the MU - unless they're going to turn him into a second Abomination to replace the Blonsky that apparently got killed back in #54). That might work.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Hey, this thread has been revived!! I wasn't sure what to think about Betty coming back as Jones said, "Betty's dead" but i guess he decided to mix things up a bit. I'm enjoying this arc w/ the whole sort of love triangle mix up. I liked at the end of the one issue in this series when the last page was a frame of Bruce holding Nadia and Doc holding betty; that was awesome.

Alot of folks over at the Hulk Movie boards loathe Jones and awaiting his departure; i'm quite fond of him though i do wish this ENTIRE Home Base thing would wrap up. Hopefully, we'll see that happen with this series. It should be sweet to see what happens with these two Hulks! cheers! :D

El Chuxter
03-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Maybe one will become Maestro! :)

Eternal Padawan
03-24-2004, 06:33 PM
I personally don't think Emil bit the bucket (was that a mixed metaphor? Like kicked the dust?) Abomination is too cool to go out like that. Although a fist through the face and then body minced up by helicopter blades before said coptor explodes ranks a least an 8 on the cool death-o-meter. But anyway, just picked up the final issue of the Hulk Clone storyline by Jones and DOUGIE Braithwaite. Wrapped it up nice and tidy, with Bruce out on his own again. I coould almost hear the piano riff from the TV show as Bruce headed down the road alone in the final splash page.

PS, Doc Samson should join SHIELD so hes can have a decent bodysuit/jumper instead of his uber-homo red shirt with a yellow lightning bolt. I'm sure Nick Fury needs someone to head up an as yet unformed Hulk task force. Samson's the man. All useless Marvel secondary characters should find themselves working for SHIELD. Silver Sable and her Wild Pack? Luke Cage? Iron Fist? Jessica Drew? Misty Knight and that other one armed chick (or was Misty the one armed chick?) See what I mean? Give these people something to do other than clog up Marvel Handbook...

Also read the final issue of Hulk:Gray. Basically it sucked and made me not want to read either Spider-Man: Blue, or Daredevil: Yellow. Ironically, the series was kind of a send off to Betty like Blue was for Gwen Stacy and Yellow was for Karen Page, but in the intervening six months since Gray #1 came out, Betty is back with us in the regular comic. Which makes the entire thing moot AND sucky at the same time.