PDA

View Full Version : Low Flow Shower Issues

Exhaust Port
06-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Tell me I'm not the only one suffering through this problem. 2 days ago the apartment maintenance installed a new shower head for some reason. The old one was fine albeit a bit crusty from the hard water. We'll I jumped in the shower yesterday to discover to my shock that I now have a low-flow show head.

A moment of silence for my departed friend..... :cry: :cry:

Does anyone else have these? How do you take a shower? I feel like I'm standing under a leaky faucet. My old shower head would pummel you with a nice stream of water that would quickly remove any soap or dirt. My new shower head makes a quick shower a thing of the past as I have to plead with the water to remove any soap.

I've delayed it as long as I can today, I must subject myself to another low-flow shower. :(

Kidhuman
06-01-2003, 11:55 AM
I hate low flow shower heads. I need high water pressure. My wife has really long thick hair so one of those are out of the question. I suggest that maybe head to Wally World and pick up your own shower head and install that bad boy. My condolences on your departed shower head.

Darth Jax
06-01-2003, 12:52 PM
the seinfeld episode on the low-flow shower heads was hilarious.
i feel for ya, nothing makes a shower more disappointing than not having adequate water pressure.

Exhaust Port
06-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks for your simpathies. :)

I guess you answered a question I forgot to ask, do they still make full flow shower heads? Since they do, I will be replacing this sucker as soon as I can. My first thought was that low-flow shower heads were like their toilet counterparts and the full-flow versions weren't made any more. It's a relief to know that I was mistaken.

2-1B
06-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Darth Jax is quite right - if only Kramer and Newman lived nearby. ;)

DarthChuckMc
06-01-2003, 04:59 PM
But when you use low flow, you're helping to save the environment by conserving water.

Peeshaw............. Give me my Fire Hydrant Strength shower head NOW!!

InsaneJediGirl
06-01-2003, 08:16 PM
High-Flow shower heads are the only way to go!Having thick hair,it really helps get the water down into the scalp.I've used a low-flow head..really cruddy.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-01-2003, 08:30 PM
The shower i use here at OU is ridiculous when it comes to water pressure. Granted, at times i get burned, but i have a high tolerance for pain, even if its scolding water to my head that makes me say a curse word or seven and pound my fist on the wall. The one at home is like somebody is spitting on my head, so crappy. I'll miss the showers here, they could knock a midget over with their pressure. :D

Exhaust Port
06-01-2003, 09:02 PM
I swear I'm using more water with a low flow than I would with the high-flow shower. You're all correct about the hair thing. I don't have particularly long hair but even so it seems to take for ever to get all the shampoo out. I'm in their twice as long to do the same job.

This also carries over to those damn low-flow toilets. You're not saving water with those either as you have to flush twice or more. When I move out of this apartment someday I'm stealing the high-flow toilet. It's a great machine. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I do sympathize for ya, but just a little bit. About a year and a half ago, a new shower head was installed in our bathroom; one that allowed you to change the different settings of the water flow--from high-powered fireman's hose to just a soft trickle. I started off on the high-powered setting but found out that it just felt too harsh on my skin. I then switched over to the gentle setting and now taking a shower is like nirvana. My skin also has improved a bit (I suffer from excezma) for some inexplicable reason so I am very happy now.

Also low flush toilets do save water, especially when you tap a kidney, which if you are like me, several times a day (although you do have to flush a lot more when you are egesting).

EricRG
06-02-2003, 02:20 AM
Yeah, I may consider meself an environmentalist of sorts, but I would NEVER move into a place with any of the following: a)crack dealers on the corner b)mice or c)a low flow!

Darth Jax
06-02-2003, 12:32 PM
originally posted by LBC
My skin also has improved a bit (I suffer from excezma) for some inexplicable reason so I am very happy now.

for those with eczema, the drier the skin remains the better off you are. in severe cases even avoiding the shower altogether and having a sponge bath is better. another thing to avoid is steroid cremes, cortisone can make it worse.

mabudonicus
06-02-2003, 12:34 PM
I have a problem with the unadvertised pressure changes that poor, ancient plumbing provides..... I'm not sure how it works, but sometimes the pressure in the building overall will barely be enough to make the water fall out of the head... then it'll come right back up and you can't even get in close enough to turn it off.... it's related to the main in the neighborhood, since it happens when the building is empty even... if I flush the toilet the problem is even worse.... gotta plan showertimes carefully in these parts:)!!

Porcelina
06-02-2003, 04:17 PM
i once worked at the savoy hotel in london (very swanky), and apparently (they told us) they have some shower heads that have the most powerful pressure possible (yes, i like p words)... when we went on a tour of the hotel, they turned one on so we could see and touch (only with our hands, of course, there was no disrobing going on)... it was pretty darn sweet, actually... and you could manipulate the flow in tons of ways, to find the perfect feel... aahh.... goygious

:D

derek
06-02-2003, 04:29 PM
everybody listen up.......cause i have the answers to all your low flow shower problems. just like those big green foam hulk gloves make things all better, there is nothing a cordless drill can't fix, when it comes to a shower head.

1. take the shower head off. most just unscrew by hand, and then will unscrew into two pieces.

2. you'll most likely see either very small holes for the water to come out of the nozzle, or some kind of plastic ring with very small holes in it. your goal with the drill is to ream those holes out to the desired size, most likely just a little bigger than they are now.
bigger holes=more water flow.

3. if you still don't have enough water, repeat step #2 with a bigger drill bit!:crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
06-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Just use a garden hose and go outside. You fancy city people with your indoor plumbing.

InsaneJediGirl
06-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Just use a garden hose and go outside. You fancy city people with your indoor plumbing.

Better yet,take a bar of soap and stand outside when a hurricane is going on.Gets you squeaky clean in minutes :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
for those with eczema, the drier the skin remains the better off you are. in severe cases even avoiding the shower altogether and having a sponge bath is better. another thing to avoid is steroid cremes, cortisone can make it worse.

During the summertime, I usually get severe excezma on my hands (in the winter it completely goes away). The heat has adverse effects on my skin. Right now, I have little patches on my hand. Hopefully if I avoid washing my hands all the time, I can keep it at bay. At times it gets so severe, that I have to take roids in order to clear it up. :eek:

Plus you are right on when you talk about getting them wet and how that makes it worse. That is why when I shower, I cover my hand with a washcloth and in extreme cases, a rubber kitchen glove. Also, my area has hard water, and that is really bad for eczema. If I had more scrilla, I would but a water treatment system, and get soft water. :)

scruffziller
06-04-2003, 11:55 AM
I have problems with the water not heating up fast enough.
Like that Seinfeld ep, "you can turn it on and go shopping, come back, and you are ready."