PDA

View Full Version : How cool is that?

DarthChuckMc
06-05-2003, 02:46 PM
My Grandma, Nanny as she is affectionatly known, was cleaning out some old boxes, getting rid of old papers and sorting through photos and such. She came across something that I think was really cool, and never expected to see again. When I was 5 years old, in 1977, my Nanny took me to a local comic store. The only reason we stopped there, was because they had a life size handmade Darth Vader statue, standing out front on the sidewalk. At the time, Star Wars merchandise was slim, a few patches, some posters, trading cards, and 8x10 black & white glossys from the movie. Well, that day, she bought me a few patches, a couple of packs of cards, and about 6 of the different 8x10s. I immediatly took them home, and being 5, started coloring in the B&W with colored markers. Before I could ruin all 6 of the glossys, she grabbed 2 of them and put them aside for later. Well, later turned out to be 26 years later. Today, she walked in my room and handed me an 8x10 B&W glossy of Darth Vader standing in the halls of the Tantive IV, and C-3PO and R2-D2 standing in the desert near a moisture vaporator. Both in prestine condition, like they were just printed off the negative.

How cool is that?

Does anyone else have a similar story where you've found something you forgot you had, or a relative gives you somehting neat they were holding on to for safe keeping?

EricRG
06-05-2003, 08:27 PM
meh

That's what grandmas do.

Kidhuman
06-06-2003, 06:04 AM
That is cool. The only similar story I have is when I moved to Va. I found a few photos that I thought I lost when I was younger. They were at the bottom of a closet under a box. They are from ESB. NIce little surprise that day.

Exhaust Port
06-06-2003, 08:19 AM
Very nice suprise.

scruffziller
06-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Lucky, because most grandmas I have heard about throw stuff like that away.

bobafrett
06-06-2003, 11:25 AM
I like when this friend of mine finds stuff from his collection that he no longer wants, and just gives it to me. He hasn't asked for one penny. He also knows I won't sell or trade it.

That is cool about the items your grandma saved, then returned to you. Who would of thunk you'd still be into Star Wars 26 years later. Seems to be common amogst the older SSG members.

plasticfetish
06-07-2003, 12:08 AM
That's great! Hip grandma. Having them framed as we speak?

I just found the ROTJ "official collectors edition" magazine that I'd gotten after I saw the movie 20 years ago. Haven't seen it in ages.

bobafrett
06-07-2003, 12:16 AM
I'm sure I have a bunch of stuff in my frontroom closet that I haven't seen in years. I try not to move it around to much, because some of the boxes have gotten soft from everytime I move. I finally started getting plastic totes. Still, I know there are parts of my collection that haven't seen the light of day in quite some time.

Jargo
06-09-2003, 01:31 PM
No real relatives but my mothers last boyfriend found a jigsaw from 1983 of vader stood in the death star docking bay. I put it all together but there were pieces missing so i eventually dumped it again. It was only a small jigsaw and vader isn't one of my favourite characters so i wasn't sorry. probably came from a dumpster anyway knowing my mothers boyfriend's habits. :dead:

keith koth
06-10-2003, 03:50 PM
A few months ago, I was helping clean "junk" out of the attic at the old family homestead (for a garage sale). In the far corner of the attic under a stack of unused cardboard boxes, I found something I have been looking for since 1978...

Back in 1977, I was at the State Fair of Texas and was a mere 4-years-old. My grandparents had taken me to the fair, where I found something I just had to have. After playing several games of darts, you know, the dart game where you throw darts at ballons and win prizes...well, after playing a few games of darts, I won my desired prize...and now, after almost 25 years of wondering what ever happend to it, I have once again recovered my DARTH VADER mirror.

I have never seen another like it...I'm so glad to knowingly have it back in my possession.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 08:57 PM
...and now, after almost 25 years of wondering what ever happend to it, I have once again recovered my DARTH VADER mirror.

OMG LOL I remember those "state fair" mirrors :D

Somewhere's I have a Cyndi Lauper one from the 80's

Good snag and good find!