PDA

View Full Version : The comming glut.....

INDIANA
06-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Shouldn't there be thousands of cases of figures somewhere? NONE of this years waves have been found in abundance anywhere. There are no figures from this year warming shelves. There was no wide distribution of the assortments containing Eath Koth & Teebo, the wave after that which DIDN'T have Eath Koth & Teebo, the Lama Su wave, the Obi & Tyranus wave. Where are all these figures? Even now, the Padawans and Han/Chewie waves are showing up with Coleman Trbor and Luke Throne Room right on their tails. Shouldn't there be thousands of cases of the Boba Fett, Padawans, and Han/Chewie sitting in a warehouse somewhere? Are all these cases going to start showing up at retail over and over for the next 6 months, blocking new waves from being ordered like the Yoda/Destroyer droid is STILL doing (I saw it AGAIN this morning)! Were the numbers GREATLY reduced on these assortments so we don't have to worry about a huge surplus sitting somewhere? It would be great if some discount stores had these showing up cheap. It would suck if we see Teebo and screaming Padme all over the place at Christmas with no room for new stuff again.

jedi master sal
06-09-2003, 05:48 PM
(I posted this same message in the "Polls" forum but I thought it appropriate to repost here.)

You can blame low pre-orders.

Since retailers had a chance to preview toys at Toyfair in February and again at Hasbro's "secret" showing, pre-orders have been coming in, but very low in numbers. Part of the reason for that is: the overstocking of retailers and the overproduction of certain waves of figures and other Star Wars toys by Hasbro. Now that a few months have gone by, there has been plenty of outcry from not just kids and collectors but retailers as well and Hasbro is very aware of it's production blunder. It will take a little more time but new waves of figures will be showing up at retail in the near future.

(This is a shame because it appears that there is declining interest in the line, when that can't be farther from the truth.) You think that Hasbro AND retailers would have learned from the previous, Episode I, line, but apparently in a mood of greed, all major retailers did not want to be "left behind" in sales and again ordered in droves.

This information came to me from a recent friend of mine who is in the business of purchasing. Where specifically he got the information mentioned above, I don't know. He does have a masters degree (MBA=Master of Business Administration) and a very good job in business as well, so I know he's on the up and up. I told him about the problem with Hasbro and he said he'd look into it if he had the time, and apparently he did. When I told him that I wanted to pass this information along to SirSteve's (I explained to him what that was) all he asked was to keep his name private. (I guess it has something to do with business, so I don't want to cause trouble for him, but I hope this info helps.)

So let's hope that this is one sign, that not only will the new waves be showing up soon, but that Hasbro itself will reexamine it's production, ordering and distribution policies.

NOTE: While this doesn't seem to address the figures that were slated for release in January you can surmise that ordering for more Star Wars toys was low at that time and months before as well and therefore the new 2003 waves were not found in great numbers at the start of the year either.

Old Fossil
06-09-2003, 10:58 PM
(1) It's a non-movie year.
(2) It's the year after a movie year.

Remember 2000-2001? Pretty slim pickings back then, if I remember. I thought POTJ would never hit the shelves -- I was sick to death of seeing those red cards with Maul's visage staring out at me.

The last waves of EpI were rare, due to -- see Sal's post above -- low pre-orders. At least, I think so. Same situation here. I think these last few blue-carded Saga figures won't be as rare as, say, TC-14 and Sio Bibble, but they will be the most uncommon Saga figures to date. I'm talking about Hoth Han, Carkoon Fett, Aayla Secura and Barris Offee, Jedi Younglings, etc.

Just my two cents.

INDIANA
06-10-2003, 11:39 AM
But where are the figures? Not the new ones, the ones that SHOULD have been here this year. I'm not complaining that there are no new figures (everyone has done that), what I am asking is does Hasbro have all the assortments that were suppose to hit retailers warehoused somewhere still to be distributed. I count almost 8 case assortments that got vitually NO distribution. Unless Hasblow made all those figures in VERY small amounts, all those figures NEED to be somewhere. Are they going to start showing up at stores MONTHS after they should have been released and clog up the pegs with more garbage so the new stuff comming in the fall ALSO has horrid distribution?

jedi master sal
06-10-2003, 02:44 PM
From what I infer from my friends finding, yes. The problem with distribution is going to be in exhistence for awhile. We'll be lucky if this whole things gets straightened out by the end of the year. The Clone Wars line will suffer some as will subsequent waves of Saga figures.

(This is a dark time in collecting. At a time when we should all be happy and thriving in our fandom, the economy has plagued us too.)

Kidhuman
06-10-2003, 03:45 PM
If you really want to get the figures, invest in a case. If you are worried about the duplicates maybe you and a friend could go halvsies on it. Me, if I get duplicates, I have 2 kids that always want toys so they will be pleased as well.

OC47150
06-12-2003, 03:49 PM
I think we will be deluged with new figures in the very near future. The figures that were hard to find in late winter/early spring will start to show up. Be patient, give it some time

Yes, I still believe there are still cases of Sio Bibbles and TC-14s collecting dust bunnies in warehouses across the country. (OK, I can dream, right?)

BoShek
06-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Why doesn't ONE store order the new figures and keep them coming in? Like "Toys R Us, your home of Star Wars! New figures arriving weekly!"

:confused: