PDA

View Full Version : Hyperspace - Worth it??

aceguide
06-11-2003, 01:25 PM
OK - so this could be merged into a few places, but I had to ask:

Those of you with Hyperspace access - is it worth it?

I'm torn over whether to subscribe. I will go on record that for almost a $40 magazine subscription (Insider) you should have automatic access. But I guess I'm wondering how great the Hyperspace content is? I assume it promises to be even better as the production process moves along.

Your responses are appreciated.

Beast
06-11-2003, 01:39 PM
So far, from what I've read and seen....I'd say yes. Especially after the live chat with Rick McCallum last night. Not to mention the on set web diary. And the few spoilers that have already slipped out thru there. :)

As for getting free access with the Insider Subscription, they are really two differnt beasts. And remeber, that they have to pay for the web documentarian's room and board while he's over in Australia. Lucas isn't footing the bill for him. So it's not like they are making a bundle off this.

And besides, as much complaining as there was about wanting to see more of the production after seeing the E1 DVD "The Beginning" documentary, it's a great asset to delve into the production of the final film in the Star Wars Saga.

In my opinion, it's more then worth it. Especially since you can pay more then $20.00 for a year of a sci-fi magazine subscription. And with the printing time and such, the news is usually old by the time the magazine hits the news stands. Here you're getting fresh info, straight from the source. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
06-11-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm saying yes too, but only because of the McCallum chat and the exclusive video. I think it would have been possible for StarWars.com to provide all the info without charging the fans, but then again it's early days and as more and more exclusive content come up I will probably realise what the $19.95 was worth :).
I also like it because the UK lack a decent up-to-date magazine with exclusive info. So Hyperspace is the best place for me to get that info :).

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
06-11-2003, 02:03 PM
I'm sharing a subscription with 3 friends so it's REALLY worth it! :evil:

plo koon 200
06-11-2003, 07:54 PM
They still need more video stuff. Everything else they put up is posted on the websites. I know the Clone Wars cartoons will be available the day they are aired but that isn't enough. The Webcam maybe $5 worth. No audio and updated every 20 seconds, bleh! I would like to see more deleted scenes and I would like them to fix up some deleted scenes, no scene mentioned. I would also like a full hour documentary every 3-6 months and I think for it being online that what I'm asking for is not unreasonable. Oh, and one more thing, an exlcuisve silver figure from Hasbro since every promotion these days needs a silver figure.

Beast
06-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Filming hasn't even really began yet, plo koon 200. As the filming starts ramping up soon the site will be sure to pay off. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
06-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Yah yah, I know but still they could throw in a silver fugure. I mean can't they? Okay, maybe for an extra 100 Jedi master points but come on where is my silver figure. And what the heck about my points. I know they said they have a program in works but how about having special offers to those who pay for hyperspace and as well special offers to members of the fan club and even better offers to those who have both such as me and I'm sure the rest of you.

El Chuxter
06-13-2003, 12:23 PM
My input would be no, because my current hardware makes it impossible for me to enjoy any of the stuff there.

I'd like to go on the record and state that any doubt in my mind that Lucas is a money-hungry Hutt has been dispelled by my brief glance at the Hyperspace website. I guess those of us without DVD-ROMs and top of the line computers aren't worth Uncle George's time anymore.

Beast
06-18-2003, 03:49 AM
Seems to be more worth it now, for you folks that like the Master Replica's Prop Replicas. :)

$75.00 Off Master Replicas Props
June 17, 2003

To celebrate the launch of starwars.com Hyperspace, the crafts-people at Master Replicas are offering all Hyperspace members $75.00 off the purchase of any in-stock prop replica by June 30, 2003. While supplies last, this discount could be applied to such highly-detailed items as...

Darth Vader's lightsaber
Darth Vader's lightsaber (Signature Edition)
Jedi Training Remote
Darth Maul's lightsaber
Darth Maul's lightsaber (Signature Edition)
Count Dooku's lightsaber
Count Dooku's lightsaber (Signature Edition)
... and more!

If you are already a Hyperspace member, click here for ordering instructions.

If you haven't "made the jump" yet, now is the perfect time to take advantage of the celebration. At just $19.95 a year, you will still receive over $50 in savings, plus access to the unique Hyperspace features and content you've been thinking about. Click here to get started.

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/news/news20030617.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
06-18-2003, 05:22 AM
I've looked at the site and the l-sabers are listed as $349 . Is that with or without the $75 off?

PENDO!

Beast
06-18-2003, 09:07 AM
That's without the $75.00 off. If you follow the link reading "If you are already a Hyperspace member, click here for ordering instructions." then you'll be taken to a page with the ordering info and the savings code. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
06-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Why can't we get an action figure discount? The replicas still cost too much.

JEDIpartner
06-19-2003, 02:11 PM
At approximately 16h40, Sydeny time, they unpacked numerous Artoo-Detoo units. It's was a pretty cool thing to see...!!!

Just thought I'd update you!

JEDIpartner
06-19-2003, 02:19 PM
All in a row!

jedi master sal
06-19-2003, 04:49 PM
Don't m iss the picture from 16:58 (Jun 19). You'll see a Holiday edition R2!

EDIT: Oh Yeah and check out 17:04. That photo has R2-Q5 (the black R2 unit) in the picture along with a yellowish one.

OO OOH, 17:05 Has a RED R2! (Like in the queen's ship toy!)

DAAAHHHHHH 17:08 has...are you ready for this.......

R5-D4!!!!!!!!!

and 17:22 has R3-T7's head! Yes, the clear domed yellow PREVIEW FIGURE R3 unit! Finally some continuity exists!

End EDIT!

Pendo
06-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Don't m iss the picture from 16:58 (Jun 19). You'll see a Holiday edition R2!

EDIT: Oh Yeah and check out 17:04. That photo has R2-Q5 (the black R2 unit) in the picture along with a yellowish one.

OO OOH, 17:05 Has a RED R2! (Like in the queen's ship toy!)

DAAAHHHHHH 17:08 has...are you ready for this.......

R5-D4!!!!!!!!!

and 17:22 has R3-T7's head! Yes, the clear domed yellow PREVIEW FIGURE R3 unit! Finally some continuity exists!

End EDIT!

How will R5 fit into it? He was on Tatooine, how does he end up somewhere else, then back on Tatooine in Ep4??? Hmmm, will we visit Tatooine again in Episode III?

PENDO!

gibbyhayes
06-19-2003, 06:28 PM
"And all the R-units played....at the astromech picnic"

Who here wouldn't pay a $1000 to stand where this photographer did?

RooJay
06-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Whether the subscription is worth it or not - I feel especially bad for those fans who can't afford it (like me;) , although there are others much worse off who, through no fault of their own, do not have access to this content).
Do poor folk really need another reminder?:cry: Should they really be excluded from yet another party just because they ain't gots no money? I say shame on Lucasflm for not making this cool stuff available to all!:mad:

JEDIpartner
06-20-2003, 09:27 AM
They've got gold Threepio costume parts sitting on a table this morning!!! YES! He's back!

plo koon 200
06-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Now, that is good. He is gold in EIII. YES!!!

plo koon 200
06-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
Whether the subscription is worth it or not - I feel especially bad for those fans who can't afford it (like me;) , although there are others much worse off who, through no fault of their own, do not have access to this content).
Do poor folk really need another reminder?:cry: Should they really be excluded from yet another party just because they ain't gots no money? I say shame on Lucasflm for not making this cool stuff available to all!:mad:
Don't feel to left out. I'm paying for it and never get to the webcam when anything is happening. Not to mention most of the content is okay so far.

jedi master sal
06-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
Don't feel to left out. I'm paying for it and never get to the webcam when anything is happening. Not to mention most of the content is okay so far.

Hey, plo koon 200, you can always go back to the specific minute mentioned and see the screen shot from then. That's what I did when JEDIpartnr mentioned the first post about the R2's. Go back and see them for yourself! That's one of the coolest features with the webcam. I don't know how long they'll archive the shots so go back and see them when you can (and download them if you wish) before they get wiped from the system.

plo koon 200
06-22-2003, 12:49 AM
I know, but still, seeing them after everyone else has seen them isn't cool. Which, so far, has happened. I'm always the last person to know about anything on the webcam.

JEDIpartner
06-23-2003, 10:42 AM
I dunno... before... at the same time... after... what difference does it make? If you see it and are pleased... well? I missed the part with Ewan and I went back to see the replay of that and it was still pretty cool.

RooJay
06-23-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
Now, that is good. He is gold in EIII. YES!!!

A safe bet, yes, even more or less a forgone conclusion, but you do know that there are other golden protocol droids in the Star Wars universe besides C-3PO.;)

Battle Droid
06-23-2003, 04:49 PM
I just subscribed to Hyperspace!!! :D

It's looks pretty interesting so far!

JEDIpartner
06-26-2003, 11:07 AM
I think we got to witness the rehearsals for THE duel a couple days ago. That was pretty sweet.

plo koon 200
06-30-2003, 08:56 PM
The Anakin photo w/glove is the best thing so far. I can't wait to see more.

plo koon 200
06-30-2003, 09:53 PM
I think every Fan Club member should visit this link and then start complaining.
http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/faq.html

Beast
06-30-2003, 10:17 PM
I think every Fan Club member should visit this link and then start complaining.
http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/faq.html
Complaining about what?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
06-30-2003, 11:30 PM
Complain that they don't answer our most frequently asked questions in a more personal format, maybe?

plo koon 200
07-01-2003, 06:42 AM
Complaining about what?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Not getting an extra year of subscription to the Insider. See question 2.

Beast
07-01-2003, 07:03 AM
Not getting an extra year of subscription to the Insider. See question 2.
Yeah? So. I was given the option of taking the Hyperspace Subscription with the 8 extra issues of the Insider. They arn't free issues. It's 20.00 extra, that's why I didn't take it. Again, what's to complain about? :confused:

Also available to U.S. residents is a bundle package of a year of Hyperspace, plus eight issues (one year) of the Star Wars Insider magazine for just $39.95. (Current Insider subscribers will have their subscription extended by eight issues.)
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
08-02-2003, 09:35 AM
i've been following the leaks and photos those hyperspace subscribers have provided, and so far, i'm kinda disapointed with what has been revealed.

of course i didn't expect them to reveal any major spoilers, but correct me if i'm wrong, but so far the only photos of anakin were a fuzzy head and hand shot from a monitor? and the only known photo of obi wan was from some motorcycle magazine?.........and have there been any padme photos at all?

i've been kinda thinking of subscribing, and just wanted to get input from those who have. has it been worth it?:

Beast
08-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Well, we haven't been able to post everything. Pendo's posted the most, but there's still a lot that we won't/can't due to the agreement not to.. So far we're well over 40 Set Diaries of info, the raw footage from the cut AOTC's scene, rare photos, and the webcam. And I still feel the same way as I did when I signed up. It's well worth the $20.00 a year, if you compare it to a magazine subscription. We've seen the main cast on the web-cam, just that the pictures are from far away mostly. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Clint
08-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Derek,

I've spent more on services that were worth a whole lot less! I find the webcam addictive. The set diaries are actually my favorite part. I always pick through to see if there is anything juicy and then read back through the old ones in hopes of some spoilerific revelation. I'm betting that I will appreciate this service even more when the Clone Wars cartoons become available.