PDA

View Full Version : Ahnuld hosts 100 Heroes & Villains

Eternal Padawan
06-03-2003, 05:37 PM
I think I'll watch this tonight. Anybody wanna place bets? Soooo, is it like 50 of each? Or 100 of each? Is it every other one or completely random? Is #1 a hero or a villain? Where do you think Vader is? Or Luke? Spidey? 007? Hannibal Lechter? The Alien Queen? Blofeld? Darth Maul? Wolverine? Batman? Superman? John McClane? Will Ahnuld make it onto BOTH lists?

By the way, have you ever noticed that every time somebody writes an article about Schwarznegger, they spell his name like he pronounces it. They think they are being clever. But everybody does it. I bet the man hasn't had his name properly printed in twenty years. That's gotta suck for him. ;)

El Chuxter
06-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Vader is consistently in the top spot of most polls for best villain, so he should definitely be up there. I saw a couple of minor spoilers, and the Terminator was, I think, #13.

My money's definitely on some characters from X-Men showing up, though I doubt they will. Logan, Magnus, and Jubilation definitely belong on that list! (Oh, it's "heroes and villains," not "heroes, villains, and really cool characters with less than one minute of screen time.")

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2003, 06:50 PM
I think the show would be even more interesting if the host was Rainier Wolfcastle or Hans unt Franz from SNL.

I betting that the format will be a hero(ine) and his/her counterpart villain. I checked out the website for the show and it seemed that they had the heroes paired off with the corresponding villain so I believe they'll do it in pairs.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Freddy made the list at 40! Hot damn, he got his dues, but he was a badder dude than some of those who ranked above him.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah! Obi-Wan got 37!

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Oh man, Cool Hand Luke made it on the list! I love that movie

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Julia Roberts made it in at 31.:rolleyes:

Has anyone else noticed how her level of acting has eroded since Erin Brockovich?

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 09:53 PM
The Star Wars Tally so far:

Obi-Wan - 37
Han Solo - 14

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 09:57 PM
I bet Lobot takes the #1 spot. Come on, Lobot!

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 10:02 PM
I think R5-D4 takes the #1 hero spot!

Surely we'll get an acurate figure now.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 10:06 PM
I guess Vader is going to rank kind of high, huh.

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Would it be possible for good ol' Darth to take both #1 spots? I mean he did wipe out the Jedi and kill the Emperor. How much more balanced can you get?

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 10:13 PM
My Top 10 Heroes

10. Robocop
9. Luke Skywalker
8. George Newman
7. Ash
6. T-800 from T2
5. Ben from Night of the Living Dead
4. Blade
3. Roddy P.'s character from They Live
2. Indiana Jones
1. Lobot

Let's see how many I can get in the Top 10!

My Top 10 Villians

10. Lecter
9. The Thing (1982)
8. ZOMBIES!
7. Evil Ash
6. Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs
5. The killer from Se7en
4. Morlocks!
3. Ash's Evil Hand
2. Gage Creed, how can a man kill his own son again.
1. Darth Vader

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Ash Rules!

Props to Lobot for being the strong, silent type.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Hero who is so nice he says his name twice? I wonder if they mean Bond, James Bond?

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Sounds about right.

Doesn't look good for any more SW characters on the Hero side. I guess Luke & Leia were in the bottom 50.

Vader looks like he'll be taking one of the top Villain spots.

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Booo Hisss!

Vader should be #1!!!!

AT-AT Man
06-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Vader is number 3

DarthChuckMc
06-03-2003, 10:52 PM
out of the original 400 nominees on the ballot, SW had

Vader(v)
Obiwan (PT h)
Obiwan (OT h)
Han (h)
Luke (h)
Leia (h)

Harrison Ford had 6 nominations.

John Book (Witness)
Indiana J.
Han
Deckard (Bladerunner)
Jack Ryan
Dr. Kimball (The Fugitive)

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Oh man, Hannibal! I love the character! A villian you actually want to see win. Oh Hopkins, you played him well. I'm not upset by the villian winner.

Now let's see who got the number one hero.........Oh boy, To Kill A Mockingbird, I'm done with this list. Where's the Robocop love?

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2003, 11:44 PM
No nod to the #1 B movie actor Bruce Campbell, either. Shame! What a Shame!

Darth Jax
06-04-2003, 12:14 AM
i'm cool with lecter being #1, but vader shoulda been #2. i'd have ranked regan, bruce (the shark), and freddy much higher.

thought it was great that han made the top 50, but no mention of the whiny farmboy who gets all the credit. hadn't thought about ol atticus but definitely felt bogart and bond deserved there high ranking spots.

OC47150
06-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Remember, we're talking about mainstream audiences voting for heroes and villans, not die-hard fans like us. Yes, I, too, am disappointed Luke wasn't in the top 50, especially since he was in the opening credits.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2003, 10:23 AM
I was totally bewildered by last night's show. Marge from flippin' Fargo and Erin Brockovich ranked higher than OB1?! Some wacky voting there!

All Margie did was grill William H. Macy about some friggin' car and shoot that guy who chopped up Steve Buscemi in the leg. At least Obi-Wan was good enough to merit his appearance in six movies.

Luke should have been in the top 50. Especially after he was shown ad nauseum in the ads.

One other big peeve of mine is HAL-9000 being labeled a villain. Not so much that he was listed as a villain on the show but more that all the star commentators who talked about him said he was pure evil. If they had watched the movie and the sequel they'd know what they were saying was totally wrong. To me it seemed that none of those talking heads except for maybe Robert Englund had really ever seen any of those movies they were talking about and really knew what their messages were.

mrmiller
06-04-2003, 11:15 AM
AFI's lists have always been a joke. :rolleyes:

=MATT=

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Seriously, how the patootie did Karen Silkwood make the list and Ash, Jack Ryan, and LUKE SKYWALKER get missed?

And where was Ernst Stavro Blofeld? Petting that darn white cat and calmly ordering his own minions executed for their failures, as well as trying to nail 007 for like a dozen movies doesn't rate?

OC47150
06-05-2003, 08:40 AM
In response to Sidiously Darth's comment, the AFI probably never heard of Bruce Campbell.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Seriously, how the patootie did Karen Silkwood make the list and Ash, Jack Ryan, and LUKE SKYWALKER get missed?

My guess is that they wanted to acknowledge Meryl Streep in some way so they picked that character. I never saw Silkwood and rarely ever hear of it. I supposed you can just chalk that one up to industry insiders.

When you mean Ash, are you talking about the android from Alien or Army of Darkness?

El Chuxter
06-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Clarice was way too high on that list, and "Martians" as a villain was the biggest cop out I've ever seen.

How could they show clips of AOTC for Obi-Wan and Vader (not to mention TPM for Obi-Wan) and not include any ESB or ROTJ clips for Han? No line embodies Han better than "I know."

Oh, and Hannibal Lector shouldn't be #1. Scary as anything, but he's too one-dimensional IMHO.

icatch9
06-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Yea, I was floored by this list too. I liked the show, but the top choices were pretty lame.

I mean who the hell thinks of a lawyer when they think of the greatest movie hero of all time. I don't care how noble or righ he was. He's a lawyer. Forgive me for being a fan of Star Wars, but as a movie fan too Luke Skywalker deserved to be on that list as much as any of them. Saying that there are 50 greater heros than Luke Skywalker is horrible. Fanboy or not it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Boo for the commity who votes on this list. A very big Boooo!

InsaneJediGirl
06-12-2003, 09:57 PM
I was not all to pleased on who was on the list or what Hero/Villian diserved what number.I think 'Mommy Dearest' should have got a better number,along with 'Creature of the Black Lagoon'.Both are better films than most listed:happy:

Vader #3?Should have switched Lector and Vader in the numbering:D

Dr Zoltar
06-13-2003, 01:04 PM
So how entertaining was the program? I didn't watch because I'm not into the "See how America ranks the top whatever" programs. Which includes American Idol and its clones...

Vader will always be the #1 villian to me.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Top 50 Heroes

1. Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck), "To Kill a Mockingbird."

2. Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

3. James Bond (Sean Connery), "Dr. No."

4. Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), "Casablanca."

5. Will Kane (Gary Cooper), "High Noon."

6. Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster), "The Silence of the Lambs."

7. Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone), "Rocky."

8. Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), "Aliens."

9. George Bailey (James Stewart), "It's a Wonderful Life."

10. T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole), "Lawrence of Arabia."

11. Jefferson Smith (James Stewart), "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."

12. Tom Joad (Henry Fonda), "The Grapes of Wrath."

13. Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), "Schindler's List."

14. Han Solo (Harrison Ford), "Star Wars."

15. Norma Rae Webster (Sally Field), "Norma Rae."

16. Shane (Alan Ladd), "Shane."

17. Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood), "Dirty Harry."

18. Robin Hood (Errol Flynn), "The Adventures of Robin Hood."

19. Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier), "In the Heat of the Night."

20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, (Paul Newman and Robert Redford), "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

21. Mahatma Gandhi (Ben Kingsley), "Gandhi."

22. Spartacus (Kirk Douglas), "Spartacus."

23. Terry Malloy (Marlon Brando), "On the Waterfront."

24. Thelma Dickinson and Louise Sawyer (Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon), "Thelma and Louise."

25. Lou Gehrig (Gary Cooper), "The Pride of the Yankees."

26. Superman (Christopher Reeve), "Superman."

27. Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein (Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman), "All the President's Men."

28. Juror No. 8 (Henry Fonda), "12 Angry Men."

29. Gen. George Patton (George C. Scott), "Patton."

30. Luke Jackson (Paul Newman), "Cool Hand Luke."

31. Erin Brockovich (Julia Roberts), "Erin Brockovich."

32. Philip Marlowe (Humphrey Bogart), "The Big Sleep."

33. Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand), "Fargo."

34. Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller), "Tarzan the Ape Man."

35. Alvin York (Gary Cooper), "Sergeant York."

36. Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne), "True Grit."

37. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness), "Star Wars."

38. The Tramp (Charles Chaplin), "City Lights."

39. Lassie (Pal the dog), "Lassie Come Home."

40. Frank Serpico (Al Pacino), "Serpico."

41. Arthur Chipping (Robert Donat), "Goodbye, Mr. Chips."

42. Father Edward Flanagan (Spencer Tracy), "Boys Town."

43. Moses (Charlton Heston), "The Ten Commandments."

44. Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle (Gene Hackman), "The French Connection."

45. Zorro (Tyrone Power), "The Mark of Zorro."

46. Batman (Michael Keaton), "Batman."

47. Karen Silkwood (Meryl Streep), "Silkwood."

48. The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger), "Terminator 2: Judgment Day."

49. Andrew Beckett (Tom Hanks), "Philadelphia."

50. Maximus (Russell Crowe), "Gladiator."

Top 50 Villains

1. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins), "The Silence of the Lambs."

2. Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), "Psycho."

3. Darth Vader (David Prowse, voiced by James Earl Jones), "The Empire Strikes Back."

4. The Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton), "The Wizard of Oz."

5. Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher), "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

6. Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore), "It's a Wonderful Life."

7. Alex Forrest (Glenn Close), "Fatal Attraction."

8. Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck), "Double Indemnity."

9. Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair), "The Exorcist."

10. The Queen (voiced by Lucille LaVerne), "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."

11. Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), "The Godfather Part II."

12. Alex DeLarge (Malcolm McDowell), "A Clockwork Orange."

13. HAL 9000 (voiced by Douglas Rain), "2001: A Space Odyssey."

14. The Alien (Bolaji Badejo), "Alien."

15. Amon Goeth (Ralph Fiennes), "Schindler's List."

16. Noah Cross (John Huston), "Chinatown."

17. Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates), "Misery."

18. The Shark, "Jaws."

19. Captain Bligh (Charles Laughton), "Mutiny on the Bounty."

20. Man, "Bambi."

21. Mrs. John Iselin (Angela Lansbury), "The Manchurian Candidate."

22. The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger), "The Terminator."

23. Eve Harrington (Anne Baxter), "All About Eve."

24. Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas), "Wall Street."

25. Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson), "The Shining."

26. Cody Jarrett (James Cagney), "White Heat."

27. The Martians, "War of the Worlds."

28. Max Cady (Robert Mitchum), "Cape Fear."

29. Rev. Harry Powell (Robert Mitchum), "The Night of the Hunter."

30. Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro), "Taxi Driver."

31. Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson), "Rebecca."

32. Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker (Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway), "Bonnie and Clyde."

33. Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi), "Dracula."

34. Dr. Szell (Laurence Olivier), "Marathon Man."

35. J.J. Hunsecker (Burt Lancaster), "Sweet Smell of Success."

36. Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper), "Blue Velvet."

37. Harry Lime (Orson Welles), "The Third Man."

38. Rico Bandello (Edward G. Robinson), "Little Caesar."

39. Cruella De Vil (voiced by Betty Lou Gerson), "101 Dalmatians."

40. Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund), "A Nightmare on Elm Street."

41. Joan Crawford (Faye Dunaway), "Mommie Dearest."

42. Tom Powers (James Cagney), "The Public Enemy."

43. Regina Giddens (Bette Davis), "The Little Foxes."

44. Baby Jane Hudson (Bette Davis), "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?"

45. The Joker (Jack Nicholson), "Batman."

46. Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman), "Die Hard."

47. Tony Camonte (Paul Muni), "Scarface."

48. Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey), "The Usual Suspects."

49. Auric Goldfinger (Gert Frobe), "Goldfinger."

50. Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington), "Training Day."

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2003, 10:40 AM
For the heroes, I felt that Ben Hur (Heston) should've been on the list, perhaps in place of Moses. Rooster Cogburn (Wayne), and Superman (Reeves) should've been higher. As much as I like the character, I think Indiana Jones (Ford) and James Bond (et al) should have switched places; 20-some movies to 3 is a big difference.

For villains, Alonzo Harris (Washington) was too new for me to make the list. Joan Crawford (Dunaway) should have been WAY higher. I hardly knew a lot of the villains, especially the 30s-60s females ones.

El Chuxter
06-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Hmm. I actually missed the first three or four when I saw this air, and was sort of annoyed that Alonzo Harris didn't show up. (Of course, he had already, but I didn't know it. :D) That guy was scary! :eek:

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 03:47 AM
Cosidering this is a mainstream media list, I think the Star Wars characters did reasonable well.

How Obi-Wan beat out Luke is beyond me, though. Ewan McGregor's protrayals were somewhat forgettable, and he's dead 2/3rds of the way through ANH. On top of that, I don't remember any kids clamoring for that new Ben Kenobi figure during the 80s. I would have put Luke somewhere within the top 10.

JediTricks
06-18-2003, 05:38 PM
I think the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi, specifically from ANH, had great impact on society. I remember as a kid, all the adults thought his wizardly ways and wisdom were so wonderous... ok, I'm running out of "w" words. ;) But still, I remember my grandparents quoting Obi-Wan when I was 4; I think the heroism from his character comes from a place of philosophy, restraint, and a great sense of wear he carried on his shoulders -- and only Alec Guinness could accomplish this with a handful of lines. Ewan is a great actor, but I don't think his portrayal carries the same amount of weight as the original. When I talk with people about Obi-Wan, they bring up the cantina, the training sequence aboard the Falcon, and the sacrificing himself to save the others - folks remember these scenes with great fondness, when they talk about them, it's with excitement and awe and even a little reverence. Obi-Wan teaches Luke to be a Jedi in the face of so many obsticles, thus he's heroic in both deed and word - Luke doesn't even do that, he learns and becomes a Jedi, but isn't a teacher, so in that regard Obi-Wan is more of a hero IMO.

Bobajames
06-27-2003, 12:57 AM
so Ahnuld made both lists? Is that wuhnduful?