PDA

View Full Version : Good Cover Songs

Kidhuman
05-31-2003, 10:44 AM
Now a days alot of bands have resorted to covering older songs.
What are some that stand out in your opinion?

I like:
Life of Agony: Don't you forget about me
The Ataris: Boys of summer
P.O.T. USA: Video Killed The Radio Star
GNR: Live and Let Die
Primus: Have a Cigar

bobafrett
05-31-2003, 01:04 PM
Johnny Cash: Hurt
Linda Ronstadt: Desperado

Sorry, I'll find some more up to date stuff, my brain isn't awake yet.

Exhaust Port
05-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman

Life of Agony: Don't you forget about me

This is the first song I thought of. I love this cover.

Metallica: Am I Evil?

...I'm drawing a blank now. argh.

Kidhuman
05-31-2003, 02:19 PM
I also like Pearl Jams master of War cover from the Bob Dylan tribute. STP also did a good cover of Zepplin's Dancin' Days.

James Boba Fettfield
05-31-2003, 02:34 PM
I like when Metallica covered Seger's Turn The Page

EricRG
05-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Camper Van Beethoven - Pictures of Matchstick Men is one of the best covers of all time. Absolutely crushes Ozzy's version. They also do a mean version of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk.

Tori Amos did a great version of Smells like teen Spirit on the Crucify single. Also a good version of Zeppelin's Thank You there.

Phish did an incredible job of covering the Beatles ENTIRE White Album on Halloween in 1994.

Jane's Addiction's cover of the Dead's Ripple on Deadication is awesome as well.

On the other hand, IMO, one of the all-time WORST covers would have to be Metallica's take on Whiskey in the Jar. Poor selection that just sounds terrible and eerily out of place.

Darth Jax
05-31-2003, 07:11 PM
RHCP - higher ground
Cake - i will survive
Ike & Tina Turner - proud mary
Shonen Knife - top of the world

Metallica does lots of covers, i prefer stone cold crazy.

CloneTrooperMace
05-31-2003, 07:53 PM
HHHMMMMMMM.....50 cents " who's your pimp".....Dam I don't know.

Rogue II
05-31-2003, 09:54 PM
Metallica's version of Stone Cold Crazy is great.
David Lee Roth's "California Girls"
Robert Plant sang "Crazy little thing called love" on the Wayne's World 2 soundtrack.
Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" is my vote for the best cover ever. Even Bob Dylan said it was better than his version.

Kidhuman
05-31-2003, 11:36 PM
True, I forget that it is a Dylan song. Hendrix ruled that one. A real funny cover is Mr. Bungles Hit me baby One more Time. I never laughed so hard.

seth_quinn
06-01-2003, 02:00 AM
oh yes, now this is a thread I can get into. I Love! covers.

just off the top of my head:

the Cure - Purple Haze
the Cure - Hello I Love You
NIN - Dead Souls
NIN - Get Down, Make Love
Marilyn Manson - You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record)
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
Marilyn Manson(1) - Highway To Hell
U2 - All Along The Watch Tower
Love Spit Love - How Soon Is Now? (2)
Pop Will Eat Itself - Games Without Frontiers
the Wonder Stuff - That's Entertainment (Miles way out wails Morrisssey on this one imo)
Oasis - My Generation (encore closer from their last tour)
Revolting C*cks - D'ya Think I'm Sexy (3)
Termnial 46 - Night Of The Living Baseheads (4)
the Smashing Pumpkins - Never Let Me Down Again (5)
Placebo - Twentith Century Boy
Class Of '99 - Another Brick In The Wall
Orgy - Blue Monday
Candy Flip - Strawberry Fields Forever
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Roller Coaster Of Love

(1) - they should keep going with the covers, they've all been better than their own songs over the last two albums.
(2) - the louder you play it, the better it sounds.
(3) - love the KY filled disk packaging.
(4) - from this synthcore [read: blaring electronic noise] album called Operation BeatBox that's all these great old school tracks redone by a bunch of bands that makes every commercially successful "hardcore" group look like pathetic sissies. some good, some... not so much.
(5) - that whole ...for the masses disk, for every track that got treated with the respect it deserses there's another one that got just slaughtered - mostly my faves too.

I'm a little burnt out on it right now, but Renegades... by Rage is pretty good too.

already mentioned's: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (to bad they sound more like the Ray Hot Sugar Peppers these days)
& Cake's - I Will Survive are alright as well

never really got on board with Biskit's Faith, Cash's Hurt and that Closer cover from a few years ago.

... hmm, that's all I can think of right now but I know I've got and will remember more. doesn't Catherine Wheel do a really good version of something?

Sentinel18725
06-01-2003, 03:23 AM
Ahhhh....

Pearl Jam-Rockin in the Free world (bootleg CD)
Janes Addiction-Sympothy for the Devil
Billy Idol-don't you forget about me
Red Hot Chili Peppers-Higher Ground
Faith No More-Easy
Johnny Cash-Hurt

That's all I can think of right now.

Darth Jax
06-01-2003, 12:49 PM
originally posted by seth_quinn
the Smashing Pumpkins - Never Let Me Down Again

myself i prefer the version of tainted love by shades apart. much prefer the pumpkins version of landslide to the newer dixie chicks cover

few others i've thought of:
i only want to be with you - twiggy & twiggy
come on eileen - save ferris
things i used to do - g. love and special sauce

pretty much the entire clash tribute album is ok. mack 10 does an interesting version of should i stay or should i go.

seth_quinn
06-01-2003, 01:17 PM
something to check out: http://www.inthe80s.com/covers/

lots of listings with a few surprises. good fun

is "Roller Coaster..." a cover? I thought it was for some reason but the gf thinks not.

Darth Jax
06-01-2003, 06:44 PM
RHCP coaster was originally done by ohio players.

2-1B
06-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Robert Plant sang "Crazy little thing called love" on the Wayne's World 2 soundtrack.

He did "Louie Louie" on that disc. :)

Originally posted by seth_quinn
Marilyn Manson - You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record)

Did he do that song, too ? Are you talking about Orgy's big cover hit ? :confused:

I actually liked that one, I thought he would ruin it but it's pretty cool. :cool:

Marilyn Manson(1) - Highway To Hell

Ugh, he absolutely BUTCHERED that song. I despise this version. :dead:

Originally posted by Sentinel18725
Faith No More-Easy

You're damn right ! :happy:

Kidhuman
06-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Sentinel18725
Faith No More-Easy

Originally posted by Caesar
[B]You're damn right ! :happy:

How did I forget that one? One of the best out there.

seth_quinn
06-01-2003, 08:55 PM
thanks Dax, I knew that was a cover, shoulda made a bet with her.

Caesar - yup, pm me your email and I'll send it to you.
Orgy's big cover hit was New Order's Blue Monday.
I usually like Manson covers right away, but to be honest I don't have a copy of that one (h2h) and haven't heard it for quite a while so you may be right.

Reject_Kid
06-01-2003, 09:00 PM
the BEST cover songs are
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da by No Doubt (not on any of their CD's I had to download it at Kazaa)
and The Boys of Summer by The Ataris (off of their So Long Astoria album)

2-1B
06-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Caesar - yup, pm me your email and I'll send it to you.
Orgy's big cover hit was New Order's Blue Monday.
I usually like Manson covers right away, but to be honest I don't have a copy of that one (h2h) and haven't heard it for quite a while so you may be right.

Ahhhhh yes, I was indeed thinking of Blue Monday. My bad ! :D

I have that Highway to Hell cover on the Detroit Rock City soundtrack - I'm not a Manson fan to begin with, so I like very little of his stuff. I LOVE the original AC/DC version and the Manson approach just does nothing for me.

But anyway, what is it about those crazy 80s tunes that lend themselves to contemporary metal covers ? :D

Here's a fun cover I discovered several years ago - Black Sabbath doing "Blue Suede Shoes." I bought an import CD with a TV version of Ozzy and the band doing it in between their first and second albums. :)

dr_evazan22
06-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
much prefer the pumpkins version of landslide to the newer dixie chicks cover

Dixie chicks version sounds like a group of off key howling banshees.

Not trying to mention songs already listed:

Also from Deadicated-
Los Lobos- Bertha
Indigo Girls- Uncle John's band
Lyle Lovett- Friend of the Devil

I think it was Tom Jones that did Prince's Kiss

U2 did covers of the Stones "Paint It Black" and CCR's "Fortunate Son"

JediTricks
06-02-2003, 02:05 AM
Not exactly a cover since Lemmy co-wrote the song, but Motorhead's version of Hellraiser. Not to belittle the Ozzy version, but Lemmy's kicks its booty!

Aerosmith's version of the Beatles' Come Together is pretty great.

Anthrax's version of Public Enemy's Bring the Noise is not so shabby either.

The aforementioned Roller Coaster by the Red Hot Chili Peppers off the Beavis & Butt-head Do America soundtrack is really tight.

Originally posted by dr_evazan22
I think it was Tom Jones that did Prince's Kiss It is Tom Jones, the song that saved his career supposedly - he was so broke at the time that he couldn't afford his partial dentures. Oh, and I think technically that version is Prince's band New Power Generation "with Tom Jones" or something equally insulting to Tom Jones. ;)

seth_quinn
06-02-2003, 02:56 AM
C - yeah, if you're not a Manson fan to begin with I can easily see how any and all of his covers would quicly be detested.

if you have that soundtrack ripped to mp3, would you mind emailing it to me? pm me and I'll send you the e-ddress.

where I grew up it was all jocks and metalheads, niether of which appealed to me, so I got into "harder, new music" (for lack of a better term) and now that all that music has become watered down and mainstream (imo), I find myself going back and discovering all that amazing classic rock stuff. I think I prefer it this way, it's like being a modern-era history buff in it's own way.

yup, most of those 80's songs date themselves pretty badly but seem to have that solid core that is perfect for remakes.

anybody know of a solid "Viva Las Vegas" cover?

Kidhuman
06-02-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Aerosmith's version of the Beatles' Come Together is pretty great.

Anthrax's version of Public Enemy's Bring the Noise is not so shabby either.

I much prefer Soundgardens version of Come together.

As for Aerosmith, the Run DMC version of Walk this way kicks butt.

James Boba Fettfield
06-02-2003, 10:46 AM
I forgot some other ones I really like so here they go:

Megadeth covering No More Mr. Nice Guy
Megadeth covering These Boots, which I think is the best version of the song ever.
Metallica covering Commando

I'll think of more later.

Darth Jax
06-02-2003, 12:25 PM
originally posted by seth_quinn

zz top does a version of viva las vegas.

if you like their music, you won't mind the cover. but if you don't like the bearded gents from texas, the cover won't do much for ya.

megadeth does a decent version of paranoid as well.

overkill sped up frankenstein (edgar winter's group instrumental) some.

Patient Zero
06-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Did he do that song, too ? Are you talking about Orgy's big cover hit ? :confused:

You mean New Order's Blue Monday. :)

The Overlord Returns
06-02-2003, 01:17 PM

The Dead Kennedy's do a great cover of "VLV" , and it can be found on the "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" soundtrack.

As for covers, here are a few that people might enjoy:

1. Travis doing "Hit me baby one more time": The sheer absurdity of this hilarious acoustic cover not withstanding (the band do it live and can often be heard laughing throughout) it is also fascinating to see how even the most horrible of pop songs can be made listenable by a good band. I'd suggest downloading this, as you cannot find it on an album.

2. Radiohead covering "Rhinestone Cowboy": Again, it's a download, which the band itself supports fully. Radiohead covering any song is great, but this one is a lot of fun.

3. Radiohead covering "Nobody does it better": Just a damn cool version of this classic bond tune. Yorkes vocals are a surprisingly good match to the song.

seth_quinn
06-02-2003, 03:29 PM
yeah, not a big Top fan but thanks anyway Dax.

TOR - you get the prize, I knew I'd heard it somewhere, my gf hates that movie to the point where I won't even mention it for fear of hearing the rant again so I'd've never thought to look for it there. (I'd've - that's just so wrong but we all say it don't we?)

on the topic of the Kennedy's, I personally don't care for it, but the Disposable Heroes... do a cover of California Uber Alles. interesting choice I think, considering how outspoken they where and the fact that, that album was released on Jello's label. some might accuse them of a little hipocrisy of their own and puckering up to the rosebud.

I hate to ask again but I really am a cover junkie, anybody have the Fear &... soundtrack on mp3 that could possible email me the VLV cover? pm me for the e-ddress.