PDA

View Full Version : Are you satisfied with the Official Fan Club?

Tycho
06-09-2003, 02:45 AM
The 12" Jedi Council members were supposed to continue to be available for a while, especially since Plo Koon seemed to have a short shipment, and then they were supposed to continue with at least SaeSee Tiin, and rumors indicated Eeth Koth as well.

The 3 3/4" army builder 4-packs were supposed to go on, with Rebel Fleet Troopers and Sandtroopers being available through the Fan Club, following CommTech Stormtroopers and Endor Rebel Soldiers being offered in good quantities.

The trend could've continued with Hoth Rebel Soldiers, Snowtroopers, Death Star Troopers, Bikerscouts, Imperial Officers and so on.

For some people, earlier 2003 figures like Darth Tyranus or Padme Droid Factory are still hard to get - but these very same people trust the Fan Club with orders moreso than many online stores.

Meanwhile, Fan Club members continue to receive the Insider (which you can subscribe to independantly from being a Fan Club Member) but only the club folks receive Bantha Tracks in every other issue.

The Club has a few very narrow categories of merchandise it offers, but most people still don't understand that they should check out the Jawa Trader online at Wizards' website to try and find their toys and collectibles.

However, I might add that if people do understand that, they still don't understand why they can't find [fill in the blank] there.

So what do you think about the value of the Fan Club today?

What recommendations can you make to other Star Wars fans, and the Fan Club's administrators?

Have at it!

mini-rock
06-09-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
The 12" Jedi Council members were supposed to continue to be available for a while, especially since Plo Koon seemed to have a short shipment, and then they were supposed to continue with at least SaeSee Tiin, and rumors indicated Eeth Koth as well.

Are they still doing this? I thought they refused to carry Plo Koon entirely which gave me the impression that the FC wasn't going to finish the Jedi exclusives.:confused:

Tycho
06-09-2003, 03:15 AM
That's right. I got my Plo Koon from NewForceComics. I forgot.

And now I wish I'd ordered 2 of him like I had done with Ki-Adi Mundi.

dr_evazan22
06-09-2003, 09:11 AM
I only ordered 1 Plo also, and wish i had gotten 2.

I said that I was, overall, happy w/ the FC. The man thing I'm a member for is the Insider, and occasionally to order an exclusive. I was able to get TF Vader thru the FC, the IMAX poster. I don't care too much about anything that's not an exclusive, like the Hasbro fig's, or the WOTC RPG. I generally find that they are overpriced there.

Someone else commented in another thread that you shouldn't really have "Teen Beat" expectations.

JangoFart
06-09-2003, 10:25 AM
I think this horse has already been beaten a week or two ago in the forums.

J

Masterdorkboy
06-09-2003, 11:40 AM
I just renewed my membership, basically because I dig the Insider. I also have alot of wishful thinking in hoping they do actually start releasing more troop builders. I also got a couple TF Vaders and got a bunch of stormtroopers from the FC, but I'm pretty much just in it for the mag.

bobafrett
06-09-2003, 01:05 PM
I plan on renewing my membership especially since my e-mail to the fan club was addressed and I was sent my long overdue membership kit. I'm hoping that eventually the fan club will be able to offer some more items like the old fan club did. I also enjoy the Bantha Tracks section which focus's on the fans of Star Wars and Star Wars related events.

JediTricks
06-09-2003, 09:39 PM
I let my membership lapse a while back, but not mainly due to the ability to get Hasbro or any other merchandising. I became increasingly disappointed with the content of the Insider and the lack of any other "fan club" offerings - beyond a fairly dull magazine surrounding the now-pathetic Jawa Trader catalog. Being a member of the "official fan club" was no more rewarding than subscribing to USA Today. Then there was the idea that Hasbro was trying to corner the Star Wars market by buying up WOTC and the Fan Club, and now letting former top execs from WOTC manage the Fan Club through their new company called Paizo (which can't even get their relationship with Hasbro working - that's outright confusing).

Beyond my feeling that I feel that the whole idea of the "official Star Wars fan club" has lapsed into mediocrity, yes the merchandising end has been handled very badly since the Hasbro buy-out a few years ago and even worse with Paizo taking over management of the FC. I don't foresee myself resubscribing to the FC or Insider now, especially with this SW.com subscription thing which bugs the heck out of me - it's like having to join 2 fan clubs now. I dunno, it feels like joining these "official Star Wars fan clubs" is hollow and unrewarding these days.

skeeziks22
06-10-2003, 12:23 AM
I actually just renewed my membership today, but only for the magazine, and the off chance that I may get something out of it with the conventions this summer. I don't do it for the Bantha Tracks section, which I find repetitive and boring.

However, I had to call (a 1-706 number, not toll free??? give me a break!) to find out if my subscription had lapsed since I had not yet received the newest mag, and also received no renewal notice in the mail. I guess they are not even worried if they keep members now.

Did they ever have the Endor Troop Builder set? I never saw them online, and every time I called they said they didn't have them.

FC benefits are terrible, and I am not impressed at all by Paizo.

Kidhuman
06-10-2003, 01:33 PM
I have never joined the fan club. I don't really know if it is worth it. If you could get exclusives alot easier I would, but somepeople say it is hassle. I will wait and see........

scruffziller
06-10-2003, 03:15 PM
I quit because it wasn't an expense that was important now.

lemleytwins
06-10-2003, 05:03 PM
The magazine is OK, but I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to be able to find more of the figures there. Usually the ones I see there are the same ones I can get at any store for half the price. And that is another thing, how come Walmart can sell them for $4.79, while the official fan club has to sell them for $8 + shipping and handeling.

jrosen
06-10-2003, 10:33 PM
Walmart takes a loss on a lot of their products in the hope that it attracted you to the store. Then it can sell higher markup items, such as food and magazines once you are there. The fan club sells a lot less quantaties of the figures so it can't markdown the figures to their cost and still maintain a profit or at least break even. So it has to sell them at a higher price. Still the fan club sucks because you have to be a member to receive the member price which is higher then you can buy them elsewhere.

JediTricks
06-11-2003, 12:53 AM
If the Fan Club made it possible for "true fans" like ourselves (ah, never though I'd miss the old FANtastic Media) to acquire retailer exclusives like the TIE Bomber without selling out ridiculously early, I'd probably sign back up. Heck, there's probably a million "if they did this" scenarios out there that'd make the FC more tolerable, but that's not what this thread is about, I guess.

Ultimately, it didn't bother me one iota when my subscription ended and that is a sad state of affairs. The FC wasn't perfect before, but since Hasbro bought it, it's become something I don't want to be a part of.

jedihunter25
06-11-2003, 03:03 AM
I enjoy the magazine, BUT the Fan Club store website really sucks. I ended up clearing my cookies and can't get signed back in. I even called to see if this could be fixed and they told me that it will say in the issues but there is nothing. If you change your E-mail address your basically screwed too. They should have it to where you can sign in with your membership number. Plus everytime I go on there, the newest products are still from a year ago and that hasn't changed.

Dago-BAH
06-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Well, I like the magazine, but it has gone a little down hill since Pizza Piazo Peezio Publishing took over. The articles seem to have less and less substance. It's a stuggle to get through them nowadays, so I don't read much more than the prequel update usually, which doesn't tell you much anyway. George is still writing! George is still writing! Whoopdeedo! But I will still subscribe to the magazine because I am a TRUE FAN (pun intended).

As for the exclusives, I don't subscribe to the club because of this reason, but I guess they are pretty dry lately.... just builder sets if I am correct. I don't really like the idea of exclusives to begin with. I mean I live in a large college town (University of Florida, Gainesville), and I don't have access to a KB nearby. So I miss out on KB exclusives usually. I can only imagine what some smaller towns have to do to get everything. Not every town has a Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, KB, and Toys R Us. And then you have to be a Fan Club member on top of that. I don't know how normal people do it. Or am I the only completist that is pulling all my hair out?

Dago-BAH

Rogue74
06-12-2003, 12:13 AM
I like the SW Insider, but in light of the new Hyperspace pay service and the Fan Club saying that you will get all the newest info through them, I'm disappointed.

kool-aid killer
06-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Ive never been a member and see no reason to join now. The fan club seems like more of a hassle than anything judging by some of these posts.

bobafrett
06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Ah but for the old days of the fan club, circa 1979. They had a simple little mailer called Bantha Tracks, and you could get cool patches, iron ons, pencils, 8X10's and I even have a t-shirt with the old Bantha tracks logo on it (it doesn't fit at the moment). They had a cool creativity contest as well as other cool stuff that just wasn't the same as today's Insider. You felt like a fan club member, instead of just a person subscribing to a magazine.

JediTricks
06-12-2003, 10:59 PM
The original Fan Club was also how my friend Rick got his Revenge of the Jedi tshirt.

bobafrett
06-13-2003, 12:27 AM
I won an Obi Wan Kenobi Mug as one of the prizes in the creativity contest. On the bottom it reads "Star Wars c 1977 20th century fox film corp. Rumph calif originals usa 26"
it reamains one of my most favorite mugs. I wish I had the money back then to complete the collection. I know there was a Chewbacca. Anyway, it was a really cool item through the old fan club, and the new one, as much as I might like it, falls flat compared to the old FC. I'm still going to keep my membership going.

InsaneJediGirl
06-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Its okay..nothing to jump up and down about.I honestly wish though they would fire Steve Sansweet and get someone new to do the Collecting Q&A.Could just be me,but I feel he has this 'Better than any collector' out there complex.

Back to the magazine,it would be worthwhile if they offered store exclusives and such,more interesting articles,etc. but I dont see it happening.I am subscribed,and will keep on being a subscriber,I'm just not impressed.One thing I do like is the ongoing Fiction section,always nice to read a short SW story:D