PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for exclusive Episode III content on StarWars.com?

Tycho
06-02-2003, 11:19 PM
The Official Site, www.starwars.com is going to set up a "Hyperspace channel," where viewers can get exclusive Episode III content.

But are you ready for this? They're going to charge you for looking at it!

Will this be of tremendous value and enjoyment to the fans, or will this be a chance to pay a swindler like Watto for the chance to download windows media movies of Rick McCallum saying "he knows something but he can't tell you?"

Subcribers are also promised no pop-up ads. Meanwhile, regular advertising is running daily on the standard site's pages.

Perhaps their hosting charges and the quantity of images, movies, and data they are storing is large, but so is SirStevesGuide.com's. But here the staff doesn't charge you to view news content!

Star Wars is a phenomenon with the fans, and that manifests itself in financial opportunities for Lucasfilm by way of first selling millions of dollars in movie tickets, and then making residuals in everything from Hasbro's toys to Master Replica's realistic movie prop reproductions.

StarWars.com is one large, fascinating and alluring COMMERCIAL for their product empire. Will something on it now be worth paying for?

The last time I was thirsty, I did not put a quarter in my television set so I could watch a commerical about Coca-Cola before I decided to go out and buy one.

How do you guys think "the taxation of Hyperspace Routes to outlying websites" will effect the galactic website?

bobafrett
06-02-2003, 11:34 PM
With as much cash as I have paid out for Star Wars figures, movie tickets, videos, DVD's, fan club subscriptions, and other collectibles, with a percentage going to George Lucas's pockets, I think he should let us continue to see the information for FREE!!!
It really peeve's me that the SW website would pull something like this. I'm not going to pay, I don't give a darn how much exclusive information they will put on there.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
With as much cash as I have paid out for Star Wars figures, movie tickets, videos, DVD's, fan club subscriptions, and other collectibles, with a percentage going to George Lucas's pockets, I think he should let us continue to see the information for FREE!!!
It really peeve's me that the SW website would pull something like this. I'm not going to pay, I don't give a darn how much exclusive information they will put on there.

I can't disagree with anything you've said, but I wouldn't mind shelling out a buck a month if they included online Insider and Bantha Tracks editions of the print versions. I probably won't get it just because I purposly don't want to watch any inside info on EP3 until the movie is released.

I hope no one buys into it and they end up giving it away.

karinations
06-03-2003, 12:37 AM
>>The last time I was thirsty, I did not put a quarter in my television set so I could watch a commerical about Coca-Cola before I decided to go out and buy one.<<<

Exactly.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

2-1B
06-03-2003, 12:43 AM
I would be delighted to pay 0 dollars and 0 cents. :)

skeeziks22
06-03-2003, 02:13 AM
Pay to have them tell me about a bunch of stuff that they now send me via e-mail? I don't think so. Unlike many people I am still a fan club member and the magazine has sufficed so far.

I would find it hard to believe that many people that care enough about star wars to want to know that information would pay to get it... hopefully they put a bunch of money into making an amazing pay only website and have virtually no subscribers.

I love the internet because it is free... that is why I visit this site. If you make me pay to visit a site I simply go elsewhere. And what's to stop one person from paying for access, and then sharing all the information with anyone who wants it? One subscription could be split up between a multitude of people.

Banthaholic
06-03-2003, 07:58 AM
I think I already paid when I signed up for the Fanclub. Why I should sign up for two 'servieces' just to not miss 'official' content is beyond me.
Why don't they offer this as an incentive to join the fan club?

I think they're making a huge mistake. What Family will subscribe? Not too many.. What hard-core collecotr will subscribe? Surely not me, I know that anything posted there will be available online elsewhere for free in no time.

I could care less about the documentaries and videos about E# I don't want spoilers. Nor have I ever taken the time to watch the free videos currently featured on SW . com Heck I rememeber when the E2 music video came out, for whatever reason the darn thing wouldn't let me sign in, so I had to visit 'another' website to view it.

Talk about down right greediness!!! They should take the efffort in the project and put it into script wrighting! Between this and Hasbro's distributuion, they might as well title E3 The Disappearance of Lifelong Fans

stillakid
06-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Studios get enough free advertising as it is with the way "news" outlets flock to movie premieres and interview actors. This "exclusive content" is nothing more than a marketing tool, just like a commercial and, like Tycho said, who in their right mind would pay for that?

If they want me to buy their product (the movie), they can advertise to me like everyone else.

Besides, I think that Lucasfilm is being just a bit optimistic here. Had the Prequels been just as good as the OT or better, they might have had the "non fan" base clamoring for information in the same way that Lucas-ites do. The market for purchasing this kind of information is so small, I can't imagine what they hope to gain besides a few bucks from the gullible and the ire of everyone else. :confused:

sexybith74
06-03-2003, 08:47 AM
I don't want to get too nerdy here, but isn't this how al that crap in Episode 1 started with the Trade Federation? You all have great responses so far in that we the fans already spend a LOT on this franchise, and we'll continue to spend in the future. But this stuff will be available elsewhere. I'm not going to be turning my back on SW anytime soon, but I will happily turn on the site for this outrageous request of loyal fans.
It's almost like your best friend suddenly charghing you for gas when you go to the places you guys always go anyway, like a pub or on a SW TOY HUNT!

Kidhuman
06-03-2003, 09:44 AM
I second Caesars post.

Tycho
06-03-2003, 10:33 AM
"The Galactic Fans are in turmoil. Several thousand fans under the leadership of the mysterious Count Let's-Save-A-Buck have declared their intentions to leave StarWars.com.

This Separatist movement has put a terrible burden on the ever-increasing amount of Accountants charged with upping LFL's profits at the expense of their fans.

[Imperial] Senator McCallum, still the DragQueen of planet -Tax-You, is returning to the Empire to vote on the critical issue of FIGURING OUT NEW WAYS TO CHARGE THE FANS to help their overwhelmed Accountants...

Patient Zero
06-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Points on the Respect-O-Meter falling. Quickly nearing Star Wars saturation point.

2-1B
06-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
I second Caesars post.

Cool, then that doubles my contribution. So lets see . . . my 0 dollars plus your 0 dollars, heck that makes a whopping 0 dollars ! :p

Now if only everyone else would chip in, we can get this pot growing in no time ! :crazed:

sith_killer_99
06-03-2003, 11:10 AM
I honestly don't visit the site much as it is. Besides I hate those annoying pop-up, and I refuse to pay to keep 'em off my screen, I would just rather not go there. Besides, If I really wanted to avoid all pop-ups I could buy a simple program to take care of that.

Will this "exclusive content" be downloadable? I doubt it, since everyone and their brother would just pass it out like candy after they downloaded it. So that would mean that you have to go back to their site every time you wanted to view the content.

I think this is the worst thing to happen to fans since the Power of the Force line ended in 1985.:eek:

zeroplate
06-03-2003, 11:35 AM
"The last time I was thirsty, I did not put a quarter in my television set so I could watch a commerical about Coca-Cola before I decided to go out and buy one."

While this is a cute metaphor, it's not really a good analogy. It could also be argued that the toys are just marketing products to sell movie tickets, or in the reverse, that the films only exist to sell toys, games, and comforters. The reality is that the fans have asked for more, more, more product, and Lucasfilm being a business is only happy to oblige.

To rail against Lucasfilm for being overly commercial seems a bit much. When has Lucasfilm NOT been out to make money on their properties? I could understand the sardonic tone of your post if Star Wars were a publically owned entity, and if information about it was a public service, but it's not. In fact, SSG uses Star Wars news and content to generate revenue just like StarWars.com (although admittedly on a much smaller, and less obtrusive scale.) My point is that Lucasfilm is offering a premium service with SOME benefits, and while they may not seem like tremendous benefits to YOU, they are nevertheless value-added services for which they are asking people to pay. Does it mean that the amount you pay is worth the benefit you receive? Not really, but I'd argue that the same holds true for MOST starwars stuff, from over-priced figures to high-priced movie tickets. Let's not blame Lucasfilm for rolling out a new program to make money. They are, after all, in the business of it!

I am not at all interested in the service and wouldn't pay for access even at $5 a month, but that's me.

jedi master sal
06-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Cool, then that doubles my contribution. So lets see . . . my 0 dollars plus your 0 dollars, heck that makes a whopping 0 dollars ! :p

Now if only everyone else would chip in, we can get this pot growing in no time ! :crazed:

here's my two cents...er rather no cents (or is that NONSENSE?)

Anyway, this should be free. Besides my huge collection, the fanclub membership and many memberships in net sites including the official one, I went to college getting a degree in Industrial Design which taught me about model making, special effects, robotics and so on. This as a direct result in wanting to connect closer to the movies, besides which it was a hope and dream to work for Lucas someday in someway. SO I LITERALLY have over $50K invested into SW.

KEEP THE SITE FREE!!!!!!!

I'm prone to swear at this point so just use your imagination here.....@#^&#%$*&^$%@##))!&!&+

They're not just squeezing a few bucks out of us, they are squeezing the life.

I'm reminded of a quote from Leia to Tarkin....."The more you tighten you grip, the more starsystems will slip through your fingers."

LusiferSam
06-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Seeing is how I only go to the"offical" site a couple times a year I voted no. There is little they could offer me that I'd pay for. Photos: If is anything AOTC most of those photos sucked and SW Insider reprinted them anyway. Concept art: I think it fun to look at after the fact and see how idea evolved. But I have little interest in other wise. Cast info: Who cares. We know about the major players already and there might be one or two major new characters. Beyond that maybe these people have 10 minutes of screen time. News: Between SSG and SW Insider I got all the news I want (or need). Trailers: Maybe. But in all likely hood I see the trailer seen enough.

seth_quinn
06-03-2003, 12:42 PM
oh I will!... let see here... reaching around in my pockets... searching... searching... hmm, seems the only thing I have to offer is a bird in each hand. ..l.. :D ..l..

if EIII is the last one we're getting I want to savour it. I've stayed out the free forums on the topic so why would I pay to have it ruined for me.

Tycho brings up one other point I want to touch on. as a web designer I am very familiar with things like bandwidth and monthly hosting bills. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it costs to keep this site running every month. but I thank you for doing it! for those that don't understand what I talking about; everytime each one of us loads/reloads a page, checks out the images in the cdb or members collections, ..., ..., it costs SirSteve et all money. and it adds up fast. if you don't think so or have never thought about - know this and know it well - this site is an incredible privilege and we are all very lucky to have it. thanks again guys!!

NRPeace
06-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Honestly, I only go to the official site when I'm prompted by a link on this site. No matter how much they charge for it, I'm sure somebody will still be giving information to these forums.

Arrogant Arse
06-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Basically the only thing i read on thde "Official" site is photo captions, and those submitted are usually pretty lame. I think they should pay me to view their site.

Reject_Kid
06-03-2003, 02:31 PM
I think it is really stupid how StarWars.com is doing that! I mean what? Does Lucasfilm really need money that bad?!

bobafrett
06-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by seth_quinn
Tycho brings up one other point I want to touch on. as a web designer I am very familiar with things like bandwidth and monthly hosting bills. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it costs to keep this site running every month. but I thank you for doing it! for those that don't understand what I talking about; everytime each one of us loads/reloads a page, checks out the images in the cdb or members collections, ..., ..., it costs SirSteve et all money. and it adds up fast. if you don't think so or have never thought about - know this and know it well - this site is an incredible privilege and we are all very lucky to have it. thanks again guys!!

I was totally clueless on how much it cost to keep a website up, or that posting on that site cost money, until about a year ago when I was posting on the a section of the EZ-boards. Then fellow posters started making comments about all these posts I was making. I was like, "well it's free to post, right?" and it was then I was told that the person who owns that board has to pay everytime a post takes a hit, and everytime I would post others would hit on that topic to see what was new. Since then, I have paid something toward the boards. I still refuse to pay to see stuff on Starwars.com.

joe-da
06-03-2003, 04:12 PM
The only reason I would consider paying for the SW.com would be the EP 2 deleted scene (which should have been on the DVD), but it's not even FINISHED..... so I think not. As for the cartoons, how about I just WATCH THEM ON TV or will THEY BE PAY-PER-VIEW?????

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2003, 05:32 PM
I would imagine that once the pay site opens up someone will get ahold of the premium content and stick some stuff on a mirror site. I bought the EP1 DVD but never could log on to dvd.starwars.com to view the "mystery" trailer since I didn't own a DVD-ROM drive at the time. I ended up seeing the trailer on a mirror site. I predict the same thing will happen to the unfinished droid ship invasion scene 0.01 seconds after it is posted on starwars.com.

derek
06-03-2003, 06:34 PM
i won't be subscribing to (starwars.com). the only thing that would get my interest is if we got to see really good stuff, like the "dailies" of actual stuff they just filmed, along with a "studio" cam, which would broadcast a live feed from the australia soundstages so we could see what was going on on the set. and if they threw in episode 3 story boards, animatics, and the script, i'd reconsider.

but i'm not paying for stuff i'll see here or the force.net for free.
i'd rather support this and other star wars sites advertisers than pay for a commercial.:)

Turbowars
06-03-2003, 06:45 PM
SW.com can kiss __ ___! I don't want to know about EP3 until I'm sitting in the seat at AMC anyways.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Sorry Lucas. James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich's club are the only thing I'm willing to pay for to join. As much as I want to see a rough cut of a deleted scene, I'll pass and use my funds to keep another web based pay club operating.

stillakid
06-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by zeroplate
"The last time I was thirsty, I did not put a quarter in my television set so I could watch a commerical about Coca-Cola before I decided to go out and buy one."

While this is a cute metaphor, it's not really a good analogy. It could also be argued that the toys are just marketing products to sell movie tickets, or in the reverse, that the films only exist to sell toys, games, and comforters. The reality is that the fans have asked for more, more, more product, and Lucasfilm being a business is only happy to oblige.

To rail against Lucasfilm for being overly commercial seems a bit much. When has Lucasfilm NOT been out to make money on their properties? I could understand the sardonic tone of your post if Star Wars were a publically owned entity, and if information about it was a public service, but it's not. In fact, SSG uses Star Wars news and content to generate revenue just like StarWars.com (although admittedly on a much smaller, and less obtrusive scale.) My point is that Lucasfilm is offering a premium service with SOME benefits, and while they may not seem like tremendous benefits to YOU, they are nevertheless value-added services for which they are asking people to pay. Does it mean that the amount you pay is worth the benefit you receive? Not really, but I'd argue that the same holds true for MOST starwars stuff, from over-priced figures to high-priced movie tickets. Let's not blame Lucasfilm for rolling out a new program to make money. They are, after all, in the business of it!

I am not at all interested in the service and wouldn't pay for access even at $5 a month, but that's me.

Interesting comments. I'll continue to think them over. My immediate reaction is to suggest that toys and other "memorabilia" fall into a separate category. I definitely agree that they exist as a marketing entity towards the films, but as so many other things are "multi-platform," so is Star Wars. (It might even be argued that Star Wars is responsible for this trend!)

Anyhow, this begs the questions: Are the toys (et al) marketing tools to help sell movie tickets or are the movies a marketing tool to sell the merchandise? It could be a chicken/egg thing, but in my opinion, it's all one big grey glob of financial opportunity for Lucasfilm. Each entity helps sell the other.

However, what might set the movies and toys apart from something like web content is how they were introduced into the marketplace. We've always had to pay $ to see the movies. We've always had to pay $ to have the toys. Web content arrived on the Internet as a clear and defined way of "selling" the franchise by feeding behind the scenes information as well as other "fan interests" (such as toys and interactive games/activities). So while the toys are related to the films, they are their own thing entirely. The web content is dependent upon everything else going on with Star Wars, including the films, the toys, the games, and other assorted merchandise. The web content can't exist for long without those other items, whereas the other things have lives of their own.

For that reason, www.starwars.com is really nothing more than an interactive commercial for the whole kit-n-kaboodle (sp?). By having an everpresent "presence," they can attempt to keep Star Wars information and interest alive even if broadcast television and print publications cease running stories about it. Which is all well and good, but to ask the fanbase to pay for it is ridiculous. We'll all get to pay good money to see the entire film soon enough. Why we'd want to pay to see the commercials leading up to it is beyond me.

vadersvette
06-03-2003, 09:18 PM
I think it is unfair to charge. It should be free! Lucas makes enough money. :greedy:

Darth Jax
06-03-2003, 10:28 PM
to me the easiest way to look at this is to look back at pro wrestling as an example. wrestling's big events were not always pay-per-view. but they realized there was more money to be had by charging those that couldn't get tix to watch the event as well. there were still the weekly matches you could watch on your regular cable channel but to get these exclusive matches you had to pay to see it.

starwars.com is taking the same approach. you can get your regular information, but if you want additional it will cost you. no one can force you to pay and visit the site. can you live without the new 'exclusive' content on hyperspace, SURE. can you miss a wrestling pay-per-view, ABSOLUTELY. but there are enough people out there that feel its a valuable enough way to spend their money and will purchase a membership for hyperspace.

it's not worth any amount of admission fee to me. give it some time after posting and it'll be common knowledge - i may not get to view the info directly, but i'll know what's there. enough to keep me happy. if starwars.com wants to charge admission, fine by me (afterall it is their website). i rarely have reason to visit there anyway.

stillakid
06-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
to me the easiest way to look at this is to look back at pro wrestling as an example. wrestling's big events were not always pay-per-view. but they realized there was more money to be had by charging those that couldn't get tix to watch the event as well. there were still the weekly matches you could watch on your regular cable channel but to get these exclusive matches you had to pay to see it.

starwars.com is taking the same approach. you can get your regular information, but if you want additional it will cost you. no one can force you to pay and visit the site. can you live without the new 'exclusive' content on hyperspace, SURE. can you miss a wrestling pay-per-view, ABSOLUTELY. but there are enough people out there that feel its a valuable enough way to spend their money and will purchase a membership for hyperspace.

There's a huge difference between the Hyperspace content and a wrestling match apart from watching sweaty guys in tights roll around and embrace on the floor together. :eek:

The Hyperspace content isn't an "event" with limited seating. It's just information. The wrestling match is a limited time sporting event...it exists for a specified amount of time (live), and then it is done. Of course we're talking about WWE so it is scripted, but ignoring that for a minute, no one knows how it will turn out so there is an element of immediacy for the audience. The Hyperspace content is just there, and it will always be there as long as the webmaster wants it to be.

Apples and oranges.

Unkle Mike
06-03-2003, 11:09 PM
They do have the right to charge for whatever content they want to put out on the web. We also have the right to not subscribe. So be it.
What will I miss out on? Seeing the pyrotechnincs guys pushing buttons? Watching camera man #3 scratching his butt? They already said that we won't see anyting that is actually being shot. What's the point? And with NO SOUND whatsoever, it gets really annoying really fast.
So I miss out on seeing the unfinished scene from Episode II. Darn. I won't get to see Ewan McGregor and Sam Jackson swinging metal rods in front of a blue screen. I can watch my nephews do that in the back yard with sticks. Once in a while, they'll whack each other really good, too, which makes things more exciting.
Anyway, my point is, if you want to pay, pay. If you don't want to pay, don't pay. Check out the free preview and decide for yourself. Don't just sit here and gripe about how "Uncle George" is lining his coffers. Nobody ever said he had to be a philanthropist, did they?

stillakid
06-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Unkle Mike
Nobody ever said he had to be a philanthropist, did they?

http://glef.org ;)

Darth Jax
06-03-2003, 11:39 PM
originally posted by stillakid
Apples and oranges.

would you prefer i reference it to a porn site on the net. content there just sits there, but if you wanna look, you have to pony up a buck (or two...). the message being the same. you can find similar info (even the same pix) elsewhere on the web for free, yet paysites must make money or they wouldn't stay in business. the exclusive content on hyperspace will leak quickly enough and be available on other web sites, you just may have to search for it.

the argument i was making concerning wrestling was that if you will let viewers watch for no fee matches every week, why charge them to see matches once a month. same with starwars.com, if you're going to have some info available at no charge, what makes certain information then valuable enough to justify pay-per-view versus being available for free on their site. why pay to see the rock take on a particular opponent when the following week will be a return match you can see for free?

if someone wants to charge for their intellectual property fine. i don't have to subscribe, neither do you.

stillakid
06-04-2003, 12:14 AM
would you prefer i reference it to a porn site on the net. content there just sits there, but if you wanna look, you have to pony up a buck (or two...). the message being the same. you can find similar info (even the same pix) elsewhere on the web for free, yet paysites must make money or they wouldn't stay in business. the exclusive content on hyperspace will leak quickly enough and be available on other web sites, you just may have to search for it.
No, because that isn't a fair comparison either. Unless the porn site is advertising for another event, like a love festival that you have to pay admission for, like a movie. :)

the argument i was making concerning wrestling was that if you will let viewers watch for no fee matches every week, why charge them to see matches once a month.
That wasn't your original statement. You wondered about a match in which people who can't go to the actual live event have the option of paying for a televised broadcast. Now you're talking about something else.

So, your new situation is:

the argument i was making concerning wrestling was that if you will let viewers watch for no fee matches every week, why charge them to see matches once a month.
I don't know. Ask them. Maybe those pay per view matches are supposed to be inherently better with better actors, er, um...wrestlers or something. I suppose maybe you're taking the view that the "free" matches are merely advertisement teasers to get you hyped up for the big "pay" event later in the month. If that's what you mean, you've made my case for me. Those early matches are FREE to entice you to PAY for the bigger main event.

same with starwars.com, if you're going to have some info available at no charge, what makes certain information then valuable enough to justify pay-per-view versus being available for free on their site.
Right. Exactly. What will be the magic line of demarcation which justifies pay per view vs. a free press release? Good question.

why pay to see the rock take on a particular opponent when the following week will be a return match you can see for free?
Right. I have no idea. Although, I will say that the general human attitude toward "free" stuff is that it somehow isn't as good as something you have to "pay" for. It makes no rational sense, but then again, who ever said that humans are rational?

if someone wants to charge for their intellectual property fine. i don't have to subscribe, neither do you.
Right! Vote with your wallet. That sends the message faster than anything else can. :)

JediTricks
06-04-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Anyhow, this begs the questions: Are the toys (et al) marketing tools to help sell movie tickets or are the movies a marketing tool to sell the merchandise? It could be a chicken/egg thing, but in my opinion, it's all one big grey glob of financial opportunity for Lucasfilm. Each entity helps sell the other. As of ROTJ, the toys and other merchandising was the key moneymaker for Lucasfilm, far outweighing the income received from ticket and home market sales.

As I've said before, I've bought tons of books and several videos that should have had the non-Ep3 content in them, but for whatever reason, they didn't. Paying to get webcontent from sw.com is not the equivelent of a book or magazine or video/dvd - they are hard copies I'll have forever and have the highest possible quality images and videos on them, this is part of why I continue to buy these books, magazines, and videos. Web content is often inferior to this, and it requires I have web access just to see it in the first place - and almost certainly needs high-speed web access at that. As for the Ep3 content, apparently most isn't even exclusive and even if it were, I wouldn't care much anyway - I didn't really love the AOTC images or the web documentaries, neither of which were as good as the Ep1 versions. If this non-Ep3 content were being offered in new hard copies, I'd consider paying to enjoy them. However, subscribing to the site is akin joining a 2nd official fan club and I don't like it, the first one is struggling enough as it is without a competitor.

Dago-BAH
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Where is the choice:

$0.00! I want to be surprised when the movie comes out.

jedi-cpa
06-04-2003, 03:31 PM
then you are the typ eof star wars geek that makes the rest of us Star Wars Geeks look bad!!!:mad:

I am Jabba the Hutt
06-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Ooooooh don't get me started on this one. How much have the fans given to Lucasfilm? We buy all the merchandise, we go to see the movies, we bought the videos when they were "last time ever" and then we bought the special editions. Then, we'll all buy the DVD's.

And the people that do pay? Are they really going to find out anything really cool? NO! Who cares about Rick McCallum saying "Oh, I can't wait for this *bleeping* movie. It's so much fun, I wish I could tell you more but I can't. We'll be finishing up filming some scenes in a few weeks". Who cares that they're filming. It's not like they'll tell us anything cool.

The best thing to do is monitor www.theforce.net for spoilers. And also, the only things on starwars.com worth viewing - the making of documentaries will eventually show up anyway.

I never visit StarWars.com, I find it useless, and what about those select images, how crappy were they? Oooooooh it's a boot! Wow! Oooooh it's a green screen and someone flying in the air. GROUND BREAKING!!!

It's just a way of kicking the fans in the teeth. Bad Lucasfilm. VERY Bad.

SplFrcsCWO
06-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by sexybith74
I don't want to get too nerdy here, but isn't this how al that crap in Episode 1 started with the Trade Federation?

I was thinking the exact thing! Maybe Lucas is going senile and needs $$ for experimental/alternative treatments. First Greedo fires at Han and now this hyperspace BS.

SirSteve
06-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by seth_quinn

One of the rare ones that understands what it takes to maintain a web site. I guess people think it doesn't cost anything... We have advertising because it costs to have programmers, graphic designers, networking admin, host, servers, bandwidth, equipment (camera, lighting, etc), travel, etc... and advertising doesn't pay the bills all the time. I do not agree with charging for news content as that's what gets your traffic in the first place, however I do see charging for certain services. We are looking into other ways to keep the site going rather than putting ads all over the place... some sites put ads within your news article, or do full-page flash ads. I continiously work on keeping our ads and site balanced and Action Online has been great in understanding the sensititivity of our community in those regards.

So, what WOULD you pay for? An auction system like ebay? Or what about a Deluxe Classifieds system? You only get charged if you sell something... comments and suggestions welcome. :)

scruffziller
06-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Pay for spoilers???????
I would prefer to be spoiler free then!!!!!!!!
McCallum has got nothing on Pendo!!!!!!!!! HEE HEE!!!!

seth_quinn
06-05-2003, 12:07 PM
aww poop! did it again. can we make the submit button 10x the size of the reset button for dumbies like me?

SirSteve - check your pms

Imperial Loyalist
06-05-2003, 12:42 PM
No thanks Lucas. I'll wait for the movie.

TheDarthVader
06-05-2003, 01:11 PM
I will not be purchasing this information either...too lame.

scruffziller
06-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
One of the rare ones that understands what it takes to maintain a web site. I guess people think it doesn't cost anything... We have advertising because it costs to have programmers, graphic designers, networking admin, host, servers, bandwidth, equipment (camera, lighting, etc), travel, etc... and advertising doesn't pay the bills all the time. I do not agree with charging for news content as that's what gets your traffic in the first place, however I do see charging for certain services. We are looking into other ways to keep the site going rather than putting ads all over the place... some sites put ads within your news article, or do full-page flash ads. I continiously work on keeping our ads and site balanced and Action Online has been great in understanding the sensititivity of our community in those regards.

So, what WOULD you pay for? An auction system like ebay? Or what about a Deluxe Classifieds system? You only get charged if you sell something... comments and suggestions welcome. :)

So very true. And as an enlightened individual of how the economy works(the part most people don't think about), I can't agree more. I never realized how much it actually does cost. I just won't be paying for the service and would not support it giving that if it were free and dug into the innocent division's pocket that ran it(not Lucas mind you). Even though Lucas owns what is going on, it is the peon folk who get the shaft.

Originally posted by I am Jabba the Hutt

It's just a way of kicking the fans in the teeth. Bad Lucasfilm. VERY Bad.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was hilarious!!!!!!!:D

SplFrcsCWO
06-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Did I miss the part where operating costs are an issue? I thought we were debating paying for early/exclusive info.

scruffziller
06-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by SplFrcsCWO
Did I miss the part where operating costs are an issue?

I think we are debating where the 2 seperate.

jrosen
06-07-2003, 04:47 PM
The problem I see is that we are paying for an unfinished item. It's like pc games. All the time they promise something, but the developer had to leave it out when the game ships. Once the developer finished its orginal idea it's usually, and I use usually very liberally, added to the game via a free patch. I think that if Lucas was not going to finish the Control Ship scene, then he should have placed it on a site where it could only be acessed by the owners of the Episode 2 DVD. This to me would be a patch.

On the other hand, if Lucas had spent more money finishing the scene so it looks like every other scene in the movie, then this can be an upgrade and a nominal fee could be assessed.

In terms of paying for regular web information, I don't believe that this should be done. The main point of the website is advertising and selling their products. Without the fans, Star Wars is just another movie. By catering to the fans, as Lucas has done in the past, by creating a website, it keeps people interested in the movies. In the long run, this means more money will be spent on toys, clothes, media, ect. If he eliminated the website, then he would lose out.

I feel this is what is going to happen once fans stop visiting the site. By charging for content that is not finished, casual visitors will stop viewing the website.

aikman8_1999
06-09-2003, 10:09 AM
This is lucas's knee jerk reaction to 'how do we stop piraters of star wars dvd's'.

Paying additional $ to get 'insider' info on the film seems a bit harsh, after all us fans are the ones that are selling his movie for him.

This is stuff that should be on the dvds that we all buy.

The price is ridiculous, $20 a month , whatever.

If lucas made a insider dvd every month for 15 to 20 bucks with 6 hours of insider footage and info i might consider it, but for online content , no way...

aikman8_1999
06-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Sorry, mis-spoke,
"How do we still make $ when people are pirating our movie."

By selling the same stuff you would get on a dvd a few months ahead of time and selling it on the web.

This is the probably the reason we dont have empire on dvd yet, all his 'resources' are busy scamming us in other ways...