PDA

View Full Version : New Mini Sets

aceguide
06-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Just a heads up - the new mini sets are available at lego shop at home. I think it's $6.99 each or all 4 for $27.99.

I plan on picking these up - just not yet. Looking forward to reading some reviews. I was really pleased with the first sets. These look to be equly as good, and bigger (in the mini sense).

JediTricks
06-11-2003, 10:08 PM
I have 3 of the sets already (just waiting on the 4th set so I can do a feature here on SSG about 'em) and they're cool. I liked that, though they were MINIs, they were still a lot more pieces than the first wave of sets, and each vehicle is too large to fit in its box once fully built.

There isn't much to the MTT, it doesn't have a slide-out droid rack or anything, but it's almost as large as the Action Fleet version. It looks good sliding along my table, but has some accuracy issues at the front.

The Gunship is neat, lots of detail, but I am bugged by how wobbly the wings are - though with some modification, the wobble is totally gone. I'm strongly considering redesigning it so the doors open to reveal an interior, but I haven't figured out how to do the curved back wall.

The AT-AT is interesting, but I'm a stickler for this vehicle so this one didn't quite live up for my expectations. The head doesn't move side to side, only up and down; the legs don't move in at the hips, only out (in other words, the front legs move forward and not backwards, the back legs only move backwards and not forwards) so the poseability is limited for accuracy's sake, though the poseability is actually very good in general.

The Y-wing is incredible, I could not stop looking at mine (though it's missing one of the engines) and flying it around, it's a great companion to the X-wing set.

aceguide
06-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Is the Y-wing the same scale as the first release?

JediTricks
06-12-2003, 11:33 PM
The bonus Y-wing sure seems in scale to me. It's a little tough to compare the scale from the Y-wing to the X-wing though because on paper, the Y-wing is significantly larger than the X-wing.

bobafrett
07-30-2003, 01:01 AM
I found all 4 of the new sets at a Target store on North Ave. in Villa Park. I posted this news in the "Just Found" Chicagoland area section. I must say though, I am very happy with all 4 vehicles. I was glad to have the Y-wing as the bonus vehicle.

I also picked up the large AT-AT, and I must say while I was slightly dissappointed by the size of this one, I like the overall look,and ease of putting it together. I'm glad to have these as a part of my ever growing SW lego sets.

mtriv73
07-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Is there any word on a 3rd set of these yet? I picked up 3 of the 4 saturday morning (I can't decide whether I want the MTT.) They all look pretty good (esp. the gunship) but I think the falcon will need a little work to make it look better. The AT-AT I could have lived without. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have pieces I need for the Y-wing (great marketing strategy Lego!)

JediTricks
07-31-2003, 11:12 PM
No word yet on a 3rd wave.

I like the MTT, but it is somewhat bland unless you like brown pieces. It's fairly big though and is needed for the Y-wing (which is awesome IMO) so you should grab it.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-02-2003, 10:23 PM
I got all of these at Meijer and Target last week. I think they're better than the first wave, which was pretty good in it's own right. I totally agree that the MTT is pretty boring though. The Y-Wing rocks. I'd say it's in scale to the X-wing, but not to the other vehicles in this wave. I'd say the AT-AT gets an A+, the Y-Wing and Gunship and Falcon each get an A, and the MTT gets a C.

mtriv73
08-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Actually, you could just buy 2 falcons for the extra parts of the Y-wing. That's what I did with the last set (I bought an extra X-wing/Vader Tie for the other wing of the bomber rather than the pod racers.) I broke down and bought the MTT anyway though. I really hope Lego keeps going with these. A B-wing, A-wing, Tie-interceptor, and a Tantive IV would be great for the next set. Maybe even a small death star or star destroyer. I guess I'll just have to be patient and see. If Lego reads this though, I just want them to know that I hadn't bought a lego set in 15+ years until these came out and now I'm hooked.

LusiferSam
08-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Well I just got my a few days. The falcon more then lived up to my expeditions and best in my opinion. MTT is kind of lack luster and little to be positive or negative. The gunship is also very cool. The AT-AT is my biggest disappointment. I can't pin point what I don't like about it (yet) be there is just something. And final the Y-Wing is great it just blew my out of the water.

yngadult
08-15-2003, 05:15 PM
For something this size, nothing beat micromachines, but, since they're not available now, this I guess is the next best thing.