PDA

View Full Version : No Thor, but Cage fans might be happy

James Boba Fettfield
06-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Coming off its amazing success with "Spider-Man," Columbia Pictures has picked up the rights to Marvel Studios character "Luke Cage," one of the comic book industry's most recognizable black superheroes.

Columbia is moving forward on the project, tapping Ben Ramsey ("The Big Hit") to write the script. Marvel's Avi Arad will produce, along with Neal Moritz's studio-based Original Films.

"Cage" is about a former gang member who is framed for a crime. In prison, he volunteers for a medical experiment that goes awry, giving him superstrength and bulletproof skin. Using his newfound powers, Cage escapes and becomes a hero for hire.

Cage's archenemy is Willy Stryker, a former childhood friend from Harlem. The two committed petty crimes together, and both fell for the same woman, Reva Connors, which led to their eventual falling out.

It was Stryker who framed Cage for a drug deal that sent him to prison.

The comic book, initially titled "Luke Cage, Hero for Hire," debuted in the 1970s and ran until the mid-'80s.

Cage, who picked up the moniker Power Man, eventually teamed with a character called Iron Fist, a martial artist. "Iron Fist" is a Marvel property in development at Artisan Entertainment.

"Cage" is the studio's third project with Marvel, a relationship that began with the hugely successful collaboration on "Spider-Man," which prompted an upcoming sequel.

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2003, 04:52 PM
I read somewhere Deathlok just got optioned too.
Deathlok would make a sweet movie!

Way better than a jive talkin' Power Man movie.

El Chuxter
06-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Cage and Deathlok!! Woo!!

Hopefully it's the cool pacifist-mind-in-a-war-machine-body Deathlok from ten years ago. :cool:

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2003, 06:59 PM
This is dated September 1, 2001.

Yet another obscure comic book character will be coming soon to a theater near you. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel Studios (the cinematic sister company of Marvel Comics) and Paramount Pictures are joining forces to bring the Marvel character Deathlok to the silver screen. Stu Zickerman and Raven Mentzner will pen the script, which THR claims is "about a suburban family man who is unwittingly made a test subject for technology research that slowly turns him into a living computer." Marvel's producing partner in this venture will be Crystal Sky Productions, who are also producing the feature film version of Marvel's Ghost Rider. Marvel Studios honcho Avi Arad explained to THR what makes Deathlok a timely tale for the big screen: "We are all becoming more dependent on technology. One of these days it's going to be inside of us. For example, we won't need a cell phone; it'll be built into our ear. Now is that a cool thing, or will it destroy us as human beings? Deathlok explores what those consequences may be."

Arad also engaged in some truly hilarious hyperbole when he advised The Comics Continuum that "Deathlok is going to be one of the greatest movies we ever make because the movie is so amazing. It's fantastic, really an amazing story." Only Ah-nuld could top that line of spin. In related news, The Continuum also spoke with Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige who addressed recent Web rumors that Drake Hogestyn was up for the title role in Daredevil. Feige dismissed the reports as "not even worth shooting down." Ouch.

A good bio on Deathlok can be found at The Unofficial Handbook of the Marvel Universe. Deathlok is actually former CIA agent Luther Manning who was critically injured during war games and his ravaged body then diverted "for use in Project: Alpha-Mech, a covert operation whose purpose was to create cyborg super-soldiers. Manning's brain, nervous system, and still-living tissue were transplanted into a synthetic body ... Manning awoke from the weeks-long operation in a body that was partially his own and with a mini-computer occupying a portion of his brain. He was given the code-name Deathlok. ... Over 75% of Luther Manning's body was replaced with cybernetics, including and most notably a micro-processor within Manning's skull. Besides enhancing his physical attributes and intuition, this allows him the benefit of an armored body and enhanced senses, including infrared/ultraviolet vision, telescopic enhancement, and audio amplification. Manning also carries a knife, although his primary weapon is a special laser pistol that runs off his own power supply."

Then there's this from a few days ago:

IGN FilmForce has learned from reliable sources that none other than Lee Tamahori (Die Another Day) is the frontrunner to direct Paramount's live-action adaptation of the Marvel Comics character, Deathlok. Stu Zickerman and Raven Mentzner have penned the screenplay for Marvel Studios and Crystal Sky Productions. New Zealand-born Tamahori has also directed Along Came a Spider, The Edge, Mulholland Falls and Once Were Warriors.

The Hollywood Reporter has claimed that Deathlok will be "about a suburban family man who is unwittingly made a test subject for technology research that slowly turns him into a living computer." Marvel Studios honcho (and Deathlok producer) Avi Arad explained to THR back in September 2001 what makes Deathlok a timely tale: "We are all becoming more dependent on technology. One of these days it's going to be inside of us. For example, we won't need a cell phone; it'll be built into our ear. Now is that a cool thing, or will it destroy us as human beings? Deathlok explores what those consequences may be."

A good bio on Deathlok can be found at The Marvel Directory, which tells us that after U.S. Army Colonel Luther Manning was critically injured, his "superior, Major Simon Ryker, salvaged his body for use in Project: Alpha-Mech, a covert operation whose purpose was to create cyborg super-soldiers. Manning's brain, nervous system, and still living tissue were transplanted into a synthetic body in an operation performed by Major Ryker's brother Harlan Ryker (code-named Hellinger). ... Manning awoke from the weeks-long operation in a body that was partially his own and with a mini-computer occupying a portion of his cranium. He was given the code-name Deathlok. At first an unwilling agent of Ryker, Deathlok broke free of his control and became a free agent."

That's all I could find on Deathlok.

El Chuxter
06-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Odd. It seems like the movie will be on the Deathlok I like (the second one), but the bio the articles reference is on either the lame first one or the lame second one (both of whom should be named "Alex Murphy").

JediTricks
06-10-2003, 12:02 AM
*phew!* For a second there, I thought they had cast Nicholas Cage as Thor. :D

bobafrett
06-10-2003, 02:59 AM
That's what I read when I saw the title of this thread. Curiosity killed this cat, had to come take a peak.

James Boba Fettfield
06-10-2003, 06:59 AM
But I was able to bring you both in here to take a look. Excellent work on my part.

Eternal Padawan
06-10-2003, 03:22 PM
I see Mr. T as Cage. "Foo! None of yo' jibba jabba!" ;)

Maybe Grimace and Optimus can cameo...