PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Cartoon.....marketing ploy?

Gonk 1979
06-08-2003, 12:18 AM
.....I'm a huge SW fan, but something kinda made me mad today. I was at my local Hastings and sat down and read the new Insider which had an article on the new Clone Wars cartoon. Half-way through the article it said that Lucasfilm AND Hasbro approached cartoon network about the possabilty of doing a cartoon. Hasbro??? That just tells me that the whole purpose of the cartoon is to just sell more action figures. Lucas was probably talking with Hasbro and said "hmmmm, how do we sell more toys until the Ep.3 line hits? I know, lets do a series of cartoon shorts!" I know it's just business, but come one! To me, that's just a total sell out, and I'm thinking I'm won't be buying any Clone Wars toys.

Dar' Argol
06-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Gonk 1979
.....I'm a huge SW fan, but something kinda made me mad today. I was at my local Hastings and sat down and read the new Insider which had an article on the new Clone Wars cartoon. Half-way through the article it said that Lucasfilm AND Hasbro approached cartoon network about the possabilty of doing a cartoon. Hasbro??? That just tells me that the whole purpose of the cartoon is to just sell more action figures. Lucas was probably talking with Hasbro and said "hmmmm, how do we sell more toys until the Ep.3 line hits? I know, lets do a series of cartoon shorts!" I know it's just business, but come one! To me, that's just a total sell out, and I'm thinking I'm won't be buying any Clone Wars toys.

Fist thing, this belongs in the "Clone Wars" section so I'm moving it there.

Second, part of the fan base of this hobby is the figures. And since there will be some time until Ep 3 hits theaters, they need to keep the interest up in the series. Not for the collectors, b/c we are always interested, but more for the kids and what not. Plus, if they just introduced a new line of "Clone Wars" figures, everyone would be complaining cause they had no idea where these characters were coming from. Besides, just about every thing SW that has hit either the big screen or the TV screen has had figures. I mean, even the Holiday Special and the Ewok and Droids cartoons had figures, so why should Clone Wars be any different???

Beast
06-08-2003, 12:25 AM
I don't think Hasbro is as connected to this as the article states. Since the figures are based on the comics, more then they are the cartoon. And how is it a sell out? They are toys based on a comic/cartoon that's based on a movie. It's no bigger sell out then any other toy line tied into movies or comics. It's probably less of one, since Star Wars doesn't really include characters, just because they are "Toyetic". I mean, is this even a serious thing to discuss. If you're buying any of the toys, you may as well point the giant sell-out figure at yourself as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sidiously Darth
06-08-2003, 02:08 AM
Sell Out? I'll tell you what that is; the retail stores getting only 1 or 2 cases of new figures. They hit the pegs, sometimes, and sell out in just a few minutes.:p :crazed: :frus:

plasticfetish
06-08-2003, 04:36 AM
Whoa ... stop the presses!
You mean to tell me that the only reason they're doing any of this Star Wars stuff is just to sell toys? Holy cow, wait 'til the New York Times gets wind of this shocker ... it'll be on the front page..

sith_killer_99
06-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Holy cow, wait 'til the New York Times gets wind of this shocker ... it'll be on the front page..

Hahahahaha............Hahahahahaha.......

New York Times......front page.........Hahahahaha....

Sell out? Yep, they seem to be selling out of every new figure (including those ugly 4 packs) at every store around. SW is the most successful movie, toy line in history.

Fans have been asking for more, for years, many have asked for a cartoon specifically! So what if it is tied in with some marketing ploy. Do you honestly believe GL does any of this stuff without thinking about the bottom line (MONEY!). Of course not, George is greedy, and we are all eating it up with a spoon. That's what makes this all work.

Will these be marketing gimmicks? Probably, we will probably see all kinds of Star Wars toy commercials on TV when these things air. But so what, we are all collectors of these toys. Some of us are actually looking forward to seeing some of these (no doubt cheesy) commercials. Besides, if Hasbro can stimulate sales between the movies then we, as collecotrs will probably have a better chance at finding the toys, and getting more of them made. Everyone wins here.

Most of us don't care why we are getting these cartoon shorts, we just care that we are getting them.

Gonk 1979
06-08-2003, 02:22 PM
I don't know, it just seems to me that, while the prequels did generate alot of toy sales, it wasn't made JUST to sell toys, but to also tell a story. It seems as if this is the other way around, it's like these "shorts" are actually just commercials for the toys, and when Hasbro actually contacted Cartoon Network with Lucas, it was more of "let's sell toys" than "lets tell a story". Like I said, I know it's just business, but this is soooo blatant! And who CARES about the toys more than the star wars story? it seems like none of you care as long as you get a new action figure! I actually care FIRST about the story/saga and then SECOND about the tie-ins and toys. I know it's all about the money, but geez.

Gonk 1979
06-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Hahahahaha............Hahahahahaha.......

New York Times......front page.........Hahahahaha....

Sell out? Yep, they seem to be selling out of every new figure (including those ugly 4 packs) at every store around. SW is the most successful movie, toy line in history.

Fans have been asking for more, for years, many have asked for a cartoon specifically! So what if it is tied in with some marketing ploy. Do you honestly believe GL does any of this stuff without thinking about the bottom line (MONEY!). Of course not, George is greedy, and we are all eating it up with a spoon. That's what makes this all work.

Will these be marketing gimmicks? Probably, we will probably see all kinds of Star Wars toy commercials on TV when these things air. But so what, we are all collectors of these toys. Some of us are actually looking forward to seeing some of these (no doubt cheesy) commercials. Besides, if Hasbro can stimulate sales between the movies then we, as collecotrs will probably have a better chance at finding the toys, and getting more of them made. Everyone wins here.

Most of us don't care why we are getting these cartoon shorts, we just care that we are getting them.

.....well, I care. I want to know that I'm getting a product that WANTS to tell a STORY rather then just sell TOYS. STORY 1st, TOYS 2nd.....

Beast
06-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Pick up the new Clone War comics, if you're so worried there won't be a story to the whole Clone Wars deal. Remember, we're not talking about figures based on just a series of animated shorts. There are also novels, comics, games, and the cartoons. The figures are just a piece of the larger puzzle. If it bothers you so much, don't buy them. Save some for the people that do care. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
06-08-2003, 02:37 PM
We all care about the story, it's what drives this hobby. But let's face it the hobby is "Collecting Star Wars toys".

Without the toys this hobby is dead.

What drove us to this was the story, yes, it's what makes this whole thing sort of magical. But the fact of the matter is that the toys very much keep it all going.

It works the same way for EU stuff. EU also keeps the interest up. Without it Star Wars may not die, but it would be greatly deminished.

I agree the core story is important, i.e. the "MOVIES"!

But as many EU haters (or fans for that matter) would say everything else (comics, books, CARTOONS) is just gravy! Some even consider it irrelivant.

So, yes the movies are important but everything else is just gravy.

plasticfetish
06-08-2003, 05:18 PM
OK. I'll be nice this time, I've had some sleep.

I don't know, it just seems to me that, while the prequels did generate alot of toy sales, it wasn't made JUST to sell toys, but to also tell a story.
You're right. Way back 25+ years ago George Lucas made this funny little space movie and then someone had the clever idea of making some little toys to go along with it. As it turned out, the movie was a big hit and the idea of kids being able to tote around a little chunk of that adventure in their pockets was an equally fantastic event. Every little boy (and a few of the girls) on the playground would stand and compare Wookies or R2s and relive that fantastic film over and over again. As it also turned out ... George Lucas made a huge pile of cash off of those toys. He probably said something like ... "Hey, that's pretty cool. Someday I'll be able to buy The Presidio and open my own digital film studio if I sell enough of this stuff." And so history was made.

You'd be hard pressed to find any sci-fi movie geared toward the "male 13 - 25 year old market" that doesn't have a toy tie in these days. I've got boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff in my garage to prove it. So, yeah ... there is reason to be skeptical of the movie makers intentions. (But, you shouldn't be so surprised at this point.)

Kidhuman
06-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
We all care about the story, it's what drives this hobby. But let's face it the hobby is "Collecting Star Wars toys".

Without the toys this hobby is dead.

What drove us to this was the story, yes, it's what makes this whole thing sort of magical. But the fact of the matter is that the toys very much keep it all going.

It works the same way for EU stuff. EU also keeps the interest up. Without it Star Wars may not die, but it would be greatly deminished.

I agree the core story is important, i.e. the "MOVIES"!

But as many EU haters (or fans for that matter) would say everything else (comics, books, CARTOONS) is just gravy! Some even consider it irrelivant.

So, yes the movies are important but everything else is just gravy.

Exactly. I for one love to see where the figures and characters all fit in. If they just released figures based on nothing then how could people set up dioramas or even be the slightest bit interested in them. Toys as sad above are just a slice of the pie. You need stories, comics, movies and other things to set up the want for them. I would not be into SW if I had never seen the movies. If they were released with nothing to go along with them, maybe I would glance at them because they looked cool, but I highly doubt I would buy them. Welcome to the real world, it goes round and round and these are the things that fuel it.

JangoFart
06-09-2003, 02:09 AM
They made toys for the Holiday Special? What did I miss?

J

stad
06-09-2003, 02:45 AM
You missed the Bea Arthur and singing Leia figures!!!

Kidhuman
06-09-2003, 07:55 AM
So you really didn't miss anything

JEDIpartner
06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
It might have been said that Lucasfilm and Hasbro approached Cartoon Network because Lucasfilm and Hasbro were already working on a Clone Wars line together. They both had to go to Cartoon Network to pitch the idea as the designs and probably the initial sketches for the figures had been completed. What's the use in selling a line that has the same name as a cartoon that shares nothing with that toy line other than some of the characters? I think it would have caused a lot of confusion. Whether it was just Lucasfilm or Hasblah or both doesn't matter to me. I'm just stoked about the series and the toys.

Guess I'm a sucker! :rolleyes:

aceguide
06-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Agreed JEDIpartnr.

I am looking forward to the cartoon, and the toys.

I know that having shared the last Insider with my 6 year old that he is stoked for the cartoon and the toys. We are reading the comics too as he cannot seem to wait.

More Star Wars is a good thing. And that means toys too.

Oh - as for this being a marketing ploy.....

Isn't everything these days?

JEDIpartner
06-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by aceguide
Oh - as for this being a marketing ploy.....

Isn't everything these days?

Yeah... pretty much. If you can market products based on "reality TV"... it's quite obvious that there ain't a thing they can't do! :Pirate:

El Chuxter
06-11-2003, 05:44 PM
So are you worried that, with the dude behind Samurai Jack in charge, there will be no story in the Clone Wars shorts? :confused:

Keep in mind that, regardless of which company created them, Asajj Ventress and Durge first appeared in Dark Horse's comics, and they've already had quite a few intriguing adventures.

Also, remember that the Masters of the Universe, Transformers, GIJoe, MASK, etc, etc, etc, cartoons were completely created to sell toys. They were supposed to be forgotten when the lines died, not released in DVD season box sets twenty years later. It's the same reason Playmates, Saban, and Matchbox adapted or imported TMNT, Power Rangers, and Voltron.

aceguide
06-12-2003, 09:44 AM
El Chuxter - you nailed it.

I am continually amazed at how the toy companies and cartoon industry are so linked these days. In cartoon prime time (2-5p.m.) there does not seem to be a single show that does not have a SIGNIFICANT product tie-in.

Pokemon, Beyblade, Yugi-Oh, Digimon the list goes on and on. In many ways I feel that the cartoons are created as an afterthought in order to sell more plastic. And with a child in the house I can tell you it works. He is desperate for the latest product tie-in, and in many ways is not even interested in the cartoon as much as he is looking forward to a NEW collection.

And, for my final thought, what is even more mind boggling is how these new cartoons require the purchase of massive amounts of toys in order to be a player.

Dark Marble
06-12-2003, 11:40 AM
I think it is important to realize that we are lucky as collectors to have had Star Wars toys to collect for so long now. The toys started with the first movie in the 70's which continued into the mid 80's. A small break from about 1985 to 1994 and now we are up to our ears with plenty of toys and collectibles. And it is great to see that with new stories and tie-ins that we are going to be able to collect for a long time to come.

Yes, there is blatant marketing going on here, but I don't think things have strayed to far away from the original vision or the core story. I don't plan on getting to much of the clone wars toys, but I will pick up some, and I am glad the option is there. More to collect, more to display, more to the story of Star Wars. Isn't this what it is all about???

JangoFart
06-12-2003, 01:31 PM
You preach it, Dark Marble! I agree with everything you said except: I'll buy one of every Clone Wars critter made.

J

stillakid
06-12-2003, 01:40 PM

The world has changed since we were little kids. The fact is that NO children's programming gets beyond the pitch stage without a full marketing plan drawn up which, in most cases, includes toys of some sort.

So to answer your question, no, this is not merely a ploy to sell more toys. What likely happened is that someone got the idea to do this cartoon series, and business being what it is, they also realized that they A) wouldn't be able to sell the idea to any network without a toy tie-in, and B) that any toy tie-in wouldn't really hurt anyway, being that the Star Wars franchise already has a built in collectors market.

I hope this allays your fears and concerns. If there is anyone to blame, it is the buyers of the programs, not the creators or toy manufacturers themselves. :)

Dark Marble
06-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
You preach it, Dark Marble! I agree with everything you said except: I'll buy one of every Clone Wars critter made.

J

Yep, I probably will too. I always say I'm going to be picky only to end up with everything!! :rolleyes:

Dar' Argol
06-12-2003, 08:51 PM
One of the other things to remember, and some may not, was that at one time it was against the law to have a childrens show with a Toy tie-in. Masters of the Universe was one of the first TV shows to have a Toy. The law was lifted just prior to the start of that series. Imagine if the law had stayed. I don't think that MOTU or GI Joe, or Transformers would have done as well and imbeded themselves in our memory as much. I think they would have just been forgotton, just like Turbo Teen:D

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
If you can market products based on "reality TV"... it's quite obvious that there ain't a thing they can't do!

Please don't tell me that means a naked Richard figure from Survivor 1 is coming soon!

plasticfetish
06-13-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Please don't tell me that means a naked Richard figure from Survivor 1 is coming soon!
Yes and I hear it's short-packed.

plo koon 200
07-08-2003, 02:26 PM
I do agree that this is a marketing ploy and yes I will buy one of everything. However, I think some of you may not understand why the toys are being made. Mainly, they are being created to generate kid interest in the films. This way when EIII comes out all the kids will know what it is about and want to see it and will see it. This gets kid interest up so much more than if the movie were just to come out and that was all. Now, once a week a kid can watch a short cartoon and say, "oh, that's cool." Then, when EIII comes out they can advertise it and the kid will have to see it. Basically, this is the initial stage for the marketing of EIII. Just as SOTE was the startup marketing for the Special Editions. Let me tell you, if it weren't for SOTE I wouldn't have had any knowledge that the SE's were coming out. And, we mustn't forget that the SE'S were a marketing ploy for EI. If you haven't noticed EII did not do as well as it could have. If there was some sort of inbetween marketing I am certain the film would have done better.

A marketing ploy, yes. But just to sell toys. NO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Don't like this idea? Don't watch the show and don't buy the toys. However, I like Star Wars and I like Samurai Jack and I like collecting Star Wars toys, so I do't give a rat's fat bum why these are made, just so long as we get to see the Clone Wars. We've been waiting for the Clone Wars (or I have, anyway) since I saw them talking about in ANH, and here they are. So take it or leave it. :)

Tycho
07-20-2003, 03:28 AM
Guys, Steve and I saw the entire first episode at Comic Con and it rocks!

The entire audience of probably a couple thousand people were on their feet demanding it be re-shown!

The voices are right on, the annimation incredible, and sometimes even funny!

There's this scene where Anakin takes off in his starfighter he just finished customizing with the help of R2D2 and C-3PO, and he lifts off very close to a building and looks at Padme, standing in the window, and they both look so tragically sad as they acknowledge a silent good-bye to the "Across the Stars" theme by John Williams, and it just jerks my heart!

The fight scenes are incredible and the Clones have these new cloak-shape fighters they've adapted with Tyderium shuttle central dorsal fins that fold down totally around the back and underneathe the fighters once they take off from Coruscant - it's just stoo cool. Hasbro's gotta make a vehicle based on these mutli-crewman fighters that the Clone Pilots fly!

Oh, and one more thing, it seems Anakin could become a full-Jedi Knight and face his trials during the Clone Wars cartoon!

The whole audience loved this and screamed for more. I seriously doubt most of you will dislike it.

Man was I pumped when I saw this show!

plasticfetish
07-20-2003, 03:50 AM
Great to hear!
About how long was the episode and did they say exactly when they'd start airing them?

aceguide
07-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Wow! Thanks for the review.

I have to say that the pictures in the latest Insider really got me excited, and now to hear that the real deal is so well done.

Are there any additional pictures floating around? Would love another sneak peak...

jedi master sal
07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Tycho, you lucky bustard.....J/K Thanks for the review. I'm more pumped than ever to get cable just for this!

Did you take any photos while it was being played?

Well, did ya'?..........

Tycho
07-21-2003, 02:34 PM
I was sitting with Steve and I think he got some pictures but i think we had to keep the cameras down when they rolled the show. I was too busy getting so into it, that I don't know if Steve remembered to sneak any pictures, or just played it cool. I know he really liked the Clone Wars 'toons too. So that's two of us here that think this thing will be awesome!

There will initially be 10 episodes on Cartoon Network, starting in November (the exact date I'll post when I get a pile of notes from Comic Con out of my truck). It will first air at 8pm I believe.

The episodes are 3 minutes long. They will want to run a special with all of them aired back to back after about 10 weeks and all first-time runs are done. THey know we want a DVD, but that will be looked at later.

3 minutes is great with what they did in that time slot. You really can't knock this show, but it leaves you DESPERATELY thirsty for more!

They asked the audience if they wanted a half-hour or whole hour show and everyone (1040 people in seats plus more standing around all the isles) cheered forever for longer Star Wars cartoons.

Genndy (the creator) really wants to do "The Adventures of Han Solo and Chewbacca," his favorite characters. He wants to tell their Pre-Rebellon stories, and maybe some adventures after Yavin when they might get Mark Hamill! They have the support of Skywalker Sound for all authentic SW sounds originally mastered by Ben Burt! The Clone Wars and anything with Chewie in it later will sound exactly as it should. Anthony Daniels is back doing C-3PO!

They will see how Clone Wars does, and then there could be more. Han & Chewie have not been approved or even worked on yet - it's just the first one to be pitched due to their personal preferences. I think that's totally cool! But Clone Wars looks so sweet that I hope it gets continued for another 10 episodes and then some more!

-Tycho

jedi master sal
07-22-2003, 12:10 PM
D'oh, that's great BTW, that they will air all of the episode back to back (x 30). I would hate to miss an episode, and running them like that would assure me of seeing them all.

Thanks Tycho. Your still a lucky "B" though. I guess if I lived anywhere ear to SD, I'd have been there myself.

Tycho
07-22-2003, 12:28 PM
They promised the air time schedule would be easy to understand.

So far I haven't seen anything to determine whether or not I can understand it. :crazed:

Hellboy
07-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the review Tycho glad to hear you liked it. :)

I can't wait for it myself but I think many people are still pretty skeptical. I was wondering if you felt the animation style did a good job at capturing the feel of the SW universe? Do you know if the episodes will be short stories or one story divided into parts? From the sound of your review I got the feeling it will be one story since they plan on showing them back to back at some point.

The Adventures of Han Solo and Chewbacca :eek:
That could be the single best idea for a cartoon series I've ever heard. Imagine the possibilities :stupid:

Tycho
07-22-2003, 11:42 PM
It premiers November 7th at 8pm.

There will be 3 minute segments that both stand by themselves and build up to a larger story.

The animation is very true to Star Wars!

Everyone's going to like this!

mabudonicus
07-23-2003, 09:19 AM
That's a pretty glowing review... did you stop by the mouse-droid concession before or after, Tycho;)?

jedi master sal
07-23-2003, 02:31 PM
That's a pretty glowing review... did you stop by the mouse-droid concession before or after, Tycho;)?

If he was sniffin' mouse droids again, and especially before the cartoon, then I wouldn't hold too much weight to the review..... ;) J/K Tycho...