PDA

View Full Version : no thread title can express my dismay . . .

2-1B
05-30-2003, 12:39 AM
What the hell is up with eBay ? :mad:

I just got home from work and checked my Yahoo email account which I check every few days . . .

Well I'll be damned if there isn't a confirmation email from eBay about some sort of digital work studio ? ? ? I allegedly have 3 available starting at $2,399 each.

I am at a loss as to what I should do . . . I have 2 email inquiries from people interested in the product.

HUH ? :confused:

I'm freaking out because if eBay has my credit card on file, they might try to charge me listing fees. I don't even know what they charge but I bet it's a fair sum if it's a percent of 2400 dollars ! ! ! :eek:

Have you heard of anything like this ever happening ? Jeez, I thought about cancelling the auction but that might be interpreted as my having knowledge of the sale . . . holy crap . . .

:(

The auction started about 10 hours ago and when I click on "My eBay" it does NOT have the auction listed but it does have my current purchases listed. :(

I am completely floored right now. :( :( :(

2-1B
05-30-2003, 12:55 AM
:rolleyes: sure enough, here are the charges:

Listing fees
Insertion fee: $3.30
Featured category: $9.97
Photo: $0.30
Highlight: $2.50
Listing Designer: $0.10
Gallery: $0.25

Total fees: $16.42

I dug through the Help links, it instructs users to end a listing if they did not list it. So that's what I did. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now I just need to get these charges credited . . . :cry:

bobafrett
05-30-2003, 01:19 AM
That sounds really screwed up. I had to e-mail eBay about a seller who was dragging their feet on getting me the item I won, but never had anything like the situation you have.

2-1B
05-30-2003, 01:29 AM
Get this, I checked my Yahoo mail info to change my password and I noticed some of my saved folders have been deleted :cry: and my outgoing name changed to "Lopez Sales" . . . and when I enter my inbox instead of saying "Hello Anthony!" it says "Hello Juan!"

It's weird, Yahoo will let me open the folders and such but when I tried to change the outgoing name it won't take my password. :cry:

Right now I'm going through my bank, credit card, and student loan websites to make sure there is no mischief there.

If this is limited to eBay / Yahoo then I'm gonna be alright because there is no final sale through eBay and I hardly use Yahoo mail anymore . . .

:cry: :cry: :cry:

derek
05-30-2003, 01:34 AM
hey, i was bidding on those auctions!!!:D :crazed:

bobafrett
05-30-2003, 01:37 AM
This is what scares me about using the internet. It has become a convenient way to transact business and get items that you wanted, but normally don't find, but there is always someone up to no good, and it leaves one feeling vunerable.

And I thought I was having problems because my CD Rom only plays certain recorded CD's.

stillakid
05-30-2003, 01:43 AM
Gosh darned hackers! :mad: I say string these wastes of human flesh up in the town square and humiliate them until they cry like little girls. When we stop treating crime like it's just an inconvenience, maybe these a holes will scurry back into their rat nests and stay there.

I'm sure you have, but contact Ebay right away. Then contact the FBI. They may be able to track this guy down and put a stop to his nefarious plans.:frus:

jrosen
05-30-2003, 08:52 AM
You're lucky that they didn't change your e-mail address. In this week's issue of Fortune there is a big article on e-bay fraud. Usually people will look for high good feedback accounts that haven't been used lately. They'll hack the password and put up bogus auctions. You won't get an e-mail that the auctions are up and people will lose money on them. The best thing to do is to change your password immediately, contact any bidders and explain, and then contact Ebay. Ebay is tough to get a hold of, but they'll respond in your favor.

James Boba Fettfield
05-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Those crazy Lopez's.

2-1B
05-30-2003, 11:21 AM
Well that was quick !
eBay got back to me within 8 hours, they put in a request to credit those fees. :) I'm so glad I don't have my credit card on file with them, the hacker(s) could have swiped it from my account page. ;)

As for Yahoo, I've found that if you unsuccessfully try repeated attempts to login then they temporarily lock the account - so for the next few weeks I am going to make it a twice daily routine of attempting to login to keep anyone from using it. :mad:

I rarely use that account anymore, so once I've notified all of my contacts that it's a dead account then I should have nothing to worry about. It will just be another random name on the web. :D

jrosen, I am amazed that they didn't change my eBay email address . . . indeed that would make matters worse.

mabudonicus
05-30-2003, 12:45 PM
I got confirmation (2, in fact) of some "items added to an auction YOU are bidding on" a couple weeks ago, and funny thing is, I don't even have an account there, or a credit card, or anything!!!
It kinda freaked me out, especially since I had visited there recently and looked at items (heroclix, actually) in the same genre as the ones I was supposed to have been bidding on... REAL weird, but again, I have no "e-money" to lift, but reading Caesars story, it makes me wonder... my e-mail is at Yahoo too.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......

El Chuxter
05-30-2003, 01:11 PM
That really sucks. Not to be cute, but no amount of really can express it. :(:mad:

Rest assured that a spunky mutant girl dressed as Robin and equipped with big green foam Hulk gloves has been dispatched to deal with these cretins. :D

Kidhuman
05-30-2003, 04:47 PM
Caesar if you scroll through Ebay you can find a link to talk to a rep live. I did it last week. It is on-line but they can help. I don't remember how I got there, being the maze that it is to find anything onthat site for customer service. But it is there like buried treasure.

Vortex
05-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

As for Yahoo, I've found that if you unsuccessfully try repeated attempts to login then they temporarily lock the account - so for the next few weeks I am going to make it a twice daily routine of attempting to login to keep anyone from using it. :mad:

I rarely use that account anymore, so once I've notified all of my contacts that it's a dead account then I should have nothing to worry about. It will just be another random name on the web. :D

Big C,

Let your yahoo account lay dormant for a month. They close e-mail account if you don't log in for a month.

I lost my back up, junk account I use for websites that harbor the spammers and adds, when you download stuff...like media players, freeware, and patches for games, etc.

I use a bogus name, address, etc and let the junk pile up there...no muss no fuss.

I think if you jump through enough yahoo hoops you can get some one to close the account for you too.

But best of luck to ya on that. Sounded like quite the mess.

I've only had on-line problems with companies over seas in GB and Germany that charge me for good they don't ship, or double charge me for things on back order. I've learned just to contact the credit card companies and let them do the dirty work. Just refuse payment for lack of services rendered, fill out their forms, and let them do the tracking down and contacting. Print out all your e-mail messages, since they have a date on them, get message receipts printed up and contact them 3 or more times asking them to fix the problem and if they don't after a week, go the credit card companies and sick them on the rat bastards.

But good luck.

Kidhuman
05-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2534511842&category=15199

I didn't see you ended it, sorry

2-1B
05-30-2003, 10:41 PM
This is good news, I just checked eBay and they already credited my account ! :happy:

No kidhuman, that's not the same auction. :)

tjovonovich - I know what you mean about letting the Yahoo account lay dormant, the problem is that I can't even log in. I tried using the prompts to get a new password, it just won't match up the info . . . frankly, I don't care about losing that particular account. I don't use it for normal correspondence and I've contacted all of my friends / family about this. So I have no specific use for that account, I'm just ticked off about losing some important saved emails. :cry: I was able to enter the account for a little while last night before the password session was "timed out" and I noticed all of my emails were gone.
Screw it, I'm finished with that account. :D The hacker can keep it. ;)

I would like to thank SSG for this place to vent and cyber-curl into a fetal position while I worked through this. It has certainly been an experience ! :crazed: Thanks to everyone here for their comments (except for derek and Jaymz :D ) and thanks to LTBasker and QL-LIMP-D for holding my hand via AIM. ;)

Kidhuman
05-30-2003, 10:57 PM
good to hear they are on top of it and gredited you quickly. I saw the first post and replied without reading the middle.