PDA

View Full Version : Got R5D2, now I want to know we can't get a Saga R5D4

Droidlover
06-05-2003, 05:52 PM
I finally broke down and ordered R5D2 off E-bay the other day. I had to bend over to get him, but he was worth the money. He looks like a mostly new figure. The head is definitely new, and the body is at least a retooled R2/R3/R4 body. Since they spent so much on what is basically a limited release figure, why can't Hasbro give us a decent R5D4, or at least an R5, ? I hope R5D4 finally comes in the Saga line as he will be more cost friendly for me and I will buy multiples for customs I wanna do.

mark2d2
06-06-2003, 01:41 AM
There is only one reason why we don't have a decent R5-D4. . .

God has truly forsaken me, I guess. Seriously, enough is enough.

I am hopeful though, that it's only a matter of time now . . .

Droidlover
06-06-2003, 02:45 AM
Mark, we have been screaming from the top of the mountains and none have listened. How many times have we heard he was coming to see him bumped for another droid? How hard is a simple retool of the R5D2's head? They could make R5D4 a pack in with anything and I would buy it just for him( I did it for the Red R2). I am a droid nut, hence the name, and I buy just about anything for a classic droid. I will probably buy the Sandcrawler, just for the silver Death Star Droid, if it is released( course I will probably turn around and sell the Sandcrawler). And I will buy the Droid Factory for the CZ-3, if thats is released.

mark2d2
06-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Actually, as far as I can recall --- R5-D4 was only slated to come out once.
And he was then bumped for R4-M9. (Great figure by the way.) Honestly,
I really, really thought that we would see him with all the Episode II stuff,
since he was in the movie. . . and actually a heck of a lot easier to spot than the Sneak Preview R3. (Another great figure. . . )

But enough is enough! Bring on R5! Dang It! My patience is a an end.

LTBasker
06-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Hopyfully he'll come out soon, he's just so popular. He's like the shadowed cousin of R2, plotting his evil revenge so that he will be the only one to remain! hahahahah!! err...

Death to R2
Starring Rainbow 5D4

Kidhuman
06-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Maybe in 2004. With the Jabbas Palace characters and all being on the list, they might decide to just do Tatooine figures as well. Hopefully that is the case.

tgr3328
06-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
I really, really thought that we would see him with all the Episode II stuff,
since he was in the movie. . . and actually a heck of a lot easier to spot than the Sneak Preview R3. (Another great figure. . . )

Where does he appear?

By the way, check out this article in StarWars.com about R5-D4:

R5-D4 Expanded Universe (http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/r5d4/eu.html)

Notice the name of the trader, Macemillian-winduarté! Does that name sound familiar? They say that Macemillian-winduarté is a Squib, a blue-furred alien. But jedi can use mind control and make others think they are something else. Maybe Mace survived the Clone Wars after all!

mark2d2
06-11-2003, 03:10 PM
It's really very, quick. But very easy to spot if you're looking.

When Anakin and Padme are heading to watto's shop -- riding in that odd droid pulled cart through the streets of Tatooine -- he rolls across the center of the screen for a fairly long shot. Passing them, and then R2-D2 who is following behind them.

It's a tiny cameo --- at best. But I think that's what makes it cool. It's be kind of dumb if he and R2 bumped into each other, or even chirped hello. This way he's just there, and I like the implied back story that he was probably just rolling around Tatooine for the next thirty or so years. :)

By the way --- this cameo is confirmed by the link you provided. Notice how it lists him as being in both films. I actually noticed him the very first time I saw Attack of the Clones, but then I am very much an R5 freak.

I just always loved his figure when I was a child. As the only other Astro-droid in the kenner galaxy --- he had to be everything from Artoo's best friend . . . to rebel spy . . . to evil imperial assassin. Yes, it pains me to no end that I don't as of yet have a really good modern figure of him. (Other than the 12 inch which was definitely a dream come true for me. I still can't believe I found that exclusive so easily at Walmart. . .) But a 3 3/4" as well done as R4-M9 is not only long overdue, but a crime against droidity.

rbaumhauer
06-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Much as I like the R4s (including the new 4-pack Imperial version), I can't get over the feeling that their legs are a bit too short, much like all the 3POs' arms are too short.

mark2d2
06-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Okay, I broke down and did the ebay thing. I can't wait to get the guy and the price wasn't that bad actually. (Not great, but not outrageous.) I'll give my full report when he arrives next week!

Devo
06-14-2003, 08:51 PM
whats this R5-D2 figure? Anyone have pics?

Droidlover
06-17-2003, 02:57 AM
Devo, check SirSteve's Database under Star Tours.

Mark2D2, R5D2 is a very nice figure. If only an R5D4 would come out this nice. R5D2 looks almost like a total rescuplt(excluding his legs). Mine cost a pretty penny, but he is a nice addition to my droid collection.

mark2d2
06-17-2003, 03:23 AM
Mine should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. :)
It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't outrageous . . .
And --- hey! It's an R5. And I'm a sucker for 'bots.

PS -- His head does turn, right? Does is CLICK! ?

kdp100
06-17-2003, 04:57 AM
Yes, the head turns and clicks! He's articulated at the neck, both shoulders, and all three 'ankles' - just like most of the astromechs we've seen in the last couple of years. His middle leg retracts, too.

mark2d2
06-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation, Kdp100.
I am drooling with anticipation for the l'il guy . . .

tgr3328
06-25-2003, 09:46 AM
I agree that we need a good R5-D4. I just wonder why we couldn't get a decent one in the first place.

No doubt this has been discussed before, but why was the old POTF2 R5 made the way he was? What's with the proton torpedo? Is that why he blew his stack; the torpedo went off by accident? Why the concealed torpedo? It’s not in the movie. And why are his legs fastened together?

There is no suggestion that R5 is anything more than a beat-up second-hand droid. I just don't get it!

It’s as if Hasbro said, "Lets not make a supporting figure with versatility and good play value. Lets make it with a hokey gimmick that doesn't even make sense."

kdp100
06-25-2003, 11:41 AM
I once read somewhere (Steve Sansweet's book?) that the mechanism in the POTF2 R5 was based on a "Attack R2-D2" deluxe figure that never came to fruition.

I don't mind the POTF2 R5-D4 figure myself, and I've used a few of them for customizing.
I've always used a modelling-knife to remove the side-guns and the leg-brace from these custom droids, though - the figure looks much better without them.

Droidlover
06-27-2003, 03:29 AM
I have customized several R5s myself, using that head and R3s body. I would gladly buy several new R5s to customize given the chance. I want a more movie accurate head.

kdp100
06-27-2003, 04:11 AM
Talking about movie-accuracy, the Star Tours R5 has eight red panels on the top of its head, whereas the vintage & POTF2 versions had six each. (I don't know about the 6" version.)

I was watching the R5 scene in ANH the other evening and counted eight panels on the original droid. Never noticed that before!

There's a still photo at: http://index.echostation.com/trilogy/droidauction.htm.

Droidlover
06-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Yeah the six inch R5D4 has eight panels on top. That was just one of the inaccuracies with the POTF2 version.

pod
06-27-2003, 09:19 AM
My main concern is that if hasbro waits too long in making a proper R5-D4, then we'll miss out on getting all the cool R5 repaints that are possible. I think the most striking astromech droids as yet unmade are R5 units, such as the yellow Mos Eisley R5, or Red Leader's Darth Maul-like R5.

Capitan_Moroni
06-27-2003, 12:25 PM
personally, I'm a fan of the yellow R5 on the queen's royal starship in Ep.1, and Jabba's Red/White betting R5 droid from the pod race.

Droidlover
06-28-2003, 02:01 AM
You need to see my customs then. I have done a black Imperial R5, R5D4 (of course), Jabba's red and white R5, and I am int process of doing a yellow R5 from the Queen's starship. I keep hoping I will get a better R5 to use as a base, but so far nothing. I want to at least try using a vintage head and new body to see how that looks.

Droidlover
07-01-2003, 02:39 AM
I don't want to let this thread die. We really need a new R5D4, or at least a decent R5 unit. Then I can start about how I wanna see an R6 and R7.