PDA

View Full Version : re-rerelease ??

xboywonder
11-19-2001, 09:12 AM
has anyone heard this ??

Recent rumors suggest that George Lucas has actually shot additional footage to be added into the original STAR WARS trilogy again.

According to the E! cable channel, this new footage will be added, once again, to STAR WARS, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI with plams for future re-releases. The cabler reports that these Special Edtions of Special Editions will hit theaters "some time in the middle of this decade."

E! also reports that Lucas has finished writing EPISODE III, which seems unlikely given his yen for tinkering.

Rollo Tomassi
11-19-2001, 10:17 AM
The rumor was that after all the movies were out on DVD, he was going to release a super "Archival Set" of the Saga with added scenes shot during the Prequel trilogy. For example, shots of Bail Organa on Alderaan when it blows up, etc...

So far, none of this has been substantiated by Lucas.

Lucas has started pre production on certain scenes for episode III, production design and such. he hasn't actually written dialogue and everything, but he has ideas about how he wants some of the major scenes in the movie to play (Obi Wan vs Anakin etc) so he's got everybody working on those while he writes III and Edits II.

xboywonder
11-19-2001, 01:16 PM
Wow... it's really cool how you know what George Lucas is thinking.

Anyway... this rumor came from Cinescape and it leans towards a re-release of the classic trilogoy in the theater again. ??

With even more added scenes...

El Chuxter
11-19-2001, 03:22 PM
Bad news. If the story at http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=13146 is to be believed (and it seems to be quoting a more reliable source than the last time this was reported--namely Lucas himself by way of E! news tonight), then we will get Special Special Super Duper Whatever Ya Wanna Call 'Em Editions:

Here's a complete description of what was on E! news tonight.
The next TV guide issue features a special interview with George.

Here are some quotes from the show:

"The movie will be darker than Episode 1. Episode 3 will be darker still. Episode three will be darker still."

"Episode three, I believe, is written... and some shots have already been filmed for episode three."

"Lucas reports that he shot additional scenes for the original films."

"They will be used to insert into the first three movies to sort of make the complete version of the Star Wars story, some time in the middle of this decade."

I just hope the Bail scenes in ANH that were rumored don't materialize. And that Lucas will take a hint from his buddy Spielberg and release the original versions of the CT on DVD!

JediTricks
11-20-2001, 08:49 AM
You know what? I was bothered by many of the Special Editions additions, it was like cloning Leonardo Di Vinci today, and have him take the Mona Lisa and change her to be a blonde. If this rumor of even MORE changes to shoehorn the prequels into the classic trilogy, that would seem to me like clone-Di Vinci deciding the Mona Lisa's smile needed teeth.

Rollo Tomassi
11-20-2001, 09:52 AM
Originally farted out of the mouth by xboywonder
Wow... it's really cool how you know what George Lucas is thinking.

"The beginning of September we will begin working on conceptual designs for Episode III - Certain sequences George has in mind that haven't been written down yet." -Rick McCallum

-Taken from Star Wars Insider #57 pg. 13

Look it up if you want, Chump.

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 10:55 AM
I more than a little apprehensive about the addition of even more stuff to the OT. I know that I would appreciate a DVD release of the non-SE OT; but I'm beginning to think that won't happen. Looks like I'll have to shell out for some of those pirate OT DVDs I've seen on ebay.:Pirate:

I think Lucas is thinking about how the saga will be viewed by future generations after the release of EP3, but he's leaving the fans, who put him where he is in the first place, out in the cold.

Wolfwood319
11-20-2001, 11:43 AM
Lucas can add all he wants to any film in the series, and I'll watch it too, probably. But I also have 2 copies of the OT that aren't SE, and those will always be superior to any SE that comes out.

It would be nice though that after EIII, the OT gets re-re-rereleased in theatres, just so we can see them on the big screen again.

Fixer
11-20-2001, 11:58 AM
I'm ambivalent about these Super-Special Editions. I'd really like it if Lucas would stop screwing with my favorite movies. However, I confess I'd love to see Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in ESB, instead of the evil monkey-eyed lady.

In fact, I remeber reading several years ago, I think just prior to Ep1's release, that someone at ILM was working on the Vader/Ben duel from ANH. What they were doing, and if that is related to this current rumor, remains to be seen.

Lucas has been saying for quite some time that he envisions showing all six movies, in sequence, in the theater when the last one is done. Whether or not he pulls this off, who knows.

I too am hopefull that we will see the OT, as originally released, on the future DVDs. I think that there may be a decent chance for this happening, despite GL's past insistance that the SEs ( or now the S-SEs) are the only versions that will ever be released.

And those Ebay DVDs? I bought a set, and they're not any better than the source VHS. The only good thing is that I can watch'em on my laptop. Now if someone puts the LaserDisc versions on DVD, that might be a bootleg worth buying.

xboywonder
11-27-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally stated by Rollo Tomassi

Look it up if you want, Chump.

I really like how you spell Chump...
But trying to speak for George Lucas as if you know what he is thinking, when actually you read it in the Insider is just uncalled for.

C'mon... I'm sure there are kids reading this message board.
do you want the kids to think you have some kinda voodoo mind link with George Lucas.

I mean haven't the kids been through enough with that whole Jar Jar thing.... in fact haven't we all....

Shame on you.

stillakid
11-27-2001, 11:05 AM
I'm telling you now, I'll predict exactly what he'll do: Because of the huge mess that he's causing with continuity (Midichlorians channeling the Force, Qui Gon taking over Obi Wan's plot points, etc), Lucas knows that to save face and bridge the obvious holes, he'll have to add dialogue to the soundtrack and CG in new footage that includes references to these things.

For example: (ANH)

Luke: The Force?
Old Ben: The Force is what gives the Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, binds the galaxy together. Oh, and one more thing: you have to have plenty of Midichlorian's in your bloodstream to make it work. Here, let's test your blood out.

Old Ben pulls an ancient Midichlorian counter from his cloak and pricks Luke's skin to draw a blood sample. All the while, Old Ben knows full well that Luke has plenty because Luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the Darkside, who himself is choke full of Midichlorians. But he can't tell Luke that, even though the audience knows the truth because of the lame-a s s montage sequence at the end of Episode III showing Anakin becoming Darth Vader rendering the surprise revelations in ESB and ROTJ completely useless.

Or what about: (from ROTJ)

Luke: My father?
Obi Wan Kenobi (dead): When I first knew your father, I heard from this other guy, Qui Gon Ginn, that he was already a great pilot, but I heard, from Qui Gonn Ginn, that he was amazed at how strongly the Force was with him. That other guy, Qui Gonn Ginn, took it upon himself to train Anakin as a Jedi while I sat around waiting for him to get run-through. Once that happened, I decided to continue teaching Anakin everything that I knew so that I'd have something to do. Of course, I screwed up and as everyone else saw in Episode III in that lame-a s s montage sequence, Anakin became Darth Vader, thus destroying the surprise revelation by Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back and what I'm telling you now.

:crazed:

Wolfwood319
11-27-2001, 01:00 PM
I seriously doubt GL would change the dialogue to "fit new continuity" as you say. Besides, a lot of the actors are dead, or too old, or something.

Although if he reads these boards, he might do it just for you stillakid, everyone knows how much you love midichloreans.:D

xboywonder
11-27-2001, 03:01 PM
I think GL will do exactly as stillakid has stated, or something close to... I mean the Original Trilogy is great as is, yet GL thinks that new stuff needs to be added every few years... and I guess the Phantom Menace is perfect ??

As I watched it on TV acouple of nights ago... I remembered all the lame dialogue and poor acting... and the dissapointment of 99 came rushing back. I really hope that AOTC will redeem my faith in George Lucas's ability to tell a story.

GNT
11-29-2001, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by xboywonder
The cabler reports that these Special Edtions of Special Editions will hit theaters "some time in the middle of this decade."

Could it be the year 2007,the 30 anniversary of ANH?

Rollo Tomassi
11-29-2001, 09:20 AM
Original brainfart by xboywonder
I think GL will do exactly as stillakid has stated, or something close to...

WOW! :eek: You know what George is thinking?!?:eek: That's amazing!:rolleyes: You should go on television with your incredible mind powers!!!:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

stillakid
11-29-2001, 09:56 AM
I have no idea what he's thinking. Never met the guy, never talked to him on the phone.

However, it is not out of the question to look at someone's actions and extrapolate likely future decisions. Mr. Lucas has already proven the desire and ability to alter previous versions of Star Wars films, including The Phantom Menace.

That, coupled with other ancillary evidence, such as his unwillingness to release the Original Trilogy on DVD thus far plus his altering of the basic storyline naturally leads logical thinking people to conclude that he will continue the pattern of editing "completed" material.

You don't have to be a mind reader to figure out something so basic. All it takes is the willingness to set aside hero worship and look at a situation as a whole to see it as it really is. If more people did that with everything in their lives, the world would be a better place.:crazed:

JEDIpartner
11-29-2001, 11:32 AM
I suppose if he means that he will show the Emperor disbanding the Imperial Senate or that Ian will play the Emperor in ESB... that will be fine. I don't think I would want to see too much more done to the films. Oh, and fix Jabba in ANH- would ya?

I think the films have been altered enough and Ben could just be "concealing the truth", so to speak.

El Chuxter
11-29-2001, 12:15 PM
I don't mind Ultimate Editions or Archive Editions or whatever he wants to call them--which I don't doubt after reading the article in TV Guide. But I don't want them to be the only way to view the saga.

So far we have the following versions of the films that I know of:
ANH:
"The Rough Cut"
Original 1977 theatrical release
1979 (80?) re-release, with "Episode IV" added and Beru re-dubbed
1997 Special Edition

TPM:
Original 1999 theatrical release
Alternate 1999 theatrical release (less gory ending for Darth Maul, apparently hit screens by mistake in a few theaters)
2000 VHS release (some minor changes when the Council lands in Theed)
2001 DVD Special Edition

ESB and ROTJ, so far as I know, only have the originals and the Special Editions. I'm not sure if there were further changes to the Special Editions for the VHS release.

So what I want to know--how hard would it be to get all the versions (including future changes) on one DVD or 2-DVD set per movie? :)

stillakid
11-29-2001, 01:09 PM
With any luck, by the time GL has finished and released Ep's II and III, and re-edits IV, V, and VI, and gives Ep I and once-over just to be sure, the technology will exist to implant a chip in our brains for 24 hour instant access viewing of whatever version we'd like to see. :crazed:

Truth be told, though, like I've said, I don't see any realistic possiblity of ever seeing the Classic original cuts of IV, V, and VI or the Special Editions on DVD. The most likely scenario will be Extra Spiffy Special Editions that plug the holes and "smooth out" the saga. Precedence has shown us that this will probably happen.

Whether they all end up on a single DVD or something is up to the developing technology, though it looks like it could happen. The last I heard was the development of a blue laser that could read and write much smaller digital information on a disc that is constructed in layers. If that comes to fruition, they could easily put the entire Lucasfilm library (including every entire version) on one disc and then some. It'd be pricey, but think of all the shelf space you'd get back!

Wolfwood319
11-29-2001, 01:24 PM
I believe that is what Spielberg is doing witht the upcoming DVD version of the film E.T. On the DVD you can watch the new special edition or the original version on the same disc. Let's hope that GL takes a hint from his buddy.

I also think that if the demand is great enough, we'll get the originals on DVD.

Eitherway though, its going to be a long time before we get the entire series on DVD. In the meantime, how's about the Indiana Jones trilogy on DVD!

stillakid
11-29-2001, 03:18 PM
I'm with you there. It's strange that the biggest, most popular films of all time (Star Wars, Indy) have yet to be released in DVD.

Rollo Tomassi
11-29-2001, 04:05 PM
They could release the first disc of a two disc set for each movie in a 2-disc snapper. That way we could have the Movies NOW (with commentaries and stuff). Then in a few years, he could release the supplemental discs and we could just pop them into the snapper case we already have with the first disc that has the movie on it...:D :D :D :D

stillakid
11-29-2001, 05:45 PM
Is that sort of like what Microsoft does with Windows? Star Wars Episode IV, version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0Beta, etc...

Do we have to pay 50 bucks per "upgrade" or are the supplemental version additions available on the website for download? Will the download "install" the version upgrade automatically or do I need to go into the registry?

What about 3rd party additions? Do they have to be licencsed or can we just make our own version "improvements" for private distribution?:crazed:

JediTricks
11-29-2001, 11:49 PM
Personally, I don't want to see the Emperor in ANH doing anything, nor do I care about the planet basketball... heh, I mean "Alderaan"... getting more screen time. I wouldn't hate them (probably ;)), but I don't think they're necessary either. The only thing I could see being needed is having Ian McDiarmid redoing the Emp's hologram in ESB for continuity's sake.

Chux, apparently, the version of Ep 1 shown on Fox last week had some noticable differences from all other versions. Also, the "alternate Maul death" (the one I reported on first - toot toot, it's my own horn ;)) was shown BEFORE the regular version during a few press junket showings as well as at the same time as the midnight showings. And finally, I'm quite confident that the version of ROTJ I saw at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood on opening day had an A-wing flying into the DS2's shield. Supposedly, Lucas wants to wait for HD-DVD to come out and put the trilogy on that, and if that's the case, you could get all those different versions on 2 disks.

However, I get the feeling Lucas will only release his "final vision" of the trilogy on DVD, that's the impression I get.

Stillakid, I have an offshoot of the blue-laser project right next to me, it's a blue-LED in a light-up pen I bought at the discovery channel store for $3.50 (on sale), it's WAY brighter than any other LED in its pricerange! The blue LED was a byproduct of the blue-laser project, which is supposedly ready to be intergrated into technology right now. The blue laser will be the main part of the HD-DVD technology and will be able to focus to different layers of the disk, for a disk holding about 8 times as much data as a modern DVD. Of course, with added data ability comes the desire to pack more info into each frame of a movie (especially since it's an HD-DVD movie and has more frame anyway), so you won't be able to get the entire LFL library on one disk. ;)

Basically, I don't want Lucas to have James Earl Jones come back and read "Luke... I am your fatherMOTHER!!!"

stillakid
11-30-2001, 01:10 AM
I don't know. I'm making this up as I go. :p

Wolfwood319
11-30-2001, 01:15 AM
I'm starting to agree with you stillakid. The more and more I think about it, I think GL will go back and change the OT to add in midichloreans and whatnot.

I don't think we'll ever see the originals released ever again, on any format. So hang on to your originals and THX copies people, there going to be valuable commodities someday.

stillakid
11-30-2001, 09:27 AM
I can't wait to get my DVD burner

bigbarada
11-30-2001, 09:44 AM
I just need to get a non-SE version of ANH on DVD and I'll be happy. Most of the SE changes to ESB were true improvements and ROTJ needs all the help it can get. ANH is the classic and it needs to be available untouched for historical purposes if nothing else.

Rollo Tomassi
11-30-2001, 10:34 AM
I'd like to see more of Alderaan. I loved McQuarries paintings of the doomed planet in the Star Wars illustrated Universe and would love to see at least SOME of them realized on the big screen if only for a moment or two. if not in Episode III, then in the ANH rerelease, but somewhere...

And this will never happen, but they could perfect that "seamless branching" technology and then you could pick and choose which SE scenes you want to leave in.

bigbarada
11-30-2001, 12:56 PM
Did anyone read the Manga version of Star Wars that came out a few years back? It expanded the entire destruction of Alderaan to encompass 7 pages, instead of just a simple explosion we got to see the world itself with it's cities bustling with people, then the superlaser tearing the planet apart. If you've never seen it, then you should try to get ahold of those books it would make an awesome addition to ANH just the way it is.

Even so, I still want an unaltered version of ANH to go with my Super-Duper Special Editions.

El Chuxter
11-30-2001, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Did anyone read the Manga version of Star Wars that came out a few years back? It expanded the entire destruction of Alderaan to encompass 7 pages, instead of just a simple explosion we got to see the world itself with it's cities bustling with people, then the superlaser tearing the planet apart. If you've never seen it, then you should try to get ahold of those books it would make an awesome addition to ANH just the way it is.

I didn't read it per se, but I thumbed through it. The Stormtroopers vs Jawas bit was pretty cool. That and an expanded view of Alderaan would be nice. . . in an archival edition similar to the Godfather Saga set of a few years ago. In the film as an individual film, though, both scenes would seriously throw off the pacing.

jedi master sal
12-06-2001, 02:18 PM
As for me, I can't get enough. If he (GL) decides to add more footage or cut in new dialogue, so be it. This is his story. We're all just a bunch of adoptive parents, thinking we know what's right for him and his created universe. It's not like if you made a scene that he might say, hmmm..... that looks good I think I'll add it and give someone else the credit for screwing around with my creation. Just enjoy the fact that we have something as fantastic as SW. It has inspired to complete two different degrees in college.One being Industrial design, (YES I know exactly how the films are made and have had experience in filming). Let me tell you it is not easy or cheap. If you could do better than let these words be a challenge to any of you who think you can do better.

Did I hit a chord... good.

Either shut up with the ranting of an American Icon (GL) and an American Classic (OT) or do something about it.

If you have a negative opinion at least make it constructive and offer another POV.

MTFBWY Always!!!:mad:

bigbarada
12-06-2001, 03:02 PM
As I mentioned in the Mark Austin interview thread: I have no problem with Lucas adding stuff to the films that he couldn't afford to do before, or didn't have time for. However, second guessing his decisions from 1975 (Greedo shooting first) are something that we have a right to complain about.

I'm not a filmmaker and don't pretend to know anything about it. However, that doesn't mean I shouldn't speak up when I see something I don't like. If everyone just blindly nods their head and repeats, "Yes, you're wonderful, George!" then things are just going to get worse:

GL: "Well, I had always envisioned Luke to be a girl, that's just the way he was depicted in the first few drafts. So I had ILM digitally alter Mark Hamill's features and now she more closely resembles my original idea."

(The preceding is commonly referred to as sarcasm. No need to get your underwear in a bundle.)

jedi master sal
12-06-2001, 03:31 PM
They are cheaper in bundles. Besides didn't your mother tell you about wearing cleaning underwear. You never know when.......

I will agree with you on the Greedo shoot though.. I debated this in my mind for years and came to the comclusion that Han really shot first and the scene we saw was somehow edited wrong and put Greedo first. This would explain the miss at a distance even a B'omar mink could hit. As for Greedo still sitting, don't forget that ILM kept Capt Panaka in place when he really had been moving to his seat in the queen's starship. (look for that in the DVD) so it was possible.

jedi master sal
12-06-2001, 03:33 PM
Hey cool I finally reached PADAWAN. What a joke. My knowledge of SW far exceeds that of the average fan. And my collection speaks for itself. Oh well, I guess we all have to start small, but I should be the greatest jedi of all. And one day I will be HA HA HA.

Sorry, darkside tremor.

jedi master sal
12-06-2001, 03:34 PM
at what post number do you attain a new level after padawan?

Rollo Tomassi
12-06-2001, 06:14 PM
Egotistical self-centered fanboy at 150...wait, I was thinking of something else.

never mind.

stillakid
12-06-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
They are cheaper in bundles. Besides didn't your mother tell you about wearing cleaning underwear. You never know when.......

I will agree with you on the Greedo shoot though.. I debated this in my mind for years and came to the comclusion that Han really shot first and the scene we saw was somehow edited wrong and put Greedo first. This would explain the miss at a distance even a B'omar mink could hit. As for Greedo still sitting, don't forget that ILM kept Capt Panaka in place when he really had been moving to his seat in the queen's starship. (look for that in the DVD) so it was possible.

While I appreciate your siding with the rest of the world on the Greedo thing, I don't think that you can have it both ways. On one hand, you suggest that it's his movie and we don't have a right to "complain." On the other, you have similar issues like the rest of us.

As I mentioned elsewhere, and at the risk of being unclear, I'll trunkate my comment, but it's understood that GL has the right to do whatever he wants to with his own story. After all, he started it, did 3 wonderful movies, and earned the money that allows him to do more without interference from anyone else. This freedom comes at a cost, though, for example the Greedo scene amongst others. So the question is, he has the freedom to change what he wants...but should he?

Rollo Tomassi
12-07-2001, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Hey cool I finally reached PADAWAN. What a joke. My knowledge of SW far exceeds that of the average fan. And my collection speaks for itself. Oh well, I guess we all have to start small, but I should be the greatest jedi of all. And one day I will be HA HA HA.

Sorry, darkside tremor.

I have three little letters that says you won't EVER be #1:

G. N. T.

bigbarada
12-07-2001, 09:56 AM
Yesssss, the GNT knows all! No one can challenge......the GNT!

;)

jedi master sal
12-07-2001, 10:55 AM
I don't ever plan on that it was a joke.

Although I would have many more posts had it not been for those notorious forum updates.

I really don't care about the number of posts. I just thought it was cool that I made a new level.

I know, as well as I am sure you all do, that the number of posts on a fansite does not equate to the quality of ones owns personal relationship to their affection for SW.

My apologies if anyone has been offended by my comments.