PDA

View Full Version : Live action Transformers movie.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

El Chuxter
10-09-2007, 12:37 PM
A bumbling kid who wants to save the universe and discovers that he has the power to defeat evil once and for all (or at least until Season 3 of the 'toon)?

I'd say he's Luke Skywalker.

Tycho
10-09-2007, 01:00 PM
A bumbling kid who wants to save the universe and discovers that he has the power to defeat evil once and for all (or at least until Season 3 of the 'toon)?

I'd say he's Luke Skywalker.

OK:

Did Luke get Obi-Wan killed? Hot Rod got Optimus Prime killed.

Obi-Wan might have gone alone on the mission that Leia requested of him, but I guess the Force interconnected Luke and him. But he might've known it would. If Prime knew the Matrix interconnected him and Hot Rod, why did he give it to Ultra Magnus? (Perhaps he knew but was waiting for Hot Rod to mature?)

Hot Rod and Luke do bungle things and haphazardly run into trouble. Like Luke winding up in the Ewok net and Hot Rod in a Sharkticon pit.

Luke seems to mature and grow into his role as a Jedi Knight. "Rodimus Prime" needs Optimus to come back and take his power and leadership role away from him before he spells ruin for all the Autobots even in what is supposed to be their new Golden Age.

Hot Rod might've started sharing some Luke Skywalker characteristics, but he was never allowed to develop them.

I love the YouTube video "The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime," when Optimus says, "Give me back that F-N thing [the Matrix]! You've run this organization into the ground, Hot Rod!"

El Chuxter
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Luke seems to mature and grow into his role as a Jedi Knight. "Rodimus Prime" needs Optimus to come back and take his power and leadership role away from him before he spells ruin for all the Autobots even in what is supposed to be their new Golden Age.

That's a later addition in the cartoon, mostly because it turned out kids were bitter that this "usurper" came in to steal Prime's place.

Looking solely at the movie, Rodimus is the one who defeats the Decepticons, destroys Unicron, and re-conquers Cybertron to usher in the new golden age.

"I knew you had it in you," says Kup. He realizes his potential, which he didn't even realize he had.

Throwing in the cartoon episodes where he returns the Matrix to an undead Prime is like saying, "Luke didn't live up to his potential because he went to the Dark Side in Dark Empire." Given the context of the films, it's totally irrelevant.

Tycho
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Well I'm so into this supposed leaked Transformers 2 plot! I so much want to see it happen!

The ideas in that spec story are excellent and it would be so awesome if Michael Bay brought this vision to the big screen!

That movie would be a major fan wank!

I even want to play with my toys and recreate that storyline now.

El Chuxter
10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
It sounds almost as good as Transformers 2: The Erotic Adventures of Wheelie, I'll give it that.

Almost.

General_Grievous
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Well I'm so into this supposed leaked Transformers 2 plot! I so much want to see it happen!

The ideas in that spec story are excellent and it would be so awesome if Michael Bay brought this vision to the big screen!

That movie would be a major fan wank!

I even want to play with my toys and recreate that storyline now.

Only problem is there's no Arcee. When will we see her sexy self?

Blue2th
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Finally saw "Transformers" for the first time today. I must say I was impressed.
I noticed alot of ties to my home state New Mexico.
The opening scenes were of two Osprey aircraft which are based at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque. Recently deployed in Iraq for the first time. Everyone is wishing success with this new type of aircraft. Can't wait till they put tilting jets on the ends of the wings, then it's pretty much an "Aliens" Dropship or "Roughnecks" troop carrier.
Some of the desert scenes were filmed at White Sands near Alamagordo I do believe though some maybe at Yuma Arizona.
I know that one scene of the survivors of the assault was filmed at very large umistakable rock formation called Shiprock.
There was a TV scene of a newsman at the Autobots meteor crash, a local reporter here called Jeremy Johola.
I wanted to see "Transformers" on a big screen before the DVD release.

Tycho
10-10-2007, 04:39 AM
I'm glad you like it. I share the sense of awe that is inspired by the vision of Michael Bay for the future of movies.

Blue2th
10-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Not only that but all the acting was great. Lots of funny dialog.
I must say that when that kid got his first car it brought back those old feelings I went through in High School. There's nothing like a muscle-car to get the blood pumping.
Funny, I liked the old 70's Bumblebee better than the concept Camaro. But that's just me and nostalgia.
I might have to spring for that Ultimate Bumblebee though.

Starscream got away.

Tycho
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
OK, well now the story from an insider who works with Michael Bay says the story treatment is real, "but we're not using it." What the heck does that mean?

First Don Murphy, while debunking it, said he liked it (the story is awesome!).

Then they say it IS real, but they're not using that - but might use elements of it? What does that mean?

Like Empire Strikes Back isn't what it was in story development because an Ugnaught song and dance routine was cut, but the rest is what they used? Well that'd make the story treatment 99% real.

And it's TOO AWESOME of story not to let it be real!

The Plot to Transformers 2 ? (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1646659&postcount=13)

Spoilers abound, so you've been again forewarned. You'll still have to highlight to read it on TFW2005 (where the link above leads).

But:

Ultra Magnus
Hot Rod
Devastator (yup - 6 Constructicons)*
Soundwave
Barricade - returns
Scorponok - returns
Megatron - resurrected

The Death of another main character (if someone starts addressing it in this thread, we'll discuss it. I'm fine with that. It's ::: Starscream ::: who dies this time.

The major battle ground is ::: Las Vegas! :::

Tycho
10-15-2007, 10:08 AM
It is now 17 hours and 5 minutes until I can purchase this movie!

In less than 18 hours I'll be watching it again before going out to buy my 2nd copy at Target in about 25 hours and 5 minutes (so I get the Optimus Prime transforming DVD case).

Like a Jehova's Witness, but for the AllSpark, I'm taking my DVD with me over to an older couple I am friends with from my days in politics and presenting them with their first viewing of the film. They liked me getting them into Star Wars, so I scheduled this for Transformers.

I can't tell you how many times I am going to watch this movie once I have it for personal home viewing. I think I'll copy it to my computer so I don't even have to leave my office to watch it in the living room.

Dude. This is going to be so cool! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2007, 10:46 AM
That "plot" to the sequel sounds fantastic, but let me see if i read this right: it ends with a battle not being fought between Prime and Megatron and ends without resolution?!? That sounds insane. And the possible death of Mikeala saddens me, A LOT.

And i'm not sure which version i'll pick up tomorrow. I nkow i'll get the 2 disc version, but i'm not sure about any of the exclusives. The BB has figures and target has that transforming case. I think it depends on price at this point. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
10-15-2007, 11:19 AM
And the possible death of Mikeala saddens me, A LOT.
Highlight:

She didn't die in the script treatment, it just seemed like Megatron killed her in the explosion.

End highlight.

So I've had the two disc DVD for a couple of days now. I've watched all the special features (except for the commentary, which I will probably never watch), and Michael Bay still can't pronounce Scorponok's name correctly. I've said it before, the success of this movie was all the work of Spielberg, the writers, ILM, Steve Jablonsky (who composed the amazing music), Peter Cullen and the cast. Bay comes last for me.

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 12:47 PM
It still chaps my hide that people see this crap and think "Transformers." I can't put it any other way. I love it when I'm walking through the toy aisle with my daughter, and people are looking at these toys, and I say, "Look, sweetie, it's that CRAP that everyone thinks are Transformers. But we know they're not Transformers. They're just CRAP. Look at that thing. Bumblebee's a cute sidekick. He's not a giant PIECE OF CRAP. When you're old enough, you'll get to see the movie. But the real movie from when I was a kid, not the CRAP they put out this year." I normally don't do stuff like that, but the resulting strange looks are priceless.

General_Grievous
10-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I liked the new movie better than the 1986 animated movie. There, I said it. Seriously, that movie has always made me angry. They kill off the best Transformers in the first half hour (Ironhide, Ratchet, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream). Don't get me wrong. The movie's good...up until Prime dies.

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll watch the new movie on HBO. Not before. Why? It's not a case of fanboy ranting. I couldn't care less if they re-designed the Transformers, changed them, whatever. That's expected from Hollywood. The designs are pretty corny, they all look the same, the CG in the battle scenes is iffy at best, the battle scenes are (according to everyone who's seen the film) the best part of the movie and too few and far between, I hate Bernie Mac, the story I've read is mediocre at best, even people who liked it seem to think the story and human characters were weak, and the sequences I've seen pirated (including the finale) are horrific. I don't want to spend $16+ on tickets, plus $20+ for a babysitter, to see a movie that, simply put, looks bad, regardless of what it is. And I don't want to buy a DVD of a movie that looks bad, either. If I see it on HBO and it doesn't suck all sorts of butt, I'll watch the sequel in the theater. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it will all look like what I've seen, a bunch of weird robot primates engaging in crazy sex acts, and I already have Animal Planet.

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm buying the good version tomorrow..thats right, I am not buying it at all

I am buying Planet Terror instead

JediTricks
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
I liked the new movie better than the 1986 animated movie. There, I said it. Seriously, that movie has always made me angry. They kill off the best Transformers in the first half hour (Ironhide, Ratchet, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream). Don't get me wrong. The movie's good...up until Prime dies.
That's a bold statement considering nearly every transformers fan I know thinks the '86 movie is terrible. :p

Qui-Long Gone
10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
That's a bold statement considering nearly every transformers fan I know thinks the '86 movie is terrible. :p

You're not serious are you? :tired:

Are you thinking of the GI Joe movie?

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I think the ":p" is to denote sarcasm. Everyone I knew hated it as a kid, since practically the entire first generation of characters is killed off. But as adults, we love it. It stands up amazingly well for a 90-minute ad for toys.

Droid
10-15-2007, 07:36 PM
But as adults, we love it. It stands up amazingly well for a 90-minute ad for toys.

No we don't and no it doesn't.

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
You weren't one of the people I was including in the "we." Nothing personal, but I only counted people whose opinions of the film I knew previously. :)

2-1B
10-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it will all look like what I've seen, a bunch of weird robot primates engaging in crazy sex acts, and I already have Animal Planet.

I didn't realize the Beast Wars movie was out already ? :confused:

Tycho
10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I would have re-written the 1986 movie slightly: when Hot Rod opens the Matrix, the light shoots out of it and re-animates the dead body of Optimus Prime where he's layed in state or something back on earth.

Absorbing as much power as he can from it, Optimus rises and reflects that power to resurrect Ironhide, Ratchet, and Wheeljack. They board a hidden ship that had been previously disguised with transforming technology.

Then OPTIMUS Prime flies HIS Autobot posse in and kicks Galvatron's butt and then proceeds to dismantle Unicron, reclaiming the Matrix from Hot Rod in the process.

Then it would have been a much better movie.

Now I will have Michael Bay's film for my own in 6 hours and 40 minutes.

There is a possibility that I'm heading out with a friend to see the IMAX version while we wait for our chance to purchase a home-copy of this film.

2-1B
10-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Guys, they are ROBOTS. They don't f***ing DIE. lol

Blue2th
10-15-2007, 09:12 PM
"No dissassemble Stephanie"

I though Jazz died in the movie? Or was he re-assembled?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm buying the good version tomorrow..thats right, I am not buying it at all

I am buying Planet Terror instead

I'm again gonna wait on that. I don't think it's the one in theaters and plus, THERE IS ONLY ONE FAKE TRAILER. I still need a good cam bootleg of the film to hold me over until RR and QT get their heads out of their a**es and realize the ENTIRE THEATRICAL film(s). There, I said it. :)

It still chaps my hide that people see this crap and think "Transformers." I can't put it any other way. I love it when I'm walking through the toy aisle with my daughter, and people are looking at these toys, and I say, "Look, sweetie, it's that CRAP that everyone thinks are Transformers. But we know they're not Transformers. They're just CRAP. Look at that thing. Bumblebee's a cute sidekick. He's not a giant PIECE OF CRAP. When you're old enough, you'll get to see the movie. But the real movie from when I was a kid, not the CRAP they put out this year." I normally don't do stuff like that, but the resulting strange looks are priceless.

and seriously Chux, using that language in front of your daughter? I mean, crap isn't that bad of a word, but it's a gateway to other things. Somebody should wash your mouth out with soap, young man. :crazed: hehehehe

General_Grievous
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I think the ":p" is to denote sarcasm. Everyone I knew hated it as a kid, since practically the entire first generation of characters is killed off. But as adults, we love it. It stands up amazingly well for a 90-minute ad for toys.

I first saw it when I was 13. I hated it then, I hate it now. Just because of the fact that they kill off the best characters (but at least Grimlock is spared).

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm again gonna wait on that. I don't think it's the one in theaters and plus, THERE IS ONLY ONE FAKE TRAILER. I still need a good cam bootleg of the film to hold me over until RR and QT get their heads out of their a**es and realize the ENTIRE THEATRICAL film(s). There, I said it. :)

I'm not worried with the fake trailers...I just like the Planet Terror portion of the project. I did not like Death Proof at all though...Quentin let me down on that one.

Droid
10-15-2007, 11:13 PM
You weren't one of the people I was including in the "we." Nothing personal, but I only counted people whose opinions of the film I knew previously. :)

I was just messing with you, trying to kick up some dust. Seriously, that movie was so bad it made me realize as a child that I could have a bad experience at the movies. And all these years later, I still hate it.

BountyHunterScum
10-15-2007, 11:29 PM
"No dissassemble Stephanie"

I though Jazz died in the movie? Or was he re-assembled?

Neeeeeed input!

Tycho
10-16-2007, 01:55 AM
I just saw the IMAX Transformers movie tonight, less than an hour ago!

I still love this movie. I bet I can watch it again when I buy my first copy of the DVD in 1 more hour and 20 minutes.

The extra footage was pretty much all stuff with the human cast that I could tell. One of the best scenes was when Capt. Lennox went into the pawn shop to get the walkie-talkies and the woman working there pulled a larger gun on him than what he carried himself as a soldier. He quickly reverses tactics and suggests to her that she's attractive, and a smile accomplishes what the gun could not. Funny.

In the Sector-7 van while Sam and Mikaela are prisoners, Simmons hooks up a retina scanner to Sam's eye to administer a lie detection test.

Meanwhile, on the even-larger screen, the film was even more clear. I guess IMAX isn't digital, but the copy was so darn crystal clear!

I saw Jazz get some more shots in on Megatron and it seemed like he went out more heroically. BTW - Jazz is dead. Ironhide said "We couldn't save him."

Oh, Starscream repeatedly machine gunned Ratchet, but I guess they've built up a tolerance to their own weapons because Ratchet didn't seem too damaged.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. It's probably been at least 1-2 weeks since I've seen it. And I'm ready to watch it again in 1 hr and 15 minutes (thereabouts, not counting driving time).

Tycho
10-16-2007, 06:00 AM
UPDATE: Wal-Mart 2-disc prequel-included box set best offer!

I just got done watching Wal-Mart's exclusive 2nd disc with the prequel featuring Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime.

It is a cartoon that shows the war on Cybertron. Megatron (portrayed by FRANK WELKER!) ripping apart BumbleBee who just barely manages to get the AllSpark out of his grasp.

Megatron follows it to earth. Archibald Witwicky finds him in the ice and is later committed to an insane asylum. Sector-7 is formed and they move Megatron to Hoover Dam, along with locating the AllSpark in Colorado.

BumbleBee arrives with the Decepticons tailing him. Sector-7 sets a trap for BumbleBee, but the Decepticons fall for it. There is an attack!

Blackout learns the US Government has the AllSpark and Megatron and this leads up to his attack on the air base at the beginning of the live-action movie.

The cartoon is not motion-picture, but comic frames, voiced-over by the real Transformers cast. The humans are featured but played by different actors.

Mark Ryan is BumbleBee. He actually narrates the feature, though the box says Peter Cullen does. In actuality, Cullen just plays Prime - but as only he can! And it is great hearing Frank Welker as Megatron.

Someone doing Starscream is very good and approaches Chris Latta's voice. I don't know if he did Starscream for the live-action movie, but he's good and has more dialogue here.

Transformers is so cool! I'm going to go watch it again. I haven't seen the actual movie in like 5 hours now. I plan to watch it at least 2 more times today!

Roll out!

ANOTHER UPDATE: Michael Bay did not get "Devastator" changed to "Brawl" on the DVD release when Starscream orders all the Decepticons to mobilize. This does not heed well for any future appearance of the combined Constructicons in a sequel (if they go that route). Will they rename the combined juggernaut? Bonecrusher's name usage is also an issue for the same reason.

El Chuxter
10-16-2007, 10:51 AM
If it holds true to the form of the first movie, Devastator will be named Rumble; will look just like a green Optimus Prime with an extra arm coming out of his belly; and will be made up of Wheelie (a tank), Bruticus (an MP3 player), Jetfire (a Firebird), Skywarp (a motorcycle), and Blackarachnia (a washing machine).

BountyHunterScum
10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
No we don't and no it doesn't.

Very much agreed, it was a gigantic GM ad. I only saw it because of the Camaro Concept.

orionlukteel
10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Someone doing Starscream is very good and approaches Chris Latta's voice. I don't know if he did Starscream for the live-action movie, but he's good and has more dialogue here.

Wait a tick - Starscream had dialogue in the movie????

JediTricks
10-16-2007, 10:52 PM
You're not serious are you? :tired:

Are you thinking of the GI Joe movie?Nope, I'm sure. TF:TM sucked hard.

In front of the West Hollywood Best Buy there's the Bumblebee robot full size replica, lots of folks taking pics. We drove by and got a good look, it may be the one used in the film (which wasn't that accurate to the CGI).

El Chuxter
10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Okay, if you think it sucked hard, did it sucker harder or not as hard as the movie from this year that shares its name?

JediTricks
10-17-2007, 04:13 AM
That's tough, this live action movie is really truly horrible, but the original is abysmal. The cartoon is tougher to bear, it's sloppy and bad storytelling and a jumbled mess, especially taken out of context. But it tells a much broader story and is more respectful of its namesake characters, so I'm going to give it to the live action movie.

Tycho
10-17-2007, 09:08 AM
JT, I got dizzy trying to understand you (above).

The LIVE ACTION movie (Michael Bay's) is better than the 1986 cartoon movie? (that is your opinion?)

The 1984-87 G1 Animated Cartoon Series is better than the 1986 cartoon movie? (that is your opinion)

The 1986 cartoon movie sucked the most?

Michael Bay's movie is the best that's been done?

What would you do differently? (for each?)**

** I would not have killed Optimus Prime or most of my principle Autobots in the 1986 movie. It's fine to introduce new characters - the films should - but not as replacements for your whole cast.

As you might be aware, I think Michael Bay's film is pure genius! :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Careful Chux, as JMG pointed out, crap is the gateway to doon
:beard: Iso & Baws

I still think this film was a doon buffet, and am surprised that it has any boosters- not like I don't like my own brand of idiotic crap, but tthis was something else

JediTricks
10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
JT, I got dizzy trying to understand you (above).

The LIVE ACTION movie (Michael Bay's) is better than the 1986 cartoon movie? (that is your opinion?)

The 1984-87 G1 Animated Cartoon Series is better than the 1986 cartoon movie? (that is your opinion)

The 1986 cartoon movie sucked the most?

Michael Bay's movie is the best that's been done?

What would you do differently? (for each?)**

** I would not have killed Optimus Prime or most of my principle Autobots in the 1986 movie. It's fine to introduce new characters - the films should - but not as replacements for your whole cast.

As you might be aware, I think Michael Bay's film is pure genius! :thumbsup:
Chux asked which was worse, TF:TM or the live-action film, I said they're both bad but the live-action film took that honor.

plasticfetish
10-18-2007, 04:40 AM
I said they're both bad but the live-action film took that honor.Your criticism of the old (lame) film is what wins me over to your opinion of the new one.

I'm willing to give Bay's "epic" a passing grade because I didn't nod off in the theater. I can't say the same for the cartoon movie... but in all fairness, last time I saw it on the big screen (a few months ago actually), I'd just had a long day at work, and was having a pint while watching it. (Nice to have small theaters that serve beer here. ;))

We've owned the new General Motors commercial... errr... I mean TF DVD for a day or two now. Haven't taken the plastic wrapper off yet. Kind of a bad sign I suppose. The look on Optimus' face says it all...

El Chuxter
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Will you guys at least concur that there are three truly great moments in the film?

1) From the line "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost" to Astrotrain taking off.

2) "Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy."

3) "Me Grimlock kick butt!" [Followed closely by "Me Grimlock need new strategy."]

Droid
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Will you guys at least concur that there are three truly great moments in the film?

1) From the line "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost" to Astrotrain taking off.

3) "Me Grimlock kick butt!" [Followed closely by "Me Grimlock need new strategy."]

1. I thought Optimus' heading into the City until Hot Rod got in between he and Megatron was the best thing Transformers ever did.

2. It is a great line and that would have been a great moment had it been Megatron and not Galvatron. They could have had the exact same storyline, with Megatron being repaired by Unicron, not remade into Galvatron.

3. It was funny.

4. Unicron was a really great idea.

5. If they had made the exact same movie with the original characters doing what the new characters did it would have been a decent film. The Matrix was a dumb idea (as is the All Spark).

And I strongly objected to Hot Rod getting in between Prime and Megatron. I would have rather one just defeated the other without interference. The audience deserved to see that fight one-on-one without distractions.

plasticfetish
10-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Will you guys at least concur that there are three truly great moments in the film?It's fun enough to watch just because it's Transformers, and because it's always amusing to sit and try to figure out who the different voices are. The story itself isn't bad, it's simply the fact that it's one big salad shooter of characters coming at you... bang, bang, bang... one after another.

I don't mind that the TV show is (was) one big toy commercial. Infact I think the TV show is pretty entertaining. Silly and fun. The film's missing a lot of that fun... and I hate the soundtrack.

General_Grievous
10-18-2007, 06:41 PM
and I hate the soundtrack.

Dare! Dare to belieeeve yooouuu can surviiiive!

JediTricks
10-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Your criticism of the old (lame) film is what wins me over to your opinion of the new one.

I'm willing to give Bay's "epic" a passing grade because I didn't nod off in the theater. I can't say the same for the cartoon movie... but in all fairness, last time I saw it on the big screen (a few months ago actually), I'd just had a long day at work, and was having a pint while watching it. (Nice to have small theaters that serve beer here. ;))Funny you should mention that, back at SDCC, Tycho dragged me and his other houseguest, Halley, to see the new movie - she had no knowledge whatsoever about TF, but likes disaster films, and loved the live-action film. However, afterwards at Tycho's house, he put on TF:TM and she fell asleep in about half an hour. :p

What is that, a scan from a TF comic? Pretty funny! Maybe Prime has an ice-cream headache. :D

3) "Me Grimlock kick butt!" [Followed closely by "Me Grimlock need new strategy."]Define "truly great moments" - if you mean great TF cartoon moments, yeah, but cinematically I am not sure I can say that. I'll give you that the art looked really good compared to the cartoon and not shabby in general though without hesitation.

1. I thought Optimus' heading into the City until Hot Rod got in between he and Megatron was the best thing Transformers ever did.

2. It is a great line and that would have been a great moment had it been Megatron and not Galvatron. They could have had the exact same storyline, with Megatron being repaired by Unicron, not remade into Galvatron.

3. It was funny.

4. Unicron was a really great idea.

5. If they had made the exact same movie with the original characters doing what the new characters did it would have been a decent film. The Matrix was a dumb idea (as is the All Spark).

And I strongly objected to Hot Rod getting in between Prime and Megatron. I would have rather one just defeated the other without interference. The audience deserved to see that fight one-on-one without distractions.Totally agree with 1, 3, and half of 5. 2 wouldn't work because then how could they sell new toys? :p 4 I am not sold on, Unicron is an interesting idea but a bit too over the top, too big and too much of an evil deus ex machina.

I think everybody objects to Hot Rod's behavior there, especially what it cost the Autobots. Tycho is nearly rabid about it.

2-1B
10-18-2007, 10:28 PM
However, afterwards at Tycho's house, he put on TF:TM and she fell asleep in about half an hour. :p

I give the girl credit for lasting as long as she did. lol

plasticfetish
10-19-2007, 01:54 AM
What is that, a scan from a TF comic? Pretty funny! Maybe Prime has an ice-cream headache. :DIt's from one of those Marvel TF kids books... "Battle for Earth." You'll probably see more of it in time. ;)

Jayspawn
10-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I picked up the Special Edition DVD. Good extras but dissapointed that there were not any docs on the actual vehicles themselves or any interview wth Peter Cullen who IS Optimus Prime.

Damn, Megan Fox is hot!

El Chuxter
10-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Josie Beller is hotter.

All Trans-fans should get that one.

orionlukteel
10-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Josie Beller is hotter.

She WAS hotter until she put that stupid suit on.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah, but she can't move without the suit, so it'd be kinda sick. Besides, the suit is more revealing than her work clothes. :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
10-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Live-sized Bumblebee at my local Target. I didn't expect to be there so I only had my cell to take these shots:
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0423iu8.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0424vq6.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0425sk0.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0426bi5.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0427wr1.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0428uh3.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0429gi7.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0430ul4.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0431jj9.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0432qq4.jpg

Funny how they have 2 security guards for this thing, and they're both giving me the stink eye for taking a picture of an 18-foot-tall robot. :p

El Chuxter
10-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Hey! There's a Daphne's there! You stopped in for some gyros, right?

BTW, did you go up and smell the guards' eyes? If not, isn't it unfair to say they stink?

figrin bran
10-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Daphnes' gyros are sooooooo good!!! :thumbsup:

Chux, I go to that Target regularly as well but usually in the mornings and so I don't frequent that Daphne's location as much as I'd like to.

Tycho, I took a pic for you as well!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/brnder/DSCI0208.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/brnder/DSCI0206.jpg

even at 8 in the morning, there were quite a few people taking photos.

JT, you should've gone by at nighttime so everyone can see what West Holly nightlife is like!

Tycho
10-21-2007, 04:30 AM
Thanks Figrin and thanks JT!

I love BumbleBee! He was such a nice robot to stand there and let everyone take his picture, too.

Ji'dai
10-21-2007, 11:24 AM
That giant Bumblebee is awesome. One of the disadvantages of living in the sticks is we don't see any of these great promos here. I'd liked to have went into a 7-11 redone as the Kwik-E-Mart too.

On another note, I was wondering if the motorcycle Arcee appears in the film. I've seen the toy on the pegs a few times but don't recall seeing it in the movie.

Blue2th
10-21-2007, 11:46 AM
That giant Bumblebee is awesome. One of the disadvantages of living in the sticks is we don't see any of these great promos here. I'd liked to have went into a 7-11 redone as the Kwik-E-Mart too.

Agreed. That is Awesome!
At least we have some LA guys to take pics for us.:thumbsup:

Tycho
10-21-2007, 12:56 PM
On another note, I was wondering if the motorcycle Arcee appears in the film. I've seen the toy on the pegs a few times but don't recall seeing it in the movie.

No, she wasn't in the movie. There's nothing one way or the other to say that lady 'bots exist in the movie continuity. I myself would wonder for what purpose they'd serve. Cybertronians don't reproduce that way. It seems the AllSpark gave them life in the movie continuity.

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 05:27 PM
On another note, I was wondering if the motorcycle Arcee appears in the film. I've seen the toy on the pegs a few times but don't recall seeing it in the movie.She didn't appear in the film, but that character WAS designed for the film, they simply decided late in the game not to use her. They actually designed 2 different heads for her movie character, and unfortunately the Hasbro figure uses the uglier of the 2.

Exhaust Port
10-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Was she slated to be a motorcycle for the movie or some sort of car?

I'm coming back into this thread late so pardon if I'm treading over old ground.

I saw that M. Bay's name popped up to film the next movie. Is that confirmed? Are there any rumors as to the direction they'll go in the next movie(s)?

To add my .02, I was really excited about this movie and even gave Micheal Bay the benefit of my doubt going in. I was awestruck by the opening few minutes with the attack on the military installation but I quickly lost interest after that. I won't go over all the "errors" in the movie as I'm sure others have done that plenty. I will say that one big disappointment that was present (and not just in this movie) is this new style of extreme closeups during action sequences where the viewer is left with a screen of blurry metal, clothes, sky, ground, dust, fists, missiles, etc. to look at. The final few battles were such a jumbles mess of stuff flying past the screen. Hopefully this is only a phase in cinematography.

2-1B
10-23-2007, 11:20 PM
I was in Best Buy today and Donald Driver from the Green Bay Packers was buying this POS movie on DVD...so that's another fan, Tycho. lol

figrin bran
10-24-2007, 12:03 AM
I was in Best Buy today and Donald Driver from the Green Bay Packers was buying this POS movie on DVD...so that's another fan, Tycho. lol

lol! Shouldn't Driver be watching game film instead?

Tycho is a Chargers fan so he won't be impressed unless it were Antonio Gates that were buying this movie :p

Tycho
10-24-2007, 12:40 AM
A lot of the Chargers hang out in my immediate area - they all vallet-park their sports cars over at our local watering hole (Gordon Biersch - a micro-brewery here). But many of them are losing their homes to the fire now and being forced to evacuate. Watching the Transformers is a great way to escape from the local reality.

Meanwhile, if you inhale a lot of smoke, or put on a football helmet and have a 300 lb guy slam you into the ground, either option will help you appreciate Michael Bay's ingenius movie even more!

I think I've watched this movie almost once a day (at least) since I bought it a week ago:

1 x in IMAX on Monday
2 x on DVD on Tuesday
1 x on DVD on Wednesday
1 x on DVD on Saturday
1 x on DVD on Sunday
1 x on DVD yesterday

Yup: 7 times in 7 days. I'd say I feel the AllSpark!

Come to think of it, I feel like watching it tonight.

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Jeez, Tycho, maybe you should change your username to "Prowl."

figrin bran
10-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Somehow, I doubt Peyton Manning or Tom Brady is watching Transformers.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Was she slated to be a motorcycle for the movie or some sort of car?The toy is nearly identical to the movie character's design.

I saw that M. Bay's name popped up to film the next movie. Is that confirmed? Are there any rumors as to the direction they'll go in the next movie(s)?I don't believe he's confirmed to direct, but it's probable. As a producer, he'll likely be attached even if he doesn't direct it.

Tycho should change his username to Wheelie. ;)

Exhaust Port
10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't believe he's confirmed to direct, but it's probable. As a producer, he'll likely be attached even if he doesn't direct it.

Well that's good to hear. Hopefully his impact will be less felt if he's only a producer. Kind of how Spielberg's impact was barely felt in the first one.

General_Grievous
10-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Somehow, I doubt Peyton Manning or Tom Brady is watching Transformers.

I'm sure they watched it multiple times in theaters during the offseason. :p

BountyHunterScum
10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
JT has an interesting target store.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Well that's good to hear. Hopefully his impact will be less felt if he's only a producer. Kind of how Spielberg's impact was barely felt in the first one.
Spielberg was an executive producer, which is a fancy title for "doing nothing". :p The guy has a horrible track record as an exec producer. Of course, Bay's producer-only credits are scarcely better, just smaller.

JetsAndHeels
10-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I think the entire Jets team has been watching Transformers....from last year's playoff appearance they sure have transformed into total *hit this year.

figrin bran
10-24-2007, 10:55 PM
JT has an interesting target store.

It's not that interesting. Then again I go to that store at least once if not multiple times per week. ;)

BountyHunterScum
10-24-2007, 11:20 PM
It's not that interesting. Then again I go to that store at least once if not multiple times per week. ;)

The place its located is interesting we don't have posh looking marketplace style target stores here.

JediTricks
10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Everything in West Hollywood is fabulous. ;)

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
So, I've finally put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. I borrowed a copy of this yesterday and was able to watch it today.

Wow!

I am thoroughly amazed!

I was totally wrong about this movie!!

I agree with one thing every fan has said: When I first saw Prime transform, I felt like I was ten years old again....

...ten years old and grounded, forced to sit quietly in a room while someone else watched Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

See, I thought it looked unimpressive from what I'd seen. I was expecting something that would be okay, but not spectacular. Possibly even mediocre, or a slight chance it might even be bad.

I was not expecting an embarassment to the human race. I feel that I have to personally track down Michael Bay, kick him in the nads, and demand back the fifty IQ points I lost while watching this turd.

It was as embarassing to its namesake as Batman and Robin. It was as full of heavy-handed, pointless product placements as Mac & Me. There was as little characterization as there was in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. The action was as tough to follow as Highlander 2. The story made as little sense as Superman IV.

Anyone who knows me will recognize those as the movies that, until earlier today, I thought to be the five worst movies ever made. Transformers fits somewhere in there. I can't definitively say it is the worst, as I've seen it only once, and would rather spend the rest of my life in prison (with an enormous guy named Tiny Bubbles as my bunkmate) than considering watchinig it again. But it's definitely down there. As loathe as I am to say it, I think Batman & Robin and Mac & Me are both better than this steaming piece of crap.

Michael Bay has successfully made his Pearl Harbor look like Citizen Kane in comparison.

Before you jump to what seems to be the normal course of action for defenders, I do not care that the characters look different. I do not care that the backstory isn't the same as the 80s cartoon.

But I do care that, aside from usually imperceptible size differences and color schemes on a few characters, they are all totally indistinguishable from one another, both in terms of visuals and characterization. And I certainly care that a 22-minute cartoon from twenty years ago, aimed at 8-year olds and with the sole purpose of selling toys, had a stronger storyline than a movie that was almost 2&1/2 hours long.

At every point in the movie, something had me groaning, rolling my eyes, or commenting on the stupidity of it all. We have an organization that's so secret that the Secretary of Defense has never heard of it, yet they can tell the guys at NASA to keep something under wraps, and apparently NASA didn't say, "Who the hell are you?"

We have "robots in disguise" running around in circles for no reason.

We have Optimus Prime warning one of his Genericbots (Ironhide?) not to harm humans, then two minutes later nearly killing a carful of people by causing a high-speed crash.

We have the US military acting like idiots at every juncture, culminating in their decision to take an intergalactic battle into a major population center rather than at the relatively isolated Hoover Dam. (And what the hell city is that? They leave Hoover Dam a few minutes before the Decepticons, then are seen battling them in what's clearly Vegas, and suddenly are fighting them again in what looks like LA or San Francisco. Huh?) And a Secretary of Defense who's so incompetent that, when the Decepticons (I'm guessing, since this was never addressed) planted info that Iran, China, and North Korea were all moving against us, he didn't just pick up the phone and contact someone in any of those countries to verify jacksquat.

We have Megatron chastizing Starscream, although it's only the second time we've seen him in the movie, and in the entire four seconds we've seen him, there's no indication he failed at anything--unlike Megatron, who got his a** frozen, but was somehow able to randomly burn a map into some dude's glasses.

We have Hugo Weaving voicing Megatron because Frank Welker sounded "too old." This despite Optimus Prime sounding like he's on his last legs in a nursing home throughout the entire movie.

We have Autobots acting every bit as stupid as the military, peeing on people and saying inane comments like, "My bad."

We have Frenzy, who is apparently the love child of a Gremlin and Salacious Crumb, who was subsequently raised by the Jackalope from America's Funniest People. No one ever thinks it odd that a frigging boombox keeps showing up at random places in the frigging Pentagon of all places? Christ, that was stupid when Soundwave did it in '84.

And you know what we don't have? A single minority character who wasn't a blatantly racist stereotype. I'm usually the last person to complain about this, but it was outright offensive. Is Bay secretly a Grand Wizard in the Klan?

Every character was merely a name. None of the Genericbots and Forgettablecons were fleshed out at all, aside from Optimus Prime, who was so incompetent that he bore no resemblance to any previous version of the character. Even Megatron was nothing more than this weird Sauron lookalike bouncing around.

When an action scene as big as the finale had me bored to tears because I couldn't follow what the hell was going on, there's a problem. I'm sorry. You can't use the "awesome special effects" defense here. This is 2007. We've all seen movies like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Matrix, even this obscure little gem called Star Wars. Special effects alone cannot save a movie. This is all stuff we've seen before, and handled better.

Hell, they killed Jazz, and I didn't care, because he wasn't a character! Put a few frigging dollars into making a decent g**d*** script, make us give a s*** about any of what we're seeing! Simply hoping we'll identify with them because we remember far better characters from two decades ago that shared their names does not characterization make.

Even the score was bad. Sometimes it was knockoff Jurassic Park, sometimes knockoff LOTR. And once or twice it sounded like an asinine ripoff of some 4th-rate animated POS.

You want to make a Transformers movie that's from the human perspective, Mr Bay? Fine. Then here's a tip: at least make the storylines about the humans better than the stories from Folgers Coffee commercials!

Yeah, this wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. It was worse. Yeah, that's a cliche. But I feel comfortable saying it, since everything about this movie was a cliche, from the 1980s high school melodrama to the predictable story arc about the soldier (who I don't recall even being named!) and his daughter.

This movie pretty much failed on all levels, for the reasons I sorta expected. I just didn't expect it to fail so miserably. Maybe Bay does deserve an award for making something so incredibly craptacular.

I'm glad Grimlock wasn't in this. I hope and pray that, to preserve the dignity of a character who speaks like a half-witted caveman and shouts about kicking butt, he doesn't appear in any sequels to this.

2-1B
11-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Chux, how could you not like the Mountain Dew Sodapopicon ? :confused:

Tycho
11-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Tycho to the defense of Transformers here!

And Caesar: that was the Dewbot! I so want an action figure. He shoots soda cans, kind of like Maximum Overdrive on steroids!

Unfortunately, I have dinner plans I must get ready for, so this may have to wait. But my Michael Bay Defense System has been activated. My return-volley is coming!

I'm going to listen to Stan Bush's "The Touch" while I get ready to go out.

Blue2th
11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Special effects by Industrial Light and Magic, Lucasfilm made a ton of money.

Transformers actor Shia Labouf will be starring opposite Harrison Ford in the next Indiana Jones.

Hasbro makes or will make all of the action figures for Indy 4, Transformers 2, including Star Wars and transforming Star Wars.

Lucas, Bay etc...everybody's happy and makin' money.
Us, we spend our money the action figures. :laugh:

Can't wait to spend my cash on more Hasbro GI Joes.
Is Bay gonna direct that movie too? Special effects by ILM I'm sure (that is a good thing)

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Shia LeBouf will be the next Keanu Reaves, meaning he's going to star in tons of big movies and be a media darling, despite having less acting talent than anyone who's attended two sessions of a middle school drama class, until he is suddenly forgotten two or three years down the road.

Us, we spend our money the action figures. :laugh:

Less and less every month, in my case. And not due to a lack of interest overall. I'm sick of garbage. Even if it's mostly a symbolic gesture, I'd rather not put my money into the pockets of these mega-corporations who keep sacrificing quality in the interest of making a few more dollars. That goes for crap like this movie and for crap like most of the TAC line.

plasticfetish
11-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Us, we spend our money the action figures.I dunno man. I've got a 10 year old who still hasn't bothered to take the wrapper off the Transformers DVD that his grandparents bought him... and who isn't even slightly interested in toys from the movie. I'm not getting a "long term interest" vibe from this film. Not from the kids I know anyway.

I'm kind of curious about what it is that's got adult collectors interested in this one exactly.

Tycho
11-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm kind of curious about what it is that's got adult collectors interested in this one exactly.

Tradition to a degree. Optimus Prime was such a hero character for me in 1984 as Star Wars faded away.

Han Solo wasn't the ultimate warrior - Luke was trying to be (and no one knew exactly what Jedi should be like, back then).

Luke nearly turned to the Dark Side and his leadership and experience were questionable, as Han was given command (Endor, etc.) and Palpatine had a tremendous advantage in experience over Luke when he arrives at the Death Star.

Contrast that with Optimus Prime - he has no hesitations over being in love with a sister, his own lonliness, aching for connections to parents he never knew. He was the unquestioned leader and confident decision maker who always knew what to do with very fluid yet robot-intelligence efficiency. He was red and blue (with some white) thus pandering to every school child's indoctrination to the American hero's colors, nevermind you that he was from Cybertron - and all that gives a kid an emotional connection to a hero character - let alone his leading a team of heroes with all kinds of special powers that can turn into other things with their own special powers (Do I need to provide examples?)

So I have this attachment to the character. Meanwhile, the movie did a great job of making BumbleBee a very cute and loveable character without having him talk. There was a ton of personality in there with his change to the 2008 Camaro, his song choices and sound bytes, and his determination to never give up and always roll on. Kind of like how he was in the G1 show, too.

I bought into all that with the help of my nostalgia. I can actually agree with much of El Chuxter's points he made above, and still love that movie. I am really wisening up to the idea that I should not evaluate everyone else's emotional state around here, but I'm pretty open about mine. Sure I have all kinds of moments you could prescribe Ritalin, Prozac, Zoloft, etc. for, but some of those moments include the times when I can "sacrafice 50 IQ points" and go back to being a 4 year old and just loving this stuff as a 4 year old would. If there are plot or logic gaps, I can use my ability to think more sophistocatedly to fill in those gaps with some pretty mature reasoning even if the film offers nothing to indicate that's the case. Stillakid notes I do this for the SW prequels. Maybe. But if that helps me enjoy them more, I'm very glad that I am enjoying something!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-05-2007, 01:23 AM
If there are plot or logic gaps, I can use my ability to think more sophistocatedly to fill in those gaps with some pretty mature reasoning even if the film offers nothing to indicate that's the case. Stillakid notes I do this for the SW prequels. Maybe. But if that helps me enjoy them more, I'm very glad that I am enjoying something!I guess I sort of think that way as well. I had no attachment to Transformers, but the trailers had me a bit interested to see them as a live action movie. All of those logic gaps or plot holes that Chux brought up were things that didn't really occur to me when watching the movie. There were some things that didn't seem right, but overall I was enjoying it. I don't necessarily want to see it again, but there a lot of good movies I don't really care if I see again either. I watched it, I enjoyed it, I went home.

I don't see a lot of movies in the theater. I go if something interests me. If it is something that interests me, then I will probably like it. I can't really think of a movie that I've chosen to see in the theater that I've not liked. I may have been a bit disappointed in a few cases, but not to the degree that some people get with certain movies. Maybe if I was into Transformers, I would hate this movie more. Tycho seems to like it though. A couple of guys that were next to me in the theater seemed to like it, and I got the impression they must have had some past experience with Transformers.

I can recall being a bit disappointed with the first Tomb Raider movie. They had changed Lara's backstory a bit, and there were a few things I would like to have seen. However, I still enjoyed the movie and it was one of the first things I ever bought on DVD. The second movie didn't interest me as much. I didn't hate it. I think I was just kind of bored with it. I haven't seen it since then.

So, I guess I am usually happier with my moviegoing experiences. I don't bother going to see something that doesn't interest me. The movies I do see usually keep me interested. For the price they charge even for the matinees, I'd better enjoy myself, or that would just be a waste of time and money.

El Chuxter
11-05-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm not getting a "long term interest" vibe from this film. Not from the kids I know anyway.

I kinda have a bit of a problem with the amount of marketing to kids done on a movie that has pointless, heavy-handed masturbation jokes that stick out like a sore thumb. I'm no prude, but I do think that such things have no business in a movie like this. Aunt May didn't say anything like that to Peter, but could you imagine how much one such line would've hurt Spider-Man?

All of those logic gaps or plot holes that Chux brought up were things that didn't really occur to me when watching the movie.

I don't mind minor plot holes. I actually enjoy brainless movies, if they're done well. Bay's own Armageddon, for instance, is one hell of a fine popcorn movie. It doesn't make sense, it follows no logic, but it's fun.

I didn't mention earlier, but Bay specifically shot down the idea of mass-shifting Transformers, saying it was unrealistic. Frankly, Frenzy carrying approximately five million of those throwing stars, in addition to a limitless amount of machine gun rounds--despite only being a head!--was far tougher to swallow than mass-shifting. My point in bringing this up is that the film is a mass of contradictions, sometimes making these convoluted twists in the interest of some pseudo-science, other times requiring an amazing amount of disbelief, well beyond swallowing the giant transforming robots.

When the movie starts with an old film cliche, and strings together one cliche after another, attaching them with so many plot holes that the overall story looks like a pair of fishnet stockings, it detracts from my enjoyment. The first scene of TF wasn't bad, but hardly original; every scene after that was lifted directly from some older movie (or, worse, outdated stereotypes).

In short, this movie doesn't follow any set of rules, even the rules it sets up itself.

The directing is also p***-poor, even by Bay's sometimes shaky standards. Take the bike chase, for instance. It starts in the morning, with Sam eating breakfast. And, suddenly, it's night. You can't tell me he was on his bike running from a Camero for more than twelve hours. That's such a ridiculous continuity error that it could've and should've been caught.

I don't bother going to see something that doesn't interest me. The movies I do see usually keep me interested. For the price they charge even for the matinees, I'd better enjoy myself, or that would just be a waste of time and money.

Same here. The previews for this looked disjointed and iffy, and overall not worth watching for $20 in the theater. Or for paying $20 for the DVD without seeing it first. I'm glad I didn't have to pay to see it. I went in with fairly low expectations and was disappointed, which is very rare indeed.

Tradition to a degree. Optimus Prime was such a hero character for me in 1984 as Star Wars faded away.... He was the unquestioned leader and confident decision maker who always knew what to do with very fluid yet robot-intelligence efficiency.

I've got to wonder again if you were watching the same cartoons I was. Throughout every incarnation, Prime has always risen above the odds to be an amazing leader. But he's at heart a pacifist, often racked with self-doubt. His own soldiers (most notably Grimlock, who's a troglodyte in one version and a conniving warrior in another) sometimes question his ability to lead, almost entirely because of his soft heart. In the very first episode, Prime lets the Decepticons escape just to save two meddling humans who are in danger. In the comic, he once ordered Megatron to be preserved just to save Ratchet. Even in the 1986 movie, Prime sacrifices himself without hesitation to save as many of his surviving troops as possible.

Profile: If he had been on Earth, he would be a doctor, a mechanic, a scientist and a warrior. But on Cybertron there is no difference between these professions. So Optimus uses his skills to heal and repair- which are the same things to Autobots- to improve the world around him and, if necessary, to fight. Both in power and intelligence, he has no equal. He has the personality of an Abraham Lincoln. He can be immensely kind and his compassion extends to all that lives, including the creatures of Earth. Yet he will battle unceasingly to protect the weak and defend what he believes in. To accomplish this, Optimus knows that the Decepticons must be defeated for all time.

Weaknesses: ...Otherwise, the only weakness he could be accused of having is being too compassionate and concerned about the safety of others. He would be a more effective military commander if he were more ruthless, but then he wouldn't be Optimus Prime.

That has consistently been the portrayal of Prime in every incarnation save the movie.

Again, I'm fine with changing aspects of the story. Make Prime's robot mode look like Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons if you want. But when you get to tampering with the core of the mythos (and Prime's personality, far more than any supporting character, is at the core of the mythos), there's no reason to call the movie an adaptation.

To put it another way: It's one thing to say Superman was in space for several years and to give him a son. He can still be Superman within that framework. He can still be Superman if you give him adventures in Smallville. But it's another thing altogether to say that Superman is a 400-lb black guy who fights crime with his amazing farts, and that Lex Luthor is secretly a ninja carrot.

So I have this attachment to the character.

I do as well, which makes it almost painful that he was the only character (human or robot) to exist as more than a name and perhaps a stereotype, and yet was done so poorly and off the mark.

Meanwhile, the movie did a great job of making BumbleBee a very cute and loveable character without having him talk.

I would totally disagree, primarily because Bumblebee is never anything more than a Camaro who turns into a robot. He's not given enough personality to be a character. He doesn't develop (aside from the totally unexplained restoration of his legs and voice in the end), what little we have is totally disjointed and contradictory, and he could literally be replaced with any other name. Characters cannot be interchangeable. If they are, they're not fleshed out enough.

And there was no reason for the lack of speech. If there's a reason, fine, lose the speech. But the only possible reason here is that him simply talking would eliminate about half an hour of attempted hilarity.

And another fun little contradiction: in one interview, Bay said he didn't speak because he wanted the relationship to be like the one from The Love Bug. Yet, in another, he justifies the decision to change him to a Camaro by saying he doesn't want comparisons to The Love Bug. Hmmm. Which is it?

And, uh, wouldn't any innocence be totally shot to hell when he literally pees on whatshisface?

There was a ton of personality in there with his change to the 2008 Camaro, his song choices and sound bytes, and his determination to never give up and always roll on.

Again, the only hint of a personality I can gather is that he wants Sam to get laid. Why this is important to him is never revealed. Maybe he has a secret Autobot fetish for couples making out on his hood. Of course, the real reason is that someone thought it would be funny. And, like most of the attempts at humor in this movie, it wasn't.

I didn't see any more indication of determination than in any of the other Autobots. The only difference was that they all seemed to see the humans as acceptable losses. Again, totally unnecessary change to the core of the mythos.

Kind of like how he was in the G1 show, too.

A silent warrior with a weird fixation on old music. It could've been Jazz. (Hell, it would've fit the portrayal better.) And I guess Ironhide is just like the G1 show, too, because he made a stupid reference to leaking lubricants? Never mind that this almost grandfatherly old soldier is turned into a triggerhappy lunatic (like his fellows)?

I bought into all that with the help of my nostalgia. I can actually agree with much of El Chuxter's points he made above, and still love that movie. I am really wisening up to the idea that I should not evaluate everyone else's emotional state around here, but I'm pretty open about mine. Sure I have all kinds of moments you could prescribe Ritalin, Prozac, Zoloft, etc. for, but some of those moments include the times when I can "sacrafice 50 IQ points" and go back to being a 4 year old and just loving this stuff as a 4 year old would. If there are plot or logic gaps, I can use my ability to think more sophistocatedly to fill in those gaps with some pretty mature reasoning even if the film offers nothing to indicate that's the case. Stillakid notes I do this for the SW prequels. Maybe. But if that helps me enjoy them more, I'm very glad that I am enjoying something!

But the film is obviously not meant for a 4-year old. It's for adults. Adults who have, by now, seen a lot of supposedly "kiddie" properties made into amazingly good movies (Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, etc).

I've got a fair amount of nostalgia myself. I have the entire run of the Marvel comic, I own the entire series on DVD, I still have all my vintage figures and bought all the Classics. But mere nostalgia cannot justify a bad movie.

Just because I'm a huge Batman fan doesn't mean I liked Catwoman, just because they used the name and (sort of) the costume of a Batman character. Like Transformers, there's no relationship between the names. Starscream's a shining example. We do not get a single bit of characterization. Not one bit. But he shares his name with one of the richest mines of strong characterization in the TF universe. A hopeless coward who is the Air Commander of the Decepticons; incredibly vain; always wanting to be the head honcho but never quite able to bring any of his plans to completion; seeing himself as superior to humans (even moreso than most Decepticons), but willing to forge strong allegiances with them when it suits his purposes. We see none of that. So he turns into a plane. They could've called him Thundercracker, Dirge, Thrust, Ramjet, or Skywarp, and the movie would not have changed one bit.

I enjoy a good update of a classic story. And I'm glad that there has been a recent worthy revival of the G1 characters. Only it can be found in the graphic novel department, rather than the DVD section.

Tycho
11-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Again, the only hint of a personality I can gather is that he wants Sam to get laid. Why this is important to him is never revealed. Maybe he has a secret Autobot fetish for couples making out on his hood.

Maybe he wants to give Sam something Sam wants since if you think about it, Sam is losing his $2,000 he contributed for his car to build his teenage memories, so BumbleBee is earning his grattitude and potential allegiance by trying to help Sam get some tail.

The only difference was that they all seemed to see the humans as acceptable losses. Again, totally unnecessary change to the core of the mythos.

Well Optimus Prime educated the Autobots otherwise, and BumbleBee was captured sacraficing himself to save Sam and Mikaela.

A silent warrior with a weird fixation on old music. It could've been Jazz. (Hell, it would've fit the portrayal better.)

True.

And I guess Ironhide is just like the G1 show, too, because he made a stupid reference to leaking lubricants? Never mind that this almost grandfatherly old soldier is turned into a triggerhappy lunatic (like his fellows)?

A hero for the Neo-Cons in the film audience. These are different from Decepticons. ;)

But the film is obviously not meant for a 4-year old. It's for adults. Adults who have, by now, seen a lot of supposedly "kiddie" properties made into amazingly good movies (Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, etc).

I think it pandered. The masturbation joke and such were for the adults presumably. It worked as it got tons of chuckles out of 40+ year old ladies in all the audiences I saw the film with. Many men were strangely silent of course. The kid-appeal is obvious, but I'll announce giant robots that turn into Hot Wheels anyway.

Like Transformers, there's no relationship between the names. Starscream's a shining example. We do not get a single bit of characterization. Not one bit. But he shares his name with one of the richest mines of strong characterization in the TF universe. A hopeless coward who is the Air Commander of the Decepticons; incredibly vain; always wanting to be the head honcho but never quite able to bring any of his plans to completion; seeing himself as superior to humans (even moreso than most Decepticons), but willing to forge strong allegiances with them when it suits his purposes. We see none of that. So he turns into a plane. They could've called him Thundercracker, Dirge, Thrust, Ramjet, or Skywarp, and the movie would not have changed one bit.

I totally agree with you here. I am hopeful that Starscream will now get more screentime and character development in the next movie. If the possibly leaked plot I read is true, then chances are great. But your post was great and smacked of being from a true fan.

I posted the last bit as a sincere compliment, so no one should read anything else into that.

Tycho
11-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Shai LeBouf Arrested! (http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/11/04/shia-labeouf-arrested/)

He refused to leave a Walgreens late at night. I wonder if he thought THEY were the store getting in the Masterpiece Starscreams?

El Chuxter
11-05-2007, 11:18 PM
He would've said, "Hey! There's something wrong with that Starscream! He looks nothing like the robotic love child of a chicken and a monkey!"

Don't shoot the messenger. The guy said he didn't know squat about Transformers before taking this role.

2-1B
11-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Why would anyone want to go into a Walgreens at night, let alone want to NOT leave one ??? :confused:

Tycho
11-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Why would anyone want to go into a Walgreens at night, let alone want to NOT leave one ??? :confused:

I could understand if it was Wal-MART. I do that. :crazed: (for toys)

Blue2th
11-06-2007, 08:48 AM
They have Star Wars figures in there and Hot Wheels at $1 more.
He was waiting for them to open up some new cases and was ****ing off the stocker?

Tycho
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
He was waiting for them to open up some new cases and was ****ing off the stocker?

Who knows. He could have been. Leonardo DiCapprio and Michael Rosenbaum are two famous celebrity collectors like we are.

The article said LeBouf was drunk. But you can (impatiently) wait for stockers while drunk as well. I've left a night club (more or less sober though) on prior occasions and stopped in at 24hr Wal-Marts on the way home.

I have no knowledge of whether LeBouf collects anything, but interviews I think I recollect have him mentioning that he has some of his own Transformers. Getting certain ones might still involve a stake-out of a store during its stocking hour. But for all the details we have, LeBouf might have been trying to obtain and abuse non-prescription drugs, drinking NyQuil after last call at whatever bar he left.

El Chuxter
11-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Six--now seven--posts on this subject are far more than the little twerp deserves. Let's just ignore him, and maybe he will go away. It's not like he has any actual acting talent to sustain him once people stop paying attention.

Beast
11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Six--now seven--posts on this subject are far more than the little twerp deserves. Let's just ignore him, and maybe he will go away. It's not like he has any actual acting talent to sustain him once people stop paying attention.
Hey, he was pretty good in Disturbia. And he wasn't the worst part of Transformers.

Rocketboy
11-06-2007, 11:45 AM
You make it sound like there were good parts in Transwhatevers.

El Chuxter
11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
There were.

I recall a couple of cleavage shots.

Blue2th
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Harrison Ford after being introduced by Shai at the Horror-Sci-Fi awards, mentioned to expect really good things from this young guy. Apparently Ford likes him alot.

El Chuxter
11-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Ford also likes Callista Flockheart.

Ooooooooh, BURN!!! I got that Harrison b**** good!

General_Grievous
11-06-2007, 09:58 PM
You know, Chux, I just want to ask you one thing. And this can go to anyone else who hated the movie as well. Even though you hated the movie, did you like the musical score? A lot of people on message boards who said that they hated the movie because of the bastardization of the Transformers did have positive things to say about the score. I must say it was a really good score for a movie. Nothing John Williams-size of course, but it was still good. What did you think?

figrin bran
11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
GG, Chux already addressed the movie score as a "Jurassic Park ripoff/LOTR ripoff".

To me, it didn't stand out anymore than your garden variety movie score.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 12:52 AM
It was too inconsistent. Every theme sounded like it came from a different movie. Bits of it were okay, but, as a whole, I don't think it worked.

bigbarada
11-07-2007, 03:17 AM
The main theme of the movie just sounds like they put an Army recruiting commercial on a playback loop.

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I dunno man. I've got a 10 year old who still hasn't bothered to take the wrapper off the Transformers DVD that his grandparents bought him... and who isn't even slightly interested in toys from the movie. I'm not getting a "long term interest" vibe from this film. Not from the kids I know anyway.

I'm kind of curious about what it is that's got adult collectors interested in this one exactly.Episode-I-itis.

I had no attachment to Transformers, but the trailers had me a bit interested to see them as a live action movie. All of those logic gaps or plot holes that Chux brought up were things that didn't really occur to me when watching the movie. There were some things that didn't seem right, but overall I was enjoying it. I don't necessarily want to see it again, but there a lot of good movies I don't really care if I see again either. I watched it, I enjoyed it, I went home.That's Michael-Bay-itis, all his movies are like that.

And there was no reason for the lack of speech. If there's a reason, fine, lose the speech. But the only possible reason here is that him simply talking would eliminate about half an hour of attempted hilarity.Vital CPD, if Bumblebee could talk, he could have just told Sam what was up, or even called him on the phone and ordered the glasses off the web. But by having BB a mute, it forced the incredibly thin Sam character to project more of the "human aspect" as well in order to interact. It's like Herbie the Love Bug except without the skill or heart or quality writing, Dean Jones is doing most of the acting but you feel for Herbie. With BB though, they really didn't deliver as well.

You know, Chux, I just want to ask you one thing. And this can go to anyone else who hated the movie as well. Even though you hated the movie, did you like the musical score? A lot of people on message boards who said that they hated the movie because of the bastardization of the Transformers did have positive things to say about the score. I must say it was a really good score for a movie. Nothing John Williams-size of course, but it was still good. What did you think?I thought it was inept for the most part, no exciting themes, everything was a downbeat or overwrought. I know a bunch of folks who think it's really good, but in the movie I thought it didn't work with the material and wasn't rock enough for Bay's usual material. The only moment that totally felt workable in the score to me was the Barricade vs Bumblebee chase rock music, and even that should have been better (and a longer scene). The rest felt very dark and sluggish and generic, which now that I think about it actually does fit the movie in those terms.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Vital CPD, if Bumblebee could talk, he could have just told Sam what was up, or even called him on the phone and ordered the glasses off the web. But by having BB a mute, it forced the incredibly thin Sam character to project more of the "human aspect" as well in order to interact. It's like Herbie the Love Bug except without the skill or heart or quality writing, Dean Jones is doing most of the acting but you feel for Herbie. With BB though, they really didn't deliver as well.

Exactly. That's what I was referring to as "attempted hilarity," as the car tries to get its owner some tail and then runs off in the night. Had Bay not been so stuck on bringing the Transformers in the movie only after it was half over, and had he not come up with this moronic idea of Bumblebee being a goofy sidekick, none of this would've been necessary.

Bumblebee should've talked. Not only could the "character" have been fleshed out quite a bit more, but we could've seen the Transformers earlier. What's with the suspense? Everyone went into this expecting giant robots turning into things; why delay giving people what they want?

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Ultimately, that all stems from 2 things:
1) Spielberg pushed the concept of "a boy and his car" very hard;
2) Bay really didn't want to make a Transformers movie, he wanted to make an alien invasion picture and Spielberg let him.

Droid
11-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Ultimately, that all stems from 2 things:
1) Spielberg pushed the concept of "a boy and his car" very hard;
2) Bay really didn't want to make a Transformers movie, he wanted to make an alien invasion picture and Spielberg let him.

I am extremely worried that Spielberg is going to make Indy IV be "a boy and his dad". I just cringe thinking about that movie. See Indy will be going "I'm too old for this" through the whole movie. And then he'll have to rescue his son. But then his son will have to rescue him at some point and we'll see the SON is becoming the hero. And maybe Indy will give his son his hat the way the guy gave Indy his hat at the beginning of Last Crusade. And then we can assume that from then on all of Indy's adventures would be with this kid.

I just worry it is going to copy too many father-son motifs from other movies. I just think they already explored the father-son theme to perfection in Last Crusade. And I don't look forward to them probably having Indy make the same mistakes Henry did. I know Lucas likes to say he likes to explore the same motifs over and over again from slightly different angles, like jazz, but to me it just implies that you really only have two or three really good ideas and that you act like you're repeating yourself as an artistic choice rather than just not having any other ideas.

I would so much rather they'd bring back Short Round.

Indiana Jones is supposed to be "better than Bond". Bond always had a different girl, a different villain, a different mission. That they are bringing back Marion, wanted to bring back Henry, and giving him a son just gets away from the Bond anthology of stories about the central hero too much for my tastes.

I know I'm in the wrong thread for this. But Spielberg and Shia coming into Indy IV after Transformers makes me nervous.

Tycho
11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Excellent post Droid. I think you also just outlined the plot for the entire Jones movie as well, dude. It's formulaic. You got that covered exactly like it will turn out.

I'll go and watch that just to enjoy the nostalgia again, hear John Williams' music blaring, etc. but I'm not a demanding critic.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
My favorite part of the score easily had to be when the autobots descend. THat music was great. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
11-07-2007, 06:58 PM

I watched that in the special features disc, Bay was completely disinterested in making the movie until he realized that he didn't need to show any sort of respect to the source material. According to the little mini-documentary, they made it sound like Hasbro convinced Bay to agree to do the film.

Watching this again on DVD, I'm just frustrated by the poor cinematography of the action scenes. There is enough in this movie to make me WANT to like it, so I'm not trying to be over critical; but there is just so much that is preventing me from liking it. I want to see transforming robots battling it out, but all of that is cropped out of the frame or obscured by some lighting effect. Even when it is plainly visible the movie just cuts away too fast to really get a sense of the awe of it all.

That's not to mention that 2/3rds of the movie is focused on two-dimensional characters and racial stereotypes, which is how Bay always seems to handle the human interaction of his movies.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I watched that in the special features disc, Bay was completely disinterested in making the movie until he realized that he didn't need to show any sort of respect to the source material.

Wow. That's certainly the way to make an adaptation.

If Hasbro told a twit like Bay that he didn't have to honor the source material, my already sketchy hopes for GIJoe went down the toilet.

bigbarada
11-07-2007, 10:10 PM
His whole interview just disgusted me, he was clearly not a fan of the franchise at all. He made some remark about how he initially had no interest in making a "toy movie." As if the concept was just so beneath him... keeping in mind that this is Michael Bay that we are talking about.

But it wasn't until Hasbro took him on a tour of their "Transformers museum" of sorts, that he saw ways that he could totally screw up the franchise.

And for Steven Spielberg to claim that Bay was "born to direct" Transformers really doesn't bode well for the man's mental state. I'm more worried about Indy IV now after seeing this interview.

JediTricks
11-08-2007, 04:59 PM
My favorite part of the score easily had to be when the autobots descend. THat music was great. :thumbsup:I thought that piece was unbelievably overwrought, like some sort of concentration camp rescue scene. Here's a scene that should be magic and instead they make it feel like everybody on the planet just discovered contracted cancer & AIDS at the same time. But I'll give that piece effectiveness points, it's at least moving.

I watched that in the special features disc, Bay was completely disinterested in making the movie until he realized that he didn't need to show any sort of respect to the source material. According to the little mini-documentary, they made it sound like Hasbro convinced Bay to agree to do the film.I'm not surprised really, they've never hidden the issue, they've said it over and over since before they finished filming even. It's weird, they put the pieces out there for us to figure out that this is a recipe for disaster, yet most folks seemed to either not put them together or not want to.

Watching this again on DVD, I'm just frustrated by the poor cinematography of the action scenes. There is enough in this movie to make me WANT to like it, so I'm not trying to be over critical; but there is just so much that is preventing me from liking it. I want to see transforming robots battling it out, but all of that is cropped out of the frame or obscured by some lighting effect. Even when it is plainly visible the movie just cuts away too fast to really get a sense of the awe of it all.Yeah, I really hated that, this was a case of a shoddy use of style and effects at the same time. I know that's Bay's style, the quick-cut (Armageddon has no shot longer than 5 seconds supposedly and an average shot length of 1.5 seconds), but adding shaky cam PLUS convoluted CGI monsters really made it difficult to comprehend, and certainly nothing like a feeling of being among these creatures.

Qui-Long Gone
11-12-2007, 09:57 AM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6515

Once again Bay shows how much he appreciates the fans!

What a douche bag....

Droid
11-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Guess what buddy? A lot of important directors and other Hollywood types better than you have tried to keep scripts a secret and in the end they always come out. Here's a tip though for trying to figure out which scripts are real - if it contains good ideas, well fleshed out characters, and is true to the Transformers mythos in some way it is one of the fake scripts.

Tycho
11-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Maybe the False one is actually the True one and he's just saying it's False so that we won't know it's True, and then he'll let out other False ones but we'll have seen the True one all along. But we'll start to doubt it's True now because we'll read other stuff that is False, but won't be True for Real, making mistake after mistake because we already know the Real Truth. But of course we'll think that's False.

DarkArtist
11-12-2007, 07:08 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6515

Once again Bay shows how much he appreciates the fans!

What a douche bag....

I say good for him. I mean what's the point of seeing the movie if you know what's going to happen. I mean it's one thing if it's a series of movies like Harry Potter where the books came out well before the movies but I think Bay is on to something. I would much rather be left in the dark. I think the thing that drove me to watch the Transformers movie in the first place was the very first trailer about the Mars rover.

Tycho
11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

I care enough about the legend and it being either true to most elements of G1 that I grew up with, or at least being very cool. The AllSpark is still a rather tough concept to wrap my head around. What the heck is it? Heck: the Cybertronians don't even know in Bay's movie storyline. But they'll certainly kill over it.

So when a plot outline or script leaks, I'm all over it because I care WHAT they are going to do. Then I'll go and see it when the film releases because I also care HOW they execute doing it.

I did the same thing with every Star Wars prequel and learned all I could AND read the comic adaptation before seeing each movie. It didn't ruin anything for me. I rather enjoyed the process.

2-1B
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Me too Tycho, with Star Wars prequels I loved the Spoiler process because it was part of the whole SW hobby for me.

With all other films though, I want to know as little as possible.

Well, with Transformers I don't care because I don't take these films seriously. lol lol lol

One thing I do know is I know how to screw them up more," said Bay.

That's a GREAT quote to take out of context, it sounds like he's talking about screwing up the movies ! lol lol lol

bigbarada
11-13-2007, 11:39 PM
I say good for him. I mean what's the point of seeing the movie if you know what's going to happen. I mean it's one thing if it's a series of movies like Harry Potter where the books came out well before the movies but I think Bay is on to something. I would much rather be left in the dark. I think the thing that drove me to watch the Transformers movie in the first place was the very first trailer about the Mars rover.

I don't see how knowing the outcome of the film is a deterrent to watching it. I know how WW2 turned out, but Saving Private Ryan still turned out to be a profound movie-going experience. I loved watching The Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings, even though I had read each of the books several times over. I read the ROTJ storybook before watching any of the Star Wars films and I've been a lifelong fan of that series.

I didn't care much for the Harry Potter films or Bridge to Teribithia and really have no interest in the Golden Compass film coming up, because I don't know the story; but I'm super stoked about Prince Caspian coming out next May, because I've read the book and am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Basically, if I'm going to spend the money to watch the movie, then it better be a story that I KNOW I am going to like.

The "element of surprise" in movies is overrated because it only works once. But a well-structured story and inspired directing will make a movie worth watching over and over again.

El Chuxter
11-13-2007, 11:56 PM
The following is not one of my patented stupid jokes.

I once p***ed off one of my less intellectual cousins. She was going on a date to see Titanic. I said, "I hate to ruin the movie, but the boat sinks."

She didn't know that.

bigbarada
11-14-2007, 12:03 AM
The following is not one of my patented stupid jokes.

I once p***ed off one of my less intellectual cousins. She was going on a date to see Titanic. I said, "I hate to ruin the movie, but the boat sinks."

She didn't know that.

Not to sound sexist, but I don't know of too many girls who are all that knowledgeable about history. We had a girl in one of our Photoshop classes who took a picture of the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor and she thought it was something that happened during the Vietnam War.:stupid:

Tycho
11-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Not to sound sexist, but I don't know of too many girls who are all that knowledgeable about history.

No. Please continue to be sexist. I've long been a member of a Men's Club. You're in good standing. :thumbsup:

I will nominate you for the Tom Leykis Attitude Achievement Award!

Tycho
11-24-2007, 09:10 PM
I watched part of the documentaries done for the Transformers DVD as my friend got me the 2 disc SE copy.

It showed how Michael Bay blew up cars and was totally into BumbleBee being a muscle car and how he discovered the Camaro!

Michael Bay is a god!

Blowing up the bus was wild. And they blew up a car so high it flew into a building during their downtown action sequence.

Michael Bay talked about how he likes to blow up real cars instead of doing CGI stuff. They even have a special vehicle with a cage built around it that Michael Bay uses to smash right through car explosions when he blows stuff up. That's really cool! Wouldn't it be great having a job as a car bomber? You have to Michael Bay to do that stuff without being called a terrorist!

El Chuxter
11-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Michael Bay is a god of doon.

General_Grievous
11-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Can we just stop talking about Michael Bay all together?

2-1B
11-25-2007, 03:49 AM
No kidding, 138 pages of this crap is enough. Please close this thread.

Tycho
11-25-2007, 05:18 AM
No kidding, 138 pages of this crap is enough. Please close this thread.

Well I can't wait to start the Transformers sequel thread and continue the appreciation of the genius of Michael Bay!

2-1B
11-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm fine with that because that's a different story, Tycho. :)

I can't wait to read the posts on the sequel from Rocketboy, JT, Mabs, etc etc etc lol lol lol

El Chuxter
11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm only showing 35 pages, Cae. Maybe you should change your settings.

mabudonicus
11-25-2007, 02:33 PM
I got 138 pages too, Chux, seems you lose by a (VERY modest, admittedly) consensus

And Cae, you gave me a good idea- perhaps we (the "haters" :)) should write a kind of "future review" here ASAP and then we can all see who got closest to the resulting doon-storm :D
I think that would be fun and likely pretty easy to get a LOT of stuff right, unlike the film itself, that way those of us that thought the "film" SUCKED can actually enjoy the steaming crappiness when it streets

Anyone??
:beard: Iso & Baws
If it ain't a reboot/retraction of the first installment it's gona STINK. I HOPE the REAL Prime shows up and gives an apology and blames the Decepticons for creating propaganda, that would excuse the first one pretty well, but nothing short of that will do and I doubt it's gonna happen

2-1B
11-25-2007, 02:43 PM
No matter the page count, the post totals don't lie: 1380+ and counting. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
11-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm at 20 per page, so I have twice as many pages as Chux, but half as many as Caesar. I choose the middle path.

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Sooooo... Michael Bay did good by completely misinterpreting the character of Bublebee merely because he was attracted to the new Camaro, further pointing out how little the man cares about the material and was merely in it to sell out to GM and create more of his hollow POS movies? Wowee, I can really see why you'd be gay for Bay there Tycho. :rolleyes: How about we get Bay to come over to your house, you can tell him 2 + 2 = 4, he can disagree and say 2 + 2 = 73 because it's more exciting and he always wanted to make 73, and you can applaud him and tell him how he's fulfilled your wildest childhood math fantasies.

plasticfetish
11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
and you can applaud him and tell him how he's fulfilled your wildest childhood math fantasies.They can share beard secrets as well.

Tycho
11-27-2007, 11:09 PM
How about we get Bay to come over to your house, you can tell him 2 + 2 = 4, he can disagree and say 2 + 2 = 73 because it's more exciting and he always wanted to make 73, and you can applaud him and tell him how he's fulfilled your wildest childhood math fantasies.

That would be so awesome! :thumbsup:

Tycho
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
First Video Footage from TRANSFORMERS 2!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQsthDNGW0)

Mad Slanted Powers
12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Michael Bay stole my line! I used to go into the Star Wars chat room on AOL. When people came in there and said "Star Wars sucks", I would say, "Yes, Star Wars sucks in the big bucks."

I guess I've never seen a douche before. I thought he had transformed into a whoopee cushion.

JediTricks
12-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Is it really a "transformation" that he was a douche?

That was actually an enema bag with douche attachment, also not a stretch for Bay.

Tycho
12-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I posted the same video for entertainment over at the TFW boards and a mod there closed the thread - first time that ever happened to me over there. (I only misbehave online here because I know it keeps you guys sooooo entertained).

But they must take their Transformers so very seriously at TFW. But the Lil Formers cartoons over there make fun of "those" fans as of late. But this video crosses the line? What line? You're allowed to swear, post a bit more risque images, etc. over there. But DO NOT EVER make fun of Transformers I guess.

Funny thing is, I love the movie and appreciate Michael Bay. I just have a sense of humor and can take a joke - especially one where someone bothered to produce a whole cartoon show "event" for it.

So I started wondering, was the Jewish Shai LeBouf's image drawn too stereotypical? Was Megatron being gay offensive to homosexuals? Does Bret Ratner and Rush Hour 2 fans deserve more respect?

I didn't contact the mod over there, I just let things be. I don't have any relationships good or bad on the TFW boards, whereas here I'd start 16 threads complaining if JediMasterGuyute corrected my spelling :D

plasticfetish
12-03-2007, 04:15 AM
That was actually an enema bag with douche attachmentYour knowledge of "bags" is kind of scary there JT.

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Knowing is half the battle.

Tycho, they probably closed your thread because there was another one there or something.

And they drew Shia looking like himself, he looks like that, so it can't be too stereotypical jewy.

Tycho
12-04-2007, 02:31 AM
I don't think they drew Shia correctly. It was funny for the cartoon and I would laugh if it was meant to be an unflattering stereotype. That doesn't actually bother me - look at all the political cartoons and how they are charactured. But Shai is younger looking and has smaller more child-like features. He may look as he's drawn in about 5-10 more years, but he doesn't now.

I'm not really worried about that. But here again we also have Optimus Prime with yellow eyes and he has blue eyes. I don't know where they keep getting the yellow eyes from except possibly the G1 toy was issued that way, before the cartoon established that all Autobots typically have blue eyes, and Decepticons, red eyes. There might have been some exceptions, but Optimus wasn't one of them (except the toy maybe). Unfortunately, the Leader Class movie toy continued this "tradition."

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Considering they drew them like their G1 counterparts, I'd say the yellow eyes on Prime fit.

You think waaay too much about Shia's looks for a straight guy. :p

Tycho
12-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Yeah. Whatever.

JediTricks
12-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I wasn't suggesting you were gay for anybody but Bay. ;)

Tycho
12-07-2007, 11:18 PM
No dude: in psychology, that's projection. I'm actually in love with Optimus Prime and BumbleBee. Michael Bay is like their middle-man.

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 02:59 AM
So you're in love with the robots' pimp?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-08-2007, 03:11 AM
So you're in love with the robots' pimp?

No, he said he was in love with Optimus and Bumblebee. He wants some sweet robot lovin'.

Tycho
12-08-2007, 04:37 AM
Yeah. What do you call yourself when you get between Optimus Prime and BumbleBee?.................the Driveway. :p

figrin bran
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Did anyone catch the premiere of the animated series last night? I'm watching it as we speak and the first 15 minutes are already better than the entire Bay movie :p

Tycho
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Is Peter Cullen Optimus Prime?

El Chuxter
12-28-2007, 12:02 AM
I quite enjoyed Transformers: Animated, figrin. It was the first "update" I've really liked (especially if you consider Beast Wars is technically a continuation of G1).

Starscream was actually "more" Starscreamish than he's ever been in cartoons before. Megatron was a nasty mofo, also, for the short time we saw him, and Blitzwing was funny (in a stupid sort of way). And it was interesting seeing Prime as a junior commander, having to answer to Magnus. (I noticed a bit of rivalry with Sentinel Prime, and hope that's explored.)

The nods to previous versions were excellent: the G1 sound effects and "history videos," the cameos by Spike and Daniel, the Allspark/Matrix, Blackarachnia being a prominent Decepticon, even the "homage" to the dumb image of Prime lying on the ground in the movie.

Bulkhead reminds me a bit of Hunk from Voltron, and the new version of Prowl is pretty badarse. (Odd to hear a voice like Nigel Crane's coming from a self-proclaimed Ninjabot, though.)

I didn't care for the designs of the humans, though. However, I can live with them. I just think this style works better on the Bots and Cons.

It's sorta pathetic that a cartoon designed for kids had a stronger storyline and far more character development in fifteen minutes than that turd of a movie had in all its 2+ hours. (I commented on that after the second commercial break, and it's cool to see we think alike on this.)

2-1B
12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Is Grimlock in it ?

figrin bran
12-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Grimlock will be in it eventually as will Slag and some of the other Dinobots.

Chux is right on - this version of Starscream is everything that the old Screamer should be. Singlehandedly he gave the Autobots all they could handle. How pathetic does that movie version look now? :p

I'm not a huge fan of the humans look but I'm used to it by now from watching LOSH. Sari is much more tolerable to me than Sam Witwicky from the movie. Bumblebee is a bit annoying though and I'll give the movie credit for having a better incarnation of him.

Tycho, Peter Cullen isn't Optimus but the person voicing him does a pretty good job. To put it into terms you might relate to, this version of Optimus is supposed to be like what Smallville Clark is to Superman.

I'm not usually a toy line completist but I can definitely see myself picking up quite a few of the toys for this show. I definitely want Screamer and I know I'll want the Dinobots.

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 02:23 AM
I forgot to tape this and haven't caught it yet. I really dislike the art style though, so it's going to take a lot to get me into it. That said, I'm not even remotely surprised this is better than the movie, these are writers who care about the medium and the franchise.

figrin bran
12-29-2007, 02:39 AM
JT, I believe it airs again tomorrow night so you might be able to catch it then. Alas, you forget - there is no bigger "fan" of the franchise than Michael Bay! He said so himself :p

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 05:07 AM
Yeah, but it turned out he was talking about Gobots and just had the name wrong. :p

Good thing you mentioned that, it's actually on at 10am, I wouldn't have thought to check until AFTER that.

El Chuxter
12-29-2007, 01:57 PM
If your cable has OnDemand, it's on Cartoon Network OnDemand as "Transform and Roll Out."

Tycho
12-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Alas, you forget - there is no bigger "fan" of the franchise than Michael Bay! He said so himself :p

Michael Bay!!!!:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, I watched the cartoon. First off, I can 100% guarantee Tycho won't like this show, it's so anti-G1... then again, he liked the movie. :p

I hated it with a passion.

The animation is pretty low in framerate (like near Hanna-Barbera's 8 fps) and the art is very sloppy and slipshod. The art design is loathesome, it reeks of Teen Titans but from a cheap knockoff perspective. Transformations are very much just zip-lines and amorphous key-frames. And why does everybody have a very long, odd or goofy face?

The voice talent is all wrong, Optimus Prime might have been bearable if he weren't named Optimus Prime but David Kaye is only doing what they tell him, so no gravitas or maturity or strength. I hate hate hate Bumblebee, the rest are pretty bad but BB is unbearable. Cree Summer as Blackarachnia kinda reeks because she's just so recognizable as her voice rather than any character the actress is playing. I think Tom Kenny is possibly the worst thing they've done here though, he's playing Starscream and at first it sounds passable, but quickly you begin to notice he's just doing his high-pitched Tom Kenny voice and it starts coming off more as Penguin from the new The Batman - hell, by the end I had to concentrate to not hear Screamer sounding like Penguin mixed with Spongebob (anybody else find it funny that both Spongebob and Patrick Star's voices are main characters on this show, but enemies?).

The characterizations are all fairly generic fare, they took bits and pieces from Beast Wars, RID, and beyond, but the reality is that there's no substance around that, just nods and little else (also like Teen Titans). The token human is an unbearable little girl who is omnipresent the minute she's introduced, lots of antics and silliness that's just intolerable. The new premise of the Autobots being superheroes in a future age belies the point of "robots in disguise", at one point near the end there is literally no reason for the bots to be in alt mode - Bulkhead actually transforms and walks through crowded traffic for a cheap gag.

Bay's Transformers, we know why it was bad, this cartoon seems to be bad for some of the same reasons (reimagining the designs and roles of the robots) but instead of pandering up to an older audience, this panders down.

Tycho
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
IESB.net has posted an interview with Lorenzo di Bonaventura regarding his role as a producer of the upcoming G.I. Joe live-action movie. Towards the end of the interview, they did ask him about the filming status of Transformers 2 as he serves as a producer. Lorenzo stated that filming is currently scheduled to start on June 2, 2008. Filming is dependent upon resolution of the writer's strike, as they current have a very fine outline to work off of but no complete screenplay. He also states that director Michael Bay has already designed "stuff" already and that he has quite a few great sequences imagined. Lorenzo also reiterates Michael Bay's previous statement that Transformers 2 will deliver a bigger experience.

1) There will be a bigger, longer masturbation discussion! Dr. Phil might even get in on a cameo for this.

2) The next time BumbleBee "lubricates" a human, he'll have a fuller tank. Maybe he'll backfire out his tailpipe at the same time, too!

3) Michael Bay has been busy in ladies clothing stores picking out a wardrobe that will once again showcase more of Megan Fox's "stuff."

If the show is a go, I recommend we start the Transformers 2 thread this June (for all the detractors of how long this thread has gone on). Then I can continue discussing MICHAEL BAY in another thread!

DarthQuack
01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
So I've been outta it for a little while, when's this show on regularly?

figrin bran
01-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Chux, have you watched the "Blast from the Past" Dinobots episode yet? I'm curious what you thought of it.

DarthQuack, I think the series comes on Saturday mornings at 10:30 am.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I saw it yesterday morning. I was a little disappointed (I was really hoping to hear someone say he was physically superior to Optimus Prime), but it was still pretty good. The last shot of Grimlock discovering he could transform was priceless.

The more I see, the more I like most of the show, but the more the human animation bothers me.

Dr Sumdac has to be the biggest moron in the history of cartoons. "Oh, you were just experimenting with fire breath? That's okay. I won't tell your Autobot friends that I have your head in here helping me, Megatron."

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Best final scene of a Transformers episode EVER. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0tzcZ4GTzg)

If any of you ever see a t-shirt with animated Grimlock that says "Cars and trucks bad! Car robots worse!!" PLEASE let me know where you saw it.

Tycho
01-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Me think that was cool, Chuxter.

figrin bran
01-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Best final scene of a Transformers episode EVER. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0tzcZ4GTzg)

If any of you ever see a t-shirt with animated Grimlock that says "Cars and trucks bad! Car robots worse!!" PLEASE let me know where you saw it.

I'm sure it's possible to have one made!

I laughed when I saw that part! :thumbsup: but it should read "Cars and trucks bad! Car robots WORSE!!!!" :p

I can't wait until the toys of the Dinobots are available.

Tycho
01-26-2008, 05:14 AM
DUDE!!!

Transformers is up for 3 Oscar Awards!

I think Optimus Prime should get one for the best portrayal of a semi-truck!

Meanwhile, There Is Going to Be A Transformers Theme Park Ride!

From TFW2005.com:

According to IESB.net, Hasbro and Paramount Studios are in early talks with an amusement park about building a Transformers-themed amusement park ride. Although plans and talks are early in the development, the ride being suggested is being called a "dark ride". Per Wikipedia, a "dark ride is an indoor amusement ride where riders in guided vehicles travel through specially-lit scenes that characteristically contain animation, sounds, music, and other special effects." According to the tipster, one concept involves an amphibious vehicle that guests will board and then find themselves in the middle of a battle between the warring factions. According to our tipsters, the designers were told that some Transformers could not be used because they will not be surviving the second film and third film! The development and construction of a typical ride takes two to three years, so completion of this project is expected around the time of release of Transformers 3 in 2011 or 2012.

Oh man, I hope there will be an animatronic Michael Bay in this!

On top of that, how cool would an animatronic Megan Fox be? Maybe they'll even sell life-sized ones made to look like her in the giftshop.

Plus they can help America's auto industry out by building these at both Disney parks (you know it's going to be Disney with the Paramount thing) - because they can buy multiple b1tchn Camaros! Yellow Camaros are totally cool!

Wouldn't it be wild to see 24 foot robots (and taller) be animated so they actually transform during your ride?

I'm not sure this will be a roller coaster. I think it will be more like Disneyland's Indiana Jones thing. I wonder who you'll ride in? You'd think Bumblebee would be too small to make into a ride-along car. If I had to guess, it would be Ironhide because you can pack people in the back of a pickup like the Taliban.

But it'd be sweet if you "flew in" on board Blackout for a Decepticon version of the ride, as well.

But if they're not doing characters that die... well Blackout wouldn't really be an option then would he?

JediTricks
01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
There's a video on this page worth seeing: http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/universe/

Tycho
01-30-2008, 06:45 PM
There's a video on this page worth seeing: http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/universe/

That was sweet, JT. Thanks for sharing!
I am always going to be nostalgic for G1.

Exhaust Port
01-31-2008, 12:29 AM
That was better than the whole M.Bay movie.

Tycho
01-31-2008, 02:39 AM

Don't be silly.

Hasbro's film didn't have even one instance of:

- a Transformer pee'ing on a human
- a masturbation joke
- combat between two so-like-designed robots that you couldn't tell them apart
-a chiwawa dog wearing "bling"
-an alt mode for Megatron so different from tradition that he really was a RiD

and so forth.

Michael Bay is a genius!

JediTricks
01-31-2008, 09:06 PM
The page alone was better than the movie. Viewing the page's source code was better. :p

Jedi_Kal-El
01-31-2008, 09:16 PM
The page alone was better than the movie. Viewing the page's source code was better. :p

Anything Generation1 was/is better than Bay's movie.

BRING BACK MEGATRON AS A FREAKIN GUN!!!!!!!!!

General_Grievous
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't mean to shoot down anyone's childhoods, but Megatron just doesn't seem that menacing when he transforms into a gun to be fired by his whiny second-in-command.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-31-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't mean to shoot down anyone's childhoods, but Megatron just doesn't seem that menacing when he transforms into a gun to be fired by his whiny second-in-command.

The only time Starscream was ever a bad *** was when he was holding Megatron in his hand.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Their childhoods were already ruined by the fact that they had to watch lame cartoons based on toys. Transformers, GoBots, GI Joe, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony.

I, however, am well adjusted because I watched plenty of the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show, Fat Albert, and Tom & Jerry.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Their childhoods were already ruined by the fact that they had to watch lame cartoons based on toys. Transformers, GoBots, GI Joe, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony.

I, however, am well adjusted because I watched plenty of the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show, Fat Albert, and Tom & Jerry.

Hey, Hey, Hey. I grew up on all those too MSP. Remeber Thundar the Barbarian? It rocked an they never had a toy line for it.

2-1B
01-31-2008, 11:28 PM

Thank you.

Megatron is lame, sorry but someone needs to say it. Why would a big robot that could carry it's own gun turn into a gun himself for someone else to use ?

That's lame.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey, Hey, Hey. I grew up on all those too MSP. Remeber Thundar the Barbarian? It rocked an they never had a toy line for it.

Yes, I remember that one, but I'm not sure if I watched it. Same thing with He-Man.

Tycho
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Thank you.

Megatron is lame, sorry but someone needs to say it. Why would a big robot that could carry it's own gun turn into a gun himself for someone else to use ?

That's lame.

This is an excellent point. Can Michael Bay borrow it?

El Chuxter
02-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Megatron was rebuilt by Teletraan-1 to be a gun. He didn't pick his alt-mode.

And he didn't use it very often.

Exhaust Port
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Michael Bay is a genius!

It's official, Tycho has lost it. He needs an intervention! :D

JediTricks
02-01-2008, 04:23 PM

And he didn't use it very often.
Nice point!

I can't believe we're having this discussion again though, it was talked out years ago.

El Chuxter
02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, it was.

And I believe the gun/tank supporters won.

General_Grievous
02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Gun/Tank Supporters? How could you group those two together? A tank actually makes sense for Megatron's alt-mode, whereas a gun is just plain weird.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM

They were all rebuilt by Teletran-1. None of them had a choice, and to my remeberance, none of them could self scan an alt-mode.

Gun/Tank Supporters? How could you group those two together? A tank actually makes sense for Megatron's alt-mode, whereas a gun is just plain weird.

If I had to choose him as a Tank, then his Armada tank mode wins. Freakin awesome toy too. :thumbsup:

It's official, Tycho has lost it. He needs an intervention! :D

Are you losing it Tycho?

Tycho
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
They were all rebuilt by Teletran-1. None of them had a choice, and to my remeberance, none of them could self scan an alt-mode.

Now Michael Bay has improved upon this story element giving us great scenes like when BumbleBee upgraded himself and Frenzy went from being a boombox to a cell phone!

Michael Bay is awesome!

Are you losing it Tycho?

No man. I have been touched by the AllSpark and I see the lights of Cyberton!

All hail Michael Bay!

Jedi_Kal-El
02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
They could actually self-scan in the Armada and Cybertron cartoons as well. Though in Cybertron they downloaded them from holograms that Jetfire provided and not an actual vehicle, with the exception of Landmine.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
God has answered my prayers. (Partly. Michael Bay is still alive and not being eaten by giant anteaters in a pit of lava, unfortunately.)

My boy will not be in Transformers 2: The Quest for More Suckage. Bay (best known as the only tampon in existence to sport a mullet) confirmed in an interview (not linking due to Bay being a pottymouth) that the Dinobots will not be in this turdfest.

Grimlock thanks you. Go and rape the other characters now, you scrotal pimple.

Tycho
02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Small things to be thankful for. Except for the G1 storyline where Wheeljack was a developed character who wanted to experiment and created the Dinobots (with Ratchet), there isn't a logical reason why robots in disguise would convert to extinct animals.

Transformers mainly do battle in robot mode. The Decepticons are the ones who turn into military vehicles that can fight in vehicle mode (jets, tanks, helicopters). But they are still in disguise when they do so.

A Dinobot is a warrior that transforms into a warrior. Is there an echo in here?

Don't get me wrong. I like Grimlock and he's a fun character. But the movies are a realistic take on the franchise. They have things like transforming soda pop machines instead.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 03:24 PM
IDW has the most logical reason so far for why Grimlock and company are dinosaurs. They tracked Shockwave to Earth about a million years ago, and had to shield themselves in synth-flesh to protect them from energon radiation that was emanating from Earth at that time. (Beast Wars reference, anyone?) However, they agreed the dominant mammals looked silly, and chose to base their designs on extinct reptiles. During the battle, the synth-flesh was burned away.

Tycho
02-12-2008, 03:44 PM
That's cool Chuxter.

So in the movie timeline, the deactivated Dinobots could be "discovered" by Optimus and bunch, rather than built?

That could work. Also, because of the condition of their "preservation" or something, their logic circuits could have degraded, leaving them in that sort of stupor condition, "Me Grimlock. Me kick butt" kind of way.

I think that perhaps the Dinobots should have been an ancient Autobot expedition to find the AllSpark in the first place, and they tracked Megatron to earth before BumbleBee ever did.

Unlike Megatron who was frozen in ice - why the future Dinobots never found him back then, these Autobots scanned and chose primative earth disguises - dinorsaurs and what not. THEN they got burried under lava rock or something. As I mentioned eariler, their logic circuits degraded, as they weren't frozen like Megatron, and when they finally re-emerge, they will be the Dinobots.

Because they knew him in the past, this will also explain their loyalty to Optimus Prime.

How's that? I could live with it.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Your five short paragraphs there are several hundred times better and more detailed than the scripts to Transformers 1 & 2 combined, Tycho. :thumbsup:

Droid
02-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't like Megatron as a tank. I like the general rule that Decepticons fly and Autobots roll. (Megatron and Soundwave being obvious exceptions to that rule even in G1.)

Tycho
02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I dig Powerglide and he is an Autobot that transforms into a Warthog plane.

I appreciate the basic premise, Droid, but I'll allow for exceptions.

2-1B
02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Bay (best known as the only tampon in existence to sport a mullet)

I thought mullets were usually worn by tampons...but I take your point, sir. :)

figrin bran
02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Your five short paragraphs there are several hundred times better and more detailed than the scripts to Transformers 1 & 2 combined, Tycho. :thumbsup:

Speaking of scripts, apparently Mr. Bay has finished writing the storyline for Transformers 2. He claims to have spent more than 30 minutes on it. :p

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I bet the SAG actors will be hypocrites and have no problem with a major studio script written by a non-WGA director during the midst of the strike.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-13-2008, 07:04 AM
saw this on superherohype! and figured I'd share it!

Transformers 2 director Michael Bay told Rotten Tomatoes at the Visual Effects Society awards that he's already written the sequel and will pass on his script to the screenwriters, who are coming off of the strike:

"I've been writing Transformers 2," said Bay. "We've got our characters all designed. I always write all my scripts, my movies anyway so at least I've got something to give the writers. It's like a template. We have a really good outline so I worked on that." It might be a tad unorthodox, but Bay has high pressure demands. "We had to because I want to make my date. I'm not going to let the strike take me down."

Bay also spoke to IESB, who he assured that we won't be seeing Dinobots in the follow-up. ILM's Scott Farrar also told the site that there will be a lot more robots this time and that the animatics look amazing so far.

:thumbsup:
Transformers 2 is scheduled for a June 26, 2009 release.

Slicker
02-13-2008, 07:17 AM
I liked the first one and can't wait for the second.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I liked the first one and can't wait for the second.

Couldn't agree more, Slickster!! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-13-2008, 02:15 PM
If the second one's like the first, it couldn't have taken more than three minutes to "write" it.

I just wanted a story, any story, that's all.

JediTricks
02-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave, Rumble, Ravage, Frenzy, Astrotrain (sorta), the Insecticons, Blitzwing (sorta), all 5 Constructicons, 3/5ths of the Combaticons, the Stunticons, 4/5ths of the Predacons, Galvatron, Gnaw of the Sharkticons, 4/6ths of Sixshot's modes, Octane (sorta), Runabout & Runamuck, 3/3rds of Reflector, and Trypticon are all examples of non-fliers from the first 3 years of TF.

And the second most-popular TF flier is Jetfire, an Autobot.

Tycho
02-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Dude, they could put in Cosmos and be ANOTHER movie franchise playing into the whole Roswell thing. :D

JediTricks
02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
From The Onion:

CGI Team Creates Realistic Oscar For Michael Bay

LOS ANGELES-A leading team of CGI experts hand-selected by blockbuster producer and director Michael Bay has pushed the limits of what can be accomplished with special effects and digital imaging by creating a computer- generated best-director Oscar for the 43-year-old filmmaker.

The $125 million project, funded entirely by Bay, has been called one of the most ambitious CGI undertakings to date, dwarfing even Bay's most ambitious efforts in his 2007 robot-action film, Transformers. A crew of nearly 200 technicians working for nine months on a 15,000-square-foot soundstage was required to realize the director's wildly imaginative fantasy world.

"Viewers are going to be blown away by how believable-looking we've been able to make Michael Bay accepting the highest award in film appear," said senior technical director Zsolt Krajcsik, who also worked with Bay on the 2003 film Bad Boys II. "The podium, the backdrop, the sense of creative achievement that hangs about him-it's all so vivid and detailed that you'd swear it was real."

Added Krajcsik, "When you see Michael thanking his talented cast and crew and raising the Oscar above his head, it's going to be hard to believe it never, ever happened."

In order to create the illusion of filmmaking achievement, Bay was first filmed in front of a green screen while being presented a "dummy" award, a green cylinder roughly the size and shape of an Oscar statuette. Technicians next analyzed a real Academy Award borrowed from Ben Affleck, whom Bay directed in the 2001 film Pearl Harbor, in order to build a digital model. The team then took the raw motion-capture footage of Bay accepting the dummy award and painstakingly rotoscoped the digitally rendered Oscar into every frame.

The CGI team also took great care to make the scenery match flawlessly with the new digital footage. Not only did technicians create a 3-D computer model of the Kodak Theatre, where the 2008 Academy Awards will be held, but they also engineered a startlingly lifelike audience. The computer-generated crowd was designed using advanced artificial intelligence software, which allowed the digital actors to behave as individuals and respond to each other and their surroundings as if Michael Bay were actually standing before them, being honored by his peers and the Academy. Using this program, thousands of meticulously detailed figures seemed to laugh, applaud, and cry at appropriate moments in Bay's 15-minute-long acceptance speech.

The same technology, which features a sophisticated cloth-simulation application, was used to create Bay's digital tuxedo.

"There is no way this would have been possible five years ago," Krajcsik said, later admitting that CGI technology is still decades away from making an Academy Award win for Rush Hour 3 director Brett Ratner look plausible.

While the production is a testament to recent technological advances in the field of CGI, the human aspect of the project also proved extremely challenging. As part of his intense preparation for the role of an acclaimed director, Bay said he interviewed several Academy Award winners, including Steven Spielberg and Marisa Tomei.

"This was a world that was completely foreign to me," said Bay, who spent months practicing the choreographed motions of holding the statue aloft and kissing it. "I tried to get a sense of what it would actually be like to hold an Oscar for the first time, and not just the emotions involved, but the actual heft and tactile feel of accepting the award."

Meryl Streep, who commanded a $5 million salary for her role as the presenter of the Oscar, said the production was the biggest challenge of her career.

"To put yourself in that mental place, in a world where something like this would be possible, it's just indescribable," Streep said. "Standing in front of that greenscreen and trying to make it look as though I actually believed what I was doing was the most difficult thing I've ever attempted as an actor."

The completed production will debut on ABC during the Academy Awards in a seamlessly integrated advertising block Bay purchased that directly precedes the presentation for best director, and has already garnered considerable buzz for its purportedly mind-boggling visual effects.

"We'll just have to wait and see if it lives up to the hype," Chicago Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert said. "However, if the special effects team has succeeded in making Michael Bay getting anything above a People's Choice Award seem even remotely convincing, then this has Oscar written all over it."

Tycho
02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Awww! Cool!

I believe Mr. Bay got the award already! See: it's working!

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Transformer did not win Best Visual Effects. This is good.

Unfortunately, Norbit and I Know Who Killed Me came out in 2007, and Transformers was robbed of many of the Razzies it should've earned.

The movie was really a pizza sheet.

DarthQuack
02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
I was hoping we'd all end up here commenting on what Transformers wouldn't win :P

General_Grievous
02-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't care what you guys say. "Transformers" was robbed in the VFX category by the stupid Coca-Cola polar bear. In fact, "The Golden Compass" had the worst effects out of all three of the nominated movies in the category. Eh..."Ratatouille", "Sweeney Todd" and Javier Bardem all won awards, so I'm not complaining.

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure The Golden Compass was much better, based on what I've seen, but the visuals in Transformers were too difficult to follow. It doesn't do much good to create a giant robot with a bazillion working parts that transforms into a car or a jet if all the scenes are so jumbled that it becomes impossible to figure out what's going on.

Pirates 3 had some amazing visuals, as did Harry Potter 5 (which didn't even get nominated).

General_Grievous
02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Order of the Phoenix? Eh, I don't know. Grawp looked a little iffy.

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Aside from Grawp, it was quite strong. Even Grawp looked feasible, if a bit corny.

Jargo
03-02-2008, 02:42 PM
i'm two thirds through watching transformers for the first time ad i totally get what chux is saying. it's a mess visually. some very striking sequences but shakey cam and too much dirt in the explosions and too many working parts on robots. not to mention a dumb formulaic story that feels like a cross between war games, short circuit and the iron giant.

transformers is a popcorn flick but nothing more. we picked it up from the dvd bargain bin.

Tycho
03-02-2008, 06:21 PM
transformers is a popcorn flick but nothing more.

That's all I ever wanted from it. I mean the show used to be an after-school cartoon.

Where was the memo that said we should expect Oscar-nomination screenplay writing?

Jargo
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
well i watched through to the end of the credits. Majorly anti-climactic. the way people talk about the transformers being so brilliant and memorable I thought maybe it might be pile of pants. I wasn't disappointed. and no I didn't expect oscar winning performances. i expected a film that entertained. I'm trying to think of a memorable scene but nothin's comin'.
I did think Josh Duhamel was kawaii though.

El Chuxter
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I mean the show used to be an after-school cartoon.

Where was the memo that said we should expect Oscar-nomination screenplay writing?

Even an after-school cartoon has a story.

figrin bran
03-03-2008, 01:43 AM
That's all I ever wanted from it. I mean the show used to be an after-school cartoon.

No one said anything about expecting Oscar caliber screenplays but when the current version of that cartoon completely vaporizes the movie when it comes to storytelling and character development, that doesn't say much about the movie.

Chux will back me up about Transformers Animated, I'm sure. :p

Tycho
03-03-2008, 02:16 AM
I actually don't disagree with you guys. But the rumors about Transformers 2 tell that the robots will be much more developed as characters now that they have been introduced.

El Chuxter
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
"Much more" than nothing can still be very little. I won't waste time watching it.

JediTricks
03-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Here's the thing, I know this movie actually didn't live up to what Tycho wanted, not only does he agree with a lot of our complaints, but when I talk to him in person about it there's even more stuff that doesn't jive with what he wants. I think for fans like that, they kind of lower their expectations until it meets what the movie delivers, then say it's good because at least it had Transforming Robots doing... something. But ultimately, it's the movie in their head, that's what they're drawing interest from, the one they wish it was, and any parallels - no matter how slight - are good enough to fulfill that.

Then there are folks who just don't care about the quality of a movie in any material manner, the acting and writing and directing and editing and cinematography can all be damned so long as they are dazzled by a specific formula of action, sound, color, and energy. This is the Red Bull effect, it tastes awful but it gets their blood pumping for a few hours which is more than tap water at home can say.

I guess partly it does come down to how discerning you are, how much poison you're willing to swallow with your candy, and how much previous junk you've been exposed to which has left you desensitized. Oh, and marketing, everybody loves marketing.

Tycho
03-04-2008, 01:13 AM
I agree with JediTricks on much about this part. But it's also what didn't stop me from enjoying the movie.

Here's the thing, I know this movie actually didn't live up to what Tycho wanted, not only does he agree with a lot of our complaints, but when I talk to him in person about it there's even more stuff that doesn't jive with what he wants. I think for fans like that, they kind of lower their expectations until it meets what the movie delivers, then say it's good because at least it had Transforming Robots doing... something. But ultimately, it's the movie in their head, that's what they're drawing interest from, the one they wish it was, and any parallels - no matter how slight - are good enough to fulfill that.

JediTricks
03-04-2008, 01:15 AM
But did it hinder you from seeing it for what it was, as well?

El Chuxter
03-04-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm just to the point where I've seen Independence Day and Armageddon and all these ever-increasingly action-packed movies. I can love a brainless movie. I can't get into a brainless movie that's simultaneously stupid and impossible to follow.

I also immediately am predisposed to dislike any adaptation that doesn't do the original justice. And it's pretty bad when (I say again) something based on a 20 year old 22-minute toy advertisement aimed at elementary school kids has more story than a two hour movie.

Even at his goofiest "the tenth time Unicron attacked Cybertron because I had to come up with an idea and couldn't" phases, Simon Furman (the writer of most of the UK Transformers comics and a good chunk of the American ones) could've written a script ten million times better than this movie if he'd just been decapitated.

Tycho
03-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Yes, if you mean did it hinder me from seeing what YOU see it as.

Like you saw, I enjoyed many elements to the story in spite of there being things I would have changed.

These are only some:

LIKE -

Human discovery of Transformers being on earth. From Frenzy to BumbleBee, some of this was done very well. I think the first story needed a heavy concentration on the humans.

Humor with John Turturro and Anthony Anderson, Shia LeBouf trying to get with Megan Fox, the parents and their dog, etc. BumbleBee also had some funny moments.

Peter Cullen - what's there to explain!

DISLIKE:

The AllSpark was a bad McGuffin. The movie should have been about the Decepticons trying to steal our natural energy sources and commented on our reliance on unrenewable fossil fuels. The Decepticons could have still been looking for Megatron and a lot of the plot would unfold as it did. But the AllSpark was too magical and eliminates the possibility of delving into organic life either creating something like SkyNet (from Terminator, with autonimous, sentient mechanical life developing) or organic life forced to adapt to cyborg survival techniques like General Grievous or Darth Vader. The AllSpark just lets it all "magically happen." That's a cop-out for not creating a deeper story, or the possibility of expanding one.

Some of the designs (though they grow on you) were hard to distinguish the bots and which ones were fighting. As I've watched the film now more than ANYONE on this website during my Michael Bay worship sessions ;) , I have a much clearer understanding of these sequences now. But the audience should have been able to get that from the outstart. In the end, I approve of the Camaro, the long-nose truck, the black pickup, the green fire-rescue vehicle, etc. I don't know why they had to make Starscream so darn foreign from the G1 image though. They could have still taken that robot (most elements) out of an F-22 raptor.

Starscream's rivalry with Megatron was another crucial missing element. That's part of the whole legend. In the climax when everyone is under attack and F-22 raptors are targeting Megatron, it would have been a great opportunity for Starscream to fire some plasma bursts or null-rays into Megatron when he saw his chance. It could have been established that he wasn't enthusiastic about the mission to find their lost leader in the first place (as opposed to Blackout who got one line to show he was loyal), and the two Decepticon leaders' squabbling could have followed G1 tradition, up until that point where Starscream could use this treachery to try and get rid of Megatron. It'd make the fight that much more desperate, as IN THIS MOVIE, Optimus Prime wouldn't beat Megatron, but the latter would lose because he was betrayed! That's good writing. That didn't happen.

NEW SUBJECT: Michael Bay didn't write this. I suppose he had a lot of control over what was put into the film, but wasn't as interested in the whole plot until now, when at least in terms of dollar profits, Transformers became his most successful movie ever. Now he's interested. :rolleyes:

My Michael Bay worship thing is all about grattitude that he did this and there was a movie in the first place. Now I for one like Ang Lee's "Hulk," but that style of film with Transformers would have had at least 60 minutes or more of the film being spent on Optimus Prime trying to weigh the metaphysical implications of why he exists in the first place, and then wondering about his father (or Alpha Trion, Vector Sigma, whatever).

So I think Michael Bay was a good choice. James Cameron would have been excellent as well. Maybe Paul Verhoven.

General_Grievous
03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
So I think Michael Bay was a good choice. James Cameron would have been excellent as well. Maybe Paul Verhoven.
What's funny is that if James Cameron had directed it and made the exact same movie, nobody would have complained nearly as much because Cameron isn't the arrogant d-bag that Bay is.

El Chuxter
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't think James Cameron would've made the same movie. Even his "bad" movies are still quite watchable. He has a little more talent and integrity than Bay, and it would've shown in the final product.

JediTricks
03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
First off, in talk of the sequel, one of the writers is once again turning to the fans, asking them on Don Murphy's forum for any and all great Starscream lines from G1. Again, I argue that if they have to do this, they really don't understand their source material at all and shouldn't be touching this project, but the studios seem far too content with these types of hollow, idiotic adaptations lately. And at least Don Murphy's encouraging Orci and Kurtzman to utilize the tools of the broad fanbase the internet gives them access to. But watch the damn show again and read a comic, ya lazy f**ks!

I'm just to the point where I've seen Independence Day and Armageddon and all these ever-increasingly action-packed movies. I can love a brainless movie. I can't get into a brainless movie that's simultaneously stupid and impossible to follow.Here's the thing, I thought ID4 was pretty good, and it schools TF in terms of "brainless popcorn movie" quality, it's like ID4 sets the bar for that and Michael Bay finds a way to lower that bar further every time without letting the audience catch on. I like popcorn movies quite a bit, it's just that movie studios are putting out worse and worse product - generally losing quality to assure greater audience appeal, watering 'em down for the lowest common denominator.

I also immediately am predisposed to dislike any adaptation that doesn't do the original justice. And it's pretty bad when (I say again) something based on a 20 year old 22-minute toy advertisement aimed at elementary school kids has more story than a two hour movie.Yeah, I know what you mean. My mom had little invested in the franchise but was incredibly annoyed by what the trailers and info said about this movie's insincerity towards the source material.

Yes, if you mean did it hinder me from seeing what YOU see it as.No, I mean did it hinder you from seeing the movie objectively for what was there. Were you able to take off the rose-tinted glasses ENTIRELY or did your nostalgia for the source material make that impossible?

NEW SUBJECT: Michael Bay didn't write this. I suppose he had a lot of control over what was put into the film, but wasn't as interested in the whole plot until now, when at least in terms of dollar profits, Transformers became his most successful movie ever. Now he's interested. :rolleyes:Bay is responsible for the script as he crafts where it goes. And now he's admitting he's ALWAYS done this, he always crafts the scripts of all his movies to fit his needs, so it's not just because it's making money - Bad Boys was fairly low-budget and not at all proven yet he did it there too. I know you're semi-kidding with your Bay idolatry, but stop letting him off the hook for all that's wrong with the movie while praising him for what you liked, he's responsible for all of it since he's the helmer and he's incredibly hands-on.

My Michael Bay worship thing is all about grattitude that he did this and there was a movie in the first place.Your worship is 100% misplaced, Bay is the driving force behind making this movie LESS about your dreams and more about his generic alien invasion picture. The movie would have been made without him if he had stuck to his guns and stayed with "no". The blame there is Spielberg, he's one of the producers which made this project continue into Bay's hands. But the entity you should really be grateful to is Don Murphy for pushing when nobody was paying attention, and trying to keep every interest in check - including the fans. Spielberg was the money, Murphy was the vision, Bay was the perverter of both.

What's funny is that if James Cameron had directed it and made the exact same movie, nobody would have complained nearly as much because Cameron isn't the arrogant d-bag that Bay is.It wouldn't have been the same movie because James Cameron is a better director and cares about different things and is more about personal storytelling than explosions and slo-mo jumps and cliched sunset shots. But Cameron's obsession into the Titanic the last decade has kinda turned him into a tool, and if this movie hadn't been directed by Michael Bay but been exactly the same, they would have been the subject of great scorn. In fact, only Michael Bay could have gotten away with making a turd actually be popular, people expect certain levels of trash from his works and are happy when it lives down to that, but if Spielberg had directed and it came out this bad, his career would be hampered - they'd be saying it was another "1941", a big-budget lifeless, aimless flop.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I never eat popcorn in the theater, so there is no such thing as a "popcorn movie" for me.

JediTricks
03-05-2008, 12:37 AM
There are few things I love more about the cinema than movie popcorn. Thank goodness for Target making it, the movies lately all have no appeal to me so I don't get my fix without the big red bullseye.

2-1B
03-05-2008, 01:50 AM
Kettlecorn, mothertruckers !!!!! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Kettlecorn, mothertruckers !!!!! :thumbsup:
That's outside of WM.

Tycho
03-06-2008, 03:48 AM
The Awesome Michael Bay has been reported to be scouting filming locations in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

I bet he has already determined that in Transformers 2, the location of the White House and the Penatgon will be revealed to be in Washington, D.C.

Michael Bay is a genius! :thumbsup:

However, this might also be an early indicator that Sam Witwicky goes to college on the east coast and if the rumored script about the Las Vegas Autobot / Decepticon battle proves true, Sam and BumbleBee will be making that cross-country trip on Route 66.

Jargo
03-11-2008, 05:23 PM
if Bumblebee can transform from a beat up pile of crap to a shiney new look why do the autobots keep the vehicle parts as part of their transformation into robots? they could look like whatever they wanted to as robots but they choose to include vehicle doors and wheels with tyres as part of their robot look? how dumb. and how come there's more parts when in robot form than in disguise mode? and how come optimus prime takes like four years to transform into his robot form? how come when the autobots fight the decepticons there's no shattering windshields? how can dog pee rust an autobot if bumblebee proves that rust can just be transformed into shiney shiney new paintwork? how come they didn't notice starscream slyly disappear from the battle? how ome starscream didn't wade in? how did bumblebee get his voice back?
would george bush wear red socks?

Tycho
03-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Those are all great questions. But I think each of us has to answer them for ourselves.

To that end, I provided you with my own responses as follows:

if Bumblebee can transform from a beat up pile of crap to a shiney new look why do the autobots keep the vehicle parts as part of their transformation into robots? they could look like whatever they wanted to as robots but they choose to include vehicle doors and wheels with tyres as part of their robot look? how dumb.

They have to look somewhat like the toys Hasbro can actually make. The whole genre started as and is rooted in a toy commercial. On the fictional side, they transform into what they scan and they aren't scanning other robots.

and how come there's more parts when in robot form than in disguise mode?

GM makes streamlined vehicles.

and how come optimus prime takes like four years to transform into his robot form?

It's actually only 3 1/2 years. Don't exaggerate!

how come when the autobots fight the decepticons there's no shattering windshields?

They didn't waste any time. They signed up for Geico.

how can dog pee rust an autobot if bumblebee proves that rust can just be transformed into shiney shiney new paintwork?

It depends what the dog ate and drank. Remember, Mojo was abusing prescription drugs in this film!

how come they didn't notice starscream slyly disappear from the battle? how ome starscream didn't wade in?

Starscream always gets away with cowardly but treacherous stuff.

how did bumblebee get his voice back?

Delayed reaction to the AllSpark? It would seem to me that this was a big foul-up because BumbleBee's major contact with the AllSpark was in Hoover Dam and he should have talked from that point on. The thing totally repaired Frenzy! What's up with the lost love for the Autobots?

would george bush wear red socks?

That was so unrealistic. George Bush doesn't know how to even match his socks!

Mad Slanted Powers
03-11-2008, 07:53 PM
That was so unrealistic. George Bush doesn't know how to even match his socks!Perhaps he, like Steven Wright, goes by thickness.

Jargo
03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
What's funny is that if James Cameron had directed it and made the exact same movie, nobody would have complained nearly as much because Cameron isn't the arrogant d-bag that Bay is.
I really don't like Cameron much. He's too self indulgent.and since he's raped the wreck of the Titanic my dislike of him has grown. I can't think of a single movie he's been involved with that would make my top 100 list. he's a Ridley Scott wannabe. which isn't a good thing.

back to transformers, I get that they had to look like hasbro's toys but um, they're metal robots. so they have a certain liquifaction quality while transforming. i just don't get how they manage to create windshield glass in the first place. if it isn't part of their original design. yes it's fantasy and yes it has to follow certain parameters pre-set by hasbro. it's just dumb.

oh i have another question. not being a fan of the transformers in any way, what the hell was that small one that hacked the computer on airforce 1? is that from the original cartoon or comic books or was it complete invention for the movie? all i know is it irritated the hell out of me. especially the amount of noise it made that no-one seemed to notice. and where the hell was it pulling the ninja throwing stars from? where did it get it's second body from? how? how? i've watched the movie three times and still don't see it.

how come Sam's spine wasn't snapped during the fall from the rooftop? not a single injury. i wasn't expecting super realism but he could have at least broken an arm or been cut and damaged somehow. actually given that it was shia ladouche I'd have been more happy if megatron had just stomped on him and squished him out of existence.

I'm kind of getting tired of the 'cars explode and get thrown tumbling down the street' routine in movies too. i thought we got past the wreck the most cars for a movie contest in the 1970's. al those Ford cars painted up like cop cars slamming into each other, flying off hilltops, into pools, off bridges etc etc. it's been done so often you can't call it homage anymore. it's just laziness. padding for a gaping hole in the movie.

and i'm not sitting here deliberately picking fault. theres stuff i like about transformers. but theres unfortunately also lots i don't. :cross-eye

Tycho
03-12-2008, 12:02 AM
oh i have another question. not being a fan of the transformers in any way, what the hell was that small one that hacked the computer on airforce 1? is that from the original cartoon or comic books or was it complete invention for the movie?

Frenzy was a barely-ever used cassette tape belonging to Soundwave (the walkman tape player) in the original.

First, Michael Bay wanted no giant size changes - like robots the size of walkmen players suddenly becoming as large as Optimus Prime, who was derived from a semi-truck obviously (the "magic" AllSpark is the notable exception). So there couldn't be mass changes.

But the idea of symbiotic teams (like Soundwave launching his cassette tapes in the old days) was recreated with Blackout launching Scorponok off his back, and Barricade launching Frenzy out of his chest. Basically, a little guy coming out of a big guy.

Meanwhile, as tape cassette decks are obsolete technology, homeage to Soundwave (not in the film) was paid by making Frenzy a CD playing boom-box.

So yes, he was around, but usually had no lines. Soundwave's other casette Rumble got those, and he frequently turned his arms into "earthquake making pounders." But Frenzy was easily exploited for a suggested homeage role, that wasn't quite Frenzy, Rumble, or Soundwave.

I thought it was a good idea and well done.

and where the hell was it pulling the ninja throwing stars from? where did it get it's second body from? how? how? i've watched the movie three times and still don't see it.

They were created by CGI of course. To add to the magic of the movie, they just came from nowhere because it would have been more boring if he didn't have them at all. But a toy of Frenzy suggests that the ninja stars were CD's that he transformed into throwing weapons. That's sort of a cool idea - if he held the shape of his CD deck somewhere when he transformed into a robot. (The toy does, but it is highly inaccurate to the movie).

how come Sam's spine wasn't snapped during the fall from the rooftop? not a single injury. i wasn't expecting super realism but he could have at least broken an arm or been cut and damaged somehow.

He was protected by the power of Michael Bay! That is an awesome force in the grand scheme of the universe.

I'm kind of getting tired of the 'cars explode and get thrown tumbling down the street' routine in movies too. i thought we got past the wreck the most cars for a movie contest in the 1970's. al those Ford cars painted up like cop cars slamming into each other, flying off hilltops, into pools, off bridges etc etc. it's been done so often you can't call it homage anymore. it's just laziness. padding for a gaping hole in the movie.

Ah, but the difference is that these were GM cars flying off hiltops, into pools, off bridges, etc. etc.! I agree - it's been overdone with Ford already ;)

and i'm not sitting here deliberately picking fault. theres stuff i like about transformers.

I wonder if you could list those things you liked? (This is a question, as negative criticism seems to rule the day with several very opinionated posters who write about this movie here).

figrin bran
05-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Hasbro has reacquired the Sunbow library. Hopefully this means that the GI Joe and Transformer DVD sets can be completed as Rhino never finished all the seasons.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Rhino did finish Transformers, though. I've got the whole set in the next room.

Hopefully Hasbro gets someone to issue DVD sets other than the pack-ins in the two upcoming GIJoe figure/DVD combos. That would be a very expensive way to build a collection, and result in a whole lot of duplicate figures.

El Chuxter
06-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Looks like the subtitle for Transformers 2 will not be "Another Steaming Load of Crap," as it should be, but "The Revenge of the Fallen."

Isn't The Fallen a bit obscure to bring into the film franchise? I bet 90% of the people who've posted in this thread have no clue who he is. Even if they saw the Titanium figure, they still probably have no clue.

Tycho
06-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I have no clue.

I want Hound, Wheeljack, and Mirage in the next film.

I'm digging how Animated did Onslaught as a armored SWAT transport and think he'd work for a new Decepticon for sure.

A Decepticon triple changer could work, too - but from what I gather, ANY Cybertronian could be a triple-changer or more in terms of the movie fantasy. Hasbro still making toys like that is pretty cool though. But Astrotrain might be very interesting to see. The other Seekers would feel right, too. Rumble and Ravage, likewise.

I don't know what they should do about Soundwave.

Bringing Jazz back when they said he was dead and it's ON THE DARN SCREEN is kind of retarded. Maybe the actor has a contract for all 3 films and it's just part of keeping the movie secrecy to not reveal he's now playing Mirage or something? He's a voice-actor, right? He could play a Decepticon and we'd have to read the credits to know it. Ironhide was traditionally voiced by Peter Cullen, but everyone accepted him as both a different, and MAJOR character in the G1 cartoon, although Cullen was in the sound studio essentially talking to himself in different voices.

plasticfetish
06-05-2008, 05:10 PM
...but "The Revenge of the Fallen."Think it actually refers to that character? Or instead, just a general reference to Megatron and crew... or maybe both.

El Chuxter
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Early rumors did have Soundwave portrayed as a priest of some sort who brings Megatron back from the dead. If The Fallen appears as a supernatural evil Transformer (as he's been portrayed in the, to my knowledge, only appearance he ever had), Soundwave could use the power of The Fallen to revive Megatron.

Of course, that's opening a whole can of worms, because it comes dangerously close to Primus and Unicron.

plasticfetish
06-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Of course, that's opening a whole can of worms, because it comes dangerously close to Primus and Unicron.I'd assume that they probably want to open that can at some point anyway. Probably in a (god forbid) third movie.

Tycho
06-05-2008, 10:31 PM
The genius we should all worship that is his High Exhaltedness MICHAEL BAY had originally said that there would be 3 Transformers live action films. He wanted to do a franchise, and trilogies are the standard. It might be TOTALLY AWESOME if the Transformers movies could continue on for a lot longer - like how there were 13 "Jason films," and so forth.

There are a lot more masturbation jokes that could be included with each subsequent film.

figrin bran
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Looks like the subtitle for Transformers 2 will not be "Another Steaming Load of Crap," as it should be, but "The Revenge of the Fallen."

Isn't The Fallen a bit obscure to bring into the film franchise? I bet 90% of the people who've posted in this thread have no clue who he is. Even if they saw the Titanium figure, they still probably have no clue.

I think you're giving Mr. Bay too much credit as far as knowledge of Transformers lore. What he defines as the "fallen" is probably the 'Cons from the first film.

Moreover, on Hasbro's site http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsID=59522272-D56F-E112-4C783175A8BBBAD6 (http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsI, D=59522272-D56F-E112-4C783175A8BBBAD6),
they said to "expect a key character from the first film to make a dramatic comeback and attempt to settle a score".

JediTricks
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I predict "Rush Hour 2" levels of failure here, people will realize this one sucks, and by extension recognize that the first one sucked too, they were just fooled into thinking it didn't.

Tycho
06-07-2008, 06:18 PM
No they won't!!! :upset: