PDA

View Full Version : Why do they wear those hats?

stillakid
06-09-2003, 01:40 PM
I just got the Ashla, Jempa, and Chian figures (thanks KEBco!) and got to wondering why those kids are wearing those hats anyway? Are they to protect the little rugrats from stray Remote laser fire or what?

Hmm?

The Overlord Returns
06-09-2003, 02:06 PM
More than likely. I imagine one of those little blasts could give a wee one quite the concussion ;)

TheDarthVader
06-09-2003, 03:02 PM
I imagine they are used more for blinding the youngling than protecting the head but happen to serve this dual purpose. Remember, Luke did not wear a helmet until Obi-Wan wanted him to "stretch out with his feelings" and defend himself without sight. Just my opinion, but I believe they are used to "blind" the younglings in order to better their force skills.

Pendo
06-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I'll go with the blinding theory.

Also they may be used to enhance the youngun's Force ability, until they're skilled enough to try without one.

PENDO!

Dar Basra
06-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Or ...

Embarassment is the key to sublimation of one's emotions.

Darth Jax
06-09-2003, 08:04 PM
when we first see the younglings being trained by yoda, the helmets are down covering their eyes. yoda is explaining to them that they must use their feelings to 'see' the remote. much the same thing that obi-wan later does for luke with the blast shield down on the helmet.

when the younglings assist obi in his quest for the missing planet, they tilt the helmets back enabling them to once again see.

stillakid
06-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Pendo

Also they may be used to enhance the youngun's Force ability, until they're skilled enough to try without one.

PENDO!

So the helmets are laced with Midichlorians?

Pendo
06-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
So the helmets are laced with Midichlorians?

I don't know, possibly.

I heard that the band Obi-Wan wears around his head when flying his Jedi Starfighter helps to enhance his Force ability to fly his Starfighter. Whether that's a load of bull I don't know :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

stillakid
06-10-2003, 11:22 AM
I don't know, possibly.

I heard that the band Obi-Wan wears around his head when flying his Jedi Starfighter helps to enhance his Force ability to fly his Starfighter. Whether that's a load of bull I don't know :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

Hmm? So what they are really doing is forcing the little buggers into slavery. :Pirate:

Pendo
06-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Hmm? So what they are really doing is forcing the little buggers into slavery. :Pirate:

No. I can't even see where it comes close to forcing them into slavery. All I was suggesting is that the helmets may help the younguns to enhance and use their force ability more easily. I don't think it has anything to do with slavery.

PENDO!

stillakid
06-10-2003, 11:35 AM
No. I can't even see where it comes close to forcing them into slavery. All I was suggesting is that the helmets may help the younguns to enhance and use their force ability more easily. I don't think it has anything to do with slavery.

PENDO!

No, I meant forcing the Midichlorians into slavery. They are symbiotic sentient organism who "talk" to the Star Wars people, aren't they? You'd think the Jedi would treat them with a little more respect than that. ;)

Pendo
06-10-2003, 11:39 AM
No, I meant forcing the Midichlorians into slavery. They are symbiotic sentient organism who "talk" to the Star Wars people, aren't they? You'd think the Jedi would treat them with a little more respect than that. ;)

Oh LOL, my bad :rolleyes::p. Yeah I suppose in a way it would be forcing the Midichlorians into slavery if the Midichlorians didn't want to do it. But perhaps it would enhance the force ability not by affecting the midichlorians, but by allowing the children to communicate with them easier :).

But then again, who's to say they do enhance their ability? Darth Jax is right, the main function of the helmets were used to shield their eyes :).

PENDO!

stillakid
06-10-2003, 05:57 PM

But then again, who's to say they do enhance their ability? Darth Jax is right, the main function of the helmets were used to shield their eyes :).

PENDO!

:D Then why don't they just wear some nifty Matrix glasses? :cool:

TheDarthVader
06-10-2003, 06:50 PM

PENDO!

Hey now, hey now...I posted this thought first. :) ;) TheDarthVader was right. lol :D Darth Jax just agreed and further elaborated.

Pendo
06-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
Hey now, hey now...I posted this thought first. :) ;) TheDarthVader was right. lol :D Darth Jax just agreed and further elaborated.

LOL, actually yours was just an opinion...

Originally posted by TheDarthVader
Just my opinion
...where as Darth Jax actually confirmed that they were used that way in the films :p.

PENDO!

stillakid
06-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Now that that is cleared up ;), I was just looking at my new Clone Boy action figure and I got to wondering just what that silly earmuff thing is on his head.

mini-rock
06-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Now that that is cleared up ;), I was just looking at my new Clone Boy action figure and I got to wondering just what that silly earmuff thing is on his head.

From the Visual Dictionary:

"Odd Class Helmets - The clones wear special learning helmets, which are color coded to reflect odd or even numbering. Odd or even is the only distinction the clones are allowed."

mini-rock
06-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Oh yeah, as for the younglings hats The Darth Vader nailed it. Here's what the Visual Dictionary says:

"Novice Helmet - Young initiates wear helmets that mask their vision, training them to see using the Force rather than their bodily senses alone."

Dar Basra
06-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Visual Dictionary
"Novice Helmet - Young initiates wear helmets that mask their vision, training them to see using the Force rather than their bodily senses alone."
Which makes for some really fun games during bathroom breaks!

stillakid
06-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Dar Basra
Which makes for some really fun games during bathroom breaks!

Hey, (and I should be embarrassed about this :rolleyes: ) me and my brothers used to play "lightsabers", you know, when we went #1. Of course that was when we were much smaller. It was kinda weird then...it would be right out of bounds now. :eek:

Thanks for the info MR! :)

But, what is a "learning helmet"? Do odd #'d students go in "these" classrooms while even #'d students go in "those" classrooms? Or do the helmets have special sci-fi magic powers which accelerate intelligence or something? If that's the case, why are more people using them around the galaxy to get smarter? The Kaminoians (sp?) would have a sellers market on that sort of thing, one would think.

mini-rock
06-10-2003, 09:33 PM
But, what is a "learning helmet"? Do odd #'d students go in "these" classrooms while even #'d students go in "those" classrooms?

I would say no. The even/ odd numbered helmets are also different in color, and the young clones we do see in AOTC are all sittiing in one big room even though they have different colored helmets.

Or do the helmets have special sci-fi magic powers which accelerate intelligence or something?

From what I'm reading here it says it modulates brainwaves and enhances the clones' ability to retain instruction.

If that's the case, why are more people using them around the galaxy to get smarter? The Kaminoians (sp?) would have a sellers market on that sort of thing, one would think.

I guess the Kaminoans could, but the focus of clone training is more on military knowledge rather than academics. So my guess is that they don't sell the helmets to avoid competition, if there is any.