PDA

View Full Version : Han Solo Hoth Rescue

DarthBrandon
06-05-2003, 08:08 PM
1 - 5 (5 being the best)

Sculpt: 5

Wow, where do I start: I thought they had the likeness of Han down pat with the SAGA Endor Han. I guess things got better at Hasbro in the last few months. Han Hoth is one of the best sculpt/likeness of Han out there to date.Even the facemask is really well done. The face is nicely done and when the mask is on the lens color appears to be yellow with his eyes peeking through and when it's off it appears to be white colored. The detail on the figure is awesome and it blows away the previous versions all to hell, more detailed than any of them. The pose is great for this figure and my only complaint is that it doesn't have knee joints, no marks taken off for that though.

Paint: 5

If I were scoring this on a ten scale then it would be just that, mine appears to be flawless right down to the little rank markings on his coat. Not much more to say than that, it's one of the best I've seen since Ephant Mon.

Articulation: 5

This is where all the hard work has paid off; he has moveable wrists (right above top of gloves), elbows, head, arms and legs. He also comes with an action feature (Moving waist when swinging lightsaber or blaster, or whichever you prefer) which I personally hate, but for once it doesn't hurt the figure unless you plan on looking at his backside 24/7. He comes with a holster for his gun, I don't know if that counts for articulation but it's worth mentioning. (I was pleased to see that.) He can be posed in lots of positions and I'm sure he will look good on the new Taun-Taun that's coming out in the new Hoth Pack. My only complaint again is the non-bending knees, this would have an extra bonus and made the figure complete IMO. No marks taken off for that because I like the figure that much.

Accessories: 5

This figure comes with removable mask, lightsaber (all one piece), blaster and what looks to be a communication device. The detail and the size of the accessories are all well done and they make a figure in which I wasn't going to purchase that much more.

Overall: 5

I'm usually not that generous when rating Hasbro’s product, but this one is an excellent figure and I do suggest getting this one. He's one of my favorite Saga figures yet!

:D

mark2d2
06-17-2003, 04:43 AM
Wow! Can't wait to find this guy. Nice thorough review.

Dr Zoltar
06-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Does any one know which version is shipping now? The brown or blue coat version?

DarthBrandon
06-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks

The Blue Coat is shipping now.:D

JEDIpartner
06-26-2003, 12:34 PM
I just got my blue coat the other day and I cannot agree with you more. This figure is amazing.

plasticfetish
09-02-2003, 04:50 AM
Well ... a few months later ... after having debated for a while, I've gone ahead and picked up this figure.

I agree with Brandon's rave up top. It's a nice looking toy and to quote my rant about the Throne Room Vader figure "the head/face sculpt is nice, as is the rest of the figure in general. There's why I bought it ... had to open one and find out the rest." This time around I'd say that I'm much happier with what I've found. Pretty much everything Brandon said is true ... Sculpt, paint, articulation and accessories are super! I'll even begrudgingly admit that the gimmick doesn't ruin this figure. He looks super with the mask on (and the face sculpt is great too), he can really hold the tracking device and the blaster fits and looks mighty nice in that holster. His spread leg stance is a minus, but I've got those oval stands from the multi-pack that work just right.

With all that ... and given that I suppose we'll never see another Hoth Han, I'm pretty glad that I've bought this one. I could even imagine my son wanting and getting some pretty good play out of this toy ... someone's gotta shoot that probe droid.

But ... I wouldn't exactly say that this figure is perfect. It's taken me a while to really decide what's bugging me about this toy. It's not just that I hate the button gimmick thing, though that counts for a lot. It's probably (as nerdy as I know this sounds) that the figure's kind of inaccurate. I'm not sure why they bothered to give it the slashing gimmick at all. He doesn't come with a Tauntaun and the one from the coming Hoth multi-pack is really Luke's ... so why bother with the slashing lightsaber thing? He only ever wore the goggles and scarf on his face while riding the Tauntaun, other than that, the goggles were up on his head. Gee OK, maybe I'm just annoyed that we didn't simply get this super looking figure with a Tauntaun ... it would have made more sense. And yeah, he should have bendable knees for when he's riding the thing or kneeling down to stuff Luke into it's belly. We didn't really need the lightsaber either, any Luke (like from the coming Wampa cave set) would probably come with one.

I suppose the point is that though the figure and all of it's great details are impressive, it doesn't seem to have been carefully thought out. It's kind of a Hoth Han mishmash, with a bit of a half hearted play idea. "Lightsaber-slicing action" with nothing to slice ... instead of knee articulation? Kind of a bummer.
So ... I'll give it a 7 out of 10.
I'll probably buy the brown version also to keep carded ... if it ever turns up.