PDA

View Full Version : What is the Animatrix?

sith_killer_99
06-04-2003, 12:09 PM
OK, I still have not seen The Matrix Reloaded, but I bought The Animatrix last night and watched all 9 shorts (8 really, as two shorts are just 1 story cut in half).

I loved this movie! It is IMHO, the best main-stream animated, film to come out in almost 2 decades. This one rivals Heavy Metal!

Essentially, these are little peaks, into the Matrix and peoples experiences inside (and out) of the Matrix.

In "The Second Renaissance", which is the two part, single story, you learn all about the war between the Humans and the Machines.

This DVD is a must for any Matrix fan.

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I like in the first part of the Second Renaissance when they're beating that robot who looks female. BAM! with the hammer! Anyway, I enjoyed the ones I saw online, haven't seen the unreleased ones on the dvd yet.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2003, 05:01 PM
I haven't bought it yet because I downloaded the four freebies and burned them. They were pretty satisfying so I feel no need to plop down around $18 for about 30 min. of entertainment. I'm hoping that they'll eventually be included in a future Matrix film DVD.

Pendo
06-05-2003, 11:35 AM
I got this DVD on monday, but am a little unsure about it yet. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of Animé so I'm not surprised I'm unsure about it, some of the storys are good, but the odd one or two was a waste of 5 minutes of my life :rolleyes:.

Anyways it makes some aspects of The Matrix a little more understandable :).

PENDO!

Jedi Clint
06-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
OK, I still have not seen The Matrix Reloaded, but I bought The Animatrix last night and watched all 9 shorts (8 really, as two shorts are just 1 story cut in half).

I loved this movie! It is IMHO, the best main-stream animated, film to come out in almost 2 decades. This one rivals Heavy Metal!

Essentially, these are little peaks, into the Matrix and peoples experiences inside (and out) of the Matrix.

In "The Second Renaissance", which is the two part, single story, you learn all about the war between the Humans and the Machines.

This DVD is a must for any Matrix fan.

Hey SK,

Can you write up a little "high-points" for the story and visual elements of the five shorts that weren't available for download?

James Boba Fettfield
06-05-2003, 01:35 PM
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/410/410155p1.html

There's some stills and a bit of the explanation to the style used in the shorts, Clint.

Jedi Clint
06-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Hey thanks JBF. :)

aceguide
06-05-2003, 02:32 PM
This is very interesting. Went to the link provided (tanks) ans it was very useful. Wondering what you thought the highlights, and lowlights were.

jjreason
06-08-2003, 03:25 AM
Osiris good, Matriculated bad. Those are my high and low points so far, though things grow on me or wear themselves out over time.

jpak001
06-08-2003, 04:46 AM
I love this DVD!! I really enjoyed all the episodes, they were all excellent in their own different ways. Each story is done in a completely different style than the other (except 2nd renaissance parts 1 & 2 which is really like one big episode).

I've watched it a few times already and can still say that I love every episode. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably have to be 2nd Renaissance 1 and 2 though.

If you're an Anime fan, or a Matrix fan you should definitely check this one out!

sith_killer_99
06-08-2003, 11:10 AM
I love this DVD!! I really enjoyed all the episodes, they were all excellent in their own different ways. Each story is done in a completely different style than the other (except 2nd renaissance parts 1 & 2 which is really like one big episode).

I think the different styles are what make this such a unique and attractive piece. Sure some are better than others. There are bound to be some that people just don't like. But overall, I think this is a great addition to the Matrix trilogy.

I can see them releasing a super-duper-ultra-cool-deluxe set with all 3 Matrix Movies along with The Animatrix, some time next year, maybe in time for Christmas. Heck, maybe they will even add a couple more stories to The Animatrix for this "Box set" release.:D We can always hope.

mini-rock
06-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Yeah I'm sure a box set will come out eventually, but for now $20.00 is nothing for this awesome DVD.:)