PDA

View Full Version : Could anyone help a pi**ed off collector?

Rabbit4x
06-06-2003, 11:00 PM
I don't know where this would go, so i have decided to put it in a forum most people frequent:

Anyways I am so mad right now. i have recieved my package from a seller off ebay. He is a great seller with high feedback, an occassional negative, but this is irrelevant.

Anyways, he used USP to ship them. He double bubble wrapped them and put peanuts and newspapers around the figures and sent them on towards me.
Well, a week later, I get them this afternoon. While i was at work, I came back and picked them up. I noticed that the box was dented. I opened it and the box that had my complete set of POTJ, Expanded Universe set, SOTE set, and Princess Leia collection, about half of them were crushed, creased, and just plain damaged.

I went to the UPS webiste but don't know what to do.
How do i get some of my money back or say something to UPS and get them to do something about this?
Could anyone help me claim some of my money back from USP? Anyone have some experience witrh dealing with this crappy shipping company? WTF is going in that piece of sh** company.
I mean, seriously who's checking the boxes, monkies?

If anyone can help me and resolve this issue, that would be great.

Beast
06-06-2003, 11:09 PM
You didn't say if you paid to have the package insured. If you didn't, you're pretty much out of luck. And are you sure that the damage was all due to the UPS. After all, if you didn't pay for insurance he could have put damaged merchandise in the package and you would be stuck with it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
06-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Are you talking about "UPS" or "USPS"?

I would try walking into an office for whichever w/ your box as you got it and talk to them. If the box was damaged in transit, it probably isn't the seller's fault ... sounds like it was packed well enough ... but you'll need to have it out with the shipping company. If the box wasn't insured you "may" be out of luck. But, it's worth a try to go in and calmly see what they have to say ... and then you can yell at them.

Dr Zoltar
06-06-2003, 11:36 PM
Be sure and save the package. I've had to do a claim before (through my work who used UPS) and they are going to want to inspect the package to make sure it was their fault.

UPS has their moments. I had a box delivered by them where the box was ripped open, half the contents were missing, and they taped it back up again. I don't remember the claim process because my work shipped it and they took care of the paperwork.

I've also had bad luck with USPS 2nd day air. I had a Jorg Sacul and a Toy Fair Vader shipped this way. The shipping box looked fine, and the Vader was safe, but poor Jorge had some bubble damage. Wasn't a whole lot I could do because the actual shipping box wasn't damaged. So I had no proof that USPS damaged it even though the seller seems to have it packed well.

Anyways, besides my ramblings, take the box and damaged contents to your local UPS office and ask them about making a claim. If it was UPS, I'm fairly certain that insurance is part of their shipping costs.

Old Fossil
06-06-2003, 11:36 PM
Did you have to sign for them? I know UPS doesn't always make the recipient sign, but if you signed for them upon receipt, without first inspecting the contents for damage, you are definitely out of luck.

Likely, you'll just have to write off the damaged ones as a loss. That is, unfortunately, a risk we all take when we buy from online sellers -- goods lost or damaged in shipment. I have been very, very lucky in that department so far, but I have a feeling my days are numbered...

Rabbit4x
06-07-2003, 09:01 AM
I got insurance to how much I won the auction for and my mom did not sign for the packages. He just left the boxes here and left.

seth_quinn
06-07-2003, 09:23 AM
if you paid for insurance then you should be fine. go to UPS of the USPS (which ever it was) and make a big stinkin' fuss. squeaky wheel gets the oil. if it was UPS it doesn't surprise me that your box was banged up, I once had one arrive that looked like it'd been used for a lunch break soccer game. thankfully all that was inside was a pair of vintage shoes.

Kidhuman
06-07-2003, 11:49 AM
You could use the web site to make a claim as well. ups.com or usps.com. I fortunately never had a package arrive like that. Sorry to hear about your incident. Don't take no for an answer.

Turbowars
06-07-2003, 02:38 PM
If we are talking about UPS "BROWN", then I think you have insurance. If it was the US post office and you didn't pay for insurance you are out of luck. Like above go to one of these offices and talk to a manager.

Sidiously Darth
06-07-2003, 08:50 PM
I haven't had a lot of experience w/ UPS but I do know FedEx insures all their packages up to a certain amount. After that, you must pay extra.

I agree with the others. Head over to their closest office or go to the website and file a claim.

Good Luck!!!

Rabbit4x
06-08-2003, 09:21 AM
What happens after a claim is made and if the claim is accepted, what happens after that?

Turbowars
06-08-2003, 09:34 AM
You get some cash back, if it was insured.

Chiesa
06-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Yup.. You get some dough back...

bobafrett
06-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Which is different from getting a "Dewback"!

Hee Hee, sorry, Star Wars humor............don't you know.

Kidhuman
06-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Yeah, you should get some cash back, possibly what they were worth or up til how much it was insured. If it was insured for 100 dollars and had 75 worth of damage, you will get 75. If it was insured for 100 dollars and had 200 worth of damage you will get 100 dollars.

Rabbit4x
06-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Where do i start ? I am going to the UPS store, calm at first but if nothing previals, I'm leaving in a cussing fit.

Anyways, where do i start to get some of money back?

plo koon 200
06-09-2003, 12:01 AM
You tell them they messed up your toys and don't be nice with them. Remember, the customer is always the most important. Good luck.

Turbowars
06-09-2003, 12:01 AM
listen dude, this is one of those crappy things that the victim has to deal with the whole problem. No one is going to help you. The seller can care less, he got his cash. UPS isn't going to do anything until you get your butt down there and start complaining. As with everything in this nature, there is probably some kind of waiting period. Start by filling out some claim form. The whole thing suck, I know.

stad
06-09-2003, 01:31 AM
Here is what you can do if it is UPS. All UPS packages are automatically insured up to $100, after that, the shipper has to pay an extra $.35 per $100. You can either go to their web site and find out where the shipping center that delivers in your area is at (not just any UPS/Mail Boxes Etc. store, but the actual customer counter of the shipping place, may be in another city) or call 1-800-PICK-UPS to make the claim. Either way, you will need a tracking number. They may want the shipper to file the claim as well, but I'm not sure for a damaged package. If it was lost, the shipper would have to make the claim and be reimbursed. Anyways, I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Rabbit4x
06-09-2003, 11:02 AM
I have called customer service and they said they will send out a truck to pick it up, but the customer service added that they will send it back to the shipper and said he can decide to refund my money back.

I got his contact information off Ebay and his phone number is disconnected. I don't know if i should and lose a set and more money.

plasticfetish
06-09-2003, 12:16 PM
You're going to ship the box UPS damaged back to the seller and hope that he's going to give you your money back? Have you tried contacting this guy first to see if he's OK with this? I would try going in to a UPS branch, talk to a live human being and show them the box. At the very least square it away with the seller before you send the box back and end up with nothing. If you payed for insurance ... then someone has to own up to the damage. You should pretty much assume that no one is going to volunteer to take the blame and compensate you for the damaged package. (Time to kick some *** ... but don't do it over the phone.)

Rabbit4x
06-09-2003, 10:13 PM
The seller convenientyl has his phone disconnected and he's not answering his emails.

stad
06-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that probably (but not necessarily) means that you were charged for insurance, but he didn't buy it. You might just be hosed, or maybe he's just behind on his phone bill and uses dial-up net service, hence, no email either.
Good Luck!

Dar Basra
06-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Out of curiosity - what was the damage to the actual goods? Was it just ruined cards and bubble cases? But the figures are still ok?

I'm asking because I wonder whether any insurance claim you make, if in fact insurance was purchased by the shipper, would ever be settled near the amount you paid for the goods, in that they would claim: you bought a bunch of toys, and you got a bunch of toys. I'm not trying to dispute that the value is lessened by the damage to the cards and bubbles as far as collectors' items go, but merely that the insurance adjusters may we unwilling pay the claim for the total amount.

Turbowars
06-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Rabbit, you never told us if it was UPS "Brown" or the US post office. If it was Brown you are covered.

Rabbit4x
06-10-2003, 08:54 PM
The damage sustained was to 38 POTJ figures, 5 sote figures, and the Expanded Universe Luke.

It ranged from bent bubbles, creaseed cards to crushed bubbles.
The Jar jar Tattoine got the most damges and the bubble was completely crushed.

It was UPS (Brown)