PDA

View Full Version : Buying on line...

INDIANA
11-19-2001, 04:57 PM
I have read of a lot of people seemingly making the jump to just buying on line and forgetting the increasingly headache prone hunting at stores.

Am I getting the right impression here? Have a lot of you just started to pay the higher price and shipping cost to just get the damn things and not run around? I have switched jobs recently and it has been a REAL pain in the @&& to go looking. The idea of getting them on line has come up, BUT I do have a few questions....if you don't mind...

Who do you trust to buy from?

Do you consider the prices fair?

How do the pieces come to your home (any damaged or really screwed up looking figures?)

Is customer service good or even existant (something I believe most of the retail stores have completely given up on!)?

Do they come in a timely fashion, not weeks after you may have even seen them in stores yourself? I understand a lot of people have recieved the FX-7 wave already, is this the standard?

I STRONGLY anticipate a HUGE problem picking up the Teebo wave next year and am considering the on-line buying thingy, so thanks for your answers.

Wolfwood319
11-19-2001, 05:34 PM
There's a few routes you can take.

For new cases, I go with Entertainmentearth, they're prices are par with what cases go for, they have guarenteed every piece to be mint unless otherwise noted, and I've never had a problem with them.

Another good site is Brianstoys. They have very high prices, but for service they are second to none. Very fast delivery, and condition is as stated. But again, they have higher prices than most.

These are 2 excellent sources I suggest, hope this helps.

bigbarada
11-19-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Another good site is Brianstoys. They have very high prices, but for service they are second to none. Very fast delivery, and condition is as stated. But again, they have higher prices than most.

I agree wholeheartedly. Brian's Toys hasn't done me wrong yet and I've been buying from them for 5 years.:cool:

JEDIpartner
11-20-2001, 09:59 AM
I have to agree with Wolfie and Barada. Brian's toys has been the best!

Just as an example... I placed an order on Monday, 5 November and the box showed up at my door by the following Friday. I have never had any problems with them at all!

I'm not into buying full cases as Barada does, so I like Brian's Toys for the individual pieces. I just picked up my Millennium Minted Coin C-3P0 from them. They do a great job with packing, so if you are a MOMC of MIMB collector- they really show they care.

I have had some bed luck with a couple other places, but I won't bother mentioning them. Just go with the suggestions you are getting here.

The only thing I'm holding off on is the new FX-7 wave... I think $20 is a bit much for a new figure.

SirSteve
11-20-2001, 10:22 AM
You can check out our advertisers:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1728

JEDIpartner
11-20-2001, 12:04 PM
that too!!!

Heeheehee... :p

INDIANA
11-21-2001, 08:35 AM
I just checked out Brian's Toys. Uhhhhh, a bit on the high side, no? Does the price INCLUDE shipping or is that extra as well?

bigbarada
11-21-2001, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by INDIANA
I just checked out Brian's Toys. Uhhhhh, a bit on the high side, no? Does the price INCLUDE shipping or is that extra as well?

They are a little high when it comes to new figures so you might want to wait awhile for the prices to drop which they always do. Even though they charge $20 each for new figures, they are constantly selling out of them.

Wolfwood319
11-21-2001, 12:06 PM
That's because what BToys say they have, they have, and you get. Higher price for better service, although I mostly get vintage stuff from them.

GNT
11-22-2001, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319

*cough* *cough* scalper alert *cough* *cough* scalpers!!!

ChronicJedi
11-23-2001, 03:32 AM
Planet Action Figure is the best site for the newest figures. I pre-order all of mine through them. Sometimes it can take a while for your order to arrive depending on where you're name is on the preorder list, I guess. I just cancel if I happen to find them at retail first. When buying online though I always expect to pay at least twice as much as retail cost. I don't really have a choice though (Or so it seems sometimes) Because I live in Canada and availability is not always for certain. After the Ep 1 crisis and having to resort to eBay more than a year after their initial release, I'll take my chances online.

Jargo
11-24-2001, 08:06 AM
I found Carl at collectorsgallery to be really helpful in my hunt for tie fighters. As I'm buying internationaly it was never going to be cheap but over-all the experience was painless and I'm not too much out of pocket. He actually seems to have sourced them for me as when I ordered he had none in stock. I got an email teling me that he would try to find some and lo! a couple of weeks later another email telling me he sent them out. Both arrived in mint condition with no postal damage to the sturdy box even. Can't say fairer than that.

I also use a lot of stores in the UK and European mainland. which works out a hell of a lot cheaper. All the places I use have been reccomended online on various websites so I try them once and if their good I'll use them again. So far none of the stores I've tried have done me wrong. All have excellent goods at excellent quality. All have competitive prices, All have good shipping rates. All have excellent service agreements and staff.
Frankly I'd rather buy online because you get a better class of service IMO. Real world stores are arrogant and self serving. The staff are aloof and unhelpful. Stock is never worth the prices asked.

It may not be the same as buying in real world stores to buy online buy the hunt is still there kinda. I hunt out the best deals and price compare without the headache of travelling miles to visit each real world store only to find nothing. At least online you save your legs, the car fuel bill and don't get the same disappointed feeling if you don't find anything. It's just a click to the next store.

The only danger I found in online shopping is that I spend more than I would normally, because I'm tempted by so much good stuff these places have squirreled away..... :crazed:

Fulit
11-24-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by INDIANA

Who do you trust to buy from?

Do you consider the prices fair?

How do the pieces come to your home (any damaged or really screwed up looking figures?)

Is customer service good or even existant (something I believe most of the retail stores have completely given up on!)?

Do they come in a timely fashion, not weeks after you may have even seen them in stores yourself? I understand a lot of people have recieved the FX-7 wave already, is this the standard?

I am partial to New Force Comics, Entertainment Earth, Maybang Collectibles, and, in occasional emergencies, Toymaniacs.

The prices are not always fair, but to me its better to order a set of 4 or 5 new figures for 40 plus shipping, rather than spend that much in gas and not be guaranteed anything.

I have never had anything close to a damaged piece arrive at my home, the closest I had was Brian's Toys sold me an opened Millennium Falcon for 40 bucks once, but I complained and they refunded 20 dollars. Not bad, I guess.

Customer Service is pretty good at most of these places, I've actually had a couple of them call me at home long distance to talk about an order. You can get email responses from most of these guys within 24 hours or less.

The places I order from usually send stuff out in a timely fashion, the only ones I've had problems with were Yestertoys and Planet Action Figure, who never seem to get their stuff when they say they will.

Overall, I've had a positive experience collecting online, it's definitely for people like me who think the "thrill of the hunt" is only thrilling when you actually find something.