PDA

View Full Version : COmmand Gunship

gibbspaulus
06-06-2003, 10:38 AM
And there was me thinking that they'd do more than just paint bits of it black. Now, although I am usually a re-hash supporter, I think this sucks, especially when it's less than 12 months since the first issue and it's still widely available!

Where are there new features, or reasons to buy this. Buy a Saga one on clearance and paint it!

JEDIpartner
06-06-2003, 02:08 PM
What makes this one REALLY different is that they don't encourage you to put the bubble cannons on it! ;)

I know what you mean, though. It is really an exercise in overkill. It is almost as though Hasblah was thinking... "Holy crap! We spent some $$$ making this mould and we need to get the most of it since we really didn't make the cash on the original release." I say sell off the duds and call it a day on this one. I mean, I really liked the original release but not enough to have bought more than one!!!

Scackmgack
06-06-2003, 02:14 PM
The so-called "Command Gunship" sucks. I sincerely hope that few if any people buy it such that Hasblow learns a lesson about repaints.

jedi-cpa
06-06-2003, 02:21 PM
And let's face it...it will.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-06-2003, 02:31 PM
I second that Jedi-cpa, i bought the original and it's lovely...from what i can tell at least...i'm an MOC collector. :D

But once i pass these in the clearance rack, i'll get them.

Do you think the other vehicles will do better? Ideas? :)

gibbspaulus
06-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Who knows? Do the ships really sell at all? I mean we really don't see them at retail over here so we don't get an idea. I mean I only got two gunships coz one was in a bundle of stuff that meant you got Jorg Sucal!

The AAT will sell simply because I don't think they were on wide release at all, again based on their rarity in the UK. So that's one plus factor I guess. Also why would the general public buy the repainted starfighter when the original is on massive clearance every where!

It's a shame really. They had the right idea, following the old Kenner re-release pattern, but advertising them as new prduct is what's gonna **** off the bulk of collectors. Come on Hasbro, be hoinest!

jedi-cpa
06-06-2003, 03:46 PM
I won't be buying the AAT, I believe it is exactly like the EP I version...so no need, again if it goes on clearance I'll buy.

The new Tie fighter will sell, looks cool, and long over due if you ask me.

I don't know why I have to say I am not going to buy though, there hasn't been new product on shelves here (NY & CT) in at least 5 months.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-06-2003, 04:11 PM
I think once i get home and start workin', i'm gonna apply for the ole' SW Credit card and just do my usual KEBco pre-order on everything I can. I don't know if stores will get these new vehicles or much of them since a lot of the AOTC stuff cluttered shelves for a while. I'd rather just get them delivered to my door than worry about if the stores in my are going to get in good size quantities of them.

Also, i never saw an AAT at all during their initial release, so i'm getting this one for sure. :D

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-06-2003, 04:33 PM
You can't blame Hasbro too much though because like Durge and the ARC trooper that some people didn't like, Hasbro didn't design it! They are just making what they see in the comics and games and junk... And I don't think we need another mold for the gunship because other than the bubble laser thingys there isn't anything I can think of to improve on. Also I read some where that the new jedi starfighter is a resculpt

Plus they won't go on sale..... the way things look stores won't get them!

mark2d2
06-07-2003, 03:11 AM
It baffles me that THIS is getting released.
But there is still no official word on the SANDCRAWLER.
It seriously just blows my mind. . .

LTBasker
06-07-2003, 06:47 AM
I do actually hate that they rehashed it without change except for some new paint stuff. I do like the fact it looks very military though and it's $10 less, however it's still a basic Gunship. I may pick it up, but it's definitely not gonna be a priority.

seth_quinn
06-07-2003, 08:51 AM
the last time I was so excited from seeing a vehicle for the first time, I was still 4 years old and it was the Falcon. I absolutely love the Gunship, but rereleasing it just one year after the original as a new item when all it has is some new paint is brutal. I slapped down big bucks for my first one the second I saw it at retail and was happy to do it. this time around the shipping is going to be more than what I pay for this "new" ship.

kool-aid killer
06-08-2003, 11:05 AM
I never saw an AAT in stores so i will pick that up, but not another gunship. Ships dont really seem to sell well in my opinion. Most seem to hit clearence but that could be because most of us would rather pay a lower price for them.

sith_killer_99
06-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Yep, I will buy this one on clearance just like my original Gunship.

What makes this one REALLY different is that they don't encourage you to put the bubble cannons on it!

Ah, JP did you look at the back of the box? They still have the directions for how to put those bubbles on.:crazed:

I really think they should have re-tooled this before it's release. There is soo much potential for improvement.

BTW, for the record, I like the new color scheme.;)

Jargo
06-08-2003, 12:09 PM
The new starfighter is a repaint in torquiose. Anakin's starfighter is a rehashed resculpt that looks like a badly thought out amateur modellers first attempt. A complete pile of crap. The repaint on the starfighter is okay because it was in the movie kind of albeit in the cut scenes but still on the DVD. The gunship is poo looking and that's why i bought a second one of the original paint scheme. I don't see this turkey selling to anyone but spoilt kids and boxed collectors.
The other vehicles might fare better because they're smaller. The hailfire droid should do well and geo fighter ship too. New vehicles and both in the movie. The AAT is a wasted release IMO. They could have done something interesting like the Neimoidian shuttle or Dooku's solar sailer. The tie fighter is crap too. What good is a rehashed cockpit bubble without restyled scale wings? wasted time effort and money IMO.

sith_killer_99
06-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Well, I open all of my ships.:D I only bough 1 Gunner Ship, and ONLY because it was on clearance. The same with the new one that will give me 2 Gunships in different color schemes, cheap.

As for the TIE Fighter, I don't mind it too much, it's better than the Gunship. For one thing, it is an exclusive, which means we won't have to see it hogging up shelf space in all the stores like the Gunship will. Plus, I don't have any regular TIE Fighters. SO I will probably buy two of these. Though it would have been nice if they had re-sculpted the wings.:(

I didn't buy the speeders and I won't buy Anakin's "Star Fighter" either. When it comes to the ships/vehicles, I buy what I like. It's the same with the new SAGA line, If I don't like the figure, or at least the way it looks in the package, I won't buy it.

Maybe I'm not as much of a "hard-core" collector anymore. Hasbro has really turned me off with a lot of the stuff they have done in the last year. It's strange, seeing as how my favorite line was POTJ. They went from "Top of their game" to "Bottom of the barrel" in such a short time.:Pirate:

jedi master sal
06-09-2003, 02:20 PM
I might consider buying this one on clearance. If it's just a new paint job then what's the point, really? I bougt 5 of the "classic" gunships. Two at ful price and three on clearance AND with a 20% discount card on top of that. I do like the new paint job but Hasbro HAS to do better than that to make it sell well among collectors. Kid's still aren't gong to have the money to buy this like we do and besides they'll question why it's all black and white in stead of red.

I will for certain buy a FEW T.I.E. fighters and a couple of Geonosian fighters.

A Dooku sailer would have been nice, or even Nute Gunray's personal Shuttle.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Good call on that Sal, the dooku sailer would be a welcome additon to the SW vehicle universe. :D

Adam
06-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Clearance if I can find it. I'd prefer getting the first gunship though.

Val Da Car
06-11-2003, 10:23 PM
well...EE has the Command Gunship....looks like someone is getting deliveries...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS84840

$37.99 is a little step to be the first on the block with a rehash ship...

but I do have 20 Clone trooper pilots for my diorama....why not

OC47150
06-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Like some of you others, I will wait until the Clone Wars vehicles are marked down before adding to my collection.

pthfnder89
06-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Good call on that Sal, the dooku sailer would be a welcome additon to the SW vehicle universe. :D

Ugh, not for me. Personally, the solar sailor is way too boring for my taste. I'll probably pick up one of the gunships, if I find it on clearance. I wouldn't mind having two different color schemes and I have some extra pilots. I'll probably also get one of the new Jedi Starfighters. But Anakins new fighter is a terrible design, and pretty amateurishly done.

I don't really get why it's so horrible for them to rehash some of these ships during a non-movie year though. They have to keep the line going and as most of you have commented, it's not like there is a huge pressure to buy them.:)

Spinosaurus2004
06-14-2003, 05:21 PM
I dunno if any of you remember any of the Hasbro Jurassic Park lines but they basically did the same thing. They repainted every dinosaur and packaged them under a new label (i.e. Chaos Effect). When I was six I bought them because I thought they were different but alas, they werent. I figured it out and so I won't buy this gunship. But now I wish I'd waited to get this gunship because it does look cooler. Alas, I got the first one when I had a hernia operation, the 'rents got it for me to make me feel better. Unfortunately it was hard to assemble and/or play with while I had an unbearable pain in my groin.

Devo
06-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Though its a simple repaint i'd probably buy the command gunship if only I had the space. Sadly i'm lacking in that. I'll have to let all these vehicle rereleases pass me by. Except the AAT which I never managed to find in the first place...and chances are I still won't find it. My local hasn't had any new vehicles in since November 2002 and that was the original gunship for which I paid a ridiculously high price only to see it in a plain old toymaster 2 months later for less than half the price.

When I first heard about the new TIE fighter I assumed it would be a resculpt ala Power FX X-Wing. So it comes as a disappointment that its just the same old munchkin TIE from '95.

Devo
06-14-2003, 09:31 PM
oh and also- the command gunship should have been the walker drop-off gunships seen in AOTC. Of course that'll probably never see the light of day.

mm74md
06-16-2003, 11:29 AM
My 2:

I'm mixed about rehashes. In the gunship, it's lame since it just came out last winter. As far as the AAT & Tie Fighters, I think it's great. Most collectors never saw the AAT in the stores. The Tie Fighter is great (for me) since I was in college during the POTF2 years & only had a handful of figures I got mostly as gifts. This is a great way for people who missed out with prior releases.