PDA

View Full Version : He's more machine now than man

dr_evazan22
06-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Not sure what some will consider a spoiler or not, so it's here:

At WizardWorld East in Philly on Fri I was able to ask Dave Prowse about E3. He said that he has yet to be contacted to reprise his role of DV and suggested that I/We start emailing LFL to request he be in the cast.

As to the title of the thread... Dave has had a number of health related issues in the past couple of years, most recently needing to have a hip replaced. Before it could be accomplished though one of his hips (or joints) popped out. Dave had crutches or braces w/ him at the show to help him get around.

Best wishes to Dave to an improved health!

Lastly, I'll say that Dave has a physically huge head!

Tonysmo
06-03-2003, 01:46 AM
ya know... all the David Prowse hype.. well.. it just bugs me.

OK.. YES he WORE THE SUIT... so friggin what. JEJ was the voice. what was better? could you possibly imagine Vader without that voice? I submit that I cannot! What angers me is all the turmoil that seems to have followed since the movies.. The guy signs all the stuff "THE" Darth Vader.. and seems to be still highly PO'd that he didnt get to do the voice.. IMO I think wearing the suit would be friggin awesome.. and if thats all I got to do.. Id be ever so greatful. I would be delighted that they dubbed in James Earls voice over my body movements.. I wouldnt carry on some egotstical side trip letting everyone know I was the REAL Darth Vader.. I mean.. seriously... we all know who this guy is, and what he has done.. but to carry on like he does.. just seems kinda stupid. I have never met the man, and given the chance I would like too.. but everything I've read about the man points to him being a selfish ego driven jeeerk.. Think about Christian Hayden.. He is begging Lucas to wear that suit.. do you think he is gonna cry and moan when he gets his wish and they dub JEJ in? I doubt it. He will be content to have the opportunity to wear that suit..

so.. to say that Dave has a physically large head.. I will have to say that maybe its to hold that huge ego of his..

any other points about him to change my mind are certainly welcome..

Beast
06-03-2003, 02:01 AM
I'm kinda of sick of hearing David Prowse constantly whine about this subject. He's been doing it since E1 came out and then again for E2. He even said in some magazines that Lucas should have re-written the story so he can play Anakin in the prequels. Not to mention how ticked he was when Sebastian Shaw played the unmasked Vader. The guy reminds me of Shatner. Just a flippin' egomaniac. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-03-2003, 02:29 AM
I don't want to dump on the guy or anything but I'm inclined to agree . . . I got the same vibe when meeting him last year in Chicago.

I feel really bad about his health problems, he just needs to let go of the character a bit. Yes, he played Vader in the films. Yes, he is able to score $20 a pop from people like myself :D for an autographed pic. The "David Prowse Is Darth Vader" signature is cute and all . . . but who is he fooling ?

dr_evazan22
06-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
The "David Prowse Is Darth Vader" signature is cute and all . . . but who is he fooling ?

Reading over everyone's comments, i never really thought about his ego being that big and bad. It was always on TFN I read stuff about him and assumed it was their slant on the writing.

After reading your post Caesar I got up and read the sig and that is what he wrote!

Just to be fair, I think it was equal parts his performance and JEJ's vocal performance that brought DV to life.

Next you guys are going to tell me that Kenny Baker didn't add anything to R2's performance:D !

2-1B
06-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
After reading your post Caesar I got up and read the sig and that is what he wrote!

I thought it was kinda cool on my 8x10 print but I thought it was unneccessary to write that on the figures I got signed. :rolleyes:
It meant he had to write it sideways on the card. :D

Just to be fair, I think it was equal parts his performance and JEJ's vocal performance that brought DV to life.

Can't argue there, he certainly DOES deserve much credit for the role. It's just that there are 3 other guys who lent alot to that role, Shaw, Jones, and even Bob Anderson since people always reference his stuntwork in ESB. ;)

Next you guys are going to tell me that Kenny Baker didn't add anything to R2's performance:D !

Well, he didn't in AOTC ! :D (I believe he is in the R2 unit for only one scene ? :confused: )

Hey drevazan, was Jeremy Bulloch there ? That guy is awesome, I hope he is in Chicago again this year because now I want an autographed pic of him as that Imperial Officer on Bespin. :)

I noticed Peter Mayhew was not on the list, he's probably off in Australia gloating about his big appearance in Episode III. :rolleyes:

Mayhew, there's another guy who can really get going and make some silly/assinine comments. :rolleyes: ;)

Beast
06-03-2003, 01:11 PM
The difference between Kenny Baker, Jeremy Bulloch, Peter Mayhew and David Prowse is that only the lastone is an egomaniac about "being" the character. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dr_evazan22
06-04-2003, 12:10 AM
C- Yeah Bulloch did show up later. I didn't get to talk to him though. For more info on comic show, check out my Just Found: Newark/Wilm DE.

I don't knwo why Ken Baker was in the R2 costume when it would be probably be just as easy to have an RC or CG R2 instaed of an "actor".

TheDarthVader
06-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Geez, David Prowse does not have to be Darth Vader again. That was then, this is now, and he is out! This is a new set of movies with a new set of actors. He needs to stop whining and chill out. ;)

scruffziller
06-05-2003, 08:55 AM
They better have him playing the role and let him die in peace when he kicks the R2 unit. If not, we'll see him going on a rampage in a Darth Vader outfit trying to take over the world weilding a REAL lightsaber. Think about it, he has money, he'll get one made.

plo koon 200
06-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
They better have him playing the role and let him die in peace when he kicks the R2 unit. If not, we'll see him going on a rampage in a Darth Vader outfit trying to take over the world weilding a REAL lightsaber. Think about it, he has money, he'll get one made.

Your quote literally made me laugh my head off. No offense.

scruffziller
06-06-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
Your quote literally made me laugh my head off. No offense.

Oh it was intended too!!!:D
But as crazy as Prowse sounds, I wouldn't put it past him.
I have never heard of an actor being so obsessed being connected to the charachter they played.

plo koon 200
06-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

Better yet, he will get a Death Star made and really take over the world and while he's at it the moon, as well.

scruffziller
06-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
Better yet, he will get a Death Star made and really take over the world and while he's at it the moon, as well.

Yea they'll rename Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me to
THE DAVID PROWSE STORY.:D

Tonysmo
06-09-2003, 12:39 AM
If Im not mistaken - Isnt the 501st pretty much HIS army? I cant confirm this, as the page is down, but I think they dedicated the whole legion to him..
also - here is a link to his personal website..

http://www.darthvader-starwars.com/

didnt read through the whole thing, but one thing did stand out as semi odd.. he is selling photos.. ( of course.. if I played the role, Id be cashing in as well.. ) but one photo strikes me as odd.. he has a photo of Jon Pertwee ( Dr Who ). What makes it stand out? well, the caption reads he personally took this photo at a party 3 days before this mans death.

ok.. call me crazy "CRAZY!!" but if Im a star ( even a semi star ) and I have a friend ( I assume they were friends ) and I snapped a picture of this guy, and he dies three days later.. Im not gonna sell the mans photo. Im gonna enjoy that photo for myself and remember the man for who he was.. not a supplement to my own income.

but thats just me..

here is an interview from him as well.. kinda fun to read up on how he was mis treated... at least now I can kinda see why he has chosen the jaded side..

http://einsiders.com/features/interviews/davidprowse.php

plo koon 200
06-09-2003, 09:34 PM
That's how he always talks.