PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Movies

Brave Sir Robin
11-19-2001, 10:25 AM
Wheather yer ready or not folks, Christmas time's a comin! Here are some cool movies to watch on Xmas eve.

Nightmare Before Christmas (a no-brainer really. you could watch it on Halloween too)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon, not the Jim Carrey remake)
Batman Returns (more of a dark, gothic, Caped Crusader Christmas)
A Muppet Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens's classic story has been done by everyone and their dog, from Bill Murray to the Jetsons to Alvin and the Chipmunks. But the Muppets version definatley has to be my favorite)
Edward Scissorhands (less of a huge Xmas theme here, but it's still a good one)
It's A Wonderful Life (also a no-brainer. one of the best Christmas Movies ever made)
Star Wars Holiday Special (just kidding folks)

anyone think of any others?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-19-2001, 12:39 PM
My personal favorite, of all the Dicken's Christmas Carols, is the one that stars Alistar Simm (sp?). It's pretty old (1951 I think) and is in black and white (although they do have a crappy color version). But it is the best portrayal of Scrooge I have seen (I still haven't seen George C. Scott's version but this version has a full-blooded Englishman). My family owns it on VHS and we watch it every year during Christmas week. It gives us a nice tingly feeling. A lot of stations too run it, around this time of the year. I highly recommend it.:happy:

Mandalorian Candidat
11-19-2001, 01:54 PM
Don't forget the mother of all XMas flicks, A Christmas Story! Bring on the 24 hr. marathon TBS!

"Fragile'... must be Italian."

El Chuxter
11-19-2001, 02:10 PM
Okay, MC, you picked up the glaring omission from Robin's original list. ;)

Don't forget that Ghostbusters II also takes place at Christmas.

And Jingle All The Way was actually a really fun movie.

Rollo Tomassi
11-19-2001, 02:14 PM
Are you kidding???

Lethal Weapon and the First two Die Hard movies are standard Christmas fare around my place...:D :D

Brave Sir Robin
11-19-2001, 02:19 PM
How could I forget A Christmas Story? "Ye'll shoot yer eye out, kid!" LOL

Wolfwood319
11-19-2001, 02:34 PM
National Lampoon's Christmas.

Come on people, with the exception of Christmas Story, this is the definitive Christmas movie.

I also like Jingle All the Way and the Santa Clause, both are really funny as well.

TeeEye7
11-20-2001, 05:25 AM
'A Christmas Story'.....

Perfectly captures the magic of Santa through a little boy's eyes. How I can relate!

Santa brought my BB gun at age 10. I didn't shoot my eye out, but did I get doinked in the forhead by one of those nasty ricochets!

Best Christmas-message movie for me: 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' (if it counts as a movie.....).

Obi-Don
11-20-2001, 05:49 AM
National Lampoon's Christmas Vac. it the best
Charlie Brown's Christmas- all time favoite
Loved the Christmas story
The Muppet Chritmas Carol-Very good

And by the way,George C Scott's verion is very good and worth seeing

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-20-2001, 10:02 PM
Don't forget that slasher horror flick in where a snowman comes to life and starts killing everything in site.

It's demanded Christmas viewing in our house. It warms us all inside :p

Magnolia-Fan
11-20-2001, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
Don't forget that slasher horror flick in where a snowman comes to life and starts killing everything in site.

It's demanded Christmas viewing in our house. It warms us all inside :p

Is that Jack Frost? I saw it and a Jack Frost 2 at the video store the other day.

Dont forget about Silent Night, Deadly Night either...

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 10:30 PM
What's that one movie about a guy who was traumatized by Santa as a kid and when he grows up he decides to dress up as Santa and kill people? He worked in a toy store and I specifically remember there being like 50 of the old Jabba the Hutt playsets stacked up in one aisle. Obviously the movie was made in the early 80s.

Wolfwood319
11-20-2001, 11:32 PM
I think that was Silent Night, wasn't it.

I remember seeing A&E's Biography on Santa, and at one point they had a little piece on this movie, and how it was protested when it came out.

Funny when you think about it, back then they protested about Santa being portrayed in a movie, today, there are protests about a wars, and death penaltys, and a lot more things in that nature.

How the world has changed in less than 2 decades, kind of puts everything into perspective.

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I think that was Silent Night, wasn't it.

I guess it was Silent Night, Deadly Night. The name didn't really ring a bell when I first heard it. I think I first watched that movie on Beta.:eek:

Mandalorian Candidat
11-21-2001, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I think I first watched that movie on Beta.:eek:

Oh no! Beta....

Gremlins is also another good movie that takes place over XMas. Remember that scene where Corey Feldman is dressed up as a Christmas tree in his dad's tree lot?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-23-2001, 11:30 PM
Wasn't Jack Frost that sappy movie starring Michael Keaton as a snowman who longs to see his son? Or are they just two different movies same title.

Wolfwood319
11-23-2001, 11:49 PM
There 2 different movies with the same title.

The other Jack Frost is about a serial killer who, through some chemical accident, gets turned into a snowman and wreaks havoc on a small town.

They made a direct-to-video sequel of this movie for anyone who is interested.

Brave Sir Robin
11-26-2001, 08:48 AM
Michael Keaton is awesome, but Jack Frost made me fall asleep :zzz:

GNT
11-27-2001, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
Michael Keaton is awesome, but Jack Frost made me fall asleep :zzz:

Thats what Ep1 does to me :)

Jingle All The Way is a stupid movie,cool the frst time but totally blows!

Brave Sir Robin
11-27-2001, 10:10 AM
A much better Michael Keaton Christmas Movie would be Batman Returns. "I played dis stinkin' city like a hahp frum hell!"