PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Pixar delivers again. While this movie is as breathtaking visually as any of their other stuff, I continually forgot I was watching CGI and got immersed in the story. Maybe it was the nigh perfect voice casting or maybe it was the storyline, but I was simply amazed. The KnickKnack short at the beginning was great too ,as was the trailer for the Incredibles.

So I thought the shark named Bruce was a gag reference to the old Monty Python sketch( G'day Bruce!) and laughed, but then a friend told me it was referencing the shark from Jaws whom Spielberg named after his lawyer. Oh well, either way works.

What'd you guys think?

bobafrett
06-04-2003, 11:33 PM
I loved it, saw it opening weekend with my son. I was a little frightened by the opening 10 minutes for the young children, and if you have seen it, you'll know what I mean, but they handeled it well. After that, it was so funny. I loved the seagulls, who knew one word repeated could be so funny! Nemo Rocks!

Darth Jax
06-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Nemo was a blast. thought ellen made the movie, much like eddie did for shrek. looking forward to when the out-takes will be added in a week or two to drive repeat viewings (i'll just wait for them on dvd though).

CloneTrooperMace
06-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Pixar delivers again. While this movie is as breathtaking visually as any of their other stuff, I continually forgot I was watching CGI and got immersed in the story. Maybe it was the nigh perfect voice casting or maybe it was the storyline, but I was simply amazed. The KnickKnack short at the beginning was great too ,as was the trailer for the Incredibles.

So I thought the shark named Bruce was a gag reference to the old Monty Python sketch( G'day Bruce!) and laughed, but then a friend told me it was referencing the shark from Jaws whom Spielberg named after his lawyer. Oh well, either way works.

What'd you guys think?

Haven't seen it right now,it look good from what I have seen.The makes of "Monster Inc." made it.Monster inc was funny so I know that it will be great when it comes to hbo :D

bobafrett
06-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
Nemo was a blast. thought ellen made the movie, much like eddie did for shrek. looking forward to when the out-takes will be added in a week or two to drive repeat viewings (i'll just wait for them on dvd though).

I was waiting after the show as the credits rolled to see if they had any out takes from the movie. That may explain why, I forgot they did that for Toy Story too.

Darth Jax
06-07-2003, 09:38 AM
the shorts pixar includes before their movies or as entertaining as the movies themselves. the preview for the disney's bear movie (can't remember the actual title) was hilarious. looking forward to seeing that movie to see the mckenzie moose.

aceguide
06-09-2003, 11:13 AM
I though Nemo was another solid instalment from Pixar. I would have to admit that the story definitely slowed at a few junctures.

However, I have found this animation style to be very solid, and they keep wrangling in some incredible voices.

Overall I would recommend it, but I would not say it is the best thus far.

El Chuxter
06-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Pixar is probably the only major studio left who consistently produces great films. This is the first time I've "seen" Ellen Degeneres in anything where she didn't annoy me to no end.

Oh, and. . . .

"Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!"

:crazed::Pirate:

bobafrett
06-10-2003, 01:56 AM
Oh, how I love the seagulls! Not the 80's band either.
(Flock of Seagulls)

Eternal Padawan
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
"I shall call him squishy and he shall be my squishy."

EricRG
06-16-2003, 02:17 AM
Wow. Glad you guys liked it. I found it mostly boring, although visually quite good. I especially enjoyed seeing the tunicate known as the sea squirt in the movie. I love tunicates.

But overall, IMO, I wasted $8.50 and 90 minutes seeing this movie. I'd FAR rather watch Little Mermaid.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-16-2003, 04:17 AM
I saw this flick this past weekend and loved it. Pixar has yet to disappoint me. It was as if you were in the middle of a living ocean. There was so much detail in the backgrounds and characters. I must say that on a scale of pixar films, this is prolly my 2nd fave (behind Toy Story 2). The voice casting was perfect. Ellen DeGeneres was flippin' hysterical (that squishy thing had me laughing for about 10 min). Albert Brooks was great as well. Though, everytime i hear his voice, i can't help but to think of good ole' Hank Scorpio on "The simpsons" (In fact, I didn't even give you my coat!- this last quote will only be humorous to fellow simpsons dorks :D)

What i did miss was that they couldn't really "personalize" the characters. Like in in the "Toy Story" flicks, you could sort of "see" the actors in their character. I mean, you could look at Woody and through his facial expressions and actions, it reminded you of Tom Hanks and same for buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen). Then again, these are fish and whatnot, not figures, but still, it was always funny for me to notice this when watching the "Toy Story" flicks.

Lastly, that lil' creature in the Dentists office that had that french accent, he KILLED me. When i saw him standing there and his antennae were like one of those mustaches, that was just classic. I also enjoyed Darla. She reminded me too much of Sid, that crazy toy destroyer. Alright, i'm done. :D

kool-aid killer
06-16-2003, 07:41 AM
Took my younger brother to see this about a week ago and we both enjoyed it. I thought it looked awesome and the story wasnt too bad. My only concern about this movie was that i felt Ellen would ruin this movie but she ended up adding to it. The seagulls were funny but i they reminded me of my nephew, who also only seems to know the word "mine." I probably wont go back to see it at the local cinema but will certainly pick up the DVD.

darthvyn
06-16-2003, 10:59 AM
i saw it, and thought it was great... willem dafoe as the leader of the tank fish was awesome... i will definitely be viewing this one again at the cinemas as soon as they add the outtakes...

bobafrett
06-17-2003, 12:28 AM
I'm definitly going to pick this one up on DVD, and I will stop and see it again at the theatre. The Starfish in the fish tank I found to be a bit of side comic relief.

RooJay
06-23-2003, 08:29 PM
I actually got to visit Pixar's facilities when this movie was still in production (a couple of my best buddies work for them - his name is even in the credits), and it was awesome! There was tons of pre-production artwork, model sheets, and maquettes on display all over the building (which was actually predominantly decorated in a Monster's Inc. theme; my friend has told me that their supposed to be redecorated in a Nemo theme by now). Interesting to note, it seems as though most of Pixar's employees are major action figure fans - every desk, office and cubicle is literally dripping with toys! Including a good deal of stuff that I hadn't even known existed! One guy, who seems to be a big Lego fan, even had the gigantic Lego Star Destroyer set well before I had thought it was available! The sucker was truly gigantic! This same guy even had an entire Lego castle (complete with towers, arches, battlements and plenty of Lego Knights, guards and archers) bulit around his desk! I'd say this thing was roughly four feet wide, by three feet deep and about five feet high! I even got to see their voice-over studio - they had a wall that was covered with the signatures of a lot of the actors who've voiced Pixar characters! I've been told that they are an awesome company to work for. Plus, they only seem to make good movies to boot!

Exhaust Port
06-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Wow, a tour of Pixar! I'm jealous.

Tonysmo
06-25-2003, 12:47 AM
color me jealous as well.. what fun a tour of that place would be. I really thought the movie was great, not just visually but mucho grande entertaining.. the sharks, the seagulls, pretty much all of the creatures were great. gonna be a must have DVD for me.

bobafrett
06-25-2003, 01:58 AM
My son and I went to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago yesterday, and I was looking for some of the characters from Nemo, like the clown fish, and the turtles. It was cool, and now I'm dieing to see it again, Nemo that is.

Dr Zoltar
06-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Just heard on the news tonight that children are trying to purchase clown fish from pet stores and "setting them free" by flushing them down the toilet. I bet some kids have no idea what a septic system is...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-25-2003, 01:29 PM
lol That's really freakin' funny stuff...in a morbid sort of way. :D

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 11:16 PM
I just got back from seeing Nemo for the first time. It was a really good story and visuals but I just can't call it a great movie. I've come to expect quite a few laughs thoughout a Pixar movie and I chuckled only a few times and wouldn't call any of them a laugh. It let me down just a bit.

JEDIpartner
07-07-2003, 09:46 AM
I saw this movie over the weekend and it rocked! This was the first time that Ellen DeGeneres was funny... ever!!!

RooJay
07-07-2003, 11:59 AM
You said it! After we saw the movie for the first time, my girlfriend commented that Ellen Degeneres was pretty funny as Dory. I agreed and told her how strange I thought that was since she's never been funny before.

I visited Pixar again this Saturday. It was pretty neat to see how they had changed everything over from the Monster's decor to Nemo. There was preproduction art hanging everywhere, maquettes under glass all over the place, television interview rooms filled with Nemo banners and decorations (and some awesome gigantic plush of all the characters!), and a huge full-color statue of Bruce the shark staring down Marlin and Dory just like he did in the movie right in front of the door in the main lobby! God, how I love that place!

bobafrett
07-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Has anyone seen the large shark "Bruce" with Dory and Nemo's dad (name slips my mind) sculptural display in the theatre lobby? I love three demensional stuff, and the AMC Theatres in the Illinois area have had these huge displays for both Nemo and Monsters Inc. I imagine it was quite costly to put them out.

RooJay
07-07-2003, 12:52 PM
That's actually the same one that's in Pixar's lobby except theirs is much bigger. They also have Mike and Sully that are similar to the ones given away at TRU last year in their computer room (used to be in the lobby before the switch to Nemo), but they are also a bit bigger I believe.