PDA

View Full Version : Why Hayden and NOT Leo...?

JEDIpartner
11-19-2001, 10:51 AM
For those of you who may have missed this in the "Padme and her HUGE wardrobe" thread...

thanks to Co-Jo for the first pat on the back in the other thread!

Leo isn't a potato faced actor. I have a better idea of what he looks like. See for yourself and you will understand why (follow the link in the next post!)...:D

JEDIpartner
11-19-2001, 10:59 AM
try this...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?postid=21191#post21191

Co Jo-Da
11-19-2001, 11:08 AM
I think Leo would have been good but Hayden will be GREAT. I've seen him in other shows and recently in 'Life as a House', he's really a great up and coming actor. Hayden also won the screne test final against other really talented actors like Ryan Phillippe (who would have been great too as Anakin). Besides Leo is suppost to be a big time actor and GL like using unknowns for his films...

Rollo Tomassi
11-19-2001, 01:47 PM
I am fairly certain that had Leo not shot to superstardom after Titanic, G. Lu would've cast him as Anakin. He has that dark quality in his eyes, and Lucas probably had his eye on him while he was writing the treatments back in 1997. I'm glad they went with a relative unknown to play Anakin. Even Ryan Phillipe is to well known, although he would have made a good Anakin also. I'll stick with Hayden...

derek
11-19-2001, 05:34 PM
i read a while back that lucas wanted dicapprio, but leonardo wanted script approval, something lucas would not give.

actually, based on the episode 1 anakin, i think ricky schroder would of made a good anakin. he and jake lloyd look very similar, and entertainment tonight stated on their broadcast he was considered for the role(but was probably considered too old by lucas)

master jedi
11-19-2001, 07:22 PM
G. Lu. basically wanted an unnown actor for Anakin. (Like he's done with peoples roles in his other movies.) I think Hayden looks a heck of a lot more like Jake Lloyd than Leo in my mind.

bigbarada
11-19-2001, 10:02 PM
Leo stated that he would love to play Anakin and would even take a massive pay cut just to be a part of Star Wars; but he felt that the fans would have a hard time accepting him as the future Darth Vader.

Speaking of GL's tendency to choose unknowns, did anyone know that Michael Jackson was campaigning hard to play Jar Jar in Ep1? GL knew that MJ was WAAAAAYY too big of a star for Star Wars and went with Ahmed Best. Imagine what that would have been like.....:eek:

Co Jo-Da
11-20-2001, 12:10 AM
Going back to Ryan Phillippe, he did really well in his screen test and GL was considering to offer Ryan the role of Bail Organa. I read an early spy report about a love triangle between Anakin, Pademe' and BAIL ORGANA(which would have been really cool and make alot of sense) but his part was rewritten for Jimmy Smits to play Bail (whom will play a big role Episode III).

2-1B
07-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Speaking of GL's tendency to choose unknowns, did anyone know that Michael Jackson was campaigning hard to play Jar Jar in Ep1? GL knew that MJ was WAAAAAYY too big of a star for Star Wars and went with Ahmed Best. Imagine what that would have been like.....:eek:

Yes, I did. I was rereading the "Jar Jar Superstar" Rolling Stone from 1999 recently and Ahmed talks about being introduced to Michael Jackson by GL. :)

Jek Porky 2002
07-15-2002, 03:25 PM
I think that when Jake is about 18 or 19 he will look just like Hayden, G.L was spot on!

InsaneJediGirl
07-19-2002, 10:22 PM
Leo would not be a good Anakin in my opinion.One-His superstar status.Why would GL want to cast some whiningboy to play a part he could easily fill with someone unknown,less whiney/pampered,but have a great quailty

Second-Leo stinks!(IMO)And he's too short to play Anakin:D.."Yes..Too short to play the part..Hmmmm"

Ryan wouldnt have been so bad,and I think he would have been a good Bail Organa.

starwars92570
07-19-2002, 10:41 PM
I hate them both, Lucas could of made a better choice.

jet chan
07-19-2002, 11:38 PM
with the movie out and i would most of us(lets be honest all) have seen the movie and about the only thing leo could have done better then hayden is, um is..... i don't know hayden did a real good job and i really can't see anyone else doing that part

Darth Sidious
07-20-2002, 08:32 AM
Hayden was a pretty good Anakin. I am glad GL likes to use unknowns, it makes you able to relate to the characters as characters, not celebrities you see every day. For example, suppose Leonardo DiCaprio did play Anakin. You'd probably watch it and think, "Look at what Leo just did" or something like that. But with Hayden, you dont know him well enough, you probably think "Look at what Anakin just did." see my point? Besisdes, I do not want a HD Leo.

MFH
07-21-2002, 12:09 AM
I am so glad that it wasn't Leo. I can't stand the guy. I think that would have upset alot of people. It would have been just as bad as having N'Stink in the movies. Maybe worse.

sith_killer_99
07-21-2002, 10:12 AM
I agree that Leo is WAY to short to have played the role of Anakin Skywalker.

I don't like Ryan for the role either. And IMHO, Hayden just didn't do the role justice.

Though we all get to see where Luke get's that whiney thing from. LOL

Anyway, I know who would have been perfect for the role...

ME!

Yep, that's right. I am an unknown. I am the right height. I have a dark quality. I do not whine. I am more muscular than than Hayde. And I still look young enough to play the part.

OK, so there you have it. In my eyes NOONE could play the part well enough. Because the part was meant for ME!

But seriously, Hayden did not impress me. He seemed too akward in the role.

And speaking of unknowns who is that guy that played Mace whats-his-name. LOL

Pendo
07-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
And speaking of unknowns who is that guy that played Mace whats-his-name. LOL

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
HIS NAME IS MACE WINDU aka SAMUEL L. JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you say that again I'm gonna make you EAT them words!!!!!!!!!

:happy:

PENDO!

sith_killer_99
07-21-2002, 10:21 AM
LOL:D

JON9000
07-21-2002, 05:07 PM
Leonardo DiCaprio was right on when he said that fans would have a hard time accepting him as Vader. GL made a great decision in hiring an unknown.

The guy just has too much baggage- everyone would see whoever he was in Titanic instead of Anakin. Don't feel too bad for him though- he doing okay in all other aspects-

http://www.askmen.com/women/models/15_gisele_bundchen.html

scruffziller
07-23-2002, 03:49 AM
Nah Hayden a was good choice. Putting Leo in there as Anakin would haver not gone over well with the normal fanbase. JUst look at what happened when GL would have tried to put in N Sync. I mean Hayden looks like he would be from N Sync. The fact that he is practically a nobody is the only thing that kept him in and kept the hardcore fanbase happy.

Chiesa
07-23-2002, 06:04 AM
Hayden was a good choice... But personally I would have preferred Ryan Phillipe... I watched him in cruel intentions and I thought he was great as the spoilt and cruelly funny Sebastian... I think he would have given more to the show and perhaps explain why Padme would fall for him that easily! :)

But AOTC was still enjoyable and I was happy with Hayden's acting... Just a thought...

Cheers :)

tagmac
07-23-2002, 01:44 PM
Doesn't everyone remember the reaction during the trailers before Ep. I......as soon as Leo's face came onscreen, the boos were louder than I'd ever heard - and I understand this was the case all over the country. Leo is a whiny brat, and as good as titanic was, it only beat SW because of all the woman who saw it 30 times, wishing their b/f's & husbands were as "romantic" as Leo. Notice how he's done nothing of quality since then.

Casting Leo as Anakin would have been way worse than N'stink....at least they would have been throwaway characters. And as much as I hate to say it, I think A LOT of die-hard fans would have boycotted AOTC if it was DiCaprio. Kudos to Lucas for going with Hayden.

As for the comment about Sam Jackson's role, Lucas has always used bigger names in side roles. Peter Cushing and Alec Guiness certainly weren't unknowns in the OT.

Jonna
07-23-2002, 01:49 PM
I really did not care for Hayden, but Leo would have been a complete disaster. Now Leo has done decent films like "Full Eclipse" (or whatever then name of the one about the poet Rimbaud was) and the Basketball Diarys, but he has also done horrid things like Titanic (gag fest). At least I didn't have any preconceived notions about Hayden because of bad films, at least that I am aware of.

Darth Nihilus
07-23-2002, 02:21 PM
Leo doesn't have the stature to play Anakin, period.

The more I think about Philippe, I think he could've been a good choice.

But in the end I was happy with Hayden's performance.

DarthSetnom
07-24-2002, 02:36 AM
Jonna, The Bball diaries stink. Leo just can't take it to the hole. he can't play ball.

And he would have sucked in a SW movie... I would have hated having to stay out of the movie because the theater is packed with 14 year olg girls drooling over "Leo who looks great with that laser sword thing. or something"

Heck no... Thanks GL for picking HC instead of Leonardo The Crappy-O

Jedi Clint
07-24-2002, 02:55 PM
I think this picture says it all:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=46412

DarthSetnom
07-24-2002, 11:24 PM
now i feel i'm gonna throw up

Chewtobacco
07-29-2002, 11:15 PM
I think they should have cast Seann William Scott as Anikin. He could have added some sleazy humor to the whole falling in love with Padme deal. Hayden played a totally whipped, spineless punk when it came to Padme. I would've loved to see Seann trying to get in her pants! LOL

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Chewtobacco
I think they should have cast Seann William Scott as Anikin. He could have added some sleazy humor to the whole falling in love with Padme deal. Hayden played a totally whipped, spineless punk when it came to Padme. I would've loved to see Seann trying to get in her pants! LOL

Are we talking about Attack of the American Pies?:)

DarthSetnom
08-01-2002, 12:52 AM
SWS would have sucked as Anakin... this is not a teen movie with an oversexed padawan... and really HC was not that lame in the love scenes, i think he did pretty well considering his counterpart still lacks energy and doesn't seem that convinced about her part.

His best work was seen when Anakin became furious or simply anxious and impatient.

jjreason
08-01-2002, 07:32 AM
My only gripe was the "whinyness" when Ani was b****ing about Obi Wan being mean to him. I would have preferred more fury - flying off the handle and getting really mad intstead of whining. I felt that scene could have been really defining with a little more fire from HC. I thought his appearance, and romantic dealings with Nat were fine, though not brilliant. Having seen the movie, it's hard to imagine anyone else in that role - I just wish they'd chosen different takes for a number of his scenes.

JEDIpartner
08-01-2002, 08:34 AM
You know... that would have happened with ANY actor they put into that role. That was a result of direction. George would have pushed until he got that characteristic.

JEDIpartner
08-01-2002, 12:09 PM
By the way... did you notice how much Leo DiCrapio looks like this particular cartoon character?

Jedi Clint
08-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
By the way... did you notice how much Leo DiCrapio looks like this particular cartoon character?

:D