PDA

View Full Version : original posters from 1977 & 1980

canadajohn
06-01-2003, 12:28 AM
hello folks, I am new here but I thought this would be a place for advice. I found a Star Wars Style 'C' poster in pretty good condition for a dollar today. It is not a repro. There was also an Empire Strikes Back Advance poster with a big Darth Vader head, and it says 'coming to a galaxy near you this summer' across the bottom. Also one dollar. There are no thumbtack holes, but there are small stains from poster putty. The star wars one has about 7" of wrinkles along one edge.
Does anybody know if I should linen back them? Would that be a good investment? The big question, what are they worth? Thanks.

jjreason
06-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Well that's a great find, Canadajohn! I think they'd be worth more than 2 bucks, so I'd pick them up if I were you. How linenbacking effects the worth, I have no clue.

What linenbacking is, exactly, I have no clue. Sounds cool though.

If you don't get help here, ask in the "Selling" or "Trading" sections of the forums, you may find a US buyer willing to pay in those super US dollars. Good luck.

seth_quinn
06-01-2003, 01:24 PM
hi CanadaJohn, welcome!

hmm, tricky question you're asking there. I really only collect stuff from the 3.75 line but at a buck each I'm pretty sure I'd buy them. again, I don't know much about this linen backing, I just buy cheap frames from ikea and cycle my posters through them (I've got more posters than wall space) depending on where those putty marks and the wrinkle(s) are, both could be covered up with matte board.

as for your big question, if you're looking at them for a turn around and make a buck off them stand point, I'd do some searches on ebay for active and completed auctions as a guide. however, if you're looking at them from a personal view point, the question is, what are they worth to you? (a 1981 bmw 328i is maybe only worth a couple of grand to me at best, my gf would probably sell one of her kidneys and then some to own one again) at 2 bucks I don't think you can go wrong either way, you've likely already lost that much in change down the back of the sofa this week.

I myself was recently reminded that if this is my hobby do it for the fun of it. I bought a toy fair darth vader on ebay that has a crease in the card, as soon as the auction ended I was posting the pics of it asking if I was stupid and got ripped off. I paid about $150Can for it, mint cards go for about $150US. it's now in a star case in a glass front cabinet and unless someone takes it out and looks hard, they'll never know. (unlikely, save for a privileged few, (actually, at this point that would just be you jjr) everybody else knows not to touch anything that's in the open, let alone anything behind the glass. :D) I got so wrapped up in the need to have it that I forgot why I wanted it and the way I normally collect. I only buy what I like, ok yes, that is almost everything, but I set my price for things and wait until I find them for that price. have I spent way more on my collection then what I could possible sell it for? probably. do I care? not really.

when I first started posting here, I immediately had a bad experience with a few "elite-ists". I hope I'm not coming off as one of those guys 'cause I most certainly am not. there's another tread in this forum titled "Hello, I'm a Star Wars Collector...." I keep meaning to post in it, you should too. we all love it when a new Canuck arrives on the scene.

canadajohn
06-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Well I was 8 when Star Wars came out in '77. I wanted to be Luke Skywalker so bad!! We played Star Wars at recess every day for months.
I looked at this poster and it is a really old reproduction. So yes I am officially an idiot. Linen backing BTW is when they glue a poster to cloth so it won't rip.
So that solves the problem of how to sell it. I just won't. Now for the problem of where my wife will let me put it...
thanks gang

seth_quinn
06-01-2003, 01:57 PM
the fact that it's old and/or a reproduction doesn't matter one bit as long as You enjoy looking at it everyday, and thus will never make you an idiot. paying a wad of cash for something just so you can make yourself feel superior over others does. (speaking generally, not specifically) :D

jjreason
06-01-2003, 06:35 PM
I love getting stuff like that - one of my favourite gags is to get something really big, and put it in a place of prominence in the house my wife will just hate...works every time! The last time I pulled it off, I put my Bowen Punisher Sculpture beside 2 Royal Daulton figurines my mom gave Jodi, with his MP5 pointed right at one's head!!!! She loved it! :D

seth_quinn
06-02-2003, 01:15 AM
oh jjr, you kill me. there have been quite a few post lately that have just let me rotflmao. it was that last pm that started it, priceless.

anyway, the real reason (love the puns you know) was to pass on this to CanadaJohn, I came by it by chance and thought you might be interested.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19585&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

later boys...

gambitguru
04-07-2004, 02:59 PM
i would like a poster does any1 have some?