PDA

View Full Version : Anakin's Choice(s)

Jedi Clint
06-05-2003, 01:35 PM
From Dark Horizons -

Star Wars: Episode III: The latest SW Homing Beacon newsletter talked with designer Ian McCaig about the last prequel and the guy has spoiled a bit about the plot and more specifically Anakin's fall into darkness: "In Episode I, when we saw Jake Lloyd, we wondered whereís the dark side? Why isnít this kid creepy? And then, in Episode II, Hayden Christensen came across as a justifiably angry teenager more than a kid who crosses over to the true dark side. Killing the Sand People... they killed his mom! I could go mad and do something like that. So, I kept waiting for the dark side to take hold. In this film, you realize, itís more about Anakin making the wrong choices. Heís given a glorious moment by George -- Iím so happy with part of the script -- where he truly has to make a choice. In the end, I think thatís a smarter way to go than a slow transformation. Itís more tragic this way".

I'm thinking that the glorious moment McCaig is refering to takes place in or before Anakin's duel with Obi Wan.

Dar Basra
06-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Quite possibly, immediately before, thereby precipitating Obi-Wan's need to fight him.

plo koon 200
06-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Then again maybe not. However, it gets me excited. You know something quotes like that make it so I can barley wait for the movie. Thank god I know have a crappy webcam at hyperspace.

Brainiak76
06-06-2003, 07:18 PM
WHOA!! thats some good news to hear! man i cant wait till summer 05!!!

Hellboy
06-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah this is probably the most interesting plot point revealed so far. I could see Anakin making the choice to kill (possibly a Jedi or Jedi's) and once he does that he solidifies his decision to embrace the dark side of the force and abandon the ways of the Jedi. That would definately prompt the fight to the finish between Obi-Wan.

plo koon 200
06-07-2003, 05:58 PM
I imagine that whateve choice he must make he will have no way out and neither one will be good but he will have no choice. Here's hoping.

The 'Xir
06-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
I imagine that whateve choice he must make he will have no way out and neither one will be good but he will have no choice. Here's hoping.

I know what your getting at, but there in lies the problem! Anakin may feel pressured, as sometimes we all do in tense life pressures and tough decisions, but there obviously is a way out. Hell, Luke even went as far as self sacrafice then to give in to the darkside!!! Actually he was willing to die 2 or 3 times for the sake of his friends! But, that's what Anakins' biggest hang up is, as we all can have when growing up, he's selfish, impatient, arrogant and doesn't take the time to think out his actions before he takes them! I hate to say it 'cause it does come across akeward on screen, but I think Lucas has captured what most everyday teenagers go through when growing up(not the situation obviously but how he handles the situations he's in)? Think how many times when you were young or maybe now, that you flew off the handle at your parents or your friends and then felt embarressed about it later or thought of a better way you could have handled it!
So, Anakin probably will be given what seems like a no win decision to make, which hopefully will be intense on screen, but there is always a way out! Also, sometimes friends and family who intend good things for you, sometimes can put you in situations that force you to do something you might normally not want to do. So we may see that it just may not be Palpatines' twisted schemeing that leads Anakin down the dark path, but the Jedi or Ben may just as well Force Anakin into a bad situation to aide in his bad decisions! It's almost like Anakin is so powerful, that the Jedi really don't know what to do with him or how to handle him! They themselves may not know how to best utilize his power and potential, which inturn 'causes their own downfall!

plo koon 200
06-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
So we may see that it just may not be Palpatines' twisted schemeing that leads Anakin down the dark path, but the Jedi or Ben may just as well Force Anakin into a bad situation to aide in his bad decisions! It's almost like Anakin is so powerful, that the Jedi really don't know what to do with him or how to handle him! They themselves may not know how to best utilize his power and potential, which inturn 'causes their own downfall!
Or, maybe the Jedi begin to have to much faith in him and his powers after they see what he is capable of in the Clone Wars. Besides, Mace kind of seems oblivious as to what is really going on in Anakin's head.

Dar Basra
06-09-2003, 11:02 AM
I think GL already foreshadowed the big decision, when in AOTC Padme fell out of the gunship and Anakin wanted to turn around and get her, but Obi said 'You do and you'll be expelled from the Jedi Order" or something like that. Given GL's predilection for parallel and recurrent themes, I would expect the final big decision to be a similar situation, with possibly even bigger stakes, and Anakin saying "then to heck with the Jedi Order - I don't need you", or something like that.

plo koon 200
06-09-2003, 10:28 PM
You're probably right Dar Barsa.

Jedi Clint
06-11-2003, 01:59 AM
I'm still of the mind that Lucas will tie Anakin's fall to the other prominent story unfolding in E3. That being the demise of the Republic and rise of an Empire. The love between Anakin and Padme would be a victim of these events, as would Anakin's friendship with Kenobi. The galaxy is changing around these characters.

The opening battle.......the end of the Clone Wars. Anakin's eventual seat at Palpatine's side must first be taken from Lord Tyranus. As that would cripple the separatist forces, it also facilitates the transition to an Empire. I've yet to abandon my theory that Palpatine negotiates a treaty with the leaders of the Confederacy in which they pledge their loyalty to Palpatine's leadership, not the Republic. From here the story gets small and personal. At some point during those events, Padme has told Obi about Anakin's decent into darkness and her pregnancy. Obi Wan is off to confront Anakin ending in a duel.

Back to Anakin's choice. Anakin has worked hard for his place in the new order. His friendship with Palpatine is important as well. Who knows how long the two have had private time in the Supreme Chancellor's office over the years. The glimpse we get of such activity in AOTC suggests that while his mentor reprimands him, Palpatine lavishes him with praise. Shouldn't his "choice" concern the woman he loves as well as loyalty to one mentor or the other? He might have neglected her for the past few months, but he was serving the greater good. Kenobi reaches him before any "making-up" can occur between them. His mind doesn't dwell on the woman he's been neglecting, it is focused on the man he once respected and regarded as a friend. The same man that is now telling him that everything he's worked for is a lie. The same man that "held him back". You get the point.

Padme has the twins. The remaining Jedi go into hiding. They spend their time trying to escape from bounty hunters and rally leaders to their cause - a new rebellion against Emporer Palpatine.

Does Vader want to find Padme? Does he believe she would accept someone so mutilated (emotionally and physically)? Do the Jedi fake her demise in order to protect her?

In the conclusion to the "mystery of the Sith" - Mace, Yoda, and Obi Wan should come to know the truth. What vehicle delivers them? Deductive reasoning? An admission or exposition? Either way, the Jedi decide to rebel against Palpatine's Empire as a result.

The history of the Samurai in Japan:

Some felt the capitol of Japan was massively corrupt and decided to relocate the capitol in order to eliminate the corruption. As some were content with things as they were, there was conflict. In the end, the Emporer of Japan unified both sides and his power increased. The samurai were replaced by a central military. Some took new positions in the government while others regrouped and their rebellion ended in their destruction.

Palpatine's story and the Japanese Emporer's success seem to be playing out in similar fashion. I expect the story of the Jedi and the Samurai to play out the same as well.

I am Jabba the Hutt
06-18-2003, 05:04 PM
hell, if Obi-Wan had been in the Lars garage after Anakin's mom perished, I think Anakin would have engaged Obi-Wan in combat. I mean, Anakin has a temper and if he gets angry, he'll open up a serious can of whoopass. It just so happens that in Episode III, when Anakin gets angry, he's in the presence of Obi-Wan.

Trust me... I know ;)