PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Heroes

jjreason
06-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Hey, since we've wrecked the X-Men thread, I figured some other Marvel heroes warrant discussion. Does anyone here buy any other books outside X-Men? Wish to discuss who's secret identity is the lamest (duh - it's Steve Rogers)? Want issue summaries (I might be your guy)? How 'bout Garth Ennis on Punisher, or BM Bendis on DD? What do you think?

Eternal Padawan
06-10-2003, 02:48 PM
After I quit collecting, I would pick up the occasional issue of Iron Man and it seemed as if Tony Srark had gone evil and there was an alternate dimension Tony Stark who was younger and he became the new Iron Man. It seemed completely lame and I have been reluctant to pick up an Issue of Iron Man ever since. Anybody know what the scoop is?

jjreason
06-10-2003, 10:08 PM
I haven't read any Iron Man since the end of Volume II (the Whilce Portacio run while Wildstorm was doing Marvel Heroes after Onslaught) so I have no idea. The end of Volume I had Tony regressed to about 19 years of age, so I do remember that aspect of things. I think Iron Man went psycho during "Timeslide" or something like that - it happened in a few specials, not during the main series (which is always stupid), and effected the whole shebang.

I would say that Tony Stark would be one of the more interesting characters behind the characters in the Marvel Universe. Lots to do there.

Eternal Padawan
06-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey the alcoholic storyline was VERY powerful. And the Armor Wars saga was (and is still) one of the coolest comic stories ever. I highly recommend that to anyone who digs comics.
Tony Stark finds out that during the time his company was under the control of Obadiah Stane, he sold parts of the IM technology to anybody with enough money. So bascially all these teched up villains have IM circuitry in their armor and Stark feels responsible (for all the innocents that have been hurt with his inventions), so he hunts all of them down and slaps these little EMP doohickeys on their armor. Eventually he runs afoul of the good guys too since the Guardsmen at the Vault and the S.H.I.E.L.D. Mandroids have the circuitry, too. In the end, Stark has to disavow his "bodyguard" and fire him, Iron Man becomes hunted and they are forced to kill him. Powerful stuff.

Eternal Padawan
06-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Some Marvel heroes just can't hold onto a series. Here are a few..

Moon Knight.
Dr. Strange.
Cloak & Dagger.

In my opinion, Cloak would work better as a fallen hero, who turns to the darkside. Have a big crossover event, where in the end he becomes the new Marvel Tier-A villain (think Apocalypse, or Thanos). I'm already seeing a Cloak VS Dagger mini series.

Moon Knight has always been intriguing to me, even though he's a Bruce Wayne clone, billionaire pretty boy turned vigilante with high tech gadgets. If they could find a new angle (and not that silly immortality crap) I'd go for it. Plus he has the coolest/abrasive sidekick, Freedomy, one of his old mercenary cronies.

jjreason
06-13-2003, 10:41 PM
Moon Knight - Fist of Konshu was hot as a pistol up here when it came out. Awesome covers, what I remember as being a pretty good story, and it all crapped after 6 issues.

Dr. Strange, Nick Fury/Shield, Sub Mariner - more big names that can't draw readers. They should make "Tales to Astonish" again, and run it like they used to: 10 pages of 2 different stories each issue, featuring these backups and the ones named above in good stories. We wouldn't need these half-baked mini series anymore.

I started playing Catchup on Avengers, and read the first 6 Geof Johns issues. No screaming hell. I have one Thor/IM/Avengers cross over to read, then it's on to "Red Storm" or whatever, with the new artist Coipels at the helm. He's getting good reviews, so I hope it's a step up from that Scorpio crap story.

Eternal Padawan
06-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Yeah. Oliver Coipels. That's his name. I like his style.

Nick Fury/SHIELD would work if they stuck to one villain team like Hydra/AIM and showed what they were up to at the same time. I could definitely get into a cat and mouse thing with those two teams spreading through the entire Marvel universe, utilizing heroes and voillains as agents in a an ongoing epic. Hydra subverting and taking over organized crime across the globe, so eventually every villains is either directly or indirectly working for them, and SHIELD checkmating them with heroes and have it culminate in a spectacular final issue where SHIELD saves the planet, but with lasting ramifications. SHIELD series always lacked focus. Like they had this cool organization with cool characters, but they didn't know what to do with it.

I liked having Namor as a businessman, when Byrne started his series back in the early 90's, then it petered out. This new one set in the 20's is interesting to flip throu, but not enough to buy (unless its a quarter...)

Dr. Strange. Well first off, his costume has GOT TO GO. I think that turns off any initial readers from the get go. Second, whats up with his title: Sorceror Supreme? Was there a competition? Who appointed him this dimension's protector? Are there even any other candidates? And the whole idea of "magic" is a little vague as to what he can and cannot do. it almost makes him omnipotent and wheres the fun /peril/conflict in that? Whatever challenge he's facing the writer can just go "Oh! And then he knows a spell to counteract giant devil beetles who turn ballerinas into magmesium lead alloys..." I just don't like Dr. Strange.

El Chuxter
06-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Namor as a businessman was awesome, and not only because it brought back the wrongfully killed Iron Fist!

Remember the very brief "Fury" series from the heyday of the buckles-and-arm-bands age, where Nick looked exactly like a cigar-chomping Cable with an eyepatch? :eek:

I think Dr Strange is definitely one that could be great, but isn't. "By the hoary hordes of Hogwarts!" (or whatever his battle cry is) has to go!

Dr Zoltar
06-15-2003, 12:30 AM
Eternal Padawan,

Man, Cloak and Dagger was one of my favorite comics when it first came out. Marvel had a good thing going with it. But it eventually turned sour. I'd love to see it re-done and more mature. And fix the fact that they were mutants. I liked it better when it was believed they weren't.

jjreason
06-19-2003, 06:34 PM
I read Kingpin #1, kind of a take on how Fisk got to be the power in NYC. Interesting, but I don't really see how this is going to last too long (not listed as a ltd series on the cover). Personally, I was hoping this book was going to be spun out of current DD, and we'd get to see how he claws his way back into control of the underworld (he's been on the down and outs lately, for those not in the Bendis loop - oh, and by the way, you probably should be). Written by Bruce Jones, who apparently can't do no wrong around Marvel these days. Good book.

jjreason
06-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Me again, (sorry, been too long to edit) just reading Avengers, and I'd recommend the "Red Storm" story arc, if you can find the issues. The art has really come on strong (coipels) and it seems to have motivated Johns to produce better dialogue. This story much better than the last arc in Avengers. Talk about hit and miss, the Avengers and related books are like nothing else when it comes to highs and lows.

Thor has been quite good since the Avengers crossover. "Spiral" is about humanity following Thor as a true god, and starting conflict with the Catholic Church and it's followers. Heady stuff for a non-religious type, but it's well enough written to keep me interested. Dan Jurgens knows high powered super heroes, so Thor is no stretch for him (he's better here than on Cap, where Cap kept doing stuff that really only Kryptonians could do here on earth). The art is alternating between Paco Madina and the Lai brothers, both look very clean. Thor's fun.

Eternal Padawan
06-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I picked up some Avengers to glance thru and was blown away by Oliver Coipels art. It almost made me want to start collecting Avengers....I may snag the Red Storm arc for a quick read.

Thor never did anything for me all those years I was reading it. I think I kept buying it out of habit. The only thing I can remember is that stupid NYPD task force. Lt. Stone and Code:BLUE. Lame. I was so bored at the end, I didn't even realize Deodato was doing the art until I pulled one out a couple weeks ago.

jjreason
06-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Yep, right before the change back to Journey Into Mystery, during Onslaught. Oh, and by the way, J.I.M hit a certain magical mystery issue number during that very stretch. Want to hazard a guess which issue number? 500. So much for Marvels "first" 500th issue being next months FF. More money grubbing going on......and all based on lies. How stupid, why not just market it as "the 500th issue of the book that started it all..." or something equally cheesy. No need to lie. Lying makes me angry (unless it's done well enough that I don't notice it :D ), and insults my intelligence. Neither of these things increase my desire to spend money on your product or service.

Eternal Padawan
06-23-2003, 09:12 AM
"Don't make me lie. You wouldn't like it when I'm lying..." -- Bruce Banner, Editor in Chief, Marvel Comics. ;)

If I have extra cash this week (my spending limit is $20 a week which I frequently go over) I'm gonna pick up those Avenger books.

Eternal Padawan
06-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Whoa! Avengers is smooth like a Dairy Queen sundae! Shulkie off her rocker! Vision trashed! Falcon shot (dead even?) And Dell Rusk. Every reader smacked his or her forehead when Dell pulled that mask off. Too cool! I'm not gonna give it away true believers, but Avengers is doing some vintage Marvel storytelling. World class threats, world class villains.

I bet they'll wreck the next story arc by getting Fernandez to do the art...:rolleyes:

jjreason
06-26-2003, 07:37 PM
How solid was issue 68? Holy crap, this is probably the best Avengers story I've ever read. Amazing (and yes, after reading your post I spent the entire issue trying to figure out Dell Rusk - and still didn't get it done before the reveal. I suck). Awesome awesome awesome, I think we may even get a Bruce guest appearance before the end of this story. How cool would that be????

Eternal Padawan
06-27-2003, 04:58 PM
I was gonna ask who this Warbird chick is, since she reminds me of Mockingbird and the monikers are kinda the same, with the "bird" motif but I just picked up 481 (66) and it turns out she's Carol Danvers. The same Danvers who used to be Ms. Marvel and who Rogue swiped her powers from.

How long has Rusk been a thorn in the Avengers side? Just since this storyline? Or does it go back further?

I look forward to a Hulk guest appearance. Seeing the original team back together would be sweet.

jjreason
06-28-2003, 04:02 AM
I remember her from an old issue of X-Men as well, maybe 168 or around there, Carol Danvers in flames on the cover - she had the power cosmic or some related thing back then. I know that's who Rogue swiped powers from to become invincible, but I thought that incapacitated the alluring Ms. Danvers. Guess I was wrong.

Eternal Padawan
08-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Since I watched the Daredevil DVD and saw that cool documentary about all the artists, I've been picking up a few Matt Murdock back issues. See, the covers aren't anything special, and that's what grabs you amidst all the other stuff on the rack. I flipped through one or two, but I didn't buy any. But then I watched the DVD and now that I actually sat down to READ them, it's quite gritty and cool, like the hard boiled of the Marvel Universe. Luke Cage is hanging out and stuff. And everybody knows Matt is DD. I guess the tabloids "outed" him. And now the Kingpin is back in town (he was gone?) and Bullseye looks like Colin Farrell and it just looks really cool. So I coughed up $75 to get 75 issues on eBay between when I quit collecting and now.

If Bullseye was irish in the movie, does that mean he's irish in the funny book too? I think it'd be cool to find out about his past, ( the IRA is after him?) and he's been hiding in America, faking an accent all this time. Just don't give him a gray irish name like Paddy O'Donavan or some cliche tripe like that.

I just want to say how cool I think it is, that Quesada and co. got Marvel back on track and is churning out really good storytelling in all their major titles: Avengers, Hulk, Daredevil, Amazing Spidey, most of the X-Books etc

El Chuxter
08-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Luke Cage is in DD? That gives me a reason to check it out! :D

Eternal Padawan
08-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Yeah. In issue 45 there's a cool line between Foggy and Matt where Matt says Luke called him

"...the jerk of his own story."

since Matt's been outed and he's basically messing up his whole life. It's just the sort of thing Luke would say. :D

jjreason
08-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Holy crap, I loved Supreme Power. That was an awesome comic book, right from Hyperion nuking that dog to the parents in the closet (!) to the blatant and shameless DC rip off. Awesome. I have no idea how they can make the rest of the issues that good.

I also read 1602, and realize that true to Gaiman's form I'll have to wait around for quite some time before the critical events transpire. Great writer, BEAUTIFUL art, this book will be a winner Im sure.

jjreason
08-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Read Avengers 69 yet? Red Storm part V added another great line to the pantheon of great lines: "DON'T YOU DARE SALUTE THAT FLAG!!!!" just rocked! Best Avengers story in years happening right now.

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2003, 08:51 PM
Did you get the special edition of Supreme Power? I don't know if it's in the regular edition, but theres a little tongue in cheek letter from Ralf Macchio. He's like "I don't know where Roy Thomas originally came up with the idea for Squadron Supreme..." and he ends the letter

"Up, up and awaaaaaaaaay. I just made that up."

They are gonna have fun with that book! :D

I am slowly filling the holes in my DD run after my super duper eBay win. I need 11, 18, 19, 31, 32, 34, and 36-38. I already read the Guardian Devil story from Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada (how was it Joe was both the editor and the artist?). Smashing. I am halfway through the Echo storyline ( that darn issue 11 is mucking up my read) and it is even better. Echo is the coolest character I've read in a long time. I can't wait til she shows up next month in DD 51. That issue 50 was kind of anti climactic. The artist jam was okay, but I would rather have seen a more developed storyline than 16 panels spread out over 8 pages. And each panel was basically the same. Daredevil and Wilson Fisk.

They need to do a Punisher crossover. I remember the classic Daredevil/Punisher confrontations from back in the day. In fact, I think I started collecting Daredevil sporadically because he was in Punisher #10 and Frank was in an issue of DD. I had to get it. Of course, Whilce Portacio's DD was infinitely cooler than JRjr's blocky hackjob. Holy cow, Whilce should climb out from under whatever rock he's hiding beneath and do a short run on Daredevil. Is Joe Quesada reading this? if Lee can do Bats, and Silvestri can do X-Men, Whilce can do some Daredevil....