PDA

View Full Version : Why Jar-Jar

Imperial Monarche
11-19-2001, 10:04 AM
If the Jedi needed Jar-Jar to help them guide their way through the planet core, why did Qui-Gon instruct Obi-Wan to use the Force to guide their way? They could've just gotten rid of Jar-Jar right then and there.

TeeEye7
11-20-2001, 04:07 AM
If things had gotten really tough going through Naboo's planet core, Qui-Gon was planning to use Jar Jar as bait ;) !

master jedi
11-20-2001, 03:57 PM
Another good reason they took Jar Jar with them was to save him from being punished.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2001, 04:00 PM
By saving Jar Jar from Boss Nass, didn't that punish the rest of us by having him in the movie?

Where's the logic in that G.Lu.?

GNT
11-22-2001, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
By saving Jar Jar from Boss Nass, didn't that punish the rest of us by having him in the movie?

Yep,George is very cruel!

master jedi
11-25-2001, 10:39 PM
If there were no Jar Jar how else would OB1 and Qui-Gon get to the Naboo and rescue the Queen.

JediTricks
11-26-2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
If there were no Jar Jar how else would OB1 and Qui-Gon get to the Naboo and rescue the Queen. Originally, I think it was going to be via STAPs, which sounds way cooler to me. I can picture their robes fluttering behind them as they use their lightsabers to hack and slash from the STAP at 100 mph.

GNT
11-26-2001, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Originally, I think it was going to be via STAPs, which sounds way cooler to me. I can picture their robes fluttering behind them as they use their lightsabers to hack and slash from the STAP at 100 mph.

I remember something about them using STAPS too, Poor Lucas he picked the wrong one to use in EP1 :(

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 03:03 AM
I think it was that at somepoint, when the 2 were in Naboo, they were fighting droids and Obi-Wan got on one just to fight or chase after others or something.

I do definately remember reading or hearing something about Obi-Wan on a STAP.

master jedi
11-26-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally, I think it was going to be via STAPs, which sounds way cooler to me. I can picture their robes fluttering behind them as they use their lightsabers to hack and slash from the STAP at 100 mph.

That would be cool to see. But if no Jar Jar then there would be no Gungan diversion army and the Trade Federation would probably have complete control of Naboo.

JediTricks
11-27-2001, 12:36 AM
I still don't see how the "diversion" made any difference at all. Ultimately, it was Anakin taking out the droid control ship that won the war, everything else that led up to the Nemoidians losing was utterly pointless.

Rollo Tomassi
11-27-2001, 07:39 AM
I still don't see how the "diversion" made any difference at all. Ultimately, it was Anakin taking out the droid control ship that won the war, everything else that led up to the Nemoidians losing was utterly pointless.

If the gungans hadn't shown, the TFA would have remained in and around the city, making it impossible for the Naboo pilots (including Anakin) to "get to the ships!" Instead of having to blowing up one TF tank and a spotty handful of battledroids they would have had to take out 50 tanks and the entire droid army. So the diversion was necessary, otherwise "I do not think..we can win."

JediTricks
11-28-2001, 11:48 PM
Ok, I'll give you that. Still, the diversion only needed to seem like they were amassing, once the TF troops got out of the city, the gungans could have retreated.

And we didn't need Jar Jar to have a gungan diversion, we're shown that the gungans and the naboo have limited trade, that could have been the basis of their alliance. (assuming the diversion couldn't simply have been done by the last of the loose Naboo forces)

Wolfwood319
11-29-2001, 12:35 AM
I for one enjoyed Jar Jar's comedic antics. I watched the DVD again today, and found myself laughing at many Jar Jar scenes. He was a well placed addition that most people found amusing. Sure many hardcore SW fans thought he was an abomination, but I know a lot of fans who liked Jar Jar as well.

He also made the movie more acceptable to children. My little cousins who are 3 and 4 watch TPM all the time, mostly for Jar Jar.

He was also an alien character who along with the other heroes showed how differences can be overcome for the greater good of the people. Now that is a message I would want every kid to learn.

derek
11-29-2001, 10:09 AM
i saw episode 4 in theatres when i was 6 and didn't need any cartoon characters to get me hooked on the saga. i don't have a problem with jar-jar, and from a certain point of view can appreciate his innocence. but the comic sound effects like stepping in poo, fart jokes and getting hit in the nads have no place in the film. can you imagine how bad it would of been for chewbacca to run around farting through the original trilogy?

JediTricks
11-30-2001, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by derek
i saw episode 4 in theatres when i was 6 and didn't need any cartoon characters to get me hooked on the saga. Not only is this similar for me (though I'm a little younger than derek), but it's equally true of my niece, who was 3 when she fell in love with the CT from the collection I gave her last x-mas. I think there are too many entertainment execs who think poorly of children.

Jargo
12-23-2001, 10:52 AM
It's very easy to forget how to think like a child when you get your grown up status and your grown up job and people start looking to you as an equal and not a half formed mind and a scrawny kid etc.
Execs are basically full of the notion of cool and don't understand what kids are about. They think that if kids go for one idea they'll go for seventeen of the same. Kids don't work like that. Once is enough and then they get bored. You need to keep moving with kids. change tack often and never condescend. Actually the saving grace of Jar Jar was that he didn't play like a kid just as a gauche teenager instead. This appealed to a cross section of younger people and adults who remember being that gauche themselves. He appealed to people who laugh at Goofy cartoons. He appealed to people who like catchphrases "How wude" "Exsqueeze me?" "Yousa guys am bombad!" that kind of thing. He's in the movie as a counterpoint to the dullnes of the stilted acting and the dull dialogue. He doesn't really need to be there because George could have reached the same plot points a million different ways. It just seemed right to him at the time. In actual fact although I don't much like Jar Jar my partner howls laughing when we watch the movie together. I'm a big fan of star wars and can see the continuity errors and the plot holes and the character inconsistencies but my partner isn't a fan and just sees it as a really good romp. In fact my partner wanted to go see the movie again and dragged me back to watch it when it first hit the cinemas. I buy figures of Jar Jar as much for my partner as for me.
Jar Jar may grate at times but at the end of the day he's not going away. He'll always be a part of star wars. I'm learning to accept his existence and to get past the irritation. I'm starting to enjoy the phantom menace more as a movie and not as a piece of poodoo. More as the first boring chapter of a book that will lead to the better more exciting chapters.
When I first saw star wars I hated Luke. I still do to be honest but I learned to live with him and so I enjoy the movies more.

bigbarada
12-23-2001, 06:04 PM
You're right, EJ! Luke sucks!!!;)

Actually I did hate Luke as a kid, I hated his whininess, his blonde haired/blue eyed looks and his constant "upstaging" of everyone else.

This is when I was a kid, now I don't mind the character and can actually relate to his quest.

Jar Jar reminded me quite a bit of how I felt being a teenager: clumsy and stupid. So I guess that's why I liked him when I first saw him and I still think he is one of the few redeeming elements of Ep1.

SithDroid
01-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Ok. First of all Jar Jar was a horrible character. I can understand why GL put him in the movie to show that even the clumsiest of us all can overcome great odds, but some of the stuff he does is just down right stupid. Stepping in poop, getting farted on, trying to steal food, getting his lips caught in the enegy beam, and so on and so on. This type of "primitive childish comedy" was not called for in the film. I as a child always enjoyed C-3P0. He was all the comedy I ever needed as a child. A droid that is insecure and always worrying. And his type of humor wasn't deliberate or annoying. I suggest for Episode II we see more of C-3P0 and less, if not any, of Jar Jar. And as far as the whole plot thing with Phantom Menace if Jar Jar wasn't there, a couple of easy re-writes and the story would have been easily do able without really losing any of the plotline or integrity of the movie. Everything with Jar Jar in the movie could have easily been cut if you think about. The only thing that would have to change would be how they met the Gungans and got them to fight for them. If Jar Jar were not in the movie then I believe that a lot more people would not have called Episode I a let down. At least, that is my feeling anyway.

mabudonicus
01-14-2002, 04:33 PM
I must agree about gl taking Jar Jar just a bit too far( stepping in doo, and that fart joke....urrrrgh), but he wasn't all bad. Sure, if he WAS to become chewbacca I would probably totally hate the character, but seeing as (barring even more crazy revisions of the OT) the gungans have no place in the post- old republic days, we can just sort of enjoy watching them sail out of sight in the next couple films. BTW, jake lloyd as the future Darth Vader is a mistake that will be MUCH harder to erase,eh? Woooooo!!! P.S.What about digitally replacing the Ewoks with Gungans, you know, just to sort of...no,forget about it.

El Chuxter
01-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by derek
can you imagine how bad it would of been for chewbacca to run around farting through the original trilogy?

Get this walking carpet out of my way.

ROOOOOOORRRRRR!

I don't care what you smell--woah, jeez, that's rank!

Rah rah rah rah rah rah!

(I always thought the smiley Chewie emoticon looked like a flatulent Chewie.)

JediTricks
01-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Hey! I drew that! Next you'll be bagging on my C-3PO saying "his eyes shouldn't blink, it makes him look like he's farting". ;)